What's up about Jamaica?

WinnieinWA

The drug culture runs rampant in some of the ports of Jamaica with the result that many vendors, cab drivers etc tend to be super aggressive and will not take "no, thank you" as an answer. For several years the Jamaican goverment employed tourist police whose main mission seemed to be to minimize the aggressive pestering. It worked for a few years but the problem has resurfaced and in some places has become so bad that some passengers refuse to go ashore and expose themselves to that sort of thing.

It is so sad because the island is beautiful - mountains and beaches - and most of its citizens are kindly and helpful, but the nation's tourism is suffering badly of late.:(

Do a quick search on the keyword Jamaica and you are bound to find loads of threads either specifically about Jamaica, or reviews of cruises that stopped at Jamaica. The overall theme seems to be that Jamaica is dangerous and filled with pushy vendors and drug dealers.

We've not ventured very far when docked in Ochos Rios (3 times). Typically we walk to Island Village shopping centre and stop at Cruise Booze on the way back to the ship. Everyone we've encountered has been completely fine, not much different than other islands. Of course, we have purposefully taken a very safe road here.

I do love looking at Jamaica from the comfort (safety?) of my balcony as it is so beautiful.

crime rate is super high.....and I love Jamaica....As a Caymanian.....we were one country at one time, and I have lots of relatives and friends who live there, however, I have had several friends from the states who have had knives put to their throats in order to rob them....Scary.....maybe on a princess tour....not otherwise....not now....

I worked there some years back, assisting a bank converting to a new computer system. It was possibly the most violent, unpleasant and dangerous spot I've ever worked. A coworker who refused a panhandler needed 17 stitches after having a hunk of glass thrown at his head.

Nowadays, I also refuse to spend money there or on their products because of their policies condoning outright violence against gays and lesbians. Just my personal policy, YMMV.

Years ago we took our first ( and last) visit to Jamaica. On a cruise that stopped at Ocho Rios. We decided to walk into town,, we never bother with tours as a rule. Both my husband and I had travelled a fair amount before,, and my hubby is 6'4' ,, was over 200 lbs,, young and fit. Frist the taxi gauntlet,, we had to wade through dozens of very aggressively self promoting taxi drivers and 'guides".

We ( possibly because we were younger) were constantly approached to buy drugs,, we hated the walk into town,, but then ,, the market was worse,, I got FILTHY MEAN looks when I refused to buy stuff, I stopped even looking after about 15 mintues.

We then got a taxi to Dunns River falls, and that saved the day so to speak. The parking lot had a bit of a gauntlet of beggers etc.. but, we managed to get in, ( and we HAD to accept a guide, which we did not want) but the Falls are wonderful ,, and we did have alot of fun climbing them.

Jamaica is probaly one of the prettiest islands I have visited in the Caribbean,, its so lush and green,, but the poverty is very very obvious,, and the people most definately do not hide the fact that they basically want your dough,, but could you just f off otherwise. Its how we felt,, whether or not everyone feels that way ( I am sure everyone doesn't,,but we didn't encounter them,, we as cruise ship passengers seemed only to encounter an entirely different type) ,, its the taste Jamaica left in our mouths.

I have read posts by people who say they have really enjoyed land trips there,, but then you find out they stayed mostly in the all inclusives along Negril Beach,, basically an area with NO locals... just staff. Well, thats a pretty sanatized way to enjoy Jamaica,, and ,, in our opinion,, maybe the only way( unless you have family or friends that live there, then I bet its alot nicer)

I will admit my experiences were many years ago,, so maybe things have changed.. that would be nice. It is a pretty island.

It has been several years since we have been in Jamaica. The first time we walked into town in Ocho Rios. There are tall fences around anything of value. There were guards in front of gates. Even the shopping area for tourists was enclosed. We walked to a art and craft market early in the morning. The people were friendly and everything was fine. My daughter wanted to get her hair braided and it took awhile. By the time we left, several men got drunk and were aggressive to each other. Some of the taxis reeked of pot and we were 10 feet away!

The second time we did a ship tour. We took 1 person rafts on a float trip down a river. Each raft was assigned a guide. Our group was two couples with one teenager each for a total of 6. It was beautiful with clear cool water with a gentle current. The banks were all natural with verdant green vines. If the current slowed the guide would row a little. The only problem was that toward the end of the trip the guide began developing a pity me story so that our tip would be larger. We appreciate that our family is blessed with so much and we give very freely. The longer he talked the more I just wanted to ask, "How much for you to stop talking?'

My girlfriend and her husband took one of the float rafts made from cane. She enjoyed it a lot. There were many vendors along the river wanting to sell you something.

