cruise from galveston

samantha40

Hi we are 60'sh Australian couple new to cruising. We are travelling to England in March and then to Austin to see friends in April, 2010 I have been looking at cruises from Galveston, as this port is not too far from Austin.

Do you think these cruises are suitable for our age, or should we fly to Miami (expensive way to do it) as more cruises seem available.

I have looked at a lot of USA travel sites they seem a lot cheaper than australian sites but have been warned that as we are not USA citizens we can be refused boarding if booking with US travel agents.

We also would like to spend a couple of days before and after cruise in galveston, any suggestions re hotels and transport.

Thanks in advance

Samantha,

I live in Austin and have cruised several times on the Voyager of the Seas (RCCL). I've taken this cruise with a group of ladies ranging in age from late 40's to 70. The Voyager is a wonderful ship. I haven't sailed with Carnival at all so I don't know anything about them.

I have stayed at the Hilton in Galveston and got an excellent rate on hotels.com with a nonrefundable prepaid reservation. They offer free cruise parking there, but parking is not expensive at EZ Cruise, you can prebook it online.

I'm afraid that I can't help you with transportation issues since I drive my own car to Galveston.

Have a great trip.

If you are planning to stay two or three days pre and post cruise, you might check on the prices for a rental car for the entire period (pre-cruise, cruise, and post-cruise). That way you would have transportation available when you need it. You would just leave the car parked at the hotel if they offer cruise parking, or in the EZ cruise pay lot.

I would probably have your friends take you to the airport that you will use to fly home from (probably IAH), and rent the car there before your trip. Then you would just return the car before you fly home. This option might be cheaper than using a limousine to take you to and from Galveston, plus the cost of taxis while in Galveston. We have sailed 4 times in the past from Galveston on RCCL ships and always have had a great cruise.

Hypo

Galveston is a great town!! Plenty to do for several days.... Go to Galveston.com, and it will help you alot.

I agree with the car rental, the best way to go---

My favorite hotel is Harbor House, really neat place, but there are several other really nice ones.

I love Texas, and I love Galveston. But to come all the way from Australia...you will only have two choices, really only one for 7night.

These are good cruises with fun 'mostly'-Texan and nearby state residents.

But if looking for a cruise on a newer ship, more interesting ports, and a more international passenger list - look more into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale offerings.

The first two weeks in April you would also be able to sail on Royal Carribean's Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston as well as the Carnival Conquest (which is here year-round), both of which offer 7 day cruises. Carnival Ecstasy sails out of Galveston year-round also and offers 4 and 5 day cruises. If it's convenience you're looking for while you're in Austin, then sailing out of Galveston is an easy trip as it's only about a 4 hour drive from Austin.

Voyager of the Seas will be at the Port of Galveston December 13, 2009 through April 18, 2010 sailing 7 night cruises leaving on Sunday afternoon and returning on Sunday morning. Per the RCI website she will have various ports of call on her Western Caribbean itinerary during that time:

Roatan Honduras, Belize City Belize, Cozumel Mexico

................................or

Cozumel Mexico, George Town Grand Cayman, Montego Bay Jamaica

Roatan Honduras, Costa Maya Mexico, Cozumel Mexico

Cozumel Mexico, George Town Grand Cayman, Falmouth Jamaica

On April 18, 2010 she will sail a 14 night Eastbound Transatlantic back to Barcelona, Spain. She will return to Galveston in the Fall of 2010.

Hope this additional information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA10_prv.gif

042202_1319_92_prv.gif'Tis the season to be jolly... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about your age. I wouldn't take the time to fly to Florida for the cruise. You'll find plenty of people over age 60 on the Conquest or Ecstasy. I'm one of them. Carnival ships have all ages on board. I think you would have a great time on either the Carnival Conquest (7 days) or the Carnival Ecstasy (4 or 5 days). We usually do a 5-day Ecstasy cruise each year. Note that it is still a good 5 hour drive to Galveston from Austin -- longer if you hit heavy traffic in Houston, and it is pretty much guaranteed you will. So, you might want to drive down the day before the cruise and stay in the Houston or Galveston area or one of the nearby towns.

Aside from the cruise, try to get to San Antonio. I live in Dallas now, but grew up in San Antonio. You could drive to Galveston, take a cruise, then drive to San Antonio for a few days, then back to Austin.

Oh -- Don't forget the High Tea on sea days on the Carnival ship. It won't be quite like an English high tea, but I think you will enjoy it. Besides, it's free

Don't worry about your age. I wouldn't take the time to fly to Florida for the cruise. You'll find plenty of people over age 60 on the Conquest or Ecstasy. I'm one of them. Carnival ships have all ages on board. I think you would have a great time on either the Carnival Conquest (7 days) or the Carnival Ecstasy (4 or 5 days). We usually do a 5-day Ecstasy cruise each year. Note that it is still a good 5 hour drive to Galveston from Austin -- longer if you hit heavy traffic in Houston, and it is pretty much guaranteed you will. So, you might want to drive down the day before the cruise and stay in the Houston or Galveston area or one of the nearby towns.

Aside from the cruise, try to get to San Antonio. I live in Dallas now, but grew up in San Antonio. You could drive to Galveston, take a cruise, then drive to San Antonio for a few days, then back to Austin.

Oh -- Don't forget the High Tea on sea days on the Carnival ship. It won't be quite like an English high tea, but I think you will enjoy it. Besides, it's free

I totally agree!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi we are 60'sh Australian couple new to cruising. We are travelling to England in March and then to Austin to see friends in April, 2010 I have been looking at cruises from Galveston, as this port is not too far from Austin.

Do you think these cruises are suitable for our age, or should we fly to Miami (expensive way to do it) as more cruises seem available.

I have looked at a lot of USA travel sites they seem a lot cheaper than australian sites but have been warned that as we are not USA citizens we can be refused boarding if booking with US travel agents.

We also would like to spend a couple of days before and after cruise in galveston, any suggestions re hotels and transport.

Thanks in advance

All I have to say is carnival conquest April 11,2010 my group will be age 26-55 all vets cruisers will be fun.:D

If you are planning to cruise in April, best to check with the cruise line to see if the date you want falls into Spring Break.. Lotssa Parttying going on on those cruises!:)

The main spring break cruising week is around the 3rd week of March, not april. I have cruise Easter week the last 3 years on RCL and it was never a problem. last week in March once, and first sunday in April approx. Easter varys. Seems to be a great week for deals on prices so far Iv been lucky.

Maybe it was because people are afraid its still spring break?? never could figure out how I got such great deals then.

I highly recommend the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston, she's a great ship! For a complete "cruise experience" stay at the Harbor House right by the cruise terminal. Great seafood right next door at Willie G's and Fisherman's Wharf. A perfect pre-cruise hotel and meal! :)

Archived