Our First Seadream Cruise!

artlee

What a great night in the harbor of St Barts. Dinner under the stars after cocktails under the stars. How good is that? Dinner was potato/leek soup (It's a tough life and somehow we must make it through another 6 days. We off to breakfast and then a trip ashore, our first.

dinner under the stars AND potato leek soup.

thank you so much ARTLEE -- your daily postings are wonderful.

FT

dinner under the stars AND potato leek soup.

thank you so much ARTLEE -- your daily postings are wonderful.

FT

FT! You have 5 more days! Holy crap! :eek::)

Can you hear the champagne calling you??? :D

ART - your detailed, daily onboard posting is putting my blog to shame. :)

Ok, my mind is officially mush right now. What day is toady, where am I. All I know are that my requirements are for the day are to go down a deck, turn right, walk a few feat and plop down at the pool. Ask one of the wonderful men assembled to get me an umbrella and order a drink or two, or... Take out my kindle. Go in the pool. Repeat previous two over and over. Of course there will be pre-lunch sandwich halves to tide me over until lunch.

Gusatavia was fun yesterday although we didn't stay on land long -- it was very hot and there was nobody there to bring me free drinks, umbrellas, and snacks. A serious flaw in their tourist business, IMHO. Breakfast was good although I found my first negative. I don't like the hash browns -- a hockey puck of blah. Isn't that terrible?? I think I will protest. Of course the eggs, sausage, fruits, cheeses, cold cuts, etc. were all great!

Suzanne is ready for breakfast so I will continue later when I need to cool down. Best to all.

Still no cell service.

Hi Artlee:

Here it is cold and raining. Been that way since we left our ship. Odd about no cell service as the week before, on much the same route, we had almost continual cell service. (Not that that is necessarily a good thing). Almost wanted to leave it on airplane mode but had to check in. Enjoy and keep those cards and letters coming. Even us recently deprived look to those onboard. :D

Hi Artlee:

Odd about no cell service as the week before, on much the same route, we had almost continual cell service. (Not that that is necessarily a good thing). Almost wanted to leave it on airplane mode but had to check in.

I think this is a service provider issue. We have Sprint and the only time in the Caribbean on SeaDreamthat we get service is when we are in the USVI. Others with different providers (ATT, for example) seem to have service throughout the week.

DisneyJen, we are in Montserret, sorry.

Yesterday after spending the morning in Gustavia we returned for lunch with Bill and Lori. As always, lots of laughs. They are so much fun. Lori goes by Miss Pumpkin but is a lurker. I think we need a ground swell of demand for her report. (She will kill me.) After lunch a tough day of sitting by the pool. It is great. It has not been crowded yet. Drinks flow and snacks are readily available. The four of us had a cheese platter a couple days ago to tide us over (like we needed to be tided over!). Lunch was a cheeseburger which was fine. I should have ordered some of the other good things I saw but I felt like something basic.

There was a cocktail hour before dinner around the pool and the night was very nice. The Captain is always around and always chatting with the passengers. Very impressed with that. Nothing like that on the mass market lines. Meredith gave us the scoop on Montserret. I like her. She really wants to please her guests.

Dinner for four with Bill and Lori. More laughs and good story telling. We have so much in common it is scary. I'm usually the type that likes to corner Suzanne and not have too much shared time, but this cruise is different with our new BFF's. For dinner I had Osso Bucco. Delicious. Suzanne had Salmon. Gabriel waited on us and made a special effort to dazzle the ladies. He was funny. They each were brought two desserts and we were instructed to stay away from them. After dinner a short visit to the Library for drinks and piano listening.

This morning we chose not to go ashore and instead visited the gym first thing. It is much better doing the treadmill here looking at a beautiful island rather than the news on my TV at home. Breakfast of omelette (a trend), bacon, fruits, et al. Now the tough job of re-doing yesterday without the shore trip.

Tough, but someone has to do it. Still thinking about the 15% but am a little disappointed that even with the 15% this cruise next December will cost us $1000 more. We shall see. It is so amazing we may have to do it anyway. Funny, I never would have considered a 5 day cruise as it just wouldn't have been enough to decompress. This is different though. We would be on our last day and I feel about the same in terms of "decompressing" as I did after last years 10 night cruise on Celebrity. I have always said that value is not only about price and Seadream certainly delivers value in spades.

Bye for now.

This morning we chose not to go ashore and instead visited the gym first thing. It is much better doing the treadmill here looking at a beautiful island rather than the news on my TV at home. . . . .

Tough, but someone has to do it. Still thinking about the 15% but am a little disappointed that even with the 15% this cruise next December will cost us $1000 more. We shall see. It is so amazing we may have to do it anyway. Funny, I never would have considered a 5 day cruise as it just wouldn't have been enough to decompress. This is different though. We would be on our last day and I feel about the same in terms of "decompressing" as I did after last years 10 night cruise on Celebrity. I have always said that value is not only about price and Seadream certainly delivers value in spades.

