RCCL vs. Chilkoot in Skagway HELP!

Ohio-C-Luver

I posted on the RCCL site hoping to here about both tours, RCCL's 8 hr one vs Chilkoots 7 1/2 hr and 9 hr tours. Everyone seems to love Chilkoot, but no one mentioned taking the RCCL tour. Does RCCL take longer cause they might do a small tour of downtown Skagway or do they just linger longer in the other places???? Also does RCCL stop at Bennett or Emerald Lake? RCCL tour says it makes a stop close to Bennett Lake, but that's all I can find out.:eek:

We would appreciate any input as we are seeing Alaska for the first time, not even sure what length 7.5 or 9 hr tour with Chilkoot, or the 8 1/4 hr tour with RCCL. So many questions about Alaska, but one port at a time! :confused: LOL Your advise is extremely welcomed here.:D

Jan

RCCL tour says it makes a stop close to Bennett Lake, but that's all I can find out.

All tours stop at the village of Carcross, which is on Lake Bennett. The ghost town of Bennett is 26 miles south, accessible only by rail.

The RCI tour is on a big tour bus, and there is more time involved with loading/unloading. The 9 hour Chilkoot tour is different in the train portion, so read the descriptions carefully.

Post the actual tour, if you want some detailed information.

Here's the description of the Royal Caribbean Tour:

Yukon Exploration & White Pass Scenic Railway: Explore the historic White Pass Trail of '98 from several different perspectives. Board a motorcoach, designed for highway travel, as you begin your expedition along the historic Trail of '98 to the White Pass summit and into the Yukon. Your driver/guide will regale you with true stories of the stampeders who traveled through the rugged pass in search of their golden dreams. As you travel along the footsteps of the original gold seekers, you'll stop at several scenic areas: Moore Bridge, Bove Island and the Welcome to the Yukon sign for photos. Your driver will point out the historical sites of Pitchfork Falls, the White Pass Summit and Dead Horse Gulch. After you pass through the 3,290 foot White Pass Summit, travel through Tormented Valley and visit the village of Carcross near Lake Bennett.

A barbeque lunch awaits at Caribou Crossing Trading Post, complete with chicken, baked potato, cole slaw, fresh rolls, Grandma's homemade donuts and coffee/tea. While at the trading post you will not want to miss the dramatic wildlife exhibit in the museum and their recent addition - a Wooly Mammoth. Experience the warmth and playfulness of the puppy camp before heading back on the motorcoach to downtown Carcross. Your driver will point out the sights of interest on your way to visit the Carcross Yukon Visitor Reception Centre where you have time to visit the town on your own. Reboard the motorcoach and head back to Fraser, where you will board the White Pass and Yukon Route railroad for a scenic and historic rail journey back to Skagway that you will not soon forget.

Since this excursion crosses an international border all participants must bring proper international identification, including proof of citizenship (e.g., passport). Tour order may vary.

So I think the key facts are:

Motorcoach designed for highway travel (as opposed to those off-road buses)

Stop at Moore Bridge

Stop at Bove Island

Stop at Welcome to Yukon sign

Stop at Carcross

Lunch at Caribou Crossing

Time for Museum / puppy camp

Back to Carcross

Stop at Fraser

Train down to Skagway

And of course - it might go the opposite direction, so we must always remember: "sit on left side up the mountain, right side down the mountain"

All this for the low price of $178.60/adult if you book before 12/31/09. There is a 5% discount sale through the end of the year - regular price is $188.

We did the bus/train combo with RCI in Sept 2008. At that time it was listed as a 7 1/2 hour tour. We had a couple other stops for photo opps in addition to those listed by milford_cruiser AND a stop at Emerald Lake as well. We had no problems with time being wasted with loading/unloading the bus.....maybe we were lucky and just had a very co-operative group. The bus was nearly full and there were a few empty seats in the train car. The lunch at Caribou Crossing was good, our driver/guide was great and even though the weather was misty and foggy, the scenery was spectacular. Would not hesitate to book through the cruiseline again.

