Booking With US Sites & US TA's

LuckiePuris

Surely it is good customer relations for the cruise line to get information on visa/entry requirements for each port of call on every cruise for each nationality cruising? One enquiry, rather than separate enquiries by each cruiser. That is the way it used to be. With the onus being on the cruiser to get the relevant visas/approvals.

I think a cruise line's primary purpose is to provide a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Trying to keep abreast of visas requirement etc would be a major headache for them and if they gave out the wrong info, then they leave themselves open to be sued - can you imagine being sued by potentially hundreds of passengers per cruise?? Nup, not going to happen !!

There are so many variables not to mention the fact that countries can change their visa / entry requirements at a moment's notice.

What I do is look up the internet, and then email the embassy or phone them.

Thank u to everyone who has replied to my query.

Aussie Gal, it seems I need a tourist card for Panama and Mexico. Do u recall if your ship got it for u?

I've emailed the consulates to get the info in writing.

Cheers

ging466

No you don't - we just did, Aruba, Columbia, Panama Canal, Panama City, Costa Rica, Huatulco, Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas and did not need anything but our passports and our American Esta visa.

No you don't - we just did' date=' Aruba, Columbia, Panama Canal, Panama City, Costa Rica, Huatulco, Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas and did not need anything but our passports and our American Esta visa.[/quote']

Thankx very much for confirming this. Did u enjoy your cruise?

Cheers

ging466

Perhaps we need a thread where we can share

visa information for Australian and New Zealand cruisers

who are going on an overseas cruise?

It does tend to get a little confusing at times.

We would have to be careful though,

and only quote personal experiences

as it is sometimes quite different for our 2 countries.

Perhaps we need a thread where we can share

visa information for Australian and New Zealand cruisers

who are going on an overseas cruise?

It does tend to get a little confusing at times.

We would have to be careful though,

and only quote personal experiences

as it is sometimes quite different for our 2 countries.

Good idea, David.

Do we then get to share a small part of the TA's commission? :)

Good idea, David.Do we then get to share a small part of the TA's commission? :)

Thought about it a bit more this afternoon , and on second thoughts, it may be best to leave things as they are , encouraging members to ask about specific visa requirements ,

as and when they need advice.

I wouldnt like to put up a thread that someone relied on,

only to find that overnight, as in some cases,

visa requirements had changed.

Thought about it a bit more this afternoon , and on second thoughts, it may be best to leave things as they are , encouraging members to ask about specific visa requirements ,

Agreed, after Eileen's response that none were needed for all her Panama ports of call recently. I really don't think many visas are actually required, when you are just cruising on a ship versus doing land tours.

In the rare cases when they were required, the TAs used to arrange (at a cost, as usually a courier was involved).

Agreed, after Eileen's response that none were needed for all her Panama ports of call recently. I really don't think many visas are actually required, when you are just cruising on a ship versus doing land tours.In the rare cases when they were required, the TAs used to arrange (at a cost, as usually a courier was involved).

Very true, and in most cases as you are only there for the day the cruise line will organise it for you as they usually hold your passport.....then charge you later:D

In all our travels the only visa I have had to get was for India,

and I know if I go to China , I will need one.

But they are strange, and each country is different.

When we went to Chile to join a cruise, we just walked through using our NZ passport, but Americans and Australians had to line up and pay an entry fee,before they went through passport control.

Where have been to a quite a few different countries and so far the only ones we have had to get on our own in the past few years have been for Brazil, China, Vietnam, India, Egypt, Jordan and Senegal. In regards to our cruise in May, Princess is going to obtain blanket visas for Togo, Benin, Ghana and Gambia.

It does depend on which cruise line you are travelling with. I think Princess is probably the cruise line that goes out of its way the most to provide blanket visas for their passengers whereas with the smaller cruiselines, they really don't want to be bothered eg. Oceania and Azamara. When we went to Russia with HAL back in 1999, they too obtained our visas but we had to do all the excursions with the ship whereas these days the private tour companies such as Red October will get the visas for you. I almost forgot that HAL did provide us with Blanket visas last November for Tunisia.

Jennie

Its amazing that we have drifted on to talk about visas,

and in some ways ,

we come back to the main topic of this thread.

