What's up about Jamaica?

WinnieinWA

Kooljaming,, google "All inclusives in Negril Jamaica" there seem to lots. I also saw a Lonely Planet show,, and they stated there were many AI there,, now,, I realize you were born there,, but I imagine when you go back you stay with family and friends,, and maybe aren't aware of how many AI there are in that area now( Hedoism,

Sandals, Lido,Beaches, Rui, etc etc.) . May be some are new? As for beach being public. I am am sure you are correct,, but that is not my point,, my point is,, and you can hardly argue this,, that if one stays in Negril,, and doesn't venture anywhere else,then they are NOT getting a full taste of Jamaica.. Just like,, if you come to my island and hang around our Inner Harbour,, you can hardly say you got a full sense of our city..

You are right in the fact that there are some A/I's in Negril, but wrong when you stereotype people who stay there. Many venture out to enjoy what Jamaica has to offer. I've stay both A/I and not, but many go to Negril because it has so many options that are not A/I. You don't need to look at my photos,but you will see from this small portion of mine that I don't spend most of my time hanging around the resort.

http://imagesbybruce.smugmug.com/Travel/Negril-Jamaica/4090539_NRnee#427189499_NanQL

I have been to Jamaica a few times but it was in Ocho Rios that I REALLY got scared .WE grabbed a cab my kids 6 and 9 at the time and I to go to the Falls .the visit was fine but in order to exit we were forced by a guard to go thru the market .VENDORS were extremely In YOUR face and demanded I buy something because my 6 year old son looked at it .THEY WERE SOOOOOOOOO INTIMIDATING ...and yes there was an ODOR around ...you know THAT one

I was very anxious to get out as vendors blocked our way .It took at least 20 minutes which felt like 20 years.I must have said NO THANK YOU a hundred times .I grabbed both kids to try to move along faster as they blocked my way.IT WAS VERY UNPLEASANT.We did finally get out and grabbed a cab FAST to the ship.I did not stop to shop anywhere else.

Now I would not even get off ship and have written so on ship comments .Trinidad is another such place .People got mugged not too far from us WE returned to the ship

Because of an incident in Antigua Carnival is no longer going there

If you do go KNOW WHAT to expect .Be vigilant DO NOT GO ALONE

I was with my 2 kids

I've always been a Jamaica defender, but the national history of Jamaica is very largely one of brutality. Piracy, slave brutality and colonial exploitation. Modernize that heritage with urban overpopulation, the teeming drug trade, and 'raw capitalism meets raw materials' (notice the bauxite at port?) and 'there you have it'... Even Colombia's heritage is easier going.

But it is a lovely island - uniquely beautiful - and Jamaica's people are like those everywhere - mostly very nice.

But - Jamaica has issues... Bob Marley may now be heralded as a national hero who with co-Wailer Peter Tosh revolutionized world music. But Marley barely survived a drive-by shooting and had to leave. Tosh didn't and didn't survive.

Those are facts. It is a fine place to visit and see. Just plan and prepare.

We had our honeymoon in Jamaica 27 years ago and loved it. Toured many parts of the island and encountered both pushy and friendly people. Being on a private resort you are spared mostly from locals trying to sell you stuff, but we did find this in the local markets we visited. We went back on a cruise stop about 7 years ago with our kids.....took a trip to Dunns River falls and walked up the falls. Vendors in the market there were very pushy and at times scared the kids but we never felt in danger...many other tourists were also there. Now last year we once again stopped in Jamaica on a cruise and choose this time not to get off the ship but to enjoy the empty pool area!! We did however walk along the promanade and stop to listen to the small quartet playing music as passengers walk past......these guys were great and one guy in particular saw me and my daughter and kept giving us his big friendly smile and wave. Would I go and stay at a resort there?? Not sure, but I found the people no more pushy then some we encountered in the Bahamas.

We were in Montego Bay a few years ago and had a great time on the excursions that we did. Unfortunately, on the way back to the ship my husband was offered drugs, women and young boys! While this could happen anywhere, it happened to us in Jamaica. It was enough to sour us from wanting to return.

That same thing happened to us in new York City !.... so does that mean you cross off a whole country because of one isolated negative experience. Perhaps a more global attitude would help.

I too had the same experience as Michele in Ocho Rios. I was with my 6'2" DH, visiting Dunns Falls, which was wonderful, but we were forced to walk through the market on the way back. The vendors were extremely rude, pushy and right in your face. They tried pulling my DH into the back of the stalls to sell him some drugs, but I had my arms around his, and was pulling him back, from going in. It was scary, and I must admit, I felt extremely uncomfortable as they were yelling after us. This incident has definately turned me off to Jamaica, and for the first time after visiting most of the Caribbean islands, I can honestly say this is the only bad experience we have had. It's too bad, because Jamaica is a beautiful country, and the Jamaicans I know here in Canada, are the most wonderful, kind and fun people to be around.