The country is one of the most beautiful anywhere but travelers should not go off by themselves. We are planning our next cruise and it is on the itinerary. I plan to book something from the ship.

I am Jamaican but primarily vacation there now. People either love or hate Jamaica or many reasons. My prospective my be a bit different.

First, there is nothing up with Jamaica. Most tourists know of Ocho Rios or Montego Bay the cruise pit..port. Many Jamaicans have never been to these places.

Ocho Rios - the vendors are very aggressive. They invade your space and No sometimes means, I need to try harder:eek:

Drugs- Bud is a Herb that grows like Weed. Americans provide the market in Ocho Rios and drive up the price. There was a time it came with a hello, welcome:D

Most Jamaicans have it in thier back yard, it's a weed. Americans are more fascinated by it than locals.

Poverty - heart breaking and everywhere. It's hard for some to see this level on poverty after getting off the grandeur of any ship

Race: an island of minorities. Yes, people might forget to take money for tip and a nice dress for formal night but they pack their prejudice with them

Culture: Jamaicans are known to be homophobic and has a government that turns a blind eye to the ill treatment of gays

Perception: Most Jamaicans see fat white Americans on big boats as extremely wealthy, not so with Canadians or Europeans. Their goal is to distribute your wealth with offers of this, that and the other.

Crime rate- A high crime rate but outside of the tourist area (of Ocho Rios, Montego bay and Negril) and mostly in Kingston and among locals. Kingston do not register on the tourist map or the consciousness of most locals not living there.

Ignorant tourists:- many go unaware of the people, place and culture

Americans: Some/few associate black and poor as a risky business!

Many of what they feel threatened by is apart of the culture itself but they would have to research before booking to know this.

Is it for everyone....No wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Is it for you, do your research but if weed, poverty, minorities, aggresive vendors bother you.....No. As for crime the toursit areas are safe using basic precautions and common sense. Jamaica holds quite an appeal to the toursit industry, to the point of building a port of RCCL Oasis of the Sea, and adding mega resorts housing over 2000 guests. God help them all!

Strictly as toursit woud I choose it...Hmmmmm, at least once. Hey, where else can you see a garden of weed (Peter Tosh Memorial), waterfalls (Dunn's River, Coyaba and YS), cliffs (Negril), 7 miles stretch of white sandy beach (Negril) lush vegetation (St Ann, Port Antonio, St mary), and heart breaking poverty surrounded by sheer beauty (everywhere)..........Jamaica Mom:D

My take on the what's up with Jamaica's ports!

I am Jamaican but primarily vacation there now. People either love or hate Jamaica or many reasons. My prospective my be a bit different.

First, there is nothing up with Jamaica. Most tourists know of Ocho Rios or Montego Bay the cruise pit..port. Many Jamaicans have never been to these places.

Ocho Rios - the vendors are very aggressive. They invade your space and No sometimes means, I need to try harder:eek:

Drugs- Bud is a Herb that grows like Weed. Americans provide the market in Ocho Rios and drive up the price. There was a time it came with a hello, welcome:D

Most Jamaicans have it in thier back yard, it's a weed. Americans are more fascinated by it than locals.

Poverty - heart breaking and everywhere. It's hard for some to see this level on poverty after getting off the grandeur of any ship

Race: an island of minorities. Yes, people might forget to take money for tip and a nice dress for formal night but they pack their prejudice with them

Culture: Jamaicans are known to be homophobic and has a government that turns a blind eye to the ill treatment of gays

Perception: Most Jamaicans see fat white Americans on big boats as extremely wealthy, not so with Canadians or Europeans. Their goal is to distribute your wealth with offers of this, that and the other.

Crime rate- A high crime rate but outside of the tourist area (of Ocho Rios, Montego bay and Negril) and mostly in Kingston and among locals. Kingston do not register on the tourist map or the consciousness of most locals not living there.

Ignorant tourists:- many go unaware of the people, place and culture

Americans: Some/few associate black and poor as a risky business!

Many of what they feel threatened by is apart of the culture itself but they would have to research before booking to know this.

Is it for everyone....No wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Is it for you, do your research but if weed, poverty, minorities, aggresive vendors bother you.....No. As for crime the toursit areas are safe using basic precautions and common sense. Jamaica holds quite an appeal to the toursit industry, to the point of building a port of RCCL Oasis of the Sea, and adding meag resorts housing over 2000 guests. God help them all!

My take on the what's up with Jamaica's ports!

I respect your input,,but I wouldn't play the race card so easily,, every other island in the Caribbean seemed to be filled with "minority" races too, but the vibe was not the same, no,, I think race is the LEAST of the problem.