In my experience,just with Princess and HAL,

they have been excellent in informing passengers of visa requirements,

providing they are US or Canadian citizens.

When we have asked them what was required for AU,

or NZ passengers,

they dont know,

and why should they?

Thats where booking through a local TA,

could solve any visa problems.....

if we are not able to solve them ourselves......

and providing our local TA's

can offer the same deals.

and in some ways ,

You can only stay "spitting chips" for so long. :)

However, the cruise industry should be happy we're all fired up, because once apathy sets in Down Under they are done and dusted!

Hi Aussie Gal

I have been searching for information about getting a visa for Tunisia. We have been told by the embassy in Japan (no embassy in Australia) that we can get one when we enter the port - but couldn't find out if there was a blanket visa issued by HAL . Nth Americans, Brits and most Europeans don't need a visa so we didn't think HAL would bother with a minority group.

We were worried that if we booked a shore excursion through HAL, we might be holding everyone up.

From your comment, it seems that HAL will have a visa for us??

Thanks in advance for any new information about this issue.

At least people who are able to access this site have internet access and are able to do research themselves eg emailing embassies. I agree that requirements for countries wanting visas can change so quickly.

I had the same problem with my next cruise leaving in 6 days. MY US based TA didnt have an idea as I am an Aussie. The Aussie cruiseline staff wouldn't help.

So I went online to ea of the countries government website and check visa requirements online. Please note read the notres at the end of the lists as some of the Caribbean countries that I am going to require Visa's for Aussies.....EXCEPT IF YOU ARE VISITING ON A CRUISESHIP FOR LESS THAN 48HRS.

I also took the precaution of printing out each page just in case. The page has the date on it so if I do run into anyone who wants to stop me either cruiseship of immigration I have a copy of their latest requirements that I can say well I have researched and attempted to comply. It is not my fault that your government has incorrect information.

If anyone wants the links to some of the Caribbean webpages see below.

http://www.stlucia.gov.lc/faq/do_i_need_a_visa_to_enter_saint_lucia.htm#Visa_Fees_And_Exemptions

http://www.foreignaffairs.gov.ag/diplomacy/visa_requirements.php

http://gip.gov.kn/ct.asp?xItem=237&ctNode=215&mp=6

Hi Aussie Gal

We were worried that if we booked a shore excursion through HAL, we might be holding everyone up.

From your comment, it seems that HAL will have a visa for us??

Thanks in advance for any new information about this issue.

Charlie,

We went armed with a piece of paper that said we could get a visa on arrival for a certain amount of money. We didn't need to show it as when we arrived at the port and just before we left for our tour, the immigration officers from Tunisia were seated at a desk on our way out and obviously presumed we were either U.S. or Canadian citiziens and just stamped our passports. Mind you, there were only about 6 Aussies on board our cruise.

Jennie

Stingau,

On the cruise we are doing in May, we will be going to the Cape Verde Islands. I have managed to ascertain that we can apply for a visa on arrival. In case Princess doesn't do this for us, I have two copies of the application form for a visa (one for my DH and self) and I am taking a couple of passport photos as well just in case.

One has to go prepared when visas are involved.

Jennie

Jennie

No you don't - we just did' date=' Aruba, Columbia, Panama Canal, Panama City, Costa Rica, Huatulco, Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas and did not need anything but our passports and our American Esta visa.[/quote']

Hey good to see you are back. Did you have a great time? We head off in 20 days. Also doing Mexico - definitely no need for anything other than your passport and ESTA (to get into USA)

Diane.

and in some ways ,

In my experience,just with Princess and HAL,

they have been excellent in informing passengers of visa requirements,

providing they are US or Canadian citizens.

When we have asked them what was required for AU,

or NZ passengers,

they dont know,

and why should they?

Thats where booking through a local TA,

could solve any visa problems.....

if we are not able to solve them ourselves......

and providing our local TA's

can offer the same deals.

Are you kidding? Have you ever asked your travel agent re visas? Standard response is "check with embassy". Here is the note that was in our booking with well known AUS Travel Agent.

You must verify visa requirements for all passengers with the embassy, consulate or immigration office of the countries in your cruise itinerary. If these documents are not provided at the pier, you will be denied boarding and may forfeit the full amount paid for your cruise.

