A question for smokers

Tquinn1

I will be traveling with a smoker this time and do not know how to advise....would you suggest she pack and bring her own cigarettes or just purchase once we have boarded the ship? Are the brands very limited?

We will be on FOS, if this matters?

Thanks in advance!

I will be traveling with a smoker this time and do not know how to advise....would you suggest she pack and bring her own cigarettes or just purchase once we have boarded the ship? Are the brands very limited?

We will be on FOS, if this matters?

Thanks in advance!

I would advise she do both....she needs to bring some because the shop doesn't open 'til after sailing, they may not have the brand she prefers, and depending on the itinerary, she may be limited to the number of cartons she can purchase. Brands, in my opinion, are very limited, with Marlboro being the most available.

M.

I think St Thomas has the cheapest--I found Marlboro for $18/carton. And these are cigarettes made in the states and shipped there. So you are getting what you buy here for a fraction of the cost. If you buy at the shopping center at the dock they are $99 for 5 cartons. But I shopped around (was anyway) and found them for $18 ea. There is a limit of 5 pp.

I carry and I buy. The ones I carry will have the govt "seal" and once I purchase on board, I'll smoke those and leave the ones with seals in my luggage. You can only purchase one carton per person, except St. Marteen or Thomas (can't remember which) where you can purchase 5 cartons. I always get members of my non-smoking family to each carry a carton for me.

Some smokers are very brand specific. I know I was when I smoked. It was either Kools or bust.

But when you get into Europe say for example, Kools are an oddity.

I say bring what you need. The savings won't be all that significant and there's nothing worse than a smoker who is ill content.

Some smokers are very brand specific. I know I was when I smoked. It was either Kools or bust.

But when you get into Europe say for example, Kools are an oddity.

I say bring what you need. The savings won't be all that significant and there's nothing worse than a smoker who is ill content.

A woman @ work asked me to bring back Virginia Slims Menthol...are they available?

Knowing they sell Marlboro Lights onboard, I brought two packs with me and then bought five cartons for $99 (on Long Island they're $75 a carton!).

When I went through customs, I wrote on the sheet that I had $80 worth of cigarettes (since one carton is considered free, as you're allowed to bring back one carton) and the customs guy CLEARLY read that part of the sheet and didn't say a word. (whew)

Knowing they sell Marlboro Lights onboard, I brought two packs with me and then bought five cartons for $99 (on Long Island they're $75 a carton!).

When I went through customs, I wrote on the sheet that I had $80 worth of cigarettes (since one carton is considered free, as you're allowed to bring back one carton) and the customs guy CLEARLY read that part of the sheet and didn't say a word. (whew)

You're most likely breaking some sort of law in the state where you live, even though you're not likely to get caught. I know in Michigan the fine for possession of cigarettes without the state tax stamp is $12 per pack.

You're most likely breaking some sort of law in the state where you live, even though you're not likely to get caught. I know in Michigan the fine for possession of cigarettes without the state tax stamp is $12 per pack.

Well, what happened was I met a couple onboard who said you're allowed to bring back one (or is it two...don't remember...I think two) bottle of duty-free liquor and if you get caught (as they once did), you'll just be asked to pay a small amount of tax (which they were and did). We all assumed it would be the same for cigs, and I figured no matter what it wouldn't come to $75 a carton.

Someone on these boards recently told me (in a similar thread) that the cigs would've been confiscated, which would've sucked...even though I did the luggage valet program and was nowhere near my suitcase, nor did I have any idea of where it was at that moment, so I'm not sure anyone would've really gone through all that trouble to find it.

Once the customs guy didn't care, I knew I was home free because the people at LGA had no idea (nor did they care) about duty-free items, since, according to them, I simply flew to NY from MIA.

I probably won't do it again in the future because I wouldn't want $80 worth of cigs confiscated, nor would I want to have to pay ridiculous taxes, making them not worth it.

Interestingly (or not, haha), twice this year my sister flew home from Mexico with six bottles of duty-free liquor in shopping bags in her hands (as her carry on) and six MORE bottles in her checked luggage that she was GIVEN at her all-inclusive hotel. No one cared about her going ten bottles over the limit. The guy at customs said to her, "Boy someone's having some party, huh?" :)

It is illegal to sell unstamped cigarette packs at retail. It is fine to posses them without the stamps. Plus his tan will probably explain where he got them from.

