Seabourn Pride: Asian Capitals and Vietnam II (3/27/10)

crewser10

First time on Seabourn and first time to Asia. Any recommendations for excursions? Hong Kong, Hanoi, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, Bankgkok and Singapore? Also, anything special about Seabourn we should know? We are recent empty nesters and like fairly active agenda. Thanks!

Hi there thought I would post a reply as no one else has, which is very strange for this board, but I think the reason being if you scan down the pages you will see a lot of information regarding these cruises, regarding the ports and tours and recomendations. Guess people just do not want to repeat them.

We have done the trip twice and all I can say is you will have a ball, and we would do it again someday.

We live in Hong Kong so if you need any help there with ideas only glad to help, depends how long you intend to stay here, I would say 4-5 days is good, only 2 is never long enough. Hong Kong is a fun place to visit, its not all shopping!!

Have a great cruise Angie

There is so much to see in Singapore. I just wanted to touch on a few places. Try to see the Zoo in the nightime if you are there in the evening. Visit the Botanic Gardens. Beautiful. Chinatown is nice to visit. Also, Littel India. It is a very nice, safe and clean city and with good planning easy to do on your own. Also a great, easy to use subway system.

Bangkok. I would take an excursion or private tour and not try to do this on your own. Very difficult city to get around and you do have to be careful there. Would recommend seeing some of the Temples there. Very elaborate.

Hong Kong. You can do this city on your own or you can take an excursion. If you want to get anything custom made this is the city to have that done. Also, great place to get eye glasses if you wear them.

DaNang. We did get over to China Beac to see both the anicient and the more modern Vietnam. We enjoyed the Cham Museum in DaNang. We also visited Marble Moutain which was interesting.

Ho Chi Minh City. I would try to get a nice overview tour of the city to take you to see the major highlights. Also try to spend some time walking around but I would do this in an organized or private tour and not on my own.

Keith

Thanks so much for your reply Angie. As I said I am new to this board and posting, so not sure of the etiquette. Have you been on Seabourn? Did you like the smaller ship? Is it friendly? Is there enough to do...I am happy with a book, but my husband gets antsy. Just not sure which excursions are worth it...they all sound great. We will be in Hong Kong for 2 nights before the cruise, staying at the Intercontinental,which I understand is very well located. Hope to hear more from you...is there an easy way to see when I get a reply? Thanks again, Lori

Hi there thought I would post a reply as no one else has, which is very strange for this board, but I think the reason being if you scan down the pages you will see a lot of information regarding these cruises, regarding the ports and tours and recomendations. Guess people just do not want to repeat them.

We have done the trip twice and all I can say is you will have a ball, and we would do it again someday.

We live in Hong Kong so if you need any help there with ideas only glad to help, depends how long you intend to stay here, I would say 4-5 days is good, only 2 is never long enough. Hong Kong is a fun place to visit, its not all shopping!!

Have a great cruise Angie

I would definitely look into private tours at all your ports in Viet Nam. They will be more inclusive, probably cheaper and give you control of what you want to see. The two main tour companies there are Exotissimo which you will have to book through your TA (call him/her and ask about them) and Tony-Ann Tours which you can google and book through the internet and email.

Hi Lori, yes we have travelled Seabourn now 144 nights, so as you can guess we do love it, to be honest you will not find a more friendly ship. If you want to mingle and make friends, I suggest the Sky bar, very informal with lots of people to chat to, and there is the Trivia, held every sea day. I have to say ****** and I do not go as we are happy, with a book relaxing in the sun, but a lot of people do go. Then there is the beach party which I will not say to much about, but its the best day ever.

There is not a huge amount to do, she is not like large ships with lots going on, but what is arranged is so much fun, with a great crowd of people.

The tours on board are expensive but in the Far East I would say a good thing to do booking on the ship. Easy to get ripped off otherwise. Wrippo has given you contact details for Vietnam and I know from past posts a lot of people have used them, so would be good to book with them.

Just have to say once you have been with Seabourn you will be ruined for the rest of the cruise lines we can not think of going on a large ship now.

Nearer the time if you want more input on Hong Kong only glad to help, the hotel you are staying at is on Kowloon side, I think being on Hong Kong Island is best, but its easy to get over the water by the 'star ferry' or by taxi (under the water LOL) mind you, you will have wonderful views of Hong Kong by night.

Have fun with all the planning any more questions only glad to help. Angie

Does anyone know for sure what dock in Bangkok the Pride will use on the March 27th voyage? Normally it docks very close to the center of Bangkok. However, the port schedule only shows the Pride docking there the week before and the week after; not on April 6 and 7. It would be a problem if it docks at the port 2 hours from the city for those going to Angkor Wat.

Does anyone know for sure what dock in Bangkok the Pride will use on the March 27th voyage? Normally it docks very close to the center of Bangkok. However, the port schedule only shows the Pride docking there the week before and the week after; not on April 6 and 7. It would be a problem if it docks at the port 2 hours from the city for those going to Angkor Wat.

I suggest emailing seabourn.

We love the Intercontinental and stay their everytime. Great harbor views and the food is outstanding. The ship is very friendly if you are. We have used Tony-Ann tours in Vietnam and very pleased. Many Seabourn passengers do. About half the price of Seabourn and they are used to having Seabourn passengers. We were very comfortable n a nice SUV while the Seabourn tours were in a van and the passengers said it was miserable as their knees were in their chests...and it's not a short ride!!

I also used Tony-Ann tours last year in several ports and wished I had booked them for all the ports. They are very reliable and well organized. The guides were very helpful--recommending which taxis to use and which to avoid. They also recommended the Lemon Grass restaurant in Saigon rather than the one the ship used. The food was outstanding, the place was elegant, the service superb, and when we got the bill we couldn't believe how reasonable it was. I understand also, the restaurant the ship uses can be booked independently for half the price. Passengers were pleased with the ship's restaurant, but the Lemon Grass was less touristy. Hope this helps.

