Auto tipping - Family of four with two small kids

mapman_2004

Thought it said 2 and under......so I guess your second birthday better be the day after sailing :rolleyes: LOL! Kinda strange the way that is worded........on second thought there's a reason for that......

That is why they have lawyers write these things. ;)

Every word and combination of words makes a difference.

How would they work the tips if you turned 2 on your cruise?

Yeah......so.....it is info that the op can use.........just like your opinion:cool:

His kids are over 2, so before you give me attitude, why not say its up to him and be nice?

anyone can of course remove tips. tips for under 2 "are not required" as ken states.

I have just always considered the tip as part of my overall cruise vacation cost. I have not considered removing the tip, nor do I wish to hunt down individuals to give the tip out to. My cruise for Christmas was $3300 and then $280 for the tip for 4. That comes out to about 8.5% of my cost. Also added to that is still my S&S account and shore excursions.

They do a lot of hard work, that is largest basis of their salary and I have even been known to provide additional on top of the already set amount.

His kids are over 2, so before you give me attitude, why not say its up to him and be nice?

anyone can of course remove tips. tips for under 2 "are not required" as ken states.

What is your problem:confused: Why don't you read all the post before you start attacking:rolleyes: I never once even suggested removing tips.........Good lord:rolleyes:

Pay the autotip. You know about it in advance - you can even pay it now, so it may hurt less when you see your s and s bill at the end. BTW - wait till your kids see the towel animals and cookies the stewards leave - the look on their faces will be well-worth the $320.

Ok, I have another question about the tips. I just got off my first cruise on Monday. We had to call the cabin steward to get ANYTHING done to our room everyday. We even had to call the last night to get our customs forms. I left the autotip the way it was but should I have requested to have it reduced?

Pay the autotip. You know about it in advance - you can even pay it now, so it may hurt less when you see your s and s bill at the end. BTW - wait till your kids see the towel animals and cookies the stewards leave - the look on their faces will be well-worth the $320.

Love this response:)

Ok, I have another question about the tips. I just got off my first cruise on Monday. We had to call the cabin steward to get ANYTHING done to our room everyday. We even had to call the last night to get our customs forms. I left the autotip the way it was but should I have requested to have it reduced?

If that would have been my experience........I would have.....

Comments on the cards work both ways.

Really the reason people have so many problems with tips is the way a cruise is forced to have it paid. $10/day is really nothing when on vacation. If anyone had to pay that as they went they wouldn't blink an eye. But when one is not presented with a bill one does not tend to leave a tip. So the cruise has no choice but to add it as a lump sum. Unfortunately $320 looks a lot worse than handing out $10 (or say $20 to include one kid each) per day.

I personally would love to have a good reason to not tip for my kids. Unfortunately I can't think of one.

Even though many people won't admit it, especially anyone on this board, A LOT of people have their tips reduced or removed. If YOU feel that it is too much, then have the tips reduced before the end of the cruise. I’m sure after these replies you have an understanding of how the tips work. Only you know if you will feel guilty about it or not. :)

The Choice is Yours.

Maybe their policy has changed, but we cruised 4 times with my son when he was under two. We were never charged tips for him. We always left extra extra for our cabin steward and wait crew to make up the difference. There is alot of extra work that goes into the under two cruise: crib, highchairs, food on the floor, dirty diapers, extra ice to keep milk cold, extra dishes.

We then cruised when he was 2 years and 3 days and the tips were charged. They have their system.

I hope everyone out there who uses Camp Carnival tips them well. They have a hard job and deserve alot more than they get. $10-$20 perday of use is reasonable for what they do.

Hi all,

I was wondering what you think about this situation. Do you think tipping $320 (4x8x$10)for a family of four on an 8 night cruise is a lot? We have two kids, 2 and 4. The cost of the cruise is about $1,700 with taxes, $1,400 before taxes and fees. So, $320 equates to a 22% tip. That seems a bit high, especially seeing that at least half of that cruise cost is not the food and room charge.

Please feel free to have at this (I'm sure you all will). I just wonder if there is some sort of in between number I can come up with.

Thanks, and have fun tearing this apart.

Don't let these people bully you. Tip what you think is right, high or low.

You can request the change at the pursers desk if you think $320 is too high.

The $10 per day per person is the "suggested" amount, but since it is a voluntary amount of money, you are free to decide what you think it should be.

Unlike many on here that seem to feel you are paying the workers for their service, you are not. They are being paid by Carnival (very little that is true, but being paid none the less) to do the job of providing you service. You are basically thanking them with money by tipping for providing good service to you and your family. How much YOU want to thank them is entirely up to you.

I personally only tip for services actually received. No service = no cash thank you. PERIOD.

I believe the OP tried to equate the total tip to a percentage of the trip cost. That's not relevant... what matters is the dollar amount you pay. Different people pay different prices for different cabins, but everyone pays the same auto-tip.

So the OP's premise is flawed. This is a bogus thread.

I believe the OP tried to equate the total tip to a percentage of the trip cost. That's not relevant... what matters is the dollar amount you pay. Different people pay different prices for different cabins, but everyone pays the same auto-tip.

So the OP's premise is flawed. This is a bogus thread.

What do you mean by that? Weird.

Had you read my other posts you would have seen that I said it mankes sense that everyone is getting the same food, and have the same size room, so should tip about the same. Figured out that cruise cost really has nothing to do with it. Suites and up may be different, as they receive higher end service.

Why say a thread is bogus? Are you always so jumpy? Dang, I'm having a hard time not getting mad at your comment. Have a nice Thanksgiving. But you'll probably tell the cook of your dinner the turkey is bogus!

Im not really sure what you mean by this?

We had to ask for toilet paper, thats not being demanding.

I didn't read it as assuming or thinking you were demanding.

Generally folks leave positive notes on comment cards..which the cruise line can use to "compliment" employees, and which go towards them getting a raise in pay, eventually. Negative comments can mean disciplinary action, and possible pay decrease.

So -- if indeed I'd received the lousy service you describe, while I would not have likely tried to reduce the auto-tip (that can be really a hassle, and it would be a reduction for everyone, not just your steward), I certainly would have been complaining...in person..to the hotel manager (or whatever his title is), and would have left a critical comment card.

So -- if indeed I'd received the lousy service you describe, while I would not have likely tried to reduce the auto-tip (that can be really a hassle, and it would be a reduction for everyone, not just your steward), I certainly would have been complaining...in person..to the hotel manager (or whatever his title is), and would have left a critical comment card.

Not true......you can reduce for your room steward while leaving other tips on........

What is your problem:confused: Why don't you read all the post before you start attacking:rolleyes: I never once even suggested removing tips.........Good lord:rolleyes:

I read all the posts, it was your reply "yea... so" back to me I thought wasnt real nice. Maybe its just how you talk. If in real life you said back to me "yea ... so" I would still consider it not nice.

We've sailed on Carnival once with our kids, and the autotips were the full amount. $10 per. When we sailed on NCL, the tips were half of that for the kids, in the same room with us, $5 per each child, each day. I thought that it was just fine either way, it's what the cruise line recommended.

I loved the kidsclubs on both cruises, the staff was wonderful, and while they do recieve salaries, it was strongly suggested at the event for parents on the last day of camp that our autotips don't include the camp carnival staff, and suggested we tip them if we care to show our appreciation. My son was thrilled to take his camp counselors an envelope with a handwritten note by him, and a tip. We tipped them $20.00, which I think was appropriate. They hung his note up on the wall of the kidsroom.

Archived