Who wants to visit Eclipse at the shipyard?

editor@cruisecritic

Not sure. It worked for me.

Could it possibly be your browser? I'm not too sure of what else could be causing an issue.

It's strange... it let me enter everything but doesn't like the format I have put in my phone number. I have tried every way possible. Did the first box only allow you to put in the area code? and the second box the phone number? Do you put in any dashes... or spaces?

Hi, have passed along all the tech concerns to Celebrity and have asked for an explanation; stay tuned. I'll report back...

Carolyn

It's strange... it let me enter everything but doesn't like the format I have put in my phone number. I have tried every way possible. Did the first box only allow you to put in the area code? and the second box the phone number? Do you put in any dashes... or spaces?

For those that may not be lucky enough to be one of the Winners... :(

You can visit Meyer-Werft as they have tours around the shipyard, go to their webiste at www.meyer-werft.de click on the UK flag on the Right hand side unless you speak German of course. Then just click on the Visitors drop down bar at the top and there are the details .... :D

You are absolutely correct. Meyer Werft is the only yard I know of that does make an effort to introduce anyone who's interested to the shipbuilding process. (I'm sure it's not easy for other yards but MW has found a way). It also has the most amazing gift shop!!! Plan accordingly :)

The only downside to Meyer Werft is its location. It's just not easily accessible to major cities (visited from Dusseldorf once and it was about a three hour bus ride, also visited from Berlin, though have blocked out that commuting experience which I assume also had jet lag factors mixed in :) ). Shipyards best positioned for comfortable commutes in my mind would be Marghera, Fincantieri's shipyard just outside of Venice (if you're flying in and on the "right" side of plane you can see ships) and STX Europe's Turku yard (where Oasis of the Seas was built); it's an easy (and quite scenically gorgeous) 1.5 hour train ride from Helsinki.

Carolyn

PS what's also interesting is that cruise lines are starting to twig that offering people a shipyard experience -- which you cannot buy -- is more and more important. Beyond Celebrity, we've talked to at least two other major cruise lines that are considering contests that will allow winners access....

For those that may not be lucky enough to be one of the Winners... :(

You can visit Meyer-Werft as they have tours around the shipyard, go to their webiste at www.meyer-werft.de click on the UK flag on the Right hand side unless you speak German of course. Then just click on the Visitors drop down bar at the top and there are the details .... :D

Carolyn ..... As you say MW is in an awkward place in terms of transport etc, STX Turku i guess could be visited on a day trip from a cruise ship as there are cruises that go there.

About 4 years ago we visited Turku albeit briefly on a trip from Sweden and as you mentioned the scenery is wonderful.

Fincantieri at Maghera again woud be a good location being accessible by car or bus and maybe even water from the port at Venice which is even closer to the yard.

Marco Polo airport is also only a short distance away, it would be great if these other yards also made access to them for visitors.

I think that Fincantieri at Monfalcone has a visitors centre but not access to the shipyard.

Dave.

I received an email from Celebrity the other day inviting me to register for a drawing for a chance to win & an opportunity for an additional entry for every person up to five people that I recommend to receive an entry. What do you think my chances of winning are??:eek::D

Just heard today -- there willl be an announcement tomorrow re opportunity for UK travelers to go to the shipyard! Stay tuned --

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn

Any news yet for us UK Celebrity customers?

Please keep us informed, many thanks.

Pj

I received an email from Celebrity the other day inviting me to register for a drawing for a chance to win & an opportunity for an additional entry for every person up to five people that I recommend to receive an entry. What do you think my chances of winning are??:eek::D

I entered the other day and gave them my friends names. I would love to go and would even give up my cruise I have planned for March 8th to go and see this. I think your chances are as good as mine, not likely but someone will go so what not the two of us. Good luck.

Pat

I'm told there will be a similar opportunity for U.K. travelers and that it'll take place in January! So hold tight --

Carolyn

Captain's Club have told me that the reason they sent sweepstake details to ineligible customers was because they are unable to recognise many UK travellers (e.g. those with AOL.com addresses) as such from their email addresses. It is difficult to see how they will be able to recognise the same disappointed customers to send them the invitation to enter the UK competition. Will we miss out twice?

Captain's Club have told me that the reason they sent sweepstake details to ineligible customers was because they are unable to recognise many UK travellers (e.g. those with AOL.com addresses) as such from their email addresses. It is difficult to see how they will be able to recognise the same disappointed customers to send them the invitation to enter the UK competition. Will we miss out twice?

I guess a link on the UK website would be too difficult of course !!!

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else have a problem with the referrals? I put in the email addys and info, but the people I referred never got an email from Celebrity. Do you automatically get the extra entries when you provide the email addys, or do the people need to actually enter the contest? :confused:

I hope I am a winner too. I won a prize at a travel extravaganza over the weekend and I asked the Celebrity rep if I won a trip on the backwards cruise -not. I was the only one in a large room of people that noticed the lawn in one of the photo presentations. I am way too excited for our Eclipse cruise!! I guess I could have gotten a better deal if I would not have booked the Eclipse last year, but we were not going to miss out.

The Celebrity rep was one of the most knowledge reps there and she does an outstanding job of representing Celebrity.

This sounds great news, I do hope that something is offered for European guests.

Pleased to see that UK & Ireland captains Club members can now enter. You must enter before 31st Jan and draw takes place shortly afterwards.

Pity our entry will be as good as void as we will be on the high seas on Equinox when the phone calls are made !!! Anyway, the Best of Luck to all entrants.

I just received an e mail from Celebrity with the link to the competition.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Julie

Julie

Was this a competition for the shipyard visit that the US and Canadian's version was? We received an email but the competition was for a cruise - not the sme thing at all. Thanks.

Sue

Julie

Was this a competition for the shipyard visit that the US and Canadian's version was? We received an email but the competition was for a cruise - not the sme thing at all. Thanks.

Sue

Yes, this was for the shipyard visit -

Dear Julie,

Win a once-in-a-lifetime experience for you and a guest in our Celebrity Eclipse prize draw. We’re giving away an all-expenses paid trip to Germany to be on our newest Solstice Class ship, Celebrity Eclipse, as she makes the most fascinating journey to the sea.

Once in a lifetime experience

Enjoy a flight to Amsterdam, all meals, transfers, a tour of the Meyer Werft shipyard, and the exclusive opportunity to be onboard as Celebrity Eclipse navigates the winding River Ems in Germany to the North Sea in The Netherlands.

This is a rare event that only a few will ever experience (you’ll even go behind-the-scenes and see our fourth Solstice Class ship being built)! Good luck

Sounds like the same prize as was offered in the US.

Julie

Archived