Thinking of booking on NCL? Read this first!

Lori Dobson

No I respectfully disagree. Those who castigate others on this board for posting their opinions and essentially punish people for having an opinion that differs from your own are the bane of Cruise Critic.

Sorry, MrsLeo, but people simply have to point out the rants that are essentially baseless, such as this one. Especially when they are titled as warnings to the whole world not to cruise NCL. Some people actually believe these postings and base vacation decisions on them.

When you strip out the inaccuracies about spa and other tipping, there is one real complaint: the lobster business. All the OP had to do was say: Hey, I didn't get all my lobster back. And that would have been fixed.

One can only wonder how many people will read this rant and have it affect their vacation decision. How much better if instead of a rant the posting had simply asked questions, like: Is the spa service charge intended to be in lieu of a tip, or is it expected that one tip on top of it? And: If I'm unhappy with a meal set in front of me, can you suggest how I should handle it?

I believe people should should show some sense of responsibility before ranting, to be sure they aren't ranting about nothing.

Sorry you had such a bad cruise experience on NCL, especially not being able to attend the Captain's cocktail party... I know on every NCL cruise we have gone on we have always attended the Captain's cocktail party... not really much to it... come in, get your picture made with the captain, make a little small talk with the ship's crew, eat some fancy canapes and out the door in about 45 minutes... so you really didn't miss much...

But my big question is - how were the ports you stopped in? Wasn't that that the main reason for your cruise - to see the Mediterrean?

Would you recommend the places that NCL took you... I am interested in booking this cruise and I appreciate you telling me the things to watch out for...

I never go to the spa or the barber shop on any cruise line... I learned that the hard way on one of my early cruises... I needed a haircut so I made an appointment...

The price of the haircut wasn't bad, it was just the extra things I bought that ran the bill up... but that was my fault for falling for the sales pitch...

We have Teppinyaki restaurants all over Atlanta so I won't need to eat there - I have always thought those places were more for show than for eating... everytime I go to one I have to stop somewhere else to eat before we get home because I am still hungry...

I am sorry the hotel and restaurant managers did not take care of your problems like you thought they should... just exactly what did you think they should do for you?

Personally, I think the fruit and the wine was a nice gesture on their part but I am like you I don't drink so it is hard to bribe me with alcohol...

It is a shame you let the little incident in the Japanese restaurant keep you from trying the other speciality restaurants on board... I have always found Cagney's and LeBistro to be a very good deal compared to what I would pay for the same thing at a land based restaurant...

Once again I am sorry you won't be booking NCL again... and I do appreciate you giving me the heads up on what to look for...

The ports were fantastic and I do give NCL credit for giving us as much time in Port as they could, especially the overnight in Egypt

Is your husbands name Lou by any chance.

Considering how little it would have taken to make me happy, they really missed the boat, so to speak – because of these experiences and some others detailed below, I probably will not sail Norwegian again, considering I have had much better experiences on Carnival, Celebrity and Holland America.\

For everything you mentioned sounds like nothing would have pleased you anyway'

Odios!

NOT TRUE - I have been on NINE other curises and have been delighted with all of them - your statement is unfair and untrue. You obviously didn't read the whole post - I had similar incidents with Carnival in the Spa and they gave me an exellent resolution.

Maybe NCL isn't for you. I am taking this exact cruise next year. If I was a gambling woman, and I am, I expect my review will be different (better).

No one forced any of the add-on items on you. All optional.

Good luck and happy cruising!

I never said anything was forced on me. I jsut expected a bit better value for my money. Again, MY OPINION>

Happy cruising to you also.

Hi Lori,

I for one really appreciate your review. I have never cruised before and have been doing a lot of research lately on various cruise lines. I was starting to zone in on NCL for a spring caribbean cruise next year and posts like yours are truly invaluable to me in making a well informed decision. We will probably still go ahead and book a cruise with NCL, but at least we will know what to expect and what to look out for. Thank you so much!

Racheal

Thanks for your comments - Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I appreciated your review as I want to take this cruise in the next year or two. I think the title might be a little loud though

I expect to have a better time as the things that are important to you are not as important to me and I appreciate some things that I think are not that important to you.

That's why there are different lines for different people.