The direction and way of travel determines where you want to try to sit for the best views. Going UP by BUS....sit on the RIGHT side (opposite side of driver) and TRAIN back to Skagway....sit on the RIGHT side. If going train up first, sit on the left side and the left side of the bus (same as driver) going back to Skagway.

Motorcoach designed for highway travel (as opposed to those off-road buses)

Stop at Moore Bridge

Stop at Bove Island

Stop at Welcome to Yukon sign

Stop at Carcross

Lunch at Caribou Crossing

Time for Museum / puppy camp

Back to Carcross

Stop at Fraser

Train down to Skagway

Ack. That's it?!? I sound like a broken record, but rent a car! You're basically paying $178/pp to let a tour guide drive a bus on one road and pull over to the side of the road sometimes to let you take pictures. Forget about those off-road buses...for $178 they had better be those amphibious buses that stop to let you take pictures *ON* Bove Island! People must get nervous they'll get lost or with the liability issues. People have their own tastes, I guess, but this stuff makes the voices inside my head scream out, and then I have to take the pills the Obama health care doctors told me I have to take!

The direction and way of travel determines where you want to try to sit for the best views. Going UP by BUS....sit on the RIGHT side (opposite side of driver) and TRAIN back to Skagway....sit on the RIGHT side. If going train up first, sit on the left side and the left side of the bus (same as driver) going back to Skagway.

Ok - good clarification:

Bus first - stay right always.

Train first - stay left always.

The current RCI tour is listed as 8 1/4 hours.

..for $178 they had better be those amphibious buses that stop to let you take pictures *ON* Bove Island!

The one-way train from Fraser to Skagway that is part of that tour is $81 by itself. Lunch at Caribou Crossing is another $16 or so....

Ack. That's it?!? I sound like a broken record, but rent a car! You're basically paying $178/pp to let a tour guide drive a bus on one road and pull over to the side of the road sometimes to let you take pictures. Forget about those off-road buses...for $178 they had better be those amphibious buses that stop to let you take pictures *ON* Bove Island! People must get nervous they'll get lost or with the liability issues. People have their own tastes, I guess, but this stuff makes the voices inside my head scream out, and then I have to take the pills...

Don't forget the stories! And of course, lunch and puppies.

On the surface, you're right. And I have no issue with renting a car and doing some driving. But there are a few other considerations in my case, and others may have similar situations:

• 7 of us traveling, so it would have to be a minivan or larger or multiple vehicles.
  • Driver(s) doesn't get to enjoy the views (as much) along the way
  • Good to hear the narration and information
  • Good to be able to ask questions
  • Tour driver knows all the best stops already
  • Get the train view and experience in addition to the road view
  • Lunch and puppies!

Seriously - people should consider what you're saying. 7 x $178 is over $1200 for our family to take this ride. I'm sure we could do it more cheaply, but not without losing some aspects of this excursion that are important to us.

And finally, remember that OP (OH-C-luver) was looking for a comparison between this tour and the similar tours offered by Chilkoot for about $175. The relative merits of tour versus self-drive is a different debate.

Seriously - people should consider what you're saying. 7 x $178 is over $1200 for our family to take this ride. I'm sure we could do it more cheaply, but not without losing some aspects of this excursion that are important to us.

Call Chilkoot - a quantity discount could give you a huge break on the price without losing anything. In fact gaining a personal tour plus a Emerald Lake.

Don't forget the stories! And of course, lunch and puppies.

On the surface, you're right. And I have no issue with renting a car and doing some driving. But there are a few other considerations in my case, and others may have similar situations:

• 7 of us traveling, so it would have to be a minivan or larger or multiple vehicles.
  • Driver(s) doesn't get to enjoy the views (as much) along the way
  • Good to hear the narration and information
  • Good to be able to ask questions
  • Tour driver knows all the best stops already
  • Get the train view and experience in addition to the road view
  • Lunch and puppies!

