Using a TA vs booking on own??

hawky

Last year, for our first cruise, we used a travel agent when booking. He was not overly helpful. This year I am leaning towards booking directly with Oceania since I will be using their air resources. Other than using CSA for insurance and booking that separately on our own, what am I missing by not using a travel agent???

Last year, for our first cruise, we used a travel agent when booking. He was not overly helpful. This year I am leaning towards booking directly with Oceania since I will be using their air resources. Other than using CSA for insurance and booking that separately on our own, what am I missing by not using a travel agent???

Some travel agents offer onboard credits and will pay your gratuities

You are missing out on saving money - that's all.

Most good TAs will save you money compared to O's prices and possibly add some OBC and/or prepaid gratuities.

Well worth checking out, IMO.

I echo all the positive things about using a TA - ours has always provided bigger discounts, onboard credits, etc. I'd recommend you simply find a new TA to use - ideally one from an agency that does higher volumes with Oceania and other higher-end cruise lines. You'll get more leverage for discounts and perks.

My reply is "if you were a doctor would you operate on yourself?"

Jancruz1

It seems that I need to find a new TA. There were no perks forthcoming from the one I used last year and the price was the same as quoted on line. I just thought since I had to do all the leg word regarding seating etc, I might just as well do it all. I will research other agencies. Thanks for the insight.

Jeanne and Frank

One additional option...make the reservation/deposit directly with Oceania and pick the cabin, etc., of your choosing. Shop around for a reputable TA. Once you find a reputable TA with the price point/perks that you are comfortable with, transfer the reservation from Oceania to the TA.

This will allow you some time to do some due diligence in picking the TA that is right for you.

Kathleen

It seems that I need to find a new TA. There were no perks forthcoming from the one I used last year and the price was the same as quoted on line. I just thought since I had to do all the leg word regarding seating etc, I might just as well do it all. I will research other agencies. Thanks for the insight.

Jeanne and Frank

Oceania's website lists preferred travel agents in your area. It SHOULD be one that does a good deal of business with them.

Since I found my agents, I would never consider booking myself. They don't always provide the best deal -- some others might have a better financial offer. But, in addition to providing some financial incentives, they probably know the cruise line better than any other agent. I wouldn't even consider the legwork necessary to choose my own cabin -- I just tell them what I want, and they do the work. Any problems, any questions, I can depend on them, right down to the smallest detail.

How did I find them? A lot of research, although it was a bit easier in 2006. A bit of intuitive guessing, and a bit of luck. All I can say is that once you find the agent that suits you best, you'll wonder why you ever asked this question.

My only problem with the Oceania list of recommended agents is that in this day and age, it really isn't necessary to be close to your agent. I wish they had a more comprehensive search. I've never laid eyes on my agents, but I feel I know them like family.

Most cruise lines train their call center employees to deal more with TAs and less with direct guests. And if you book online, usually the online booking engine will not show you all of the stateroom availability, only a few staterooms that are available in each category.

Why waste your time on the phone on hold with the cruise lines to iron out all of the details of your cruise vacation when a good TA will do all the legwork for you, and in most cases offer additional amenities that the cruise line won't offer you?

Having a good TA is a win win situation.

RickeyCruz5

The bottom line is... like most businesses, there are good TAs and bad TAs...

And a lot depends on what YOU are looking for in a TA...

Some people are just looking for someone to get them the lowest price (until something goes wrong and they really need help, of course)...

Others need someone to hold their hand thorough every step of the process...

In my book, a great TA is somewhere between the two...

Obviously, you want a better price if you can get it...

Many TAs just pass on whatever price the cruise line gives them...

But, some TAs...and you have to find them...will discount this price...they do this in a number of ways:

Some will reserve large group rates on certain cruises and pass those rates on to you...

Others will discount by shaving off some of their commission and sharing it with you either in the form of a discounted price or in the form of some sort of credit or "gift"--onboard credits, prepaid gratuities, free shore excursions or something of that sort...They pay for this out of their commissions earned...

But booking directly with the cruise line, even though the line saves the commission, they will never match these sorts of deals...they will always be at full price. They do not want to compete with and undercut and destroy the Travel Agent industry which helped make the cruise industry what it is today...

