Grandeur and chair hogs

referee

My DW and I just returned from a four night cruise to Cozumel on The Granduer OTS. The trip consisted of one seaday one day in Cozumel and one sea day back to Tampa. We love the ship and everything about her.On the second sea day, the weather was a bit overcast, so, we deceided to spend the majority of the day in the solarium.We got there around 9:00 am, found two chairs, spread out our towels and opened our books. About 9;30, two couples came to the solarium, put towels down on the chairs next to us and left. Something made me check my watch. At noon, we went for lunch in the solarium, still no one came back for their "reserved seats"..I'm really getting annoyed. No pool security people showed up. At 2:00 pm, I couldn't take it anymore .I picked up all four towels, and shoes and brought them to the used towel bin... How inconsiderate can these people be !!!!! Besides, I believe they will be out $80 in towel fees..I felt great...

Did any other person ask about the chairs, wanting to use them? If so, I would have told them that they were free---and that the "hog" had simply dropped their stuff off, and left.

If I see empty chairs (with only towels on them), I ask the neighboring folks if anyone is really using them!

My DW and I just returned from a four night cruise to Cozumel on The Granduer OTS. The trip consisted of one seaday one day in Cozumel and one sea day back to Tampa. We love the ship and everything about her.On the second sea day, the weather was a bit overcast, so, we deceided to spend the majority of the day in the solarium.We got there around 9:00 am, found two chairs, spread out our towels and opened our books. About 9;30, two couples came to the solarium, put towels down on the chairs next to us and left. Something made me check my watch. At noon, we went for lunch in the solarium, still no one came back for their "reserved seats"..I'm really getting annoyed. No pool security people showed up. At 2:00 pm, I couldn't take it anymore .I picked up all four towels, and shoes and brought them to the used towel bin... How inconsiderate can these people be !!!!! Besides, I believe they will be out $80 in towel fees..I felt great...

Love it! Wish more would follow your example. I don't understand why pool security can not do a better job. Here's my idea - after suspecting that chairs have been long unattended, they could put an item, like a disk the says pool security, on the towels. After another hour they could remove the towels and the offenders could retrieve them after a scolding on chair hogging, or just pay the $20 each. I think that the tight towel control system used on Grandeur has helped somewhat with this problem.

After 10 cruises chair hogs are a part of cruising. The pool security people have a fine line to draw in the pool when it comes to dealing with them. Do you take way towels when people go to lunch Do you take awy towels when theey put their towel their a t 7:30 in the morning and not show up till 10 am? Do you want to get in a towel fight over this? Ask yourself that most cruisers are very understanding about this issue and only a small group are to blame.

I think that anything more than an hour unattended by anyone is too much. Little kids might play in the pool for more than an hour at a time, but their parents should at least be checking in the claimed seats from time to time.

Does Royal have any statement about the use/saving of deck chairs anywhere? Cruise Compass, Signage around the pool, announcements by the Cruise Director? I don't ever remember seeing or hearing anything about a ship's policy regarding deck chair saving.

PSCruiser, I like that idea, it's more fair to the guests and not too tough for the pool staff. I was on Liberty and there's few shaded chairs other than the solarium where some towels were there for hours, and I KNOW they weren't in the solarium pool that long (it's so tiny you can see everyone) and can't imagine they were in the hot tub that long. I eventually started asking if anyone had been in a seat recently, and just pushed the towel to the foot of the chair. Oddly enough I never met anyone whose towel I moved!

Actually, there was a sign right in front of where we were sitting(clearly visible) that said "no reserving of chairs". As for the shoes, I just wrapped them in the towels and put it all in the used towel bin. I had no problem doing that!!!!!

Wow.

Was it really such an affront to your existence to have someone hogging the chairs .... NEXT TO YOU ... that you decided you needed to be the rule police?

And then you got some sort of odd pleasure out of hiding their things from them.

That's just juvenile. The point of going on a cruise with other people is to be nice and friendly and being helpful. Those chairs became your business exactly ... never.

Actually, there was a sign right in front of where we were sitting(clearly visible) that said "no reserving of chairs". As for the shoes, I just wrapped them in the towels and put it all in the used towel bin. I had no problem doing that!!!!!

Good for you if the seats were the only seats available in the Solarium. Was this the case? :rolleyes:

Seriously!! You had no business throwing away someone else's shoes! or $80 worth of towels.

I could see if you wanted to use the chairs, perhaps MOVING their stuff, but clearly you already had chairs! What is it to you???

Childish, yes. Perhaps borderline criminal!

Shame on you.:mad:

Perhaps it was juvenile, criminal? I think not.. There were so many people looking for seat in the solarium, and asking if someone was sitting there. I just got tired of excusing other people's awful and rude behavior. As I said in my original post, there were no pool police around,and yes, given the same circumstances, I would do it again

Good for you Referee. If more people would do this instead of just "talking about it" the pool hogs would soon get fed up, being in the minority. I believe that you have every right to do this. These "me people" are being totally selfish and inconsiderate of others. My husband has done the same thing in the past, usually after waiting a reasonable amount of time (1 hour) and we have never had any problem. I believe you have to stand up and be counted in life, especially between RIGHT AND WRONG.

Wow... how bold to take someone else's belongings. Who give you, the OP to police the chairs?

Perhaps a better way to play this would be to inform the cruise staff and let them do it.

What you did was reprehensible at best. Just ridiculous.

My husband doesn't steal anybody's belongings. He makes sure that the pool attendant looks after them. If you want to walk around all day looking for a bed and there are plenty of empty beds around that have actually been empty for some time, and you don't do anything about it, go ahead. There is no need to be offensive about it - just stand up for yourself. The people who are being offensive are the ones who are leaving the beds unused with the shoes on them. Who do they think they are!!!!

Perhaps it was juvenile, criminal? I think not.. There were so many people looking for seat in the solarium, and asking if someone was sitting there. I just got tired of excusing other people's awful and rude behavior. As I said in my original post, there were no pool police around,and yes, given the same circumstances, I would do it again
Why didn't you just tell the people who asked that no one had been sitting there in x hours and let them handle the situation? That seems more appropriate to me than taking it upon yourself to become the vigilante pool police.

I find it a little disturbing that not only one member that got some sort of euphoria out of taking someone's belongings ... but the cheerleaders who agree with him. I get the feeling this is the way you spot the folks who will key your car because you parked closer to theirs than the entitlement meter in their head says you should.

Hey Detroit...I can only wish that on your next cruise, that you and your family will be one of those poor souls that will keep walking around the pool area,asking "IS THAT SEAT SAVED"

And your response should be: "no has been there for 2 hours". period. that's the end of it.

I can not believe you are still defending your behavior! You STOLE their belongings!

And I can guarantee you those two couples will think twice before they tie up those chairs for more than 3 hours again........This is the last of my comments about this subject ....I did the right thing and no one can tell me otherwise!!!!!

Archived