As a Canadian,, hey,, guess what,, they don't know I am Canadian( contrary to popular thought we don't all wear Canadain flag pins, LOL ) ,, so we are treated exactly the same as Americans.

I respect your input,,but I wouldn't play the race card so easily,, every other island in the Caribbean seemed to be filled with "minority" races too, but the vibe was not the same, no,, I think race is the LEAST of the problem.

As a Canadian,, hey,, guess what,, they don't know I am Canadian( contrary to popular thought we don't all wear Canadain flag pins, LOL ) ,, so we are treated exactly the same as Americans.

With all due respect, I tried to be honest with my perspective not putting any importance of any one item but you did. I stated that MY perspective might be different...did you miss that?. Majority of my family lives in Canada not the US or even Jamaica:D I can tell you how to get a break as a Canadian. I know Jamaica as a local where I was born, and over 20 years of vactioning there. I thought my post was FAIR sorry you did not see it that way!

Nice post kooljamming!

Eight years ago I made my first visit to Jamaica,a cruise stop in Ocho Rios. Let's just say after that day I saw no reason to ever return. Nothing scary,nobody too agressive,just too much hustling. We hired a good guide who kept most of the hustlers at bay,but Jamaica just did not appeal to me.

A few years later my wife started asking about a land vacation to Jamaica and the answer was always "no way". Well,three years ago I gave in and we went to Negril for a vacation and my take on Jamaica changed. Yes,there are still issues,but the people I have met have been some of the most delightful I have met anywhere. I've been back a few times and now am associated with an organization that works with the children of Jamaica ,because it is those children that draw me back.

I would never tell people they need to go to Jamaica,but I do tell them to can't judge a whole people from a stop in one cruise port. Here are just a couple reasons why I return.

410278527_heNaS-L.jpg

427813706_YQ2tn-L.jpg

On our first voyage on Island Princess, we stopped at Ocho Rios. We took an excursion that took us to Shaw Park, a ride through Fern Gully and finally a stop at Dunn's River Falls. Our guide, a very friendly local, gave us very specific instructions on how to run the gauntlet of vendors at the top of the falls. We were there on a Sunday so the Falls were very crowded with locals. Everyone we met on the Falls were very nice, but the vendors were quite pushy... they'd block your way, get angry when you didn't buy anything. The guide helped us get back to the bus unscathed. It just wasn't a good experience. We also ventured outside the Margaritaville grounds for a few minutes, but beat a hasty retreat after being pursued and yelled at by a vagrant.

All in all, it was a beautiful island, but we were definitely put off by the vendors at the Falls. We were scheduled to go to Montego Bay on our voyage on Coral Princess. We had booked the all-inclusive excursion to Sandals, but because of tropical storm Noel, we were rerouted to the Caymans.

I have read posts by people who say they have really enjoyed land trips there,, but then you find out they stayed mostly in the all inclusives along Negril Beach,, basically an area with NO locals... just staff. Well, thats a pretty sanatized way to enjoy Jamaica,, and ,, in our opinion,, maybe the only way( unless you have family or friends that live there, then I bet its alot nicer)

Slight correction, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay have many of the countires all-inclusive with private beach (limited access by locals up to the water line). Negril is the area you choose if you prefer to do Room Only on the beach or on the cliff with local reasonable priced restaurants. The 7 mile stretch of beach is NOT private (full access by locals), unlike the ones in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. In Negril you will have more interaction with locals. The vibe is different because there is no appeal to cruise ship tourists, because it's 90 minutes away from Montego Bay. People like Negril for the relaxed vibe, cliffs and locals. Ocho Rios and Montego Bay for the all inclusive resort which have fewer Room Only accomodation. Negril is where you go when you DO NOT care for All inclusive. Most of the All inclusives are not along Negril Beach but Bloody Bay, not the same.

Bruce: Do you notice Jamaicans like to have their picture taken:D

2158499960101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2832717270101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Pauline,

Sometimes I don't agree with your posts, or completely understand them.

I have to say, after at least a dozen trips to Jamaica, I totally agree with you about what Jamaica is about.

I have always enjoyed the people, most of all, and the country is beautiful and diversified.

I look forward to my next visit to that beautiful island.

John

I enjoyed my visit to Jamaica, maybe it was because I try not to annoy people.

john

Wow, so you think that all the cruise ship passengers are annoying to the people? Really,, or were you just being silly?

Everyone who has complained about their personal expereinces in Jamaica,, while visiting from a cruise ship,, all cite the locals approaching THEM,, hardly the other way around.