Bye for now.

Artlee,

you are so impressive. I didn't even know they had a gym on SD when in the Caribbean. Where is it located? I only see it on the crossings:rolleyes:

I swore never to do a 5 day on SD - just not enough time and here I am getting ready to my first 5 day - so go ahead and book that next one. It really helps cushion the withdrawal pains.

Again, thanks so much for the daily postings. glad you are enjoying - you are certainly helping us make it through another gloomy cold day here in NC :)

How's the soup? Have you had the pumpkin bisque? Or the ginger carrot? can't wait . . . and yes Cammiem, my never empty glass of champagne is getting louder and louder by the hour

FT

Artlee,

you are so impressive. I didn't even know they had a gym on SD when in the Caribbean. Where is it located? I only see it on the crossings:rolleyes:

I swore never to do a 5 day on SD - just not enough time and here I am getting ready to my first 5 day - so go ahead and book that next one. It really helps cushion the withdrawal pains.

Again, thanks so much for the daily postings. glad you are enjoying - you are certainly helping us make it through another gloomy cold day here in NC :)

How's the soup? Have you had the pumpkin bisque? Or the ginger carrot? can't wait . . . and yes Cammiem, my never empty glass of champagne is getting louder and louder by the hour

FT

I think the gym is that funny looking, smelly room next to the spa where they don't make you move at all.:D

We are on the move to Nevis, a short 3 hour sail. I ahve plenty of sun for now and have been sitting in the library reading my kindle. Earlier by the pool, there was three of us reading kindles all in a row. For readers not familiar with them, theya re great. Check them out on Amazon. I now there are others too, but I can't speak for them.

I was wondering if I am only talking about eating, because that is all I am doing besides just chilling. Sorry if my reports have been to much about that. As I have said, we aren't getting off much so you get what you get, lol.

I have not had the pumpkin soup yet. Today was garlic, and it didn't sound appealing. Shrimps were however. As was the weinersnitzel. We got an invite to join Captain T's dinner table this evening. He really is a gracious host.

Back to he soups, sorry, I bought the cook book last night. It will be sign ed by our great chef and I assum will find it's way to our cabin. I like to cook, and am hopeful that some of those soup recipes are in there. Suzanne got a baseball cap naming her as a member of SeaDream Splash Club. Quite proud.

Carole, I can't touch your blog, and especially your great pictures. I will be ashamed of mine, but my tools are a bit lacking. How in the world did you break ribs, and are you recovering??

What is everyones thoughts about booking now? I can't help thinking that prices will come down based on the lousy economy which I don't see getting better too soon. Enough so, that the 15% discount my be surpassed? Any of you learned friends care to comment on that?

More later.

What is everyones thoughts about booking now? I can't help thinking that prices will come down based on the lousy economy which I don't see getting better too soon. Enough so, that the 15% discount my be surpassed? Any of you learned friends care to comment on that?

More later.

Ask Meredith - but used to be, book now, then if prices come down, pay a USD $50.00 per person fee to change and you get to keep your 15% on board discount for the reduced fare. It was always worth the change fee to take advantage of the price drop.

FT

You will enjoy the SD cookbook. Mine sits on the counter in the kitchen. On days when I am suffering mightily from my SD addiction I take out that cookbook, flip through the pages taking time to smile at familiar faces like Christophe and Chef Tomasz and others, and then put it back in it's place of honor...ROFL!!

FT is the expert on the booking with discount and then rolling it forward. I followed her advice when we were on board in March. We then decided to move to the Fall '10 crossing instead of the Fall '09 crossing we had booked. It was simple as calling SD and them charging me $50 to move it forward. Very painless indeed.

If you like seafood be sure to order the Dover sole when it is one the menu. It is the best I have ever had!!

I am sure you will have a most enjoyable evening at dinner with Capt. T this evening. Just don't believe everything he tells you about Charlie, FT and me (especially me ... ROFL). Please be sure to give him my regards ... FT gets to do that in person in just a few short days (or are they long days as the days drag when you are waiting to board SD)!

You guys were right about the rain. Today we had a few brief showers. Nothing to worry about. I got my cookbook delivered to the cabin with a personal greeeting from the chef. Very nice. Everything about SeaDream is first class.

Suzanne told me that there was a table at lunch the the wife had ordered a burger without a bun. She was not at the table when it was delivered and her husband said rudely, "take this away. I did not order it!" When she returned it was brought to her and she said, "take this back, I didn't want french fries and they are all over it." Please people. Can you not eat around the fries. Can you not say," this is for my wife". I'm sure these are the same folks that will complain about the poor service. Oh well.

I am waiting for Suzanne to make herself beautiful for the Captain. The Windstar (or one of it's fleet) is anchored nearby and is beautiful at night. We took her 20 something years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Capt. T may actually have been captaining the ship at the time as he was there during that time period. I just can't get over what a nice a gracious host he is. He is constantly chatting with passengers and I'm sure the last thing he want s to do is dine with 20 of his new best friends. He is a great representative of teh company.