So, by using a TA, you will never do worse, pricewise, that going direct...and can often do much better...sometimes 5%, 10%, even 12% better than the price the cruise line gives you...

But, the second part of why to use a TA is service...Sure there are TAs who seem to do just about nothing but book the trip and collect the commission...and you're on your own beyond that...If you have one of those, lose them...

A good TA will:

1) Be of help in finding your cruise...they'll make recommendations...they'll alert you as to any special deals they know about...they'll come up with alternative pricing on different sail dates and different cabin categories...

2) They will make certain all of the details are handled properly...

3) They will monitor your cruise for price drops...

4) They will work out any problems that arise...use their greater influence and contacts in dealing with the cruise line...They know who to contact and what strings to pull...

5) They will alert you as to important dates such as payment deadlines.

6) They will find you to notify you about schedule changes or requirements...

In the end, having a good TA is like having a good partner or personal assistant...

You don't get to really relax and forget about everything...it pays to keep track of everything yourself...but it's good to have that competent, knowledgable backup...

Dealing directly with the cruise line, you may feel like you have more control...but you don't...You are really at their mercy--you, the small customer against a big corporation that holds all the cards...Always worth it to get someone on your side...and, unlike hiriong a lawyer, the cost of the TA to you is FREE...maybe even more money in your pocket...

• 2 months later...

My only problem with the Oceania list of recommended agents is that in this day and age, it really isn't necessary to be close to your agent. I wish they had a more comprehensive search. I've never laid eyes on my agents, but I feel I know them like family.

We've had a poor experience with an O-recommended TA.

1. She held a stateroom for us & then didn't follow up. Maybe a miscommunication - I expected her to call us to find out what we had decided & thought she would certainly call before the end of the "hold" (especially since she didn't tell us how long that would be). We still got a stateroom, but one further from midships. Not a disaster, but annoying.

2. She didn't contact us to arrange our final payment - or even to remind us that it was coming up. Fortunately, I noticed on the day it was due - after office hours; so I called Oceania direct & made the payment. When I talked to her about it later, she said that it first on her list for the next day.

3. Then, having said she would arrange our visas when the time came (it was too early when we booked the cruise), she didn't. Fortunately again, I noticed before we would have had to pay extra for expedited service.

4. Since this is our first cruise, it might have been helpful if she had looked at the air package and suggested the possibility of taking the O credit and arranging our own flights or asking for a deviation - we could have had direct flights instead of two stopovers with O. I thought about this too late & when I mentioned it to her she said she was aware of the possibilities, but "nothing was said".

She has clearly made no effort to actually earn her commission. She didn't even suggest the cruise to us - I contacted her *after* I had decided on this cruise.

Am I just whining?

Moral - do some research before settling on a TA. Don't expect the ones recommended by Oceania to be reliable or helpful.

Hawky, I wouldn't even consider booking a cruise on my own. I love having an agent who works out every little problem that could crop up as well as advising me on what to do and who to use for private tours. Their prices include free gratuities as well as other incentives. I've had an agent before who never offered anything but a $25.00 stateroom credit. I asked around while on a cruise and found out that many of the passengers used this same agent. I couldn't wait to book the next cruise through that agency. I've never looked back......

You may not need the assurance that I do but traveling does have a certain stress level and having all of these things taken care of before we leave makes the vacation start earlier than ever before.

Karen

• 2 years later...

I have cruised with Oceania 6 or 7 times and have always called Oceania directly and them transferred the booking to a TA. They have told me that I can transfer a booking up to final payment. I booked a cruise for April on July 30 with Oceania. On September 10, I emailed Oceania of the transfer of the booking. Today, the TA called and told me she would not be getting a commission. Oceania said the policy has changed and that the bookings needed to be transferred within 30 days of the booking. I received no information, either verbal or in writing, regarding this policy change. I spoke to 4 different Oceania reps and was told many times that only the TAs need to know the policy. Now, if I keep the booking I will not be receiving the ship board credits that I have always received. Shouldn't the customer know the policy? Don't they know we are effected? Is this any way to treat a "Oceania Club" member?

Archived