You have some errors in these ideas which you may want to consider between the cruiseline and independent bus. Do not count on the "tour" driver of the cruise contracted bus to even be an Alaskan/Canadian, but most likely to be a first time seasonal driver, who is given a very basic and sometimes, not accurate script. The stops are "scheduled" and like it or not, the bigger and fuller the bus, which they have, the more time loading/unloading. The train is an excellent experience with a DIFFERENT route and views. (although many posts, in error, will claim they are the same, they aren't).

Frankly the driver, has all the clear views and misses nothing with driving. I've done it many many times. It's a simple, easy 2 lane road, not a 8 lane freeway, I have to keep track of exits. :)

I recommend, no matter how you go, purchase and print out, take with you Murray's Guide. Reading through this ahead, will really enhance any way you get there.

The above poster, is looking for a tour, stating, that is what is important to them. :) Hopefully this further information will help the planning.

Thanks Everyone great answers. Yes, we are looking for "the tour". DH is on vacation also, and he enjoys scenery. We try never to rent a car unless we're staying somewhere for a few days, and will get to know the lay of the land. We've had quite a few rentals breakdown on us, and would hate to be in the middle of no where in AK when that happened! Yikes!

Again thanks to all, still have the same question. We usually don't take the ships tours but these are priced pretty equally, and don't see the advantage of the Chilkoot tour except that it is less crowded. Does anyone know if Chilkoot's lunch is provided in their prices or do you have to pay extra?????

Jan

Thanks Everyone great answers. Yes, we are looking for "the tour". DH is on vacation also, and he enjoys scenery. We try never to rent a car unless we're staying somewhere for a few days, and will get to know the lay of the land. We've had quite a few rentals breakdown on us, and would hate to be in the middle of no where in AK when that happened! Yikes!

Again thanks to all, still have the same question. We usually don't take the ships tours but these are priced pretty equally, and don't see the advantage of the Chilkoot tour except that it is less crowded. Does anyone know if Chilkoot's lunch is provided in their prices or do you have to pay extra?????

Jan

I've found that in Alaska the independent excursions are about the same cost as the ship's tours, but are consistantly better tours - for various reasons based on the specific tour - fewer participants, better guides, longer times spent places - on some tours - all of the above.

Yes, lunch in included with Chilkoot's 7 1/2 hour tour.

I've found that in Alaska the independent excursions are about the same cost as the ship's tours, but are consistantly better tours - for various reasons based on the specific tour - fewer participants, better guides, longer times spent places - on some tours - all of the above.

Yes, lunch in included with Chilkoot's 7 1/2 hour tour.

Thank You! We've always found so far in our few cruises, that we prefer the smaller more intimate groups of a private tour also. The guides really don't have to be better, it's just that they have a lower ratio of questions and can get to everyone easier, and answer the questions. We'll probably do Chilkoot, DH always leaves it up to me cause he knows I get to all details before I ever sign up with anyone! LOL

Thanks Everyone, we're goin' Chilkoot in Skagway! Wahoo, only just 296 days till our 1st Alaskan Cruise!

Jan

Call Chilkoot - a quantity discount could give you a huge break on the price without losing anything. In fact gaining a personal tour plus a Emerald Lake.

Now *THAT* would be a good reason to choose one over the other. I'll see what they can offer and let people know.

Heard back from Chilkoot today - no group rate.

I'm still going to switch over - as Yukon points out it's a more personal tour and explicitly lists Emerald Lake.

We booked with Chilkoot for those same reasons. RCCL isn't providing the tour for Bennett and Emerald Lakes on our cruise, it's a 9 hr tour and more expensive. Chilkoot is offering both lakes and doing the tour in 7 1/2 hrs. We're happy with our choice! Now we'll have a few hours to explore Skagway when we get back!

Thanks to all that replied with your comments, they were a great help!

I will be booking with Chilkoot for our July cruise. We are scheduled to dock at 7 AM. Would we be better off to book the 8:30 tour (bus UP - train DOWN) to give us more time to get to the tour? Does Chilkoot pick you up at the ship for either or both tours?

Chilkoot picks you up at the ship for both tours. You actually dock at 4-5:00am, so you have lots of time to get to either tour. My personal choice is to do the train up, for the same reason I like northbound cruises - the scenery gets better and better that way. YMMV :)

Archived