Disbelief at some if the questions raised lately!

G.M.T.

It wouldn't be illegal to take alcohol into a hotel ashore. Many folks going to a resort for a week's vacation would take wine or beer to enjoy on their balcony or in the room and still buy the same at restaurants or the pool.

While it may not be illegal, surely we should abide by the rules of the shipping line we choose to sail with. whether we agree with those rules or not.

I am with most of you on this, as in the past, we have been allowed to take the odd bottle of wine ect, back with Costa. However it is again the actions of a few that abuse the rules that stop it for the rest, who do it in moderation.

I would love to be able to take a Special bottle of 'Bubbly' for our 25th next year. But it clearly states no alcohol, & I will abide by that.

When I read of all the ways on these boards of beating laid down rules, I despair of the human race, what a way to teach kids, right from wrong.

Tenpin, I'm with you. A cruise ship is not the same as a hotel. While I might sympathize with someone who wants to bring aboard a bottle of his favorite booze that is not available in the ship's bars, too many people are intent on overdoing it and ruining everything for the rest of us. A short while back one CC member was quite proud of the fact that he successfully smuggled aboard an entire suitcase filled with beer and liquor - enough to supply an entire bar in his cabin. I mean, what's that guy trying to do - sail on an enjoyable cruise to see part of the world previously unknown, or run a 24 hour party to keep himself inebriated (and probably disturbing his fellow passengers)! There's nothing wrong with having a drink or two with friends and the bars on the ship are set up specifically for this...

It wouldn't be illegal to take alcohol into a hotel ashore. Many folks going to a resort for a week's vacation would take wine or beer to enjoy on their balcony or in the room and still buy the same at restaurants or the pool.

Some people just don't get it!

A hotel is a hotel. A cruise ship of a mode of transport just like an aircraft. It is not only the cruise lines trying to protect their profits it is also a question of:

Security

How many of you smugglers will try and smuggle Alcohol onto an aircraft? Try explaining that to Homeland Security: "I just wanted to take wine or beer to enjoy on our window seat".

Everyone here says that Costa has the cheapest rates in the Caribbean, but the cheap skates still try to smuggle to save a few dollars. Next they will be taking their own food.

If you want to drink on your balcony then buy a drinks package. Costa has various drinks packages (i.e. X1, J2,) also the daily cocktail and now the twice daily Happy Hours. What more do you want.

When you book a cruise, you are signing a contract with the cruise line to abide with the contracts terms and conditions.. If the cruise says you cannot bring alcohol onboard thewn you can't, if you try then it is

Illegal

Ron

I feel sure they do look. And yes, CC as a whole has a huge membership. My thought was this board is very scarcely used in comparison to other line's forums. The RCI board here is very active. The Disboards for Disney, etc. Costa is just not going to get a lot of feedback by hanging out here. The percentage of cruisers who have shown up here seems infinitesimally small. Other corporate offices can glean a lot of feedback from some other message boards. It is a likely a great source of information. I would love to see a lot more discussion on the Costa forum; even if it includes things I don't particularly have an interest in. Everyone has something in common-they are either thinking about or anticipating Costa, or they are lucky enough be experienced Costa guests.

Maybe the percentage of alcohol and upgrade questions here is higher because of the lack of other questions.

Perhaps one of the reasons there are fewer people discussing Costa on this forum is because most of them are not Enlish speakers

Perhaps one of the reasons there are fewer people discussing Costa on this forum is because most of them are not Enlish speakers

McDermott,

Capricruise has been creating hell lately, trying to contact you about your experiences on the Costa Marina.:D:mad::rolleyes::eek:?

Totally agree about that English speakers (US, Britain and the Colonies) are in the minority when it comes to Costa passengers.

Ron

. Why is it that things that we would consider illeagal ashore, are okay to try boarding a ship.

'

To those seeming to imply I am a scofflaw and a alcoholic, I actually don't drink and mostly even abide by the posted speed limits. My comment regarding the hotel was directed to the above quote. Bringing alcohol onto a ship could most closely be related to taking it into a hotel on land, IMO. That is not illegal. There is a big difference between breaking a law and not.

