Cigarettes onboard - anyone back recently

Madkitty

We just got back from the Majesty of the Seas, you can get 5 cartons for 95.00, they are all in one giant pack. So about 20 bucks per carton. It's a sweet deal for sure, saw lots of people getting them!!

how many cartons are you allowed to take off the ship without a charge? Is it one per person? That is a great deal. We always have to pick some up for my MIL.

The allowance is 100 cigarettes ( 1 carton) per person, unless stopping at the USVI were the allowance is 5 cartons per person.

There was some concern, a couple of months ago, where a couple of ships only had Marlboro.

I was on the Monarch 2 weeks ago and they had in their inventory: Marlboro, Camels, Newport, Benson & Hedges, American Spirit and 1 or 2 others.

The cost on the ship was 2 cartons for $44.90.

If you buy cigarettes, I would avoid buying them in Mexico. We watched the couple in front of us get all their cigarettes confiscated by US customs because they were "for export only". The Mexican vendors had taken the labels off but customs knew.

Be safe and buy them on the ship.

First week of Nov. I bought the 5-carton pack of Marlboro Lights onboard for a total of $99. (On Long Island it's $75 A CARTON.)

Being that you're allowed to take one carton of duty free off the ship, I wrote on my customs form that I had "cigarettes" and the value was $80. The customs guy looked at it and put the sheet down and said, "Welcome home."

That was the first time I'd ever done that and figured the worst that would happen is I'd have to pay a small amount of additional taxes, which would still be worth the cost.

Any smokers back recently that can confirm the cost of ciggies onboard?

Hi,

There were no 'English' ciggys on board Navigator last week. Letter sent round apologising. The perfume shop also had 3 empty shelves where the Estee Lauder products should have been. Un-believable but true!

That was the first time I'd ever done that and figured the worst that would happen is I'd have to pay a small amount of additional taxes, which would still be worth the cost.

Actually with that particular item the merchandise is confiscated and destroyed if they decide to enforce the rules. There is no "pay the duty" option on cigarettes as far as I know.

The allowance is 100 cigarettes ( 1 carton) per person, unless stopping at the USVI were the allowance is 5 cartons per person.

We we are going to st thomas so I guess we can each take 5 cartons. I never knew that. Now I wont have to put some in my parents luggage. and DH and I can get 2 of those 5 carton boxes for my MIL. good news cant wait to tell her. Just to clarify....the cartons don't have to be bought on the island do they? I mean we can purchase them on the ship and still do the 5 cartons each?

Actually with that particular item the merchandise is confiscated and destroyed if they decide to enforce the rules. There is no "pay the duty" option on cigarettes as far as I know.

Thanks for letting me know. People I met on board said they once brought back a lot of liquor and were stopped and just asked to pay the taxes, so that's what I assumed.

I'm not sure how they would've confiscated my cigs, because my luggage (via the luggage valet program) was on its way to MIA already...

We we are going to st thomas so I guess we can each take 5 cartons. I never knew that. Now I wont have to put some in my parents luggage. and DH and I can get 2 of those 5 carton boxes for my MIL. good news cant wait to tell her. Just to clarify....the cartons don't have to be bought on the island do they? I mean we can purchase them on the ship and still do the 5 cartons each?

If you are going to St. Thomas you are allowed to bring back 5 cartons each...IF AT LEAST 4 OF THEM ARE PURCHASED IN ST. THOMAS!

Be on the safe side and just buy them at the shop near the pier....Dynasty sells them for $99 for 5 cartons.

When we make out our customs form we just put cigs all purchased in St. Thomas....have never had a problem.

I did some research before my August Freedom cruise.

The 5 carton per person limit applies only to purchases made on the USVI, not on the docked ship. ( 1 can be on ship but other 4 must be USVI)

The people on the Freedom were of little help and insisted that the limit was 1 carton

per person, regardless of where purchased.

I bought my limit on St.Thomas but when we got to St.Maarten, they were a little cheaper

and I was told that I could also buy the 5 carton limit there. ( not so- not a USVI)

I have made 6 Monarch and 1 Freedom cruises this year and always bought cigarettes for friends.

I think that if you are on a ship that stops at St.Thomas, you are probably OK, no matter where you bought the cigs. Customs has more to worry about, than where your purchase was made.

I always follow the legal limit. Having said that I have never been questioned or had my luggage searched.

One further note. The man in the liquor shop on the Monarch told me that it is not unusual

for people to try and return over the limit cartons, because they were told that the excess would be confiscated.

Since everyone in my family that I cruise with are non smokers, they will pack a carton of cigarettes that I bought into each of their suitcases.

I don't drink (except for Maragarita's when cruising), so I re-pay the favor by offering to pack a bottle of of alcohol for one of them in my suitcase, so they can bring back an extra bottle. It's usually a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka I end up with in my suitcase.

Did this on Independence last April.

Just buy them in St Thomas and be sure to keep the receipt. I bought 10 cartons there ( 2 Adults) and declared 2000 Cigs on the customs form. When the form was checked by customs in Ft Lauderdale he said quite loudly " YOU HAVE 2000 CIGS" I said yes bought in St Thomas. Receipt was in hand just in case. He looked over rest of form and sent us on our way.

As long as you get them in St Thomas you will be fine it is allowed by law.

If you are going to St. Thomas you are allowed to bring back 5 cartons each...IF AT LEAST 4 OF THEM ARE PURCHASED IN ST. THOMAS!

Be on the safe side and just buy them at the shop near the pier....Dynasty sells them for $99 for 5 cartons.

When we make out our customs form we just put cigs all purchased in St. Thomas....have never had a problem.

are the ones from Dynasty American cigs? I remember checking differents places and many of them were NOT from the US. My MIL once had her Marlboros that tasted funny, when we checked the carton they were made in Russia. Lots of them on different islands are not from US and don't taste the same. BUT if the ones from Dynasty are US made then all is ok! AND I will definately keep my receipt. Last cruise we did buy the 5 pack on ship. We put 2 in our carry on 2 in another checked luggage and 1 in our garment bag. nobody said anything? What if someone in our party is under 18 can we still take a carton for him?

are the ones from Dynasty American cigs? I remember checking differents places and many of them were NOT from the US. My MIL once had her Marlboros that tasted funny, when we checked the carton they were made in Russia. Lots of them on different islands are not from US and don't taste the same. BUT if the ones from Dynasty are US made then all is ok! AND I will definately keep my receipt. Last cruise we did buy the 5 pack on ship. We put 2 in our carry on 2 in another checked luggage and 1 in our garment bag. nobody said anything? What if someone in our party is under 18 can we still take a carton for him?

Yes, they are made in the U.S.A.....I just checked the carton, Marlboro's, to make sure...:) I bought them a few weeks ago at Dynasty.

Legal age for cigs is 18 or older.

I'm not sure how you get around this but some of the cigarettes I bought in St.Thomas,

"tasted funny" to the people that I gave them to.

They checked with the manufacturer, using the product code and they were told that the cigs were 4 years old.

I don't know what the recommended shelf life is.

Does anyone know what brands are sold in St. Thomas and on the ship? A friend had me look in April and several shop owners said they no longer carried their brand. I am pretty certain I will be asked to pick up Salems and Benson & Hedges this time?

Archived