"If I were not upon the sea"

Has been a skit on Cunard ships since their ships started employing cruise directors. It was pure genius in its' day.

Passengers were more of a family in the days when cruises were longer (often six or eight weeks). There was no internet, no cell phones, no faxes and no TV.

The last days of a cruise were often terribly sad and nostalgiic, so they had to break up the gloom somehow, and "If I were not Upon the Sea" is just the right sort of silliness

It is still going strong on QM2 today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAQ8J5ZthG8

Disney does a version on their ships too, perhaps looking for a history that they never had.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw this show twice in the last few months onboard the beautiful Diamond Princess.

Adam Goder, the Cruise Director, put it on as the final number on both crew shows on my last 2 cruises. Two different CD teams provided 2 different experiences - both were hysterical. Special mention must go to Tyson as the tennis player with dozens of pairs of shorts, Kimmy as Lorena Bobbit and of course Adam as the ballerina.

Keep this show going - it's great fun!!!

• 1 month later...

We saw this skit on our first cruise on Royal Caribbean's Sun Viking back in January of 1994 and saw it again on Ruby Princess this in January of 2010. It is a very funny skit, but the funniest time we saw it was on a square dance weekend we attended when a group of fellow square dancers (and very good friends of ours) did their own version of it. We laughed till we cried.

--------------------

Our past cruises

Royal Caribbean - Sun Viking - Jan 1994

NCL - Norwegian Majesty - May 2002

Carnival Liberty - Feb 2008

MSC Lirica - April 2009

NCL - Norwegian Sky - Nov 2009

Ruby Princess - Jan 2010

Future Cruises

NCL - Norwegian Sun - Nov 2010

NCL - Norwegain Dawn - Feb 2011

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've worked on ships & have done 'Upon/Sea' many times ('Undertaker' - 'Ballerina').Ton of fun to do..! I believe I'm correct in saying it was brought over by the early British cruise directors. It's based on an old English music hall sketch called ' If I Were Not Upon the Stage'. The cruise director ( usually male) normally in drag as the 'Ballerina'..based on England's pantomime tradition where some of the female characters are played by men..

Plenty of examples on 'youtube'...:D

Edited by leanrunnerboy

:)Saw it the first time on the Cunard Princess on an E. Med. cruise 1992.

I was told it was from what British soldiers use to do many years ago to amuse themselves with a Soldiers Show. It was so funny, I almost fell off my chair. Oh! how I miss the under 1,000 passenger cruise ships. Same for regular passenger ships in the 50's too.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...