I agree with all of what Angie has said about the Seabourn Pride. We have spent well over the 140 days on Seabourn and have just finished our "free" cruise. As far as a good hotel we have used the YMCA - not overly large rooms but comfortable and reasonably priced.

Bill

You don't need a tour in Bangkok. The Seabourn shuttle will drop you off by near the sky train. Take that to the Shangri-La hotel, go to the public dock and buy a full day excursion ticket on the boat. Get off at the Grand Palace and take the free tour of the site (spectacular), walk back to the ferry and take it to the floating garden. 2nd day, take the shuttle into town, go to the Jim Thompson House and take the tour. (A taxi ride is best since it's a looooooooooooong walk). You can shop at the small shop on the premises, or taxi to the main store. If you plan on having something made, there are some excellent shops in the area of the Shangri-La. I'll bet the Maitre D' or Hotel Manager know of some names. The night markets are also fun. Just a note, there is a slight walk from the ferry to the Grand Palace. Not bad unless you have problems walking a block or two. Check a guidebook for Bangkok and decide what you want to see. It is easy to get around with the skytrain. The traffic is so bad, I wouldn't recommend a taxi, but you could do that.

We love the Intercontinental and stay their everytime. Great harbor views and the food is outstanding. The ship is very friendly if you are. We have used Tony-Ann tours in Vietnam and very pleased. Many Seabourn passengers do. About half the price of Seabourn and they are used to having Seabourn passengers. We were very comfortable n a nice SUV while the Seabourn tours were in a van and the passengers said it was miserable as their knees were in their chests...and it's not a short ride!!

Just read your message to crewser10. We are going on the Pride 2/7/10, leaving from Singapore to HK. Cannot decide whether to book tours thru Seabourn or Tony-Ann Tours. Tony wants to be prepaid and also suggests we stay overnight at Sofitel hotel in Hanoi. Prices seem kinda high but uncomfortable van ride doesn't sound appealing. Suggestions? Also, do you recommend trip to Ayutthaya to see ancient ruins? Thanks for any help.

Glopa,

I did tours with Tony-Ann in Viet Nam as well. I believe I only prepaid 50% and paid the rest with a credit card at the beginning of the first tour.

As for Hanoi, if you are arriving the previous evening at Cai Lin I strongly suggest you follow Tony's advice and drive in that night to stay at the Sofitel. There are two Sofitels in Hanoi and you want the Metropole, i believe. It is beautiful and right in the heart of the nicest part of the city. That way you can get up early the next morning and start sightseeing right away instead of wasting three hours of the day driving in. Enjoy!

Hi WEAVO,

We are on the 1-30-10 sailing. We are in Hong Kong for 3 nights. I am interested in buying mahjongg tiles (for the American game - I need 8 jokers or blank tiles that I can use as jokers). Also my husband wants to have a sports coat tailored while we are there. wwchan was recommended - $1000-1500 USD for a suit. Is this the going rate for a good suit?

Susan

Hi Susan

Sorry I have not replied back in the UK for Christmas, and I dont get back to Hong Kong until 24th Jan, not sure where the best place is for the tiles, but will ask around for you and see who knows what.

Also re the suit I have to say that sounds a lot of money, we are lucky as we go over to Shenzhen in China (just a 30 min train ride from H K) even for the best material you would pay max 500 US dollar. But the thing is when you do not have much time to make they charge extra, not much fun being a tourist sometimes, I do not know these people, I know a few people on board and my husband have used 'Stitch Up' which is near to the ship Kowloon side near MacDonalds, they do a good job but again they cost quite a bit, but compared to the States it would seem a good deal.

If you do fancy trying your luck in China let me know it is very easy and you can buy Visas at the border (its the one place in China possible). If you want to go let me know so I can tell you how.

If you need any help on what to do glad to help, but Hong Kong is very safe and easy to get around, just jump in a red taxi its very cheap.

Have fun and hope that you have a great time Angie

Hi Weavo, Hope you had a good holiday season. I found some info on the internet (Mahjong) site that lists several stores - The two that I am looking at (I don't know if they are still in business and at the same location as the info was a couple of years old.)

Wing Shing Cheung

Yem Kwok Hung

Ground Floor

512 Lockhart Road, Hong Kong

and

Ying Fat Cheung

No. 103 Wellington Street, Hong Kong

Thanks for the help. Susan

Hi Weavo, Hope you had a good holiday season. I found some info on the internet (Mahjong) site that lists several stores - The two that I am looking at (I don't know if they are still in business and at the same location as the info was a couple of years old.)

Wing Shing Cheung

Yem Kwok Hung

Ground Floor

512 Lockhart Road, Hong Kong

and

Ying Fat Cheung

No. 103 Wellington Street, Hong Kong

Thanks for the help. Susan

That also sounds like a lot of moey to me for a suit. In Dec 2006 Sailor Boy had a suit made at a tailor shop on Moody road just off of Nathan Road( happened to be very convenient location -- near the shops where I had my pearls restrung and bought a double strand of black pearls!). Over two days he had three fittings. We selected some beautiful super 100's wool and the suit fits him like a glover -- makes all of his other very good suits from Nordtrom's look shabby. We paid about three hundred US dollars for it.can't wait to go back next year and have a sport coat or white dinner jacket made for him.

Hi Chairsin,

Do you know the name of the tailor you used? DH wants a new suit or sports coat but was concerned about the prices at chans. He makes a couple of trips to the USA every year for his customers. So I can see he is probably more expensive than most of the suit makers. My good friend said not to go to the 'yellow suits'. She said they stand outside of the shops and try to get you in to buy.

Archived