It is illegal to sell unstamped cigarette packs at retail. It is fine to posses them without the stamps. Plus his tan will probably explain where he got them from.
Not in Michigan, simple possession is enough. You can avoid the penalty, though, if you file a form with your incomes taxes and pay the tax on them. However, to make sure you understand it's not legal, they also say this:

"However, payment of the Cigarette and Use taxes does not legitimize illegal possession of cigarettes"

I know in Michigan the fine for possession of cigarettes without the state tax stamp is $12 per pack.

huh?

please back this up.....

So, a Illinois person shows up with a carton bought in Chicago and can get fined $12 per pack? or better yet, a resident from St. Thomas shows up in New Buffalo, MI. for 3 weeks vacation with 2 cartons and gets fined? What are you talking about?

huh?

please back this up.....

So, a Illinois person shows up with a carton bought in Chicago and can get fined $12 per pack? or better yet, a resident from St. Thomas shows up in New Buffalo, MI. for 3 weeks vacation with 2 cartons and gets fined? What are you talking about?

I don't think the law applies to non-Michigan residents, but my original post was related to the person going back to their home state with untaxed cigarettes.

I don't think the law applies to non-Michigan residents, but my original post was related to the person going back to their home state with untaxed cigarettes.

It still does not make sense. If you're a Michigan resident you can't buy a carton or 2 in Indiana, Ohio or Illinois or for that matter St. Thomas? or if I'm a Michigan resident coming back from Canada with the allowed US Customs package, I can get fined by the State of Michigan $12 a pack? This would never stand up in any federal appeals court.

Please provide a link..... to back up this ridiculous claim.

I purchased Virginia slim menthol lights two summers ago on the Mariner of the seas when she sailed out of Port Canavral.

Inside the carton, they were double wrapped, and did have a slightly different taste.

I paid less than 20 dollars on board.

Safe travels.

It still does not make sense. If you're a Michigan resident you can't buy a carton or 2 in Indiana, Ohio or Illinois ...
No, and you also can't buy them over the Internet from another state or anywhere else. It would never get to a federal appeals court, it's a state law. But since you asked:

Michigan purchasers who have acquired unstamped/untaxed cigarettes can avoid costly

penalties by paying the Tobacco and Use Taxes that are due. The cigarette taxes are paid

using forms 4096A or 4096B found on the Treasury website. The use tax can be paid as

part of the annual filing of the individual income tax return, form MI-1040. However,

payment of the Cigarette and Use taxes does not legitimize illegal possession of

cigarettes.

Treasurer Rising Warns of Illegal Purchases

June 30, 2004

With Michigan's Cigarette Tax increasing from $1.25 to $2 a pack on Thursday, July 1, 2004, State Treasurer Jay B. Rising is reminding state residents it is illegal to have control of or possess untaxed/unstamped cigarettes (or other tobacco products) purchased on the internet, by telephone, by mail, or by crossing state lines. Not only are purchasers liable for cigarette and use taxes on their purchases, they could also face a 100% penalty. "Michigan residents should not be fooled into believing they can purchase tax free cigarettes," said Treasurer Rising. "Under federal law, Internet cigarette vendors have a legal responsibility to provide details of their sales to Michigan residents. We then use that information to issue assessments and collect taxes and penalties that are due."

And this is enforced how? What resources does the state of MI have right now to enforce this?
Hard to say, although, they're definitely looking for every dollar of revenue they can scrounge up. Regardless, that's hardly the point.

Also, if you read the original post I made on this subject, I said "You're most likely breaking some sort of law in the state where you live, even though you're not likely to get caught", I would guess this applies to Michigan as well.

Hard to say, although, they're definitely looking for every dollar of revenue they can scrounge up. Regardless, that's hardly the point.

Also, if you read the original post I made on this subject, I said "You're most likely breaking some sort of law in the state where you live, even though you're not likely to get caught", I would guess this applies to Michigan as well.

I did read what you wrote, and I think that most states, especially MI, aren't going to spend their valuable resources to try to enforce something that most people don't know anything about. It would cost more to try to find all these criminals bringing in illegal cigarettes than they would recoup in damages and fines. I'd say that if customs allows you to bring the cigarettes in, you're probably ok.

