Tulum..... tours not by Carnival?

Checkmate1955

Has anyone taken a tour to Tulum when on a cruise to Calica, Mexico... We will be in the port for Calica for one day.... I have had great experiences with local tour operators in various parts of Mexico and Central America... Of course the tour operator needs to be recommended by others here on Cruise Critic... Thanks..

Isnt it kind of far from the port. I wouldnt hesitate to take private excursions EXCEPT for tours of ruins, because they are located so much further from the port. Just my personal rule of thumb. If they have a flat tire and they are late to the ship and you miss it... bye bye??

Only time Id take one thru the cruiseline for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all....

We have taken the ships tour on our last trip to that area and it was fine... I am just looking for a little more freedom in when and where we go to Tulum and that area which has many other options to visit before or after Tulum... Thanks..

Edventures runs a tight organization with multiple options, check them out at:

http://www.edventuretours.com.mx/

• 2 weeks later...

Edventure Tours is an excellent company. We had a wonderful day with them and we were able to not only see Tulum, but snorkel at the Dos Ojos Cenote, snorkel at the Turtle Sanctuary, have lunch on the beach at Akumal, and then snorkel at a lagoon. Bonnie, Eddie and our persoanl guide Ricardo are such quality people and they will give you so much more for your money than a cruise excursion. Go to their website to read reviews of their tours. I am hoping to go back to Calica someday and do another tour with them.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been using Miguel for various transportations and tours every year for the past 4 years.

He has been very reliable and all his drivers spoke decent English. Safe and courtesy drivers.

You can tailor your tours/transportations with him. Prices have been reasonable and competitive.

He even came out and drove us on Xmas day because he was short of drivers. I think normally he has eight vans and drivers in his company.

citycarmx@yahoo.com.mx

• 4 weeks later...
We have been using Miguel for various transportations and tours every year for the past 4 years.

He has been very reliable and all his drivers spoke decent English. Safe and courtesy drivers.

You can tailor your tours/transportations with him. Prices have been reasonable and competitive.

He even came out and drove us on Xmas day because he was short of drivers. I think normally he has eight vans and drivers in his company.

citycarmx@yahoo.com.mx

Have you used his service from the Calica port? If so where does his driver wait?

citycarmx@yahoo.com.mx

Have you used his service from the Calica port? If so where does his driver wait?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm just back from the Elation. I would be sure to book a tour before getting to Calica. Unlike other ports, there aren't independent companies at the port. There are, however, taxis. You can get a taxi to take your party to Tulum for $120 (up to 4 people). The driver will wait for you and then take you anywhere else. We went to Tulum and then to PDC. PDC is awesome so try not to spend too much time in Tulum. The driver will also wait in PDC and take you back to the ship.

• 1 month later...

Archived