BTW, if you don't mind, what did you do in Egypt?

thanks for your comments. We did a day tour with a guide that a friend had recommended - Excellent and very inexpensive, $180 PP for a 12 hour tour. Many people took overnight tours and they said they wish thhey hadn't - if you want our guide's info, just let me know.

Lori

Hi Lori-

To use your quote, "I’m a big believer in “forwarded is forearmed” and I wish I had known some of this beforehand – I probably would have booked with another line with a similar itinerary." Why were you not aware prior to going? There is just a plethora of information available. Why did you choose NCL over other mainstream lines initially?

When we did a Med cruise a couple of years ago with NCL, I think we could have bought a Honda Civic for less than we paid for 2 Owners Suites. We LOVED it. We did our homework, but it exceeded our expectations...far better than the previous great Celebrity suite experiences we had. But, then we tried NCL in a balcony cabin...hated it; completely different experience. Did we call it quits, no. We knew from the Suite experience that the cruise experience was probably different depending on cabin type. Tried NCL again in the Garden Villa...changed forever. Nothing will ever compare.

Knowing what you're getting yourself into in advance is key...and I perceive that you are trying to educate others so they are aware before making the investment or setting false expectations. Still though...if you factor in the cost of an NCL cruise, add a couple hundred for specialtly restaurants...I think you'll still come out with a lower tab than another mainstream line. BUT...try a suite on NCL. It is a great experience.

Sounds like they really did try to make amends for the perceived service failures; just seems like their version of compensating was, again, different from your expectation.

Good luck going forward.

Rick,

Thanks for your comments. I did do a lot of research, on CC and other sites - one can't learn Everything in advance, I guess!

Lori

I never said anything was forced on me. I jsut expected a bit better value for my money. Again, MY OPINION>

Happy cruising to you also.

Hi Lori,

I have always thought that spas were a rip, no matter the line.

I will say that I thought Tepp... (sp) was my least favorite of the specialty restaurants but have loved LeBistro and Cagney's and liked the Italian and Mexican restaurants.

thanks for your comments. We did a day tour with a guide that a friend had recommended - Excellent and very inexpensive, $180 PP for a 12 hour tour. Many people took overnight tours and they said they wish thhey hadn't - if you want our guide's info, just let me know.

Lori

Thanks for the info. I wondered about overnighting v. daytripping. It is nice to see that a day trip can be a good thing.

Wow...sorry to hear that you were so disappointed. Perhaps if you had done some reading on these boards or some other basic research you would have known what to expect. It is said that "forewarned is forarmed"...but, I guess its a little late for that now.

I am curious as to what the issues were that the HD "did nothing about"...of the issues you mention, something was offered in each case, so you really can't say nothing was done.

You really should have researched the spa. This is NOT NCL...the spa is a contracted vendor. They are charging you, not NCL. The 18% is a gratuity, and is not kept by the cruiseline as you mentioned. It was nice of the spa manager to offer to compensate you when you had your issue. It is too bad that you had other plans...but we all make choices, right?

I also see that you had an issue with the spa on Carnival. Now that you've had issues with the spa on two different cruiselines, I hope that in the future that you will take extra precautions so that you don't experience yet another spa issue.

I won't comment on your issues with a yoga class being run by a foreigner.

As for the Teppanyaki Restaurant...I don't understand the "tip not included" reference. Simple research would have told you that tips are not required on NCL ships. If you really felt that you didn't get the correct food portion, why did you not point this out to the chef right on the spot? If it wasn't taken care of the restaurant manager, food & beverage director, and/or hotel director should have been called on the spot so that they could see the problem firsthand. If this was such a big issue, you may have gotten YOUR surcharge refunded, but I don't think you should have two refunds. Since you waited so long to say something, I think it was nice of the hotel director to send you the fruit basket and the wine.

And the extra charge for certain menu items...well known and documented on this site. Again, a little research goes a long way.

And speaking of research, looking into the restaurant situation would show that there are three additional dining options that you did not mention that also do not carry any sort of surcharge.