I did read what you wrote, and I think that most states, especially MI, aren't going to spend their valuable resources to try to enforce something that most people don't know anything about. It would cost more to try to find all these criminals bringing in illegal cigarettes than they would recoup in damages and fines. I'd say that if customs allows you to bring the cigarettes in, you're probably ok.
Again, the likelihood of getting caught is not the point, the point is that it is illegal in Michigan, and is quite possibly illegal in whatever state the person I replied to is from.

I will say, though, not living too far from the Indiana border that the State Police are known to pay attention to the northern Indiana party stores for people buying alcohol and bringing it back to Michigan (the limit is one case). Not being a smoker, I don't pay attention to that, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies.

No, and you also can't buy them over the Internet from another state or anywhere else. It would never get to a federal appeals court, it's a state law. But since you asked:

Michigan purchasers who have acquired unstamped/untaxed cigarettes can avoid costly

penalties by paying the Tobacco and Use Taxes that are due. The cigarette taxes are paid

using forms 4096A or 4096B found on the Treasury website. The use tax can be paid as

part of the annual filing of the individual income tax return, form MI-1040. However,

payment of the Cigarette and Use taxes does not legitimize illegal possession of

cigarettes.

Treasurer Rising Warns of Illegal Purchases

June 30, 2004

With Michigan's Cigarette Tax increasing from $1.25 to $2 a pack on Thursday, July 1, 2004, State Treasurer Jay B. Rising is reminding state residents it is illegal to have control of or possess untaxed/unstamped cigarettes (or other tobacco products) purchased on the internet, by telephone, by mail, or by crossing state lines. Not only are purchasers liable for cigarette and use taxes on their purchases, they could also face a 100% penalty. "Michigan residents should not be fooled into believing they can purchase tax free cigarettes," said Treasurer Rising. "Under federal law, Internet cigarette vendors have a legal responsibility to provide details of their sales to Michigan residents. We then use that information to issue assessments and collect taxes and penalties that are due."

You don't undesrstand how our federal system works. A state can and is allowed to govern itself anyway it seems fit or at least it thinks it can, but if a purchaser of St. Thomas cigarettes got busted for bringing couple of cartons into Michigan and got charged, s/he can take it to higher courts and eventually it can end up in federal appeals court or even the Supreme court which would knock down this law in a NY second. The states don't have a right to forbid their citizens from purchasing items outside their state. It's called Interstate Commerce and the federal government will step in (in this case federal court) and shut down any attempt by the state for purchasing "legal" and taxed items outside their own state. Last I checked the great state of Michigan does not have Customs stationed at each entry to the state.

What you presented is a law that prohibits any wholesellers from reselling cigarettes in the state of Michigan that were purchased outside the state and tax has not been paid. That is perfectly understandable and legal. The state can regulate commerce within it's own borders and in most cases the feds will stay out of it, but the feds will definitely step in when the state will try to regulate what their citizens can/cannot buy outside the state's borders. It also clearly states that it's UNTAXED, not necessarily by the state of Michigan, just UNTAXED by anybody.

The law is not about the average Joe bringing in a carton or 2 of cigs or bottle or 2 of booze for their own consumption.

You don't undesrstand how our federal system works. A state can and is allowed to govern itself anyway it seems fit or at least it thinks it can, but if a purchaser of St. Thomas cigarettes got busted for bringing couple of cartons into Michigan and got charged, s/he can take it to higher courts and eventually it can end up in federal appeals court or even the Supreme court which would knock down this law in a NY second. The states don't have a right to forbid their citizens from purchasing items outside their state. It's called Interstate Commerce and the federal government will step in (in this case federal court) and shut down any attempt to tax the state citizens from being punished for buying stuff outside the state jurisdiction.

What you presented is a law that prohibits any wholesellers from reselling cigarettes in the state of Michigan that were purchased outside the state and tax has not been paid. That is perfectly understandable and legal. The state can regulate commerce within it's own borders and in most cases the feds will stay out of it, but the feds will definitely step in when the state will try to regulate what their citizens can/cannot buy outside the state's borders.

The law is not about the average Joe bringing in a carton or 2 of cigs or bottle or 2 of booze for their own consumption.

Somebody doesn't understand how the federal system works, and it's not me.

Archived