RCCL refuses to get involved.

Guest maddycat

I was on the Oct. 29th cruise and returned to find my car coated with overspray. Contacted RCCL and was told to call Kevin Sullivan at Bayonne Drydock. Spoke to him earlier today and was told to take my car to a detailer and to fax the estimate along with the parking receipt to him and they would take care of it. He also said that they are working to correct the problem. Other than it not happening, what more could we ask for?

I was on the Oct. 29th cruise and returned to find my car coated with overspray. Contacted RCCL and was told to call Kevin Sullivan at Bayonne Drydock. Spoke to him earlier today and was told to take my car to a detailer and to fax the estimate along with the parking receipt to him and they would take care of it. He also said that they are working to correct the problem. Other than it not happening, what more could we ask for?

So much for the argument that some folks have made on this thread that RCI probably is not even aware of the problem. They are so aware that they even know the name of the man to contact.

Same thing for me. My 1 year old mini van is covered with the overspray. If you touch it, the van feels like sandpaper. The windshield is the worst of it. I can not drive in the rain at all.

I am a little biased, but this must have happened to the majority of the cars in the lot. Also, I bet a good percentage never reported it. These are the people that don't use cruise critic, and may have thought that it was salt all over the car.

The drydock is going to pay for my repair, but what a headache this has been for us. We are the family that appeared on New12. They came all the way to our house in Jackson for the story.

Now, I personally feel that Royal Caribbean needs to notify people of this problem. This gives people a choice. I am very angry that I did not know this problem was going on before I left. I would have called a car service and avoided this headache.

Beyond that, Royal Caribbean is not responsible.

We don't think that we are asking too much. When we cruise with RCCL or Celebrity from Cape Liberty we want to drive to the port. We also want to be able to park our car safely. When we return from a cruise we expect to find our car in good condition.

Use a canvas cover, I work at Newark Liberty Airport and park in a lot directly at the end of the runway and they work. RCCL has absolutely no responsibility what so ever. Port facilities are overseen, secured and provided by the municipality. RCCL is a tenant of port as is an Airline is to an Airport, An Airline has no responsability if your car is damaged on an airport parking lot either. Hint. The Port of Bayonne secured by th Port Authority of NY/NJ I would start with them, not RCCL.

Use a canvas cover, I work at Newark Liberty Airport and park in a lot directly at the end of the runway and they work. RCCL has absolutely no responsibility what so ever. Port facilities are overseen, secured and provided by the municipality. RCCL is a tenant of port as is an Airline is to an Airport, An Airline has no responsability if your car is damaged on an airport parking lot either. Hint. The Port of Bayonne secured by th Port Authority of NY/NJ I would start with them, not RCCL.

A cover will work to keep the paint off sure, but if it's a cheapo and the wind gets it flapping around, you'll be missing paint.

I can't believe this is still going on after all of these years! :eek: Literally, for the past 3 years I have been reading posts from people who had their cars damaged at Cape Liberty. I have never read about damage to a car at any other port, just Cape Liberty. You would think someone would do something.

I have no advice. But I wouldn't park my car there. I already changed my cruise from Explorer out of Cape Liberty because its easier/more economical for us to just cruise out of Florida although we live in PA.

But paying top dollar for a cruise out of NJ. Paying top dollar to PARK in NJ (the prices for that port are outrageous). And then coming home to a damaged car? No thanks. :eek:

Make sure your car is clean of dirt before putting any cover on. Paint overspray can be removed with the right materials, but scratches caused by dragging a cover over a dirty car is harder to fix. Just ask me how I know!

I meant a cab ride for those who live close to the port, and the rest of us are flying into our ports anyway, so there is very little parking issue going on.

Problem is that not many people live close to this port--not like Miami or Ft Lauderdale at all if that is what you are thinking. Limos don't even want to go there from LI where we live..

IMHO, Filing with one's own ins co for something like this will only raise your own rates...We are buying the car cover & just take this one already booked cruise from that port--

Overall, although the cruise line may not be legally liable, it is fact that the cruise lines have quite a bit of influenece over the ports & port related services since they are large sources of business there--if cruise business dries up, so do port & ancillary revenues...so I believe the cruise line should weigh in & do the best it can for their customers to have better parking.. In some ports--they even construct port facilities--

Clean & safe parking is not too much to ask!

Exactly why you don't buy cheap. You get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

what cover do you rec. for a one time use ?

Is it mostly white paint? we are planning to bring an old black car--& don;t want speckles!

For me its less expensive to get a town car to take me there then to park for ten days. I won't bring my car near this place. If they don't care about the safety of my car, they don't get my money.

