What to do in shaoukville

cookie at home

Will be onboard SUN PRINCESS and will arrive in SHANOUKVILLE { Cambodia } 10-JUN-10 7am till 4pm does anyone have suggestions as to what to do / where to go ????? ships tour versus local vendors ...costs etc.

Wander around the market, go to the beach or go to one of the resorts-Beach Club, Reef Resort and the Sokha (which is generally considered the best in town, but sadly lacking compared to hotels in PP or Angkor).

There really isn't a lot to do other than spend time on the beach or go to the market. It is about 4 hours EACH way to the capital, Phnom Penh. So unless you have an overnight, you are stuck in Sihanoukville. Someone was going to start bringing a couple of elephants to town and giving rides, but whether that has happened, I won't know until late January when I make a business trip to Cambodia.

• 1 month later...
It is always very helpful when you visit a foreign place, to know the name of that place.

The locals will respond much better if you can say the name of their city.

A slight spelling error !!!! goodness me :rolleyes: here in Australia we welcome all with a smile regardless of whether our tourists can " speak the lingo " know the name of where they are or whatever :) thank you for your comment ..

Hi,

We took a tuk-tuk into town and then stumbled upon a tuk-tuk driver who had helped with the latest "Lonley Planet" version (he correctly stated the authors name). In any case we stopped for a massage and then he took us past the water treatment plant (a fisherman was casting his net for crabs just down stream) to the beach where we rented a Hobie cat ($10 US per hour), then back into town for a quick walk around the market and back to the ship.

Sad to see the conditions that people live in but enjoyable visit just the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Wander around the market, go to the beach or go to one of the resorts-Beach Club, Reef Resort and the Sokha (which is generally considered the best in town, but sadly lacking compared to hotels in PP or Angkor).

There really isn't a lot to do other than spend time on the beach or go to the market. It is about 4 hours EACH way to the capital, Phnom Penh. So unless you have an overnight, you are stuck in Sihanoukville. Someone was going to start bringing a couple of elephants to town and giving rides, but whether that has happened, I won't know until late January when I make a business trip to Cambodia.

Is the market walking distance from the ship ?? is there anything worth buying or just cheap trinkets ??

Never been to Sihanoukville but will get there on 2/14.

I had been in communication with ANA Internet (Google it) and they have a page dedicated to Sihanoukville - mostly beaches and that sort of thing - typical beach town.

Some of the previous CC types mention a fast trip to Phomh Penh was worth it (even with 8 hours of travel and 2-3 hours in PP).

Happy travels!

From the top of SihanoukVille Mountain, you could see literally hundreds of thousands of fireworks, bursting in the air. (although most were very small). The temperature was a chilling 28 degrees (that's somewhere in the 80's for Americans)

Every hotel room in town was filled up (many at triple price for those without reservations), and beds right on the beach were going for $15.

While I absolutely LOVED the 14 night SE Asia cruise, I must say this was my least favorite port. I took one of the ship tours for 4 hours that circled the area. We did stop at a beach for a brief walk around, but we stayed on the concrete as there were many sand fleas hopping about. If I had a chance to do it again, I would choose the over-land tour to Ankor Wat. I spoke with many people that had an incredible time on that excursion. The port area is a bit seedy.

• 2 weeks later...
Will be onboard SUN PRINCESS and will arrive in SHANOUKVILLE { Cambodia } 10-JUN-10 7am till 4pm does anyone have suggestions as to what to do / where to go ????? ships tour versus local vendors ...costs etc.

Dont worry too much about the name Sihanoukville, its a new name & local youngsters call it Snooky!!

In the main its not Cambodia as you'd expect it, its very much a new beach resort town, where folk come from Phnom Penh for the weekend.

As others have mentioned, PP is not really viable & certainly not worth the drive.

DIY is way best for fun & value.

For town/beaches a tuk-tuk.

We ventured just a little further so hired a minibus/guide at the port, cost about $60 for the vehicle for the day. Went to a beautiful waterfall (drivers will know it) on the way to Ream Nat Park (some wonderful new temples & carvings) and a boat out to an offshore island from near the park entrance (again, driver will know) for an afternoon on its beach. Cant remember cost of boat, mebbe USD 10 tops.

On the way back, a fishing village. Wow, what an eye-opener - the real Cambodia. Don't miss it

One minor snag. We should have berthed, with an 11pm departure, but were told that a broken-down ferry was blocking the berth so we'd have to tender ashore. And using tenders meant last tender back before dusk. Wrecked our plans for an evening ashore. C'est la vie. Then we found out that the ferry had been broken-down & blocking the berth for about a YEAR!!!! Just an example of why Cambodia doesn't figure amongst the "tiger economies". Will it be moved before your visit? Don't hold your breath !!!!

But you'll have a great day

John Bull

Is the market walking distance from the ship ?? is there anything worth buying or just cheap trinkets ??

The markets are not within walking distance (quite far actually), but it should not cost more than a few dollars into town on a tuk tuk if you bargain. In my opinion, not much to buy other than trinkets and knock off watches and purses of poor quality.