Well, I guess staying on the ship may be a good idea then,, I mean, who would want to annoy the people by touring the island ,, and spending money.. duh.

ps. I live on an island,, that is also a cruise ship port,, funny, we do not find our tourists annoying.. we like them .. LOL

Slight correction, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay have many of the countires all-inclusive with private beach (limited access by locals up to the water line). Negril is the area you choose if you prefer to do Room Only on the beach or on the cliff with local reasonable priced restaurants. The 7 mile stretch of beach is NOT private (full access by locals), unlike the ones in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. In Negril you will have more interaction with locals. The vibe is different because there is no appeal to cruise ship tourists, because it's 90 minutes away from Montego Bay. People like Negril for the relaxed vibe, cliffs and locals. Ocho Rios and Montego Bay for the all inclusive resort which have fewer Room Only accomodation. Negril is where you go when you DO NOT care for All inclusive. Most of the All inclusives are not along Negril Beach but Bloody Bay, not the same.

2158499960101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2832717270101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Kooljaming,, google "All inclusives in Negril Jamaica" there seem to lots. I also saw a Lonely Planet show,, and they stated there were many AI there,, now,, I realize you were born there,, but I imagine when you go back you stay with family and friends,, and maybe aren't aware of how many AI there are in that area now( Hedoism,

Sandals, Lido,Beaches, Rui, etc etc.) . May be some are new? As for beach being public. I am am sure you are correct,, but that is not my point,, my point is,, and you can hardly argue this,, that if one stays in Negril,, and doesn't venture anywhere else,then they are NOT getting a full taste of Jamaica.. Just like,, if you come to my island and hang around our Inner Harbour,, you can hardly say you got a full sense of our city..

With all due respect, I tried to be honest with my perspective not putting any importance of any one item but you did. I stated that MY perspective might be different...did you miss that?. Majority of my family lives in Canada not the US or even Jamaica:D I can tell you how to get a break as a Canadian. I know Jamaica as a local where I was born, and over 20 years of vactioning there. I thought my post was FAIR sorry you did not see it that way!

Well said.......

Bob

Our first land vacation to Jamaica was in 1978 when Americans were warned NOT to go there due to political unrest when Manley first came into power on the island. Being adventurous travellers, we went anyway and stayed at the all inclusive resort called Couples and had the best vacation ever. The locals were the nicest and friendliest we had ever found in the Caribbean. Over the years, we have probably taken over 50 more land vacations in Jamaica, staying at various resorts in Mo Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril. For the most part, we found the people to be really nice if you treated them with dignity, respect and friendliness. In fact, we have found that to be a vital ingredient when travelling anywhere in the world.

On one occasion I had an opportunity to meet the top man for the Jamaica Tourist Board. We had a long discussion about Jamaica's tourism. I expressed my belief was that the cruisers who only stop in Jamaica, tend to see only the VERY WORST of Jamaica; and if I had the position and power, I would not allow any ships to visit there for that reason. Having this limited exposure by ship to Jamaica, distorts the entire island and discourages tourists from coming back to experience the wonderful resorts and beauty the island has to offer. My feeling then and now was that the cruise ships to Jamaica do more harm than good for Jamaica's tourism. I also believe that due to the negative press about Jamaica from the 1970s etc., many preconceived notions have been perpetuated over the years, which tend to influence travellers before they even get there.

I will admit that an intimidating factor is that the Jamaicans working the streets do come off quite aggressive, but we have always found that a warm smile and a kind decline has more often than not resulted in a nice response from them. Yes, there are exceptions to every situation; but as a whole, and over the decades we have found the Jamaican people to be quite pleasant and kind. Our most recent visit there was a 2 week stay 10 months ago and are happy to report it was as great as ever. By the way, we are a middle-aged couple who were not hippies when we were younger.:D

We have stayed on a land based holiday and visited from various cruise ships, It is true the locals treat Americans differently to the British visitors, we were with a British couple we met onboard the Coral and they were shocked by the way the locals spoke to my husband when he said no thank you, so the lady said you guys just smile and I’ll say no thanks you, wow what a difference, the street vendors, chatted about the UK as we walked along and remembered us on the way back with a smile and a wave.

This experience gave us a topic to talk about over a drink round the pool after sail away, the Brits said unfortunately in a lot of countries you are perceived a rich, loud and arrogant, which just isn’t true in their opinion, all countries have loud, arrogant and unpleasant people, but for some reason Jamaica is stuck with a perception of you, which will be their loss when the cruise ships move out

We were in Montego Bay a few years ago and had a great time on the excursions that we did. Unfortunately, on the way back to the ship my husband was offered drugs, women and young boys! While this could happen anywhere, it happened to us in Jamaica. It was enough to sour us from wanting to return.

I find that many love to have their picture taken,but I also find as you go into the country some are very leary of someone like me walking around with a big camera. I've had a few occasions where they think I might be CIA.:)

Archived