Carnival Victory, 2003

Carnival Victory, 2004

RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009

RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010

you do not have to park your car we live within a hour of cape liberty why dont you just have take a shuttle there then you dont have to worry about the paint. parking is only optional people who fly into this port dont have to deal with there cars its only optional

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Of course you are correct about the airlines and the airport and comparing it to RCI and the Port Authority. However, what do you think would have more influence... complaints to the Aiport Authorlity from a bunch of unrelated people about their cars or a call from American Airlines telling the Authority that they are getting sick and tired of all the complaints from their customers about damaged cars? I think if RCI said fix the problem or we are going to pack up our 1030 ft. multi million dollar toy and go play elsewhere the problem might get fixed fairly quickly.

Personally, I'd like to see RCI/Celebrity return to NYC. It is a much better location.... in my opinion.

Oh what's wrong with Beautiful Newark / Elizabeth New Jersey? :rolleyes::D:p

I mean hell, they have the Thomas Edison REST STOP! Now THAT'S AWESOME!

I do like New Jersey, but never envisioned it as a major Cruise Port like FLL or MIA. RCI pulling out would make a statement.

Call me ignorant, but wasn't there an issue with clearing the Verrazano? I might not know what I'm talking about here....considering the Dream just arrived there.

Problem is that not many people live close to this port--not like Miami or Ft Lauderdale at all if that is what you are thinking. Limos don't even want to go there from LI where we live..

IMHO, Filing with one's own ins co for something like this will only raise your own rates...We are buying the car cover & just take this one already booked cruise from that port--

Overall, although the cruise line may not be legally liable, it is fact that the cruise lines have quite a bit of influenece over the ports & port related services since they are large sources of business there--if cruise business dries up, so do port & ancillary revenues...so I believe the cruise line should weigh in & do the best it can for their customers to have better parking.. In some ports--they even construct port facilities--

Clean & safe parking is not too much to ask!

RCL only utilizes that port on average of 4 times per month. The "port and ancillary revenue" that RCL brings into that port are nothing compared to the container shipping industry that continues to grow

there. That space where the parking lot is will go away so fast to some marshy field closer to the Liberty Science Center and cruise customers would be bussed in (for a fee) :D. That port was an old military base and when the US government was reducing the number of active military bases some years ago, the City of Bayonne was raising it's hand so high, yelling "OOHH OOHH Pick Me, Pick Me!" Since it is a commercial port it brings in Hundreds on Millions of revenue dollars to the local economy annually and RCL is by far not the major player there at all and really has little say there. What is good them is the ports close proximity the Newark Airport and the hugh local population in the area. INMO, I do believe that we could see a frrdom class ship there in the future. Just look at the pricing, Those trips command very high fares and are rarely discounted.

Of course you are correct about the airlines and the airport and comparing it to RCI and the Port Authority. However, what do you think would have more influence... complaints to the Aiport Authorlity from a bunch of unrelated people about their cars or a call from American Airlines telling the Authority that they are getting sick and tired of all the complaints from their customers about damaged cars? I think if RCI said fix the problem or we are going to pack up our 1030 ft. multi million dollar toy and go play elsewhere the problem might get fixed fairly quickly.

Personally, I'd like to see RCI/Celebrity return to NYC. It is a much better location.... in my opinion.

Those piers in Manhattan are a dump and those rat infested buildings should be torn down. They are also not very convenient to get too. Taxi lines are terribly long when there are two ships in port. I live in NYC and find it easier to travel to Bayonne than Midtown (less than 15 minutes with no traffic). Plus a taxi from EWR is only $26.00 with the toll vs. $73.00 to Manhattan. That $47.00 would be better spent on a couple of drinks at sailaway, and a bottle of wine for my first nights dinner. :)

Originally Posted by bmazzo viewpost.gif

Those trips command very high fares and are rarely discounted.

Really???

You obviously are not referring to the NY resident promo for Jan 14th. 10 nights for a cat L for $699 pp + tax.

Well What do you know? But the D3 for $999 (NY Res Rate) is sooo much better. no insides cabins for me. I get cloustrophobic. Balcony or Suite for me only thanks. Anyway, something to think about.:D

RCL only utilizes that port on average of 4 times per month.

Yes, but there are always cars there and in April, 2010 Celebrity Summit will be sailing out of there for 6 months straight. So you will have 2 ships sailing. Explorer holds well over 3,000 and Summit holds 2,000. I can't wait until then and see how many cars are damaged during this period.

Archived