Tell me about the Diamond Princess

JAMS1

Please tell me what makes the Diamond special - are there ship secrets - Special places to experience the cruise we should know about - Music, relaxing, food etc...

This is a family cruise, so we did not choose the ship and I am a bit stressed about the size of the ship - will it be crowded - mega lines etc...

We are used to much smaller ships - but when the folks say, "how about a cruise, we say, we'll call our TA and book it.

We spent Christmas on the Diamond two years ago, and just spent two weeks in Alaska on her this last summer. It is by far our favorite ship. It is large, but to me has never felt crowded, even on our Christmas cruise when it was completely sold out. The public spaces are beautiful. There are several lounges we enjoyed - in particular the Explorer's Lounge where we participated in trivia and enjoyed many evenings at smaller shows or dancing to the band. We also like the Wheelhouse Bar which is a lounge with a nautical theme. It was very cozy. Club Fusion at the aft is another lounge and entertainment venue that was the site of many special themed evenings that were lots of fun. We didn't spend much time at the piano lounge, but everytime we walked by it looked like people were really enjoying it. All of these lounges provide an intimate feel even though it's a large ship.

We also really enjoyed having anytime dining where you can choose between four dining rooms, each with a distinct theme. They each have a more inviting, smaller feeling with unique decorations and a different signature dish even though they all serve the same menu.

The pools are gorgeous, and the indoor pool is a relaxing place to sit and have a bite to eat while watching the scenery. It was especially nice in Alaska because you can gaze out of the floor to ceiling windows but stay protected from the cold and wind. By the outdoor pool you can get pizza (the best), hamburgers, and soft serve ice cream. At breakfast the grill by the pool serves freshly made omelets and there are made to order waffles at the pizzeria. We ate breakfast there a lot.

Not sure what else you want to know. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer if I can. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. The Diamond truly lives up to her name.

Sounds like the pool area is best for snacking and Breakfast?

did you ever eat breakfast in the dining room?

Yes, we pretty much ate breakfast either in the dining room or by the pool. The dining room is nice if you want a relaxing breakfast or lunch with great service. My husband liked the eggs benedict in the dining room and my son always had the smoked salmon and bagels.

Wonderful - thank you for the info

Is there a nice place to hangout on the deck to watch the sunset out of the wind?

Aft deck at the small pool, bar and lounge area outside behind the buffet. It is protected and has nice seating (loungers, chairs, tables), but is rarely crowded.

Was on the Diamond in January. Absolutely loved the ship. Somewhat different than the Emerald and the Ruby that I've also sailed on, but a fantastic ship. Great crew, outstanding service and food in the MDR. You've made a good choice.....:):):)

Bob

Please tell me what makes the Diamond special - are there ship secrets - Special places to experience the cruise we should know about - Music, relaxing, food etc...

This is a family cruise, so we did not choose the ship and I am a bit stressed about the size of the ship - will it be crowded - mega lines etc...

We are used to much smaller ships - but when the folks say, "how about a cruise, we say, we'll call our TA and book it.

We cruised on the Diamond this summer in Alaska and loved the ship. I'm not sure how many people were onboard, but it definitely never felt crowded, even when people were squeezed up to the rails trying to watch all the sights.

You say this is a family cruise, so I do have this suggestion. I don't know about the size of your family or the ages of those in it, but if any are teens, the teen club is great, those in my family really enjoyed it.

As far as special places go, there are a few which stand out to me. First of all, I strongly suggest that you mainly do places other than the buffet for breakfast and lunch. It's not that the buffet is bad, it's just that all of the other places are exceptional - even the pizza (for lunch) and waffle (for breakfast) stations.

The Diamond sounds magnificent! Does anyone know which deck we embark on? Our two daughters aged 19 and 24 are sailing with us from Auckland to Sydney and are very much looking forward to our "family" holiday. I doubt there will be many passengers of their ages on board but I'm sure they will have a wonderful time anyway!

We were on the Diamond in July. The ship is in great shape and has great areas for about anything you want to do.

We had breakfast in the buffet only the 1st morning at sea, then the rest of the days we hit the omlet and waffle station (they are the hamburger and pizza place in the afternoon).

Skywalkers is really nice for chilling during the day. It is quiet and not many people go up there. There are a few servers wondering around if a drink is desired.

The only time it felt crowded, trying to get off the ship in port. Getting back on, people were spread out a bit more.

Seams like we boarded, depending on the tide deck 5, 6 or 7.