We have been to Jamaica 6 times (5 land & 1 cruise stop).

On the cruise stop we just went around the port area to shop and went back on the ship.

On the land trips we always to an all inclusive and NEVER venture off the resort but we also do that in Cancun and the Dominican Republic. In the Dominican the resort we stayed at we were told in a welcome seminar not to go off the resort at night and to always use cabs and not to walk on the street.

Most Caribbean Islands are poor countries that depend on tourism for their livelyhood and anywhere you go the vendors tend to be agressive to make money.

Crime is everywhere.

I respect your input,,but I wouldn't play the race card so easily,, every other island in the Caribbean seemed to be filled with "minority" races too, but the vibe was not the same, no,, I think race is the LEAST of the problem.

Yes thats what I thought too???

What makes Jamaica so special?

Its everywhere. :rolleyes:

We were in Ocho Rios two years ago and used Marva Shaw as a tour guide. She is a highly respected individual and no one messed with Marva or my family the whole day. She took us to Dunns River Falls and told us how to avoid the vendors. She took us on a ride through the real Jamaica and the poverty is just unbelievable. We spent many hours with her and never felt unsafe. She told us about herbs, cooking, her family and it was a very interesting day for all of us.

The trick to doing an excursion in Jamaica is to get a tour guide who is very highly rated by other cruisers and those are the ones who make sure you feel safe and are not harassed. Being a tour guide is their livelihood and they want you to report back with good reviews for the next cruisers.

Would I just get off the ship and just grab a taxi. NO WAY:eek:

Jamaica is beautiful and it is a shame that it has to be such an unsafe place for the average uninformed tourist. You can enjoy Jamaica, you just have to really plan ahead.

You are right in the fact that there are some A/I's in Negril, but wrong when you stereotype people who stay there. Many venture out to enjoy what Jamaica has to offer. I've stay both A/I and not, but many go to Negril because it has so many options that are not A/I. You don't need to look at my photos,but you will see from this small portion of mine that I don't spend most of my time hanging around the resort.

http://imagesbybruce.smugmug.com/Travel/Negril-Jamaica/4090539_NRnee#427189499_NanQL

That was the point I was trying to get at. I did not say Negril has no a/i. Because of the Room Only Option, and cliff many have chosen Negril inorder to venture out;)

pg. - I am too old and tired to disagree with anyone dislike of the place because sometimes I am the one most critical. I stated at the very beginning I am Jamaican but return as a tourist. Again sorry you missed that but what's so hard about that to believe and why imagine otherwise:confused::rolleyes:. Just for you, I am 45 years old but migrated at 13. Most of my close relatives have died or migrated to Canada..eh. See my Ocho Rios album in my signature, that's me at the resorts: Sunset at the Palms, Sunset Jamaica Grande, Sunset Beach and Spa, Beaches Boscobel, Couples San Souci. I chose those because they are Jamaican owned. Next summer for 2 weeks we will try the new Spanish 'flava' Riu and Palladium (Montego Bay and St Lucea)

About Ocho Rios and Montego Bay- Though they are the tourist meccas on the island, they have some of the poorest districts in the country, lending to the more desperate approach and attitude. Many now believe tourism benefits mostly the big business and government, unless you buy the bracelet, get your hair braided and heavens for bid (not advocating this) weed from the little guy. In a single moment, Americans who are perceived as the riches in the world, are face to face with the poorest on the island. Not good for either group...me thinks!

I understand and RESPECT the fact a happy day in port is NOT spending time refusing offers.

We should always keep in mind that most of us tourists have more in our suitcases than these unfortunate people acquire in a lifetime. And not ALL poor people are criminals...... But there most definitely ARE criminals in all poor countries (and rich ones too). We shouldn't condemn an entire country for some of its "questionable" locals and their behaviors. Who has more crime and corruption than Rio in Brazil? And yet the Olympic Committee appointed their city for the upcoming Olympics. And in my opinion, after having spent a week in Rio, in comparison, Jamaica's dangers appear like the Vatican City!!!!!:eek: Tourists should ALWAYS take the same prudent precautions they would at home whenever and wherever they happen to travel!:)

I've traveled all over the world, to some very rich countries and some very poor countries alike. I'm fairly intrepid and I didn't go to Jamaica with any preconceived ideas. That said, one visit was enough. The people/vendors were the most aggressive I've ever experienced. (By contrast, the vendors in the bazaars of Egypt are aloof and reserved....)