Are you kidding? Have you ever asked your travel agent re visas? Standard response is "check with embassy". Here is the note that was in our booking with well known AUS Travel Agent.

You must verify visa requirements for all passengers with the embassy, consulate or immigration office of the countries in your cruise itinerary. If these documents are not provided at the pier, you will be denied boarding and may forfeit the full amount paid for your cruise.

Guess it depends on who you go to.

Whenever we have asked for a quote it comes back

with a complete breakdown of costs,

plus what visas are required,

how much they will cost ,

and a note that they will obtain all that is necessary,

should we accept the deal.

Dave,

I must admit that when I used to book with my suburban T.A. she did organize all of my visas. In fact I believe that this particular agency has won numerous awards just recently for the most booked Azamara and Oceania bookings in either Victoria or Australia.

Of course with any internet agency you cannot expect that sort of service and I don't. I would rather save money on the cruise and do a bit of work myself finding out what visas I need and where to get them.

By the way, I am having trouble posting on C.C. today using Internet Explorer, I have had to go to Firefox. Is anyone else having trouble?

Jennie

Yes Jennie, I too have been having a few difficulties today.

David we have booked a new Sth American Cruise which now goes from Santiago to Rio , Feb 23rd. Rio-Fort Lauderdale. March 9th. Still a great deal thro our TA as Princess (very kindly!!!!!!) gave it to us for the same price as the one that was cancelled even though it is 1 day less.

Dave,

I must admit that when I used to book with my suburban T.A. she did organize all of my visas. In fact I believe that this particular agency has won numerous awards just recently for the most booked Azamara and Oceania bookings in either Victoria or Australia.

Of course with any internet agency you cannot expect that sort of service and I don't. I would rather save money on the cruise and do a bit of work myself finding out what visas I need and where to get them.

By the way, I am having trouble posting on C.C. today using Internet Explorer, I have had to go to Firefox. Is anyone else having trouble?

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

We are all having trouble today,

and its not just this board.All boards on CC are having trouble.

I certainly agree re TA's.

Its horses for courses.

The best we have had are folk who own their own business

and give personal service to the client.

We always let them know we are shopping around and expect them to meet the deals we have found.

Once we were told that they could not come anywhere near and they told us to go for the best deal we could.

Usually they come pretty close.

It is certainly a lot different dealing with big agencies,

where they just have ,

(as I have seen reffered to on CC)

"booking bunnies".

But here again if you know what you are doing,

and know what you want...

not a problem.

All the best for your Ocean Princess cruise ,

you are certainly in for some amazing sights and experiences.

Yes Jennie, I too have been having a few difficulties today.

David we have booked a new Sth American Cruise which now goes from Santiago to Rio , Feb 23rd. Rio-Fort Lauderdale. March 9th. Still a great deal thro our TA as Princess (very kindly!!!!!!) gave it to us for the same price as the one that was cancelled even though it is 1 day less.

Good one Liz,

Barry and I are very pleased for you.

So you get to go around the Cape,

and up the entire coast to FL.

Great.

If you do get the chance, a pre cruise stay in

Santiago and Vina del Mar is well worth doing.

The people in Chile are just wonderful.

oooh - I'm still having trouble with CC - can't quote text, or "reply to a post" or even see any Avatars etc and the site seems to be very slow.

Re going to your local TA for Visa info, our local TA has a soft cover book which is published annually - probably by a Govt Dept I would think. Anyway I was talking to her about the difficulties we had in trying to get a Visa and she turned to her trusty book and told me who I could contact.

The only problem was that the information was outdated after it was published. So my recommendation would be to make your own enquiries about Visas

Re boarding a Princess ship - the people checking us in only seem to look for those Visas required by US citizens and would have no idea if Aussies need a Visa for Senegal. They were more concerned that our Visa for Brazil ran out a couple of days after our scheduled visit. I explained that Aussies can only get a 3 month Visa, not a 5 year Visa that US cits can get, but he checked with his Supervisor anyway.

And BTW, we met some fellow Aussies on board who boarded without a Visa to Senegal - they weren't aware that they had to have one !

Archived