NCL Officially Announces Cancellation of Dawn's 11/29 Cruise

njhorseman

Sure hope you all make it home safe.

The people I think who are suffering are the ones booked to leave today.

What a disappointment. I know the months of planning etc down the drain.

But, do take the discount to take a cruise in prime season to get your best bang for your buck is I guess what I would do.

I remember back in 2000 it was my kids lst, we started cruising in 1979. We were on the Destiny during Feb break, the Destiny had broken down and no power -=- adrift. We did not know till the night before at about 10:30 pm that we would be on the plane at 6:00am in the morning to Miami. It did work out. But the crew was so exhausted from waiting on the passangers hand and foot for the last couple of days they were a little short. Not all employees but some.

Our ship was packed that week 3600 guests and the people were so rude. One lady was pushing me at the buffet to get to the food, I finally had enough and turned around as said "DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WILL RUN OUT OF FOOD !?" She backed right off.

That being said -- we are booked for Feb 12th for our family trip with everyone looking forward to this -- if my trip was cancelled I would be devistated -- but would probably book right away another trip to at least I could have something to look forward to.

Still VERY UPSETTING all the plannning etc.

My heart goes out to you all -- try and make the best -- book another cruise NOW!!

Ruby red-- good for you getting placed onto a different ship.... that is what has upset me...we called at 6am this morning when we landed in San Francisco (from San Diego en route to Miami) and they said there was no availability on any other cruises....what time did you call this morning to get your new cruise booked??

Let me vent a bit here folks.... I would have traded 7 days of good cruising with 2 days no power/water with a 75% refund and 50% off next cruise versus cancellation of cruise w/ refund, 50% off next cruise-- I am out 160 dollars of baggage fees, a week of blown vacation at work, 400 dollars for hotel rooms that were beyond their cancellation cut-off, almost 1000 dollars of airfare for my party of 7 just to get back to their respective homes..... folks who say don't get upset--- put yourself in this situation and have the NCL customer service reps treat you like crap.....

Here is my original posting on our unfortunate Saturday travels that we have been looking forward to for months:

I really wish Norwegian would have canceled this cruise sooner to give customers more than a 24 hour advanced notice.... the SEVEN of us completed our first leg of flights to Miami in San Francisco...I turned my phone on and had a recorded message from NCL stating that the cruise had been canceled. We are now in San Francisco trying to figure out what to do from here....two parties left back home for Texas... two others decided to divert and plan a totally new trip to Hawaii.... and the last 3 of us are here in a hotel room devastated. We had the garden villa- 30th birthday celebration complete with limos to and from airports/ hotel in miami, etc etc. Not to mention the week of vacation everyone took. The kicker was the HORRIBLE customer service provided by NCL when I called- a supervisor by the name of Ken at ext. 6373 was beyond rude. His lack of professionalism, empathy for the situation, and downright rudeness was shocking. His comments such as "there is nothing i can do for you- there are 2500+ people in your situation.... quit trying to coerse me into something I can't provide you" left me speechless. This man has no idea what the meaning of customer service is and should be demoted or fired. I have raved about NCL to friends and family and until today was sincerely loyal to NCL. We shall see how the company will handle this situation in the future days to weeks- this will be the true test in determining my future loyalty to NCL.

I am sorry to all of the fellow cruisers that had their vacations cancelled. Hopefully we shall meet on a future cruise :-)

Pete

My heart goes out to you.

It's very disappointing planning and looking forward to a vacation and have it be cancelled.

Hopefully you can reschedule and and get a better deal than you got on this cruise. Plan it now it will make you feel better.

I really hope you have travel insurance. All your expenses will be covered with your plan.

This situation reinforces that my purchasing travel insurance has been a good decision. Since my mom is 75 we thought it was a good idea. Then I learned that all sailing in the same cabin need to take it (that's with NCL's). I will continue buying insurance, especially after reading here.

To everyone who was affected by this, my heart goes out to you. I know you are frustrated and disappointed. I know how bummed I would be. After the dust settles I hope you all are able to reschedule a new vacation.

Got the email last night after we checked into our motel in Miami. They called our home number but didn't leave a message (so it wasn't forwarded to our cell). I just called and was told since we were on the 14-day, they're not sure if they can rebook us on the 9-day. Got a number for customer service which should be open now, but isn't

So we have no idea what we're supposed to do. We used $1,000 in cruise rewards, will that expire if not used ASAP? What about the deposit we made (we had booked on a previous cruise, so the $250 deposit had to be used by a certain date). It'd be much easier to just rebook now, but no one knows if we can

If any ship afloat today is jinxed...it is the Dawn! From this incident to passengers going overboard and "rogue" waves. If I received a comp cruise on her I would offer it to my worst enemy. :mad:

I was thinking that myself.....