Additionally, research would have shown that the Internet situation has been discussed to DEATH on these boards. Nothing new there. You should appreciate that the Internet connection in your cabin is wired and not wireless...the wired connection speed will always be faster than the wireless. Everyone has to make their own choices...watching TV and surfing the Internet is something I can do at home for "free", so its not something I'm going to waste my time and/or money on while on my vacation...but that's just me.

The Captain's Cocktail Party is the Latitudes Party on NCL and is for past guests...everyone gets an invitation in their stateroom upon boarding.

Overall, it seems like a vacation with a la carte pricing isn't your cup of tea. Perhaps you should look into all-inclusive options. I know many people who sail and never spend a dime on anything other than the three required charges (fare, taxes, and service charge). Other people like to partake in the options that are offered. Something for everyone.

Better luck on your next vacation...again...don't skimp on the research...knowledge is an asset.

#1 - I wasn't complaining about a "foreigner" at the yoga class - my issue wass that I could not understand her, the class was very rushed and thus did not get much out of the class.

#2 - I DID a l;ot of research - I did not see anywhere that there was an 18% surcharge on everything. One can't learn everything.

#3 - As the restaraunt was a shared table, I was not goint to inconveneince the other guests by calling the Foor and Restaraunt manager at that moment and demand that they come "on the spot". I talked to them within an hour after the meal. I was not happy with their reolution. Once again, MY OPINION - I do not ask anyone else to agree.

#4 - once again, IN MY OPINION< they internet was faster on other lines. The cabled connection was no faster than the wireless on this ship.

#5 - The captain's Cocktail party is for ALL guests on Carnival.

Lastly, as I keep saying over and over, These were OPINIONS based on my experience. I think other curise lines are a better value, even though they are also "a la carte" pricing, as you mentioned. Thanks for yoru comments.

Not exactly sure what the issues were that did not get attention. I think the lobster thing and spa?

Okay, the lobster thing did make sense. As to getting your money back, maybe. Though the rest of the dinner was good, so getting all the money back did not make sense. As to the wine - hey, they tried. Give them credit for that. How were they to know.

Spa - we stopped doing that a long time ago. Paying well over $100 an hour for so-so service and maybe having to deal with a sales pitch, and then not sure about also tipping the person, etc. Just not worth it. Better spa's at home for half the money.

There were some other issues that made sense. Internet stinks on all ships unless you get on while nobody else is using the link. I always do the higher number of minutes, so have some experience, but no expert for sure as it compares to other ships.

Now, I have a complaint. I found it hard reading this 1 cruise ship, 4 cruise ship thing. I thought it was something to do with past experience. I went back and see it was your rating system. Can you send me a bottle of wine for the trouble - just a joke, let it go.

Thanks for your comments. Red or White?:)

I found this to be an interesting review, well if you can call it that. IT seems that the OP is not going to sail NCL again for two reasons:

1. The SPA charges too much and adds a surcharge to services plus expects a tip.
  2. The specialty restaurants charge too much plus expect a tip.

The only issue I have with this is that nothing forces you to go to the SPA, and even when there you are not required to leave an additional gratuity. Every ship that I have been on seems to have similar charges, and truthfully according to my wife every land based spa has the same type of fee structure. She tells me that the surcharge is the gratuity. :rolleyes:

No one forces you to go to a particular restaurant on the ship. I find the Teppanaki style restaurants to be over prices no matter where they are located. You pay exorbitant prices for poor quality food to begin with, and once you have been to one know that they combine everyone's food into one big pile. What you are paying for that those places is the ambiance, not the food anyway.

Is there something else that I am missing or is that the extent of the complaints?

If those are the things that made the OP upset, I'm not sure that anything could have made the OP happy.

I never said I was FORCED to do anything. The 18% surcharge was NOT a gratuity - I asked the spa manager that question. It was a surcharge for the ship - gratuity was additional. If you completely read the post, I did say I had a similar spa issue (missing some parts of the service) on Carnival and they made me very happy with the resolution. It is unfair to say that ""nothing could have made me happy". Once again, as I stated in the begininng, all of the statments are my opinion and I offed them as such - I do not expect anyoen to agree with me. Everyone is different and has different expectations.

NOT TRUE - I have been on NINE other curises and have been delighted with all of them - your statement is unfair and untrue. You obviously didn't read the whole post - I had similar incidents with Carnival in the Spa and they gave me an exellent resolution.

