New to Oceania

LILynn

Hi all - I just booked my first cruise on Oceania - to the med in Sept 2010. This will be my 5th med cruise but my first on Oceania. I have always chosen HAL or Princess in the past and have loved every trip I have been on. I would have chosen HAL or Princess again but they do the same itinaries every year and I wanted something different. This sailing has such great ports so I booked last week.

Just a few questions. I am one of those people that like to plan in advance what my options are for each port. I have been to most of the ports and will probably do most of them on our own but I am curious about what the shore excursions will be in some of the ports. How far in advance do they post the options for the shore excursions?

Also - I do not have any miles left so we decided to go with O's air - the credit is less than typical airfare I would have to pay to Rome then home from Venice. How far in advance will they let me know what the air arrangements are? Can I change them and pay the deviation fee once they book the air if I do not like what they chose?

I don't know what else to ask... so any other tips would be appreciated.

If you wait to hear what air arrangements Oceania will make for you using the standard air, it might be too late to make advantageous arrangements with a deviation. I would suggest asking for a deviation proposal as soon as possible -- they will accept requests 270 days prior, which should be about now for a Sept, 2010 cruise. The proposal will cost you nothing unless your accept it, which would result in an immediate $100 per person administrative fee, and the possibility of a surcharge over the air credit at final payment. If what they propose does not suit, just say no, thanks, and there will be no charge. I suggest you request a deviation to arrive a day early, as the flights that Oceania books will arrive on the day of sailing, and that doesn't allow much room for error.

When you request a deviation Oceania will no longer be able to provide transfers, but that's not a bad thing, because their transfers cost extra and tend to be much more expensive than local transportation. I would turn them down even if you are using their normal air arrangements.

If you accept their deviation, you will have the comfort of knowing your flights and even your seats immediately, and you will not have to pay anything for the air fares until the time of final payment. they can be canceled without penalty (except for the non-refundable administrative fee) up to final payment. If you book your own, you will have to pay now, and may not be able to get a refund.

As a general rule excursion details are posted about six months prior to your departure. You may choose and book any time after that with the option of canceling up to three days before sailing.

Since this will be your first Oceania cruise, you may have guessed you are in for a treat - and I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)

Hi all - I just booked my first cruise on Oceania - to the med in Sept 2010. This will be my 5th med cruise but my first on Oceania. I have always chosen HAL or Princess in the past and have loved every trip I have been on. I would have chosen HAL or Princess again but they do the same itinaries every year and I wanted something different. This sailing has such great ports so I booked last week.

Like you, we are longtime Princess cruisers. We just returned from our first O cruise (Whispers of Antiquity, Oct 17-31, Venice-to-Istanbul on Regatta).

What a dramatic improvement! Because of the smaller ship, staff is plentiful, friendly and appropriately attentive. There's no extra charge for cappuccino or espresso and no charge for the specialty dining rooms. Where the food on Princess is good but uninspired, O's food is creative, delicious and elegantly presented. Want a table for two? We never, ever had a problem. And those deck chairs!! Oceania staff cover every lounge chair with a white terrycloth cover and place a pool towel on each and every lounger. No need to account for your pool towels by bringing those soggy towels back to your cabin.

You are in for a delightful treat. Enjoy!

Just a few questions. I am one of those people that like to plan in advance what my options are for each port. I have been to most of the ports and will probably do most of them on our own but I am curious about what the shore excursions will be in some of the ports. How far in advance do they post the options for the shore excursions?

Also - I do not have any miles left so we decided to go with O's air - the credit is less than typical airfare I would have to pay to Rome then home from Venice. How far in advance will they let me know what the air arrangements are? Can I change them and pay the deviation fee once they book the air if I do not like what they chose?

I don't know what else to ask... so any other tips would be appreciated.

LiLynn,

You didn't say which of the Med cruises that you are taking. There are a number of Roll Calls already set up for some cruises in SEP 2010 (Di & I on 9/10 Athens to Istanbul cruise).

Also, you may want to look at earlier cruises that cover (some of) the same ports and look at what excursions that have been offered. At least it will give you a general idea until O comes out with your specific cruise offerings.

On our Scandinavian Splendors cruise last August, we used Shore Trips (shoretrips.com) to do our tours. I have not checked the ports in the Med, but they break it down pretty well, and then have several tours or more in each place. While we did a couple of the ship's tours, we were much happier with the private tours. No large buses, just a small group we put together partly on the roll call, and much more interesting, customizable, and intimate tours. We had most of them done long before the ship's tours came out.

Archived