And for those of you worried about my children and what I am teaching them; trust me, they are just fine. One will be paroled shortly. The rehab center will spring the youngest for the cruise and I am sure the attorney will be able to get junior off again.

alwaysfrantic The youngest looks so cute in his mugg shot. I also understand your oldest has received his law degree and will be taking the bar exam when he gets out And junior is going to be a stock broker. LMAO I loved your response. I'm sure you will have a great time with that sense of humor. You can write to me

Sal

Rikers Island Resort and Spa:)

cell # 8134 Phone # unlisted at the time

To those seeming to imply I am a scofflaw and a alcoholic, I actually don't drink and mostly even abide by the posted speed limits. My comment regarding the hotel was directed to the above quote. Bringing alcohol onto a ship could most closely be related to taking it into a hotel on land, IMO. That is not illegal. There is a big difference between breaking a law and not.

And for those of you worried about my children and what I am teaching them; trust me, they are just fine. One will be paroled shortly. The rehab center will spring the youngest for the cruise and I am sure the attorney will be able to get junior off again.

Too funny...love it!!!

When you book a cruise, you are signing a contract with the cruise line to abide with the contracts terms and conditions.. If the cruise says you cannot bring alcohol onboard thewn you can't, if you try then it is Illegal

Looks like someone needs to read up on contract law. It's not illegal to violate contracts. Fortunately cruise lines do not have authority to create or enforce laws. They do have the right to confiscate alcohol if it's brought aboard in violation of the contract of carriage (and they can choose to refuse boarding, but that's unlikely in the extreme), but that's the limit of their power.

FWIW, I'm not an alcohol smuggler. I did smuggle some liquor aboard on our first cruise but found it wasn't worth the hassle so I haven't done it since. When sailing Carnival we do bring a couple of bottles of wine, but that's specifically allowed by Carnival.

Looks like someone needs to read up on contract law. It's not illegal to violate contracts. Fortunately cruise lines do not have authority to create or enforce laws. They do have the right to confiscate alcohol if it's brought aboard in violation of the contract of carriage (and they can choose to refuse boarding, but that's unlikely in the extreme), but that's the limit of their power.

FWIW, I'm not an alcohol smuggler. I did smuggle some liquor aboard on our first cruise but found it wasn't worth the hassle so I haven't done it since. When sailing Carnival we do bring a couple of bottles of wine, but that's specifically allowed by Carnival.

A contract is a contract and you signup to abide with the terms and conditions therein.

They do have the authority to enforce that you contract, you stated yourself that they can refuse boarding (without any recourse to reimbursment). Also the cruise line can black list the "offender" from any future cruise.

For the cruise lines it is not so much the smuggling, as that is treated more of a game of hide and seek, but the secuity issue.

Ron

A contract is a contract and you signup to abide with the terms and conditions therein.

They do have the authority to enforce that you contract, you stated yourself that they can refuse boarding (without any recourse to reimbursment). Also the cruise line can black list the "offender" from any future cruise.

Agreed. But it's not "illegal" to violate a contract. There can be repercussions, but they're not criminal.

For the cruise lines it is not so much the smuggling, as that is treated more of a game of hide and seek, but the secuity issue.

That's the party line, but it's laughable. Cruise lines ban carrying on alcohol because they absolutely depend on on-board alcohol sales to turn a profit. The ban is a necessary condition for the rock-bottom fares we get today. If security were an issue, they'd turn people away from the bars when they've obviously had enough. I can tell you from 6 cruises on two lines that I've seen a lot of people who should have been cut off but weren't. Heck, I'm sure there have been occasions when I was that guy.

I suggest that whenever this subject is raised again the word SMUGGLING is changed, because some feel this is okay to do.

Why do you think the security has been replaced by x-ray machine and sometimes body searches, to find a few bottles of wine/spirits.

WE all ACCEPT that these precautions are absolutly necessary at our Airports for our own safety, why is boarding a ship any different?

Just once that all it will take. A small bottle of the wrong liquid, can blow a plane out of the sky, why should a few large bottles not damage/hole a ship.

Once again the majority suffer for the actions on a few.

Archived