The point someone else already tried to make is that neither spas - the ones on Carnival or NCL are run by the cruise lines. It's very easy to go to a chain store run by different managers and get different service, and that is what happened to you. Your issue with the spa isn't a Carnival or NCL thing. Even though the manager on board the Carnival ship did a better job of satisfying you, I think both spas may be run by the same company (and the name excapes me at the moment).

No I respectfully disagree. Those who castigate others on this board for posting their opinions and essentially punish people for having an opinion that differs from your own are the bane of Cruise Critic.

To the OP, I agree with some others that you might have avoided some disappointment had you known the "service charge you paid" is in essence a gratuity, and you are not in any way obligated to leave an additional amount to cover a gratuity. Typically these service charges and tips are pooled and distributed to the crew.

I too feel the spa services are overpriced and that is why I get my spa services at home from people I know and trust. They are counting on my return business so I know they will work hard to please me...that is not the case on board the ship. The spa is not operated by the cruise line and is operated by a subcontracting company. The people doing your services are tasked with moving product and making their employer money first, and pleasing you second. If they do not perform to their employer's expectations they are put off the ship and sent home. I am astounded when people mention they would consider services like tooth whitening, and botox injections from cruise ship spa staff. No way! You are never going to see these people. If they screw something up, you have no recourse. One thing you should also know is that almost all of the mainstream cruise lines use the same subcontractor to operate the spas on board, so I think you will likely run into similar issues on many ships and cruise lines. I do however highly recommend the day pass to the spa. I really enjoy it on a rainy or cloudy day and it is much nicer than the average cruise ship spa area, and it is NOT unusual to pay extra for the use of it, I know we did even on Costa and their spa was nice, but not quite as nice as NCL's on their newer ships.

With regard to ship's internet, they are all the same, slow. It is typical and it is part of the deal. If you are at sea. it is slow. If a storm rolls in, it is often inoperable. So you will need to accept that is just how things are when you cruise. I much prefer to find an internet cafe when in port. It is much faster and cheaper. The only time I use the ships internet these days is if I have to be in touch for business and it can't wait until I am in port.

We had no problems finding them on our Med Cruise.

The situation in Teppanyaki... well I have to agree with you to a degree, if I look at our first experience at Teppanyaki years ago on the Spirit, OMG how they spoiled us. The food quality was better, the quantity larger and does not compare to what they are doing in Teppanyaki currently. However, for us it was still enjoyable, we had great tablemates, the food was good enough and the actual presentation was entertaining. I was disappointed with our experience in Cagney's on our cruise a few weeks ago, but I did not write off all of the restaurants because of that. As a result we had some pretty good dining experiences in spite of the fact that all cruise lines are cutting back right now. They have to cut costs to remain profitable in tough economic times. I do believe what the HD did was a nice gesture, he has no way of knowing that you do not drink red wine. I am not sure when your last cruise was, but I can see a huge difference within just the last year with regard to them cutting back in certain areas.

With regard to that 18% surcharge... I am curious what else that was attached to. I know on any drinks, such as soda, alcohol etc..., spa services, it is like that on any of the mainstream cruise lines.

I think perhaps your disappointment on many levels (not all) is due to unrealistic expectations and not knowing what to expect before you got on the ship. Nearly all of the mainstream cruise lines are doing auto tips of $10-$12 per day, this is not new. The standard in recent history has been $10/day. There has always been in recent history (the past 5 years)an additional gratuity on drinks and certain services. So I am not sure why these things would surprise you if you have cruised before.

Thanks for your comments. I never said anything, however, about the $12PP/PD surcharge - I was well awarre of that and expected it. I am a veteran of 9 cruises and know very well what to expect - and I do not think my expectations are unrealistic. I wa merely comparing some specific experiences on this cruise the cruise to others I have taken before and found NCL not as good. Once again, MY OPIONION.

We spent 21 days on the Jade last Jan/Feb on a B2B in the Mediterranean and had an absolutely fantastic cruise. We truly went for the adventure of the 10 different ports we were to visit, plus the bargain price compared to a land trip that visited all the different places we went on our trip. We were delighted by the Jade, her great crew, and even the food. We found nothing major to fault, although we were the first cruise to have the $12. pp per day service charge imposed even though we had booked under the $10. pp rate. Some folks were upset about that, but we dealt with it before we boarded and di not let that taint our experience on the Jade.

