HELP! loyal NCL cruiser looking to try Carnival - travelling with a 4 year old

kosoffj

I'm in a bit of a bind, we are pretty much loyal NCL cruisers (big fans so no need to bash them please). Booked on a b2b ncl cruise that may be cancelled due to engine problems. It isn't cancelled yet, but i need a backup plan and am looking at 3 Carnival cruises to at least make up 7 days of the first part. I'd like to put something onhold tomorrow as i am freaking a bit.

Looking at the Glory, Valor, and Liberty. We typically book balcony cabins on NCL but of course given the late date, we are limited in our cabin selection. i can get an oceanview on the all 3, but i can get an oceanview suite on the liberty. Any opinions on the ships or cabins? How they are with a small child?

We slightly prefer the itinerary on the glory (because our 2nd cruise on the Dawn - if it isn't cancelled - is a 5 nighter to gc and cozumel so the other 2 duplicate somewhat)

There are 3 of us (which makes cabins a bit harder), dh and i are in our mid 30's and our almost 4 year old son. Couple specifinc questions, does that sofa on the oceanview fold out? any thoughts on the kids club on carnival (if you could compare it to ncl all the better)

Thanks guys! Looking forward to SOME cruise by friday :eek:

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your cruise drama. Just read the headline on the HOME page about the Dawn power failure. I would think that they could not afford to have the Dawn out of service for more than one week, as that would be 100's of 1000's of lost revenue for that missing cruise.

Anyway--we have been on both NCL and CCL with the kids. On Carnival we have traveled in an interior cabin and an oceanview, and there are 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids). We really enjoy the oceanview b/c the window is recessed, creating a neat little seat that is perfect for the kids to sit in.

The CCL kids club is very similar to NCL as far as activities go: face painting, parties, arts/crafts, etc. You will NOT have a fun ball pit or jungle gym on CCL though. Those seem to be unique to NCL. As well, there is no themed kids pool in CCL. It is just a plain old wading pool. No fun statues or anything kid themed.

We've traveled on the Glory, and really enjoyed it. Nice big ship. We also recently returned from the Carnival Freedom, which is of the same class as the CCL Liberty. Also a nice, big ship.

You probably won't go wrong with any of the 3 CCL ships you listed. If I were you, I'd choose based on itinerary.

If you're DAWN cruise gets cancelled, will they reschedule you, or give you a credit? Future discount.

I think you should think positively, and bet on the fact they will need to get that ship in time for your cruise. No way they can afford no to.

Good luck!

CeleBrat

thanks celebrat - sounds bad on the ncl board, ship is stuck in san juan, just want to keep my options open :)

to the last cruise they cancelled it was 100% refund (obviously) and 50% off a cruise in 2010.

we are also considering the pearl and jewel on ncl but because of all this drama, ncl took their 3 day hold away and made it a 2 hour hold :(

I cruised on the Glory last March break. My ds - aged 3 3/4 - loved Camp Carnival. He wanted to spend all his time there. They have camp dinners in the buffet on certain nights, talent show, a build a bear type activity etc. I'm sure your little guy would like it just as much.

Check the deck plans for your ship and cabin...it will tell you what type of bedding is in each room...some have sofabeds, some have pullmans (that fold from the wall)...the bedding is different in different cabins, but the deck plans will show you what you're booking.

Archived