I was on the cruise where the woman went overboard.....in addition to that we had something like 50mph winds and 50 ft waves (I don't remember exactly...but they were both large numbers) to Bermuda and back.

It's not a lucky ship.

Got the email last night after we checked into our motel in Miami. They called our home number but didn't leave a message (so it wasn't forwarded to our cell). I just called and was told since we were on the 14-day, they're not sure if they can rebook us on the 9-day. Got a number for customer service which should be open now, but isn't

So we have no idea what we're supposed to do. We used $1,000 in cruise rewards, will that expire if not used ASAP? What about the deposit we made (we had booked on a previous cruise, so the $250 deposit had to be used by a certain date). It'd be much easier to just rebook now, but no one knows if we can

You will not lose your cruise rewards. They will be transferred to another booking. When incidents outside of NCL's control happen, they will honor those points by extending the deadline. Just be sure to get everything in writing.

If any ship afloat today is jinxed...it is the Dawn! From this incident to passengers going overboard and "rogue" waves. If I received a comp cruise on her I would offer it to my worst enemy. :mad:

I have to admit that did cross my mind. :o Curious if anyone knows if the bottle broke upon her christening?

But totally accurate. Sometimes in emergencies, we all have to do things that we would rather not do. For some people, that will unfortunately involve flying to get home.

I know...it just sounded so cold. There is not much one can do.

You would have to know the person this was directed at. Urbantrekker (Dennis) is a friend from past cruises. He chooses not to fly mainly out of fear. Push come to shove he would bite the bullet and fly if need be. It may take a few beers to oil him up but he would deal with it.

And yes. the original comment was a bit harsh. But, we all know that threads like this turn into just that, personal opinions that are sterile of the real emotions that can be felt.

PE

PE

Ruby red-- good for you getting placed onto a different ship.... that is what has upset me...we called at 6am this morning when we landed in San Francisco (from San Diego en route to Miami) and they said there was no availability on any other cruises....what time did you call this morning to get your new cruise booked??

Let me vent a bit here folks.... I would have traded 7 days of good cruising with 2 days no power/water with a 75% refund and 50% off next cruise versus cancellation of cruise w/ refund, 50% off next cruise-- I am out 160 dollars of baggage fees, a week of blown vacation at work, 400 dollars for hotel rooms that were beyond their cancellation cut-off, almost 1000 dollars of airfare for my party of 7 just to get back to their respective homes..... folks who say don't get upset--- put yourself in this situation and have the NCL customer service reps treat you like crap.....

Here is my original posting on our unfortunate Saturday travels that we have been looking forward to for months:

I really wish Norwegian would have cancelled this cruise sooner to give customers more than a 24 hour advanced notice.... the SEVEN of us completed our first leg of flights to miami in San Francisco...I turned my phone on and had a recorded message from NCL stating that the cruise had been cancelled. We are now in San Francisco trying to figure out what to do from here....two parties left back home for Texas... two others decided to divert and plan a totally new trip to Hawaii.... and the last 3 of us are here in a hotel room devastated. We had the garden villa- 30th birthday celebration complete with limos to and from airports/ hotel in miami, etc etc. Not to mention the week of vacation everyone took. The kicker was the HORRIBLE customer service provided by NCL when I called- a supervisor by the name of Ken at ext. 6373 was beyond rude. His lack of professionalism, empathy for the situation, and downright rudeness was shocking. His comments such as "there is nothing i can do for you- there are 2500+ people in your situation.... quit trying to coerse me into something I can't provide you" left me speechless. This man has no idea what the meaning of customer service is and should be demoted or fired. I have raved about NCL to friends and family and until today was sincerely loyal to NCL. We shall see how the company will handle this situation in the future days to weeks- this will be the true test in determining my future loyalty to NCL.

I am sorry to all of the fellow cruisers that had their vacations cancelled. Hopefully we shall meet on a future cruise :-)

Pete

did you consider a land-based trip to miami?

Good morning PE - interesting reading after a couple too many beers last night.

How does/would NCL handle those passengers like myself who don't fly - kinda hard to get from San Juan to Miami by train. That would be my biggest stress if this were to happen on a cruise that I am on.

Cheers

Dennis

I was wondering the same thing. I no longer fly, but I cruise often. I suppose that NCL would not arrange transport on another ship (if that were even possible, which it probably isn't). It's also probably buried somewhere in the cruise contract (in very fine print) that if a passenger refuses the transport provided by the line after an emergency, then said passenger is on his/her own. As afraid as I am to fly, I guess I'd take the transport rather than be left in Puerto Rico on my own and at my own cost to get home. Much as I HATE to fly, it would be the lesser (and cheaper) of the evils. But, I'd need some really strong liquor.

Archived