One free food venue you did not mention above is the Blue Lagoon. Our OV cabin was on the 8th floor where the Blue Lagoon is located and we ate breakfast there many mornings, as well as getting served some great "comfort food" snacks! Learned to avoid it if there were too many people, but since we like to get up and go early in the morning it was perfect for us. Did not use the spa, only the free gym equipment every morning, so can not comment on the pay-for-use services there. Our favorite specialty restaurants on the Jade are Cagney's and Salsa's (free margaritas with meal). Your noro-virus episode was unfortunate and can happen anywhere a large group of people congregate. We were concerned since we were porting and spending the night at a hotel in Cairo - but managed to have no digestive upsets - although we were VERY prepared ahead of time with remedies and preventative measures.

Your review does show the good points as well as what you did not enjoy, so it is your perspective. Sorry that it was not the perfect trip for you, that is was for us. Everyone has their own view on their particular cruise experience. We would love to go back on the Jade someday. Our memories of our voyage on her are very special.

THANK YOU so much for recognizing what I was trying to say, the good as well as the bad. I really appreciate it.

My first NCL cruise was the Med. I must admit I was hooked after that. :D

I think the OP is suffering a case of poor planning. OP admits to cruising before, so I am surprised they didn't know about the 18% service charge. Carnival and most other lines adds this type of charge, so it is not exclusive to NCL.

Many people are quick to come back to CC to complain about their experiences and back up their complaints with the ever popular phrases 'I will never cruise NCL again' and 'NCL nickles and dimes you to death.' Why are they unable to come here beforehand to research or gain information PRIOR to their cruise?

Some people just cannot be satisfied.:(

Once again, I am being BBQ'd unfairly by you as well as some others for sharing my OPINIONS. I offerred my original post for INFORMATIONAL purposes - not to tell people what to do. Sure, I cannot be satisfied -that's why I cruise over and over again, obviously! Did you miss the GOOD points I made sure to mention? Poor planning - over a years' worth. And again, since I did not know EVERY SINGLE THING abotu EVERY charge, I am condemmed as a poor planner. YOUR opinion - which you are certainly entitled to.

Considering we "Norweenies" have yet to cruise aboard the Jade, I will accept your review for what it is - your opinion - and thank you for your feedback.

From our personal standpoint, the key categories we expect high marks on when cruising are: Accommodations, Food, Entertainment, Service and Itinerary. Everything else is "gravy" and completely optional for filling in your "doing whatever" activities. Using your rating system, that would mean "20 Cruise Ships" in total for a fantastic cruise, when concentrating on those key areas. Since I don't really see anything about the itinerary, I believe your overall rating of the cruise falls short at 11.5. Since noro can be avoided by simply washing hands often - especially before eating - I'll tack on 4 Cruise Ships for the itinerary, bringing it to 15.5. Doesn't seem too bad to me! :D

Service/gratuities tacked onto non-inclusive services - bar bills & spa services included - is to be expected. Additional tipping is not required in any instance and we only do so when we feel we've received especially great service. I do not feel that any fees aboard the ship are hidden in any way. So if you were charged higher than expected for spa services, then all I have to say is I'm sorry you didn't understand what the fees would be and when.

If you walked away from your meal at Teppanyaki without bringing the lobster issue to your wait staff or dining room manager's attention (or the Chef for that matter), how would you expect anyone to validate your claim and do something about it at the time? Otherwise, NCL extended an apology for your disappoint in the form of a fruit plate and bottle of wine. That to me speaks volumes.

Charging for shuffleboard? That one caught my eye. I find that hard to believe!

Thanks for your comments. We did wash our hands and use the sanitizers offerered all over the ship obsessively - I do not blame NCL for us getting sick. And yes, there is a $2 charge for the shuffleboard table in the Spinnaker Lounge - but not the floor one on deck 7, outside.

Again, in MY OPIONION, I would have preferred to have the restaraunt service charge refunded for what I considered a poor meal - $50 is a lot of money - and I would have promptly spent it back at another restaraunt. MY OPIONION, no anyone else's.

