Do balconies on the Mariner open between on the Hump cabins

Spyder59

I do not know the answer to this personally. However I've read several posts stating that while they CAN be opened, its up to the ships captain, and Captain Johnney doesn't allow it. That said, our family has 3 connecting hump balconies and we were SOOO looking forward to it all being open. Well...being the eternal optimist....I will continue to hope we can do it!!!!

On Mariner, the balcony dividers are part of the ship....none open!

This is inaccurate. They used to open up, but lately the captains have said NO!

The 1st generation voyager class has dividers that cannot be opened, but not the 2nd.

On Mariner, the balcony dividers are part of the ship....none open!

That is not true. The balconies on Mariner (and Navigator) are not constructed like the earlier Voyager Class ships. With the exception of the stern balconies, they can all be opened. However, for some reason, it seems as though the Captain is preventing it.

:eek: No way, can't open them! We have sailed Carnival and they open between connecting cabins. On the Mariner, the balcony's don't open?

We always open ours on Carnival and Princess......we were disappointed that they wouldn't let us do this on the Mariner:( Maybe you can figure out what type of tool can be used:confused::D

Okay - I've been on the Mariner and stayed in a hump balcony with family members in the cabin beside us. We asked the stateroom attendent to have the divider opened and it was not a problem. We kept the divider open and loved having the huge shared balcony during the cruise. Of course, this was when the Mariner was sailing out of Port Canaveral, so I don't know if things have changed since she moved to another port. For your sake - I hope that you can still open the dividers because you'd love it! Good luck!

So here we are with the balcony door open between our cabins.

The OP specifically asked about the hump cabins and ours were not on the hump.

The problem was, when we asked, they said they would try but many doors are stuck (rust?!) and they do not know which ones will still open. Maintainence worked on this door for almost one half hour to get it open. This is probably why they now have a policy of not even trying to open them. So as others have stated, yes they can be opened, although they may not want to open them. As you can see in the second picture, this was on the Mariner, a little while back in Sept. 2006.

By the way, how do you get the pictures to display in this box? All I ever get is the thumbnails!

100_0289.jpg.b0d46bcd757f55e36b0212cb417033b6.jpg

100_0273.jpg.34d6716738274ee668d051d30b77ecae.jpg

We were on the Mariner a few weeks ago and had 12 rooms together. We asked if the balconies could be opened and were told "NO". When I said we had done it before, he said "Not recently I bet".

I asked why they could not be opened (when clearly they were meant to be able to be opened) and he said "Safety Reasons".

He=Room Steward btw

It was a bummer because we were looking forward to having them open. Sure didn't ruin the trip though!:D

I was with a group of friends on the Mariner in April (hump cabins) and this is what we were told. The balcony doors do open, but there was an incident where an open balcony door hit a person causing injury, probably due to high winds, so for safety reason the captain will not allow them to be opened again.

On the newer ships the doors slide out of the way, so are safer.

When I was on the Navigator, they opened them all one day for cleaning, so I do know that they open. Has anyone on the Mariner ever given an explanation as to why the Captain forbids it? :confused:

They told us the Captain will not allow it do to safety reasons........

Archived