Be Alert in Papeete for Your Own Safety!

Cruisin' Cacky

Yes, Tahiti is a paradise, but you still have to be aware of your surroundings. Papeete is a city that has problems just like any other except it is surrounded by beautiful scenery. I am sharing this experience so hopefully none of you will have a similar one. :(

I just returned from my second Princess cruise of French Polynesia. Overall it was a wonderful experience, but the trip did not start off too well. Our group (six of us) arrived in Papeete the night prior to boarding the ship. We stayed at the Sofitel Maeva Beach hotel. The next morning a friend (another woman) and I walked over to the nearby shopping center (less than half a mile). On the way back to the hotel I heard the footsteps of someone running up behind us. I turned just as a young Tahitian man attempted to grab my travel wallet. My turning prevented him from getting it, but he did succeed in knocking me to the ground. He then turned and sped away. Luckily I did not lose my wallet and suffered only minor injuries. This all happened around 10:30 in the morning on the frontage road along a busy street! Not at night, not down some back alley.

I won't go into detail about the lack of offers of help from the Sofitel front desk, but the staff onboard the Pacific Princess (which we boarded around noon that day) jumped through hoops to make sure I was healthy and happy. I cannot say enough good things about Rinaldo, Melissa and Paula at the reception desk. Their concern about about my well being lasted throughout the entire cruise.

One thing I learned is that I will now keep a list of my credit card 800 numbers, the last four digits of my cards, and my passport number safely tucked away in my suitcases. I would have been in deep doo doo had he snagged my wallet.

So, the moral of this story is stay alert, be aware of your surroundings, and don't wander around Papeete on your own if you are a woman (or even just two ladies together). I know I never thought I'd get mugged in paradise!

Cacky

I do not feel as safe on the Island of Tahiti as the rest of the islands which is why I try to minimize my time on that particular island. I always tell people that Tahiti is not really that nice, but the rest of the F.P. is my favorite place especially Bora Bora and Moorea. IMO the best part of Papeete is the view of Moorea.

What you encountered is no different than in any city in North America or around the world.

There is crime all over the world, and as someone will try and grab your wallet/purse in Central Park in New York, on the Riverwalk in Ft Lauderdale, on Pier 39 in San Francisco, in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

What happened to you is wrong ... granted that, but to make out that Papeete is a crime haven is a falsehood as it's no different than any other urban centre.

Ciao for now!!!

Cacky, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and thank you for reminding everyone that we need not let our guard down no matter where we go. I also think it is a good idea to keep all your information in a separate location, as you suggested. I do keep copies of my passports in a separate bag, but I have not put together that list of CC phone numbers that I've been meaning to. One thing to note is that the 800 numbers usually don't work from foreign countries. Most CC companies have a regular number you can call collect from another country. You need to call and get that number from them in advance.

Captainron, I don't see where Cacky made it sound like Papeete is a "crime haven". She even mentioned that this can happen anywhere.

Thanks for the words of support Charlene!

No Ron, I wasn't trying to make Papeete out to be a "crime haven". My intent was to remind people, as you yourself said, crime can happen anywhere. I also happen to think that a woman wandering about is an easier target than a man on his own. In this case, we were two women out and about. It really took me by surprise that this fellow was desperate enough to try his luck with two of us mid-morning on a busy street.

Cacky

• 2 weeks later...

We've always been careful in Papeete and have never had problems, but are very aware that it is a city with problems. The culture has problems, let's face it. The further you get away from the centers of tourist activity (Papeete, Bora Bora), the nicer and more honest everybody is.

• 1 month later...

I had an expensive dive watch stolen from my wrist in Tahiti.It had a very secure clasp on it so whoever took it was very skilled.I feel that it was my own fault. I like jewelry,but I have recognized it is not a good idea to wear anything of value in ports.I happen to like Tahiti.We have gone on 2 Princess crruises out of the port,and having found some excellent shallow snorkeling at the Intercontinental hotel,we have always stayed there a .couple of days.They have great(although expensive) food and the staff are very nice.They have a le Truck stop right in front so you can go to a market to pick up staples for the room-or go to dinner in town. We took a wonderful tour of the island .When you get away from Papeete,the island is very beautifulThe more we travel,the more I learn to be cautious about myself,my security and my posessions. Note that I said cautious,not afraid.In many port cities,petty thievery is a sport .

Archived