The point someone else already tried to make is that neither spas - the ones on Carnival or NCL are run by the cruise lines. It's very easy to go to a chain store run by different managers and get different service, and that is what happened to you. Your issue with the spa isn't a Carnival or NCL thing. Even though the manager on board the Carnival ship did a better job of satisfying you, I think both spas may be run by the same company (and the name excapes me at the moment).

Steiner

The 18% surcharge was NOT a gratuity - I asked the spa manager that question. It was a surcharge for the ship - gratuity was additional.

Simply untrue. The 18% is not a surcharge for the ship; it IS the gratuity. From NCL's web site FAQ:

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

We have been on 25 plus cruises, ten on NCL, the others spread across the other mass market lines. ALL of them have turned into money making machines for the line while at the same time the base price of the fare has gone down. NCL had a great deal with the freestyle plan but they added surcharges to too many of the restruants. The quality of the food has gone down but I feel that can be said for all the lines. These days I look at a cruise ship as a floating hotel that supplies the basics with the fare while takeing you to lots of great places. As a side note I think the spa is a rip off on all lines.

Thanks, I think you gave a pretty balanced review, but your lead statements were a little sensationalized! Many people will cruise without using the spa or going to specialty restaurants, and enjoy the excellent base prices and minimal service charges from NCL. I overall disagree with is the "nickel & diming" compared to other lines. NCL has some of the cheapest fares around, and if you add total cost of different cruise lines for the same cruise and same services, they'll be about equal.

However, I agree that the spa whirlpool, etc. should be free for the day for anyone with a spa or salon service scheduled that day. I have issues with Mandara and wish NCL would discontinue their contract.

I would be royally p.o.'d if my lobster I paid for was shared with others. I don't really have an opinion one way or another on pricing extra for lobster. Without looking at their bottom line at the specialty restaurants, it's hard to tell if that's reasonable. And I agree that the resolution was weak. NCL needs to stop trying to make things right by offering a fruit basket and bottle of wine (I'd love the wine, but understand not everyone drinks!). They should've comped your meal entirely (I'm guessing you'd have been happy with that). If their restaurants claim to be like "fine dining" on land, it's what almost all high end restaurants would do.

Well said.

It's not that we're attacking the OP for their opinion, well at least most of us don't, it's just that, as you could see in a post after the OP's, a person who hasn't yet sailed NCL is going to use the OP's information (wrong information) as a deciding point on whether or not to book an NCL cruise. If that person doesn't come back here to read the rest of the thread, they have been misguided.

Doesn't that make sense to you people who condemn us who are just trying to set the record straight?

Here's an example: Say someone has just got back from shopping at WalMart. They are ticked off and start a thread titled "Before going to WalMart, read this first" at some popular shopping website. In that thread they state that there were no shopping carts and they had to carry all their items themselves. They didn't see the shopping carts as they came in the building. Then they add there are no restrooms available to the public, when in reality, the restroom's were closed off to be cleaned.

So Joe Schmoe comes along and reads this incorrect information and decides, because of the thread, to not shop at WalMart.

Check the facts before you post. It's the responsible thing to do.

The only 18% "service charge" on NCL is for the Spa. In the OP's defense, they should let the patron decide on the tip, or use the word "gratuity" instead of "Service Charge."

It is my understanding that, untrue of the surcharge for specialty dining, the 15% gratuity for drinks and the 18% gratuity for spa services CAN be adjusted.

I read a post where the surcharge for specialty restaurants IS the tip. It was written on their bill.

People certainly have the right to post anything they want, mod's willing, right or wrong. The same goes for those who disagree with their post. :)

I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with anyone's post, my issue is with people who verbally attack other posters, or are verbally abusive and don't even address the substance of the post they supposedly disagree with. The offending post no longer exists.

Many people did not agree with the OP and were able to express that without being nasty or making her feel as though she was being attacked.

I admire and respect the fact that she had the chutzpah to come back and defend her review, even if I don't agree with her point of view on 100% of the topics she discussed.

I like NCL and will likely cruise their ships again, it may not be everyone else's cup of tea, that's OK.

Archived