Waiting for the sole!!

Hi Artlee,

these are interesting entries.

Yes, the 15% offer off future cruises is standard and you will need to be on board to receive that rate. I've never heard of that rate dropping at any moment during the cruise. But 15% can be substantial savings?

Happy to hear your are enjoying yourself. I really enjoyed seadream, but in my opinion, this board goes a little nuts over the amenities.

Thanks for the blog compliments, Art. To answer your question about my broken ribs - I fell down the stairs. I'm klutzy by nature, and tend to prove it more often that not. :eek: [Where's the smiley face with bandages all over it?!?] I'm almost back to 100% now. Woohoo! :)

DJ is right - the sole is to die for. It's one of my favorite meals onboard.

I have the cookbook, too. Didn't think to get it signed by the Chef. Duh! *smacks forehead* If there's a recipe you'd like to have that's not in the cookbook, just ask the Concierge to get it for you. I've done that in the past. It'll be delivered to your stateroom.

Want to buy something else in the Boutique? Assuming it's still available, get the Orrefors crystal candle holder (the one that's on the tables in the Dining Salon). It's a great reminder of time spent onboard. We love ours.

Keep enjoying every moment!

Dinner last night was wonderful. The Captain is a most gracious and generous host. I'm sure he dreads these things but he made all feel like they were the most important person there. Suzanne sat next to him and the poor guy never could get a breath, I'm sure. I was telling him how much I loved the soups on board and he offered to send me an email with a small correction on one of his favorites that I think may be in the cookbook. He really personalized the experience on board. He also pitched the Med for our next cruise. It sounded really great so now I have something to think about. He also said the rough weather we had the first night was worse than any weather he had experienced on his crossings (7 or 8?).

It looks to be rainy today in Nevis. We are waiting to see if it clears up and will venture ashore.

Sedona, I meant that the fares may come down during the year and wondered if so, would it be below what the 15% off would be. May just put myself out of my misery and redo the same cruise for next year, hopefully with Capt. T.

Carole, glad you are recovering.

DisneyJen, you are too funny. Heard the good Captain got an email from you before dinner advising him of our joining him. Fortunately, at that late state, he could not get out of it!! lol

:p

Glad you enjoyed your evening with Capt. T. Trust me he will email you that recipe change ... just don't tell the chef;)

Hope that the weather clears so you can take a look at Nevis ... even if it's from the comfort of a Bali Bed or a pool lounger.

Indeed we are. I must confess we are enjoying it ala DJ, from deck 6. Me under the shade and Suzanne soaking in the sun. Last night was a bit rough as we headed here. Started around 2/3am and continued until we anchored. It is still rolling a bit, but nothing bad. Enjoyed dinner for two with my dear wife last night. Grilled chicken/mushrooms, and veggies in one of their wonderful sauces followed by banana soufle. yummy. We slept in and barely made it to breakfast. We had planned to go ashore but the time flew by and before we knew it, it was lunch so what is a man to do?? I am anxious for the famous splash party. Suzanne is already set with her official SeaDream Splash Team hat. Once again the Captain made the rounds checking in with everyone. We are tendered with the tender, as always, one of the lifeboats for those of you having not sailed. Special on laundry of 25% off today and tomorrow. Sun and drinks free.

Next years cruise we are interested in is Dec 5th and is listed as one of the Captains Club specials making it discounted $500. The discount on board of 15% is around $580 I think. I will ask Meridith if we can combine those. Now that would make me sign on the dotted line. Can't hurt to ask.

Indeed we are. I must confess we are enjoying it ala DJ, from deck 6. Me under the shade and Suzanne soaking in the sun. Last night was a bit rough as we headed here. Started around 2/3am and continued until we anchored. It is still rolling a bit, but nothing bad. Enjoyed dinner for two with my dear wife last night. Grilled chicken/mushrooms, and veggies in one of their wonderful sauces followed by banana soufle. yummy. We slept in and barely made it to breakfast. We had planned to go ashore but the time flew by and before we knew it, it was lunch so what is a man to do?? I am anxious for the famous splash party. Suzanne is already set with her official SeaDream Splash Team hat. Once again the Captain made the rounds checking in with everyone. We are tendered with the tender, as always, one of the lifeboats for those of you having not sailed. Special on laundry of 25% off today and tomorrow. Sun and drinks free.

Thanks for checking in Art ... glad that you and Suzanne are keeping our spots warm:p

Sorry to hear that it was a bit rough last night. Hopefully you took those little white pills available from the concierge and that you didn't mind the motion in the ocean too much.

Anguilla's beaches are beautiful ... especially when viewed from Deck 6:D

Interesting on the laundry special. Haven't seen that before. We have used the laundry and find that they do a very good job!

The champagne and caviar splash is always the highlight of the voyage! I am sure you and Suzanne will enjoy yourselves!

Archived