Thinking of booking on NCL? Read this first!

Lori Dobson

I'm sure there are...I just don't see them posting on this thread. If you look at the cruise histories of those who include them, almost everyone who has commented has cruised on more than NCL. I don't list my cruise history, but I've been on more than 6 different cruise lines and over 30 cruises .

sorry, many of us who chooe NCL have cruised just as many lines and as many times as you have, it is still a matter or preferance. What one thinks is important may not mean anything to someone else and visa versa...

there is no perfect cruise line and no line that is right for everyone. I have clients that have cruised all mass marketed lines and will only cruise NCL, I have other clients that will not even think of NCL. it is a personal choice.

Nita

OK, here is my second big problem with Norwegian. We went to the popular Teppanaki Restaurant – which is an extra $25 per person surcharge (tip not included). Having been at this type of restaurant before, I was VERY disappointed with this one– although the “show” was excellent, the food was mediocre at best – and what was worse – I ordered the lobster, scallop and calamari combination – I got a half of a very small lobster tail and it was chopped up and cooked along with the rest of the table’s shrimp – so I only got ONE small piece of the lobster that was supposed to be my dinner!!

Again, in MY OPIONION, I would have preferred to have the restaraunt service charge refunded for what I considered a poor meal - $50 is a lot of money - and I would have promptly spent it back at another restaraunt. MY OPIONION, no anyone else's.

Yes, $25/pp certainly warrants a good meal; all very subjective depending upon who reviews the food. I personally enjoyed our food at Teppanyaki, so I guess we're at a stalemate there.

However, my point is that the lobster issue could have been rectified. During our last seating in Teppanyaki, one person's lobster was completely missed. It was simply pointed out and immediately another lobster was on the grill. Not a problem! Regardless of a refund being your preference, such does not warrant refunding the specialty restaurant's surcharge.

I never said I was FORCED to do anything. The 18% surcharge was NOT a gratuity - I asked the spa manager that question. It was a surcharge for the ship - gratuity was additional. If you completely read the post, I did say I had a similar spa issue (missing some parts of the service) on Carnival and they made me very happy with the resolution. It is unfair to say that ""nothing could have made me happy". Once again, as I stated in the begininng, all of the statments are my opinion and I offed them as such - I do not expect anyoen to agree with me. Everyone is different and has different expectations.

Lori, just a couple of comments. I do think you gave NCL credit where credit was due and that is important, but I don't care what the spa manager told you: it is like in many countries, you can call it a service charge, but of course it is a tip...Uk does this some places, the Bahamas have the same policy and have for about 30 years, etc. Obviously the manager was hoping to get you to add more which should not have been..She was wrong to tell you that...

As for the dining experience, I don't like the habachi table, I happen to agree, I am not impressed, but again, you did not need to tip on top of the charges if you didn't want to. It is too bad you didn't try one of the other sur charge restaurants, some are really good and worth every penny. I don't think you should have expected a refund on the $50 you paid though.

I don't think I would let your experience keep you from cruising NCL again as you seem to basically like the ships and most of your experience.

Anyway, I am glad you got to cruise in Europe, better luck on your next cruise.

Nita

Despite the flaming you have gotten, OP you are "right on" with your review of the Jade. DH and I did this cruise last December (we have also sailed on the Dawn and the Spirit). The itinerary was FANTASTIC and the price could not have been better - to NCL's credit they really organized the shore excursions very well on this sailing. However that being said the food was sub par at best (the buffet had the best food at least on this trip) - the ship was immaculate but still there was a viral thing after our stop in Egypt (goes with the territory, I guess). Even though the ship was clean and fairly new - I found it to be sort of "cold" and you couldn't find a comfortable place to sit and read. I would certainly consider NCL again but only if the price was very low and the ports were of interest. I much prefer Princess and HAL.

LOL - Lori didn't you know this board was run by NCL employees? I know exactly what you are talking about. We did NCL and it was one and done. Never again. We just booked a 7 day western caribbean cruise and it isn't on NCL. Ok bashers go for it. Tear my post apart. (I could care less if you don't like my post.) What happens everytime someone posts a bad review here, the NCL employees tear the review apart line by line. They make it ugly and then the thread gets removed. That's why you see only a small portion of the negative things posted about NCL on here.........

That could be because of the placement.

There is an area on Cruise Critics for posting reviews. If you post your review in the review section, nobody can "reply" to it and "tear it apart line by line". Also, it will stay up and not get removed because of other thread posts.

HOWEVER...if you want to post the review in the DISCUSSION portion of the site, then you can expect that it will be DISCUSSED by people who agree and by people who disagree with the review.

I would suggest that if someone wants to post a review without starting a discussion that they post the review in the review section where it won't be discussed.