Dont worry too much about the name Sihanoukville, its a new name & local youngsters call it Snooky!!

In the main its not Cambodia as you'd expect it, its very much a new beach resort town, where folk come from Phnom Penh for the weekend.

As others have mentioned, PP is not really viable & certainly not worth the drive.

DIY is way best for fun & value.

For town/beaches a tuk-tuk.

We ventured just a little further so hired a minibus/guide at the port, cost about $60 for the vehicle for the day. Went to a beautiful waterfall (drivers will know it) on the way to Ream Nat Park (some wonderful new temples & carvings) and a boat out to an offshore island from near the park entrance (again, driver will know) for an afternoon on its beach. Cant remember cost of boat, mebbe USD 10 tops.

On the way back, a fishing village. Wow, what an eye-opener - the real Cambodia. Don't miss it

One minor snag. We should have berthed, with an 11pm departure, but were told that a broken-down ferry was blocking the berth so we'd have to tender ashore. And using tenders meant last tender back before dusk. Wrecked our plans for an evening ashore. C'est la vie. Then we found out that the ferry had been broken-down & blocking the berth for about a YEAR!!!! Just an example of why Cambodia doesn't figure amongst the "tiger economies". Will it be moved before your visit? Don't hold your breath !!!!

John Bull

Thanks John was the cost of $60 US dollars ?? i am thinking we should get some USD now to put aside as the rate is dropping for the exchange from aussie dollar ..Did you do your tour with others or on your own ?? Do you have to haggle the tour guides for the best price or are prices pretty much set ?? We are in port for i think it is 8hrs is this enough time to go to see the waterfall etc ?? hate to miss the boat lol :o

thanks for the info ........:)

Thanks John was the cost of $60 US dollars ?? i am thinking we should get some USD now to put aside as the rate is dropping for the exchange from aussie dollar ..Did you do your tour with others or on your own ?? Do you have to haggle the tour guides for the best price or are prices pretty much set ?? We are in port for i think it is 8hrs is this enough time to go to see the waterfall etc ?? hate to miss the boat lol :o

thanks for the info ........:)

Every $ I've quoted is US$. Its widely accepted, unlike GBP or AUSD

No prices are set, haggling is expected - though I've seen some pretty rude & blunt haggling by cruisers - no need for that, and it sets the wrong tone. "you're gonna have to help me with your price" or "we're not rich americans" or "you'll need to go lower than that" is fine.

We were just two but always went ashore in a group of 6 to 10, folk we'd met on the ship - that's the way it worked out with our little ship, rather different to the floating hotels where you go ashore en-masse & get into a group quayside.

Your timescale the same as ours, no sweat.

John Bull

You might find the Don Bosco Hotel School some help some help as we did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knowing that Sihanoukville is in its infancy of its tourist development i made contact with the Don Bosco Hotel School.Brother Roberto is the contact, Administrator.

We organized firstly as small personal group of CCers that grew into a group of 100+ of us from the Diamond Princess.

http://www.donboscokhmer.org/index.p...d=13&Itemid=16.

http://www.donboscohotelschool.com/

This was the Schools first venture into creating a local tour.They tried so hard to achieve a great day out for us.We were greeted proffessionaly at the wharf and escourted to our 4 awaiting buses then taken on a local tour of a Temple. Beaches,Headlands,Town,and then finally to the Hotel School.(beware of a extra charge to meet you shipside as opposed to a short walk outside the gate.The school was unaware of this charge untill a day prior)

The Hotel School has 3 training businesses set up for its training purposes.Beach front Cafe,a downtown Coffee Shop and the actual Hotel School.

We visited the Beachfront Cafe,and Hotel School where cleanliness can only be described as immaculate and a oassis in a very disadvantaged community.

The Hotel School became our final stop where we were served a very simple but well done buffet lunch in absolute immaculate clean surroundings accompanied by a local cultural dance group.

The meal was served by a small army of Students all eager to learn and please and in full view of the working kitchen.

I highly recomend contacting the Don Bosco Hotel School for any local Sihanoukville or surrounding tour of any kind that can be tailored for as few as 2 or a 100+ passenger tour. The School has its own 2 mini buses plus they can hire other vehicles

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
...Then we found out that the ferry had been broken-down & blocking the berth for about a YEAR!!!! Just an example of why Cambodia doesn't figure amongst the "tiger economies". Will it be moved before your visit? Don't hold your breath !!!!

John Bull

Stuff like that happens when you are a country that has had more bombs dropped on it (during the Viet-Nam war) than was dropped in all of WW2!

You don't just snap back from something like that.

It has a long way to go.

Smooth sailing...

Stuff like that happens when you are a country that has had more bombs dropped on it (during the Viet-Nam war) than was dropped in all of WW2!

It has a long way to go.

Smooth sailing...

:confused: Are you perhaps confusing Cambodia with Laos? :confused:

Regards

JB

A few more observations -

2,757,941 tons of ordinance were dropped over 230, 516 sorties on 113,713 sites in Cambodia. Over 10 per cent of the bombings appear to have been indiscriminate with 3,580 missions listed as having "unknown" targets. 8238 list no targets at all. The bombings began in the Johnson a administration rather than as many people believe, the Nixon administration. (the bombing database is still incomplete with several dark periods.)