Perhaps I had a bad experience and should try Jamaica again. However, the world is full of fascinating places that I have yet to visit for a first time, as well as wonderful places that I'm dying to get back to for a second, third, or fourth time. So......sorry Jamaica, but it's unlikely I'll be back.

We are some of the few cruisers who really love Jamacia.

We've been there twice by cruise ship and several times on land vacations. Via ship we've experienced Fern Gully, Dunn River Falls, and the wonderful Mystic Mountain, plus the Hard Rock, and great shopping.

Yes, some vendors are aggressive, but to me, they're just trying to make a living.:) I just say no and keep walking.

Yes, we're always offered weed but I just say no and keep walking. :(

When my husbasnd was offered a girl, he replied that he'd already paid for this one and we just kept walking. :D

We use common sense about where we are, who is around us, and the time of day - just like we do no matter where we are.

To me, too many people want to go to a foreign country and then expect it to be just like their hometown. They might as well just stay home, or on the ship which means less conjestion for the rest of us. :cool:

That same thing happened to us in new York City !.... so does that mean you cross off a whole country because of one isolated negative experience. Perhaps a more global attitude would help.

Now you know why we New Yorkers appear to be rude and unfriendly. It comes from riding the subways and walking the streets trying to ignore all the homeless begging and the street merchants pushing counterfeit watches and handbags.

My experience with Jamaica has been the same as others. I would use that port as a sea day and just enjoy the ship. Then again I live on Long Island and we don't even like to transfer trains at the Jamaica stop in Queens.

Wow, so you think that all the cruise ship passengers are annoying to the people? Really,, or were you just being silly?

Not at all. I/we have been to a great many places, and, normally get along with people, while others have not. It can't be all luck.

john

Now you know why we New Yorkers appear to be rude and unfriendly. It comes from riding the subways and walking the streets trying to ignore all the homeless begging and the street merchants pushing counterfeit watches and handbags. .

At least in Jamaica the people are still friendly and smiling in spite of their heartbreaking circumstances, mon. :cool:

We are some of the few cruisers who really love Jamacia.

To me, too many people want to go to a foreign country and then expect it to be just like their hometown. They might as well just stay home, or on the ship which means less conjestion for the rest of us. :cool:

I don't mean to disappoint you but you are among MANY of the cruisers.

Many replace gowns in their luggage with gifts for local children. They visit local schools, churches, orphanages, and markets. The generosity is unbelievable from many of the everyday tourist, ship or land. Ocho Rios is once enough for some while for others Jamaica is a true addiction and not for Bud. The right person in port with a warm heart and generous smile is better than 10 of the terrified ones with all the money in the world. Ocho Rios is one place you don't want to look as if you are afraid of your shadow. I might be tempted to say Boooo before you get your hair braided or buy that bracelet;) Whatever you do don't go to Ocho Rios with the intention of winging it, unless you are thinking about jerk chicken:p

Kooljaming,, google "All inclusives in Negril Jamaica" there seem to lots. I also saw a Lonely Planet show,, and they stated there were many AI there,, now,, I realize you were born there,, but I imagine when you go back you stay with family and friends,, and maybe aren't aware of how many AI there are in that area now( Hedoism,

Sandals, Lido,Beaches, Rui, etc etc.) . May be some are new? As for beach being public. I am am sure you are correct,, but that is not my point,, my point is,, and you can hardly argue this,, that if one stays in Negril,, and doesn't venture anywhere else,then they are NOT getting a full taste of Jamaica.. Just like,, if you come to my island and hang around our Inner Harbour,, you can hardly say you got a full sense of our city..

Negril is a large AREA, and not a specific beach. The A/Is you speak of have been there for YEARS (RUI took over an existing property, and Beaches is the family version of Sandals...started booking them in about 2003.) AI resorts like Sandals Negril, Grand Lido, and Swept Away were very popular in 1999, especially for Honeymooners. I booked tons of trips there, and those resorts had been there well before 1999 (when I started working as a TA). Hedonism, as well. (There are two in Jamaica.) There are also Breezes AI resorts in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. Sandals has two AI resorts in Montego Bay, two in Ocho Rios, and one in Negril. ( I've stayed at land resorts in Jamaica three times, and have been there on four cruises). And I'm just a tourist. I would imagine that Pauline is very familiar of the existence of Jamaican AIs.

Archived