The entertainment was nice, spread between the Explorers Lounge and the Princess Theater. Likewise there were quartets and piano music in some of the other lounges.

We did the 1st seating in the dining room, about 5:45. We enjoy the larger tables, you can usually find someone to talk to that way.

Every one is saying it IT'S REALLY A GREAT SHIP. It has a great space ratio that it why it does not feel crowded.

I'll relate our "somewhat" schedule for the evening. We always do 1st seating. It allows us to do dinner then walk leisurely to the Princess theatre see show then a 007 in Crooners. Then----------. Anything you want read the Patter each day it will help you plan. You will never lack. Also join your roll call.

Hoped to get the 411 on the ship -

Like when you are on the Zaandam go thru the bulkhead doors on deck 3 at the front of the ship, ignore the "crew only" signs to get out on the Bow (watch your head), or continue up the stairs 3 more flights to get out on to a special observation deck on deck 6 - you may go down to deck 5 to get back inside thru the Mondriaan Lounge. its an amazing quite place to watch the world go by, or the sunrise or moonshine on the ocean. - make sure to take a nice drink with you.

This info is not on the deck plan or in any daily info sheet - its found by wondering and asking questions.

We are on the Roll Call but few there have already been on this ship.

Looking to get info about the ship & what we should not miss about it.

With multiple entertainment venues - whats your favorite and what makes it special?

Its a big ship and we are going with my retired parents who love to cruise Princess and this is also their first time on the Diamond & I promised to scope thing out & get back to them - that is why I am asking soooo many questions.

Figured folks would have lots to say -

gertz, you sound ticked at me because I am asking questions, I don't get that. Asking questions is what this board is about.

Hi Jan,

Noticed that you very kindly answered a query I put up about Alaska cruising and then noticed that you are on the Diamond on Jan 4th which we will also be sailing on.:)

We have not cruised Princess before so are looking forward to the experience. Like you I love asking questions on Cruise Critic and reading all the info supplied!

If you would be prepared to meet up at some point during the cruise perhaps you could fill us in on information about Alaska cruising over a drink??

At this point we are looking at a 14 day cruise on Holland America's Amsterdam with a landtour before. We have also looked at Princess but, I kind of feel that as we have not cruised them yet, I am reluctant to book a further cruise with them incase we don't like the line! Holland America has great reviews and would be a new experience to us also. The more we are reading however, the more confused we are getting!! :confused:

Kind regards,

Ann

We were on the Diamond this past July to Alaska... it is a beautiful ship. This was our first Princess cruise (previously on NCL and HAL) found this cruiseline to be very similar to HAL. I was initially concerned about how much big this ship was compared to others we have sailed on, but it was great .... there is so much uncrowded "public spaces". The crew was very good and the food was excellent. We were so impressed with Princess we are booking on the Ruby this May to the Mediterrean. I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. Have fun:)

Hi Jan,

Noticed that you very kindly answered a query I put up about Alaska cruising and then noticed that you are on the Diamond on Jan 4th which we will also be sailing on.:)

We have not cruised Princess before so are looking forward to the experience. Like you I love asking questions on Cruise Critic and reading all the info supplied!

If you would be prepared to meet up at some point during the cruise perhaps you could fill us in on information about Alaska cruising over a drink??

Ann

Would love to! - Are you on our Roll Call?

Chat soon

Jan

Hi Jan,

So very pleased you asked this question. We too are interested to hear other opinions regarding the Diamond. Things like...are there any 'secret' areas, what quality are the shows, etc? Any don't do's?

Again, great question Jan.

Jen and Bob

Hi Jan,

So very pleased you asked this question. We too are interested to hear other opinions regarding the Diamond. Things like...are there any 'secret' areas, what quality are the shows, etc? Any don't do's?

Again, great question Jan.

Jen and Bob

The only "secret" area that comes to mind is the Wake View Bar at the aft of the Diamond. You can only reach it via a spiral staircase that exits at the back of Club Fusion, just beyond the dance floor. We find the quality of the shows on all of the Princess ships good. There are the normal production shows which are the same from ship to ship and usually some other types of entertainers like comedians, magicians, etc. Besides the production shows, the other entertainment can change from sailing to sailing, or with changes of itineraries, so it's hard to comment specifically on what the entertainment will be for your sailing. I'm sure it will be enjoyable as the CD staff usually does a good job of lining up quality acts.

I can't think of any don't dos.

Archived