How simple is that?

Planer's Edge

thanks for your patience...

Took me a minute to get you the information you requested:

In 2001 the remaining 60 percent of shares of Mandara Spa was sold to Steiner Leisure Limited, a Nasdaq-listed company (STNR). In December 2002 Steiner became the sole proprietor of Mandara Spa after acquiring the 40 percent equity interests from Shiseido, which seems to be when the first Mandara Spa appeared on the Dawn, also in December 2002.

I seem to have struck a nerve with the OP :confused:

You keep replying stating that this is 'YOUR OPINION.'

Well, here's MY OPINION - the problems you encountered (aside from the Lobster thing) could have been avoided with a little research. You obviously know about CC, so you could have checked here prior to your cruise. Most, if not all spas, aboard cruise ships add some of autotip, service charge (whatever they want to call it.) For someone that has cruised several times, this should not be a foreign concept. NCL is quite upfront about this charge, as well as charges for specialty gym classes, drinks etc.

Again, MY OPINION, it sounds like the spa and restaurant offered a reasonable compensation for what happened. Perhaps you were expected a refund or free service as compensation, and disappointed that this was not received.

Now, this is a lesson learned for you. A little research prior to your cruise can save you a lot of time and frustration. :)

I seem to have struck a nerve with the OP :confused:

You keep replying stating that this is 'YOUR OPINION.'

Well, here's MY OPINION - the problems you encountered (aside from the Lobster thing) could have been avoided with a little research. You obviously know about CC, so you could have checked here prior to your cruise. Most, if not all spas, aboard cruise ships add some of autotip, service charge (whatever they want to call it.) For someone that has cruised several times, this should not be a foreign concept. NCL is quite upfront about this charge, as well as charges for specialty gym classes, drinks etc.

Again, MY OPINION, it sounds like the spa and restaurant offered a reasonable compensation for what happened. Perhaps you were expected a refund or free service as compensation, and disappointed that this was not received.

Now, this is a lesson learned for you. A little research prior to your cruise can save you a lot of time and frustration. :)

MY OPINION is that YOUR OPINION is biased.

MY OPINION is that YOUR OPINION is biased.

Thus the definition of opinion:

An opinion is a belief that cannot be proved with evidence. It is a subjective statement and may be the result of an emotion or an interpretation of facts; people may draw opposing opinions from the same facts.

Duh!!

PE

I did the 12-day Egypt and Greek Isles cruise on the Norwegian Jewel in 2007 and she's a sister to the Jade (actually the first sister in her named class). The issues encountered by the OP are purely their opinion. Nothing to get too worked up over. All cruise lines are going towards nickel and diming when you get onboard. You either choose to indulge in it or you choose not too! I tend to choose not to because I love to cruise frequently. I've found the specialty restaurants I like and realize my spa in downtown is cheaper than NCLs.

Where I am going to completely disagree wtih the OP is the comparison to Carnival... I've sailed on MANY different cruise lines (less HAL for major US mass market lines) and I have to say that CARNIVAL was the WORST by far for EVERYTHING - EXCEPT FOOD! :eek: I have never seen a run down ship before at sea (this was prior to her dry dock which was sorely needed) and a bunch of couldn't care less staff in my life!

Norwegian bends over backwards and goes out of their way to make the experience right for what they can control. The HD did that for the OP. The HD on the Spirit cruise I last went on in May did a SPLENDID job and went out of his way to make sure CC'ers especially were happy. Happy? I WAS ELATED by the experience! I couldn't give Frank Wisenhenkel MORE props for a job WELL DONE! In this instance the HD on the Jade tried to do that as well. I just don't get that specific rant. Again this is my opinion, flame me if you'd like but they did try to right the wrong that was brought to their attention. The HD can't be a mind reader to know whether you like wine or not. I think it's unfair to ding the cruise line as a whole when they did try to rectify it. See it as a good gesture and be humble. You make it sound like it ruined your vacation.

OP: Hopefully you have better luck on your next cruise and bon voyage!

To the poster inquiring about the Egypt overnight excursion:

It's the best bang for the buck! You stay at a nice FIVE STAR hotel and you are constantly on the go to see as much as you can. You arrive into Cairo and go to the archeaological (sp?) museum and get a fast tour around the place by the guide and then it's off to lunch where you check into the hotel and have some free time to roam around or catch your Z's because you're going to be up REAL late! You go back out for the sound and light show at the pyramids and then you head back to Cairo center to board a Nile river cruise and get your dinner onboard whilst being entertained by a belly dancer and by various musicians playing area instruments. It's a nice touch. Back to the hotel for about 6 hours of sleep and then it's up for breakfast at the hotel and then off to the step pyramid, another smaller museum with Ramses's statues as well as some others and then it's off to the main pyramids (which you saw the night before). You have the option of riding on a camel OR going into the second pyramid. Mom chose the camel and I chose to go into the second pyramid. The interior of the pyramid is not very exciting but to say you've been inside one is just a good bragging right. There is no sarcophagus, long since put into a museum. However, the burial chamber is intact. Be aware that it is a small entry way and you will be hunched over to get into. I think the cost was $10 American but don't hold me to that. After that you are off to a hotel nearby for yet another lunch before you are returning back to the ship. The drive on the desert road takes 3 hours each way. Somewhere in there you will stop at a papyrus paper making plant and have the opportunity to buy it as well. Onboard the bus the tour guide will surely try to sell you something with a cartoosh on it (again spelling). By the time you re-board the vessel you will have your merchandise. Usually it's at the papyrus paper stop but if it's not there by then it'll be sent on the return trip back by another motorist who pulls up beside the bus. Neat process... hope you definitely pick the overnight excursion. It's a REAL value and if you have an issue NCL waits for you. Going alone is not wise because there were break downs on the desert road and there's no one there to help you for MILES! :eek:

Well, opinion is one thing. It's another to make an inflammatory post title, then say that you had problems that NOTHING ( OP's capitals, not mine ) was done about, when obviously both main instances were met with some kind of compensation, albeit not what the OP felt was appropriate.

The fact that the Spa is expensive and a hit or miss experience and that the Teppanyaki chef blew it on the lobster hardly seems worthy of a call out to "Read this first!" prior to booking with NCL...

That doesn't make the OP's experience or opinions not valuable or invalid... Just poorly framed... in... my... opinion...

The OP lost my respect when she didn't take care of the lobster situation at the time it happened then named it as one of her main beefs.

We loved the Jade and our 14 day cruise. We've been on nearly all the other cruise lines and that particular cruise might have been our favorite. I had a massage in the spa and won't ever do one again, probably on ANY cruise line. I'm not blaming NCL and Jade though.

It did make me defensive when I saw the title of the original post...I have to admit. I'd hate to see anyone change their cruising plans because of this one cruisers unhappiness. Lots of us have been happy on Jade!:D

As others have said, the title just started things off on a bad taste.

When someone wants to provide a review, good or bad, it is usually welcomed. The title seemed to be saying

Are you thinking of booking with NCL - Be warned! Read this before you do anything else! Now!

Not exactly what the OP said, but it sure read like that.

And, once I read through it, the two issues were not reasons to skip cruising with NCL. Just an opinion that you should think twice about the SPA and maybe getting lobster.

sorry, many of us who chooe NCL have cruised just as many lines and as many times as you have, it is still a matter or preferance. What one thinks is important may not mean anything to someone else and visa versa...

there is no perfect cruise line and no line that is right for everyone. I have clients that have cruised all mass marketed lines and will only cruise NCL, I have other clients that will not even think of NCL. it is a personal choice.

Nita

What are you trying to say? I was responding to a post that made a ludicrous implication that the OP better have a thick skin because the responders on this thread cruise only on NCL. Your response disagreeing with me makes no sense because we're really on the same side of the issue.

thanks for your comments. We did a day tour with a guide that a friend had recommended - Excellent and very inexpensive, $180 PP for a 12 hour tour. Many people took overnight tours and they said they wish thhey hadn't - if you want our guide's info, just let me know.

Lori

We are on this same sailing next year and have planned the overnight in Egypt. I am curious what complaints your shipmates had with their overnight tour and what tour operator they used. I ask because there are only a handful of tour operators that CC members recommend, and they typically receive raving reviews.

That could be because of the placement.

There is an area on Cruise Critics for posting reviews. If you post your review in the review section, nobody can "reply" to it and "tear it apart line by line". Also, it will stay up and not get removed because of other thread posts.

HOWEVER...if you want to post the review in the DISCUSSION portion of the site, then you can expect that it will be DISCUSSED by people who agree and by people who disagree with the review.

I would suggest that if someone wants to post a review without starting a discussion that they post the review in the review section where it won't be discussed.

How simple is that?

I expect any review by ANY PERSON that is posted ANYWHERE to be responded to with consideration and class. One can disagree without degrading, humiliating and bashing the poster.....that is not something one should expect if they put their review here instead of the review board, but it sure is something that happens here...over and over and over. We are adults who should know how to have a rational mature discussion minus the "snide remarks" that so often happen. Simple as that! JMO

Barb' date=' The Jade has a "Shuffleboard" table in Spinnaker. It is sort of like shuffleboard except it is on a maple table about waste high.[/color']

PE

Are you referring to a shuffleboard table with steel shuffles and a shaker can of wax? Haven't seen one of those in a LONG time.

I thought the thread title was on the shaky side of legitimate and had no problem with the text.

I am taking this same cruise in a few weeks time, and flying all the way from Australia to do it, so I was alarmed when I saw the title of your post. When I read your actual review of the cruise there were a number of positive comments made and a few minor negatives (well, they were minor to me).

I just don't understand the need for such a strong warning about booking NCL? If you looked back and concentrated on the positives of your holiday, and I'm sure there were many, and also noted any negatives, I think your post would've been received very differently.

There is a vast difference between a balanced review stating the perceived positives and negatives of a trip, and a post that resorts to using scare tactics :eek:. That's why your post was met with some, ummm, discussion ;).

It's all so easy in hindsight... but when you look back at your cruise do you honestly feel that people should not book on NCL because your lobster was mixed in with some prawns? You were compensated appropriately... you ate a full meal so there was no need to give a full refund (in my opinion).

The Spa is another matter, it's nothing to do with NCL, and you misread the prices before you booked. That's not their fault. You were offered compensation for the portion of the treatment that was missed. All seems fair. The Spas are always overpriced... that's why I've never been to one on a ship :).

The OP lost my respect when she didn't take care of the lobster situation at the time it happened then named it as one of her main beefs.

We loved the Jade and our 14 day cruise. We've been on nearly all the other cruise lines and that particular cruise might have been our favorite. I had a massage in the spa and won't ever do one again, probably on ANY cruise line. I'm not blaming NCL and Jade though.

It did make me defensive when I saw the title of the original post...I have to admit. I'd hate to see anyone change their cruising plans because of this one cruisers unhappiness. Lots of us have been happy on Jade!:D

I agree completely about the lobster. Teppanyaki is one of our favourite restaurants on board (the other being Cagney's), and I always order 'extra' scallops with my steak and shrimp combination (they really should have a three-way combo on that!), and I am always accommodated with a smile. I have never ordered the lobster, because it's just not a favourite of mine, but I have been at tables where others did, and it was never shared. This was clearly an error on the part of the chef, and based on my past experiences, I am 100% certain that had it been pointed out at the time - while the grill was still hot - another tail would have been cooked to replace it.

As for the spa, I've been to them on NCL and they are ridiculously expensive. I knew that going in. I also knew which treatments were priced for port days because they're announced on separate flyers, not in the main spa menu. Do I think they go out of their way to be clear so that nobody makes the mistake the OP did? Nope. Do I think they are unaware of the 'tip' line on the receipt and have no intention of letting people 'overtip' by accident, as the OP did? Nope. Quite the opposite, I believe the spas (who are private contractors, not NCL) are there to get as much money out of the passengers as they can for as little as they have to give. Wow... sound almost unscrupulous when I put it like that - but again, I've used their services. Why would I do such a thing? Because I made an informed choice that the service I purchased was worth the price to me.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, because I'm pretty sure I've read most of the drivel before - people being accused of bashing, being cheerleaders, attacking, etc. Bleh. I read the OP's review, and I've now posted my experience/opinion on the two things she seems to think should keep people from booking NCL. While I do agree with her sentiment that forewarned is forearmed, I disagree that these two experiences should keep anyone from booking NCL. Her descriptions are good warnings that are well worth heeding, however. First, when you're in ANY restaurant and your meal isn't what you were expecting, you should address it AT THE TIME, and second, the spas on cruise ships are overpriced and will take every penny you willingly give them, so read carefully and choose wisely. :)

I never said anything was forced on me. I jsut expected a bit better value for my money. Again, MY OPINION>

Happy cruising to you also.

But that is free enterprise. Sellers set a price, if it is too high people won't buy. But there's obviously enough people to patronize the spa at their prices, which you think is too high. I must admit, I want to be pampered on vacation, so I pay it. Sometimes I look for a deal, sometimes I just go for it.

Lori, thanks for coming back and posting again.

Oh, and BTW, when I was on the Sun and in Teppenyaki the chef told me that even when I did not want the other seafood, only lobster, that the portion would NOT be double lobster. I really appreciated that he told me up front so I could reconsider if I wished. He did cook my lobster separately. I would have been upset if he'd mixed it with other people's food and I got less than I expected.

Again, happy cruising.

Not a huge poster on CC, but read so many of the posts and threads its not even funny. Its how I get ready for a cruise, and I spend alot of time on the road. Been on CC with Carnival, RCCL & HAL. Am now into the NCL threads due to taking the Jade next November. That being said, I have never, ever come across a group of CC'ers that are more 'blood thirsty' if you will than the NCL group. Its simply uncalled for people! Makes me wonder how many are directly affiliated with NCL. Take the good points of the original post along with the bad for what they are, one person's view. No need to go ape s*** and beat someone up for posting.

Archived