No need to go into detail but the effect on the civil population was to drive them into the arms of an insurgency, then the coup d''etat, then the Kmer Rouge and then we have the genocide.

We met people who were recruited into the Kmer Rouge when they were 10. If they failed to follow orders or tried to escape, they were told their families would be executed.

Those people may be serving you your dinner or guiding you around the towns and historical sites. Memories are that fresh.

So we should expect to see a ferry broken down here or there.

Smooth sailing...

Greatam gave you some really good information.

You can wander around the markets and there are Tuk tuks that will offer to take you to the beach or a visit to a historic site etc. Otherwise there is not much there.

I put a photopage up on Sihanoukville at http://www.loisandbill.info if you wish to get a flavor of it.

Smooth sailing to you.

It has a long way to go.

Smooth sailing...

Hi World-Citizen,

I queried this cos I've frequently come across the "more bombs than WW2" mis-quote in relation to Laos.

A dig around the 'net has confirmed that the same mis-quotes are attributed to Cambodia - and like many unbelievable statistics, are very very misleading.

For both countries the tonnage of bombs exceeded either the total dropped in Europe or the bombs dropped by the US in Europe & Japan. Totally ignoring the Russian front, north Africa, & all the other land and sea theatres of WW2. And ignoring either bombs dropped by axis or other allied forces in Europe, or the bombs dropped in the Pacific front. And of course excluding the destructive power of a couple of atomic bombs and the targetting of WW2 bombs on cities & infrastructure rather than the carpet-bombing of countryside in SE asia.

More important, virtually all the ordnance over Laos & Cambodia was bombs, the comparisons with WW2 ignore the fact that the vast vast bulk of ordnance used in WW2 was artillery, plus all the other tools that man has invented for killing man.

Not wishing to belittle the devastation in Cambodia or Laos, both small countries for so much aggression, but it needs to be kept in perspective & selective comparisons with WW2 are terribly misleading.

I think we can both agree that Pol Pot's regime had a rather more devastating effect than the bombing, the unforseen result of which we also agree gave him the support he needed to take over the country.

But back to the original comment. I really don't see that a broken-down ferry (we're talking mechanical problems, not semi-submerged or anything like that) blocking the only berth suitable for a ship of 20,000 tons for over a year can be put down to bombing which ended 36 years ago or a dictator who died 12 years ago. I think it's got rather more to do with an inept administration, though I don't know if that's at a national or local level. But what I do know is that Cambodia will not move forward as other countries including Vietnam have done if they can't sort out such a comparatively trivial matter.

For the tourist, this lack of progress has its advantages - other countries such as Thailand & Malaysia, just like many many other countries, are losing their identities, with cloned modern cities etc. Cambodia is still in the past, reminded me of SE asia in the '50s, I found the people laid-back & friendly.

Regards

John Bull

Hi World-Citizen,

I queried this cos I've frequently come across the "more bombs than WW2" mis-quote in relation to Laos.

A dig around the 'net has confirmed that the same mis-quotes are attributed to Cambodia - and like many unbelievable statistics, are very very misleading.

For both countries the tonnage of bombs exceeded either the total dropped in Europe or the bombs dropped by the US in Europe & Japan. Totally ignoring the Russian front, north Africa, & all the other land and sea theatres of WW2. And ignoring either bombs dropped by axis or other allied forces in Europe, or the bombs dropped in the Pacific front. And of course excluding the destructive power of a couple of atomic bombs and the targetting of WW2 bombs on cities & infrastructure rather than the carpet-bombing of countryside in SE asia.

More important, virtually all the ordnance over Laos & Cambodia was bombs, the comparisons with WW2 ignore the fact that the vast vast bulk of ordnance used in WW2 was artillery, plus all the other tools that man has invented for killing man.

Not wishing to belittle the devastation in Cambodia or Laos, both small countries for so much aggression, but it needs to be kept in perspective & selective comparisons with WW2 are terribly misleading.

I think we can both agree that Pol Pot's regime had a rather more devastating effect than the bombing, the unforseen result of which we also agree gave him the support he needed to take over the country.

But back to the original comment. I really don't see that a broken-down ferry (we're talking mechanical problems, not semi-submerged or anything like that) blocking the only berth suitable for a ship of 20,000 tons for over a year can be put down to bombing which ended 36 years ago or a dictator who died 12 years ago. I think it's got rather more to do with an inept administration, though I don't know if that's at a national or local level. But what I do know is that Cambodia will not move forward as other countries including Vietnam have done if they can't sort out such a comparatively trivial matter.

For the tourist, this lack of progress has its advantages - other countries such as Thailand & Malaysia, just like many many other countries, are losing their identities, with cloned modern cities etc. Cambodia is still in the past, reminded me of SE asia in the '50s, I found the people laid-back & friendly.

Regards

John Bull

Hello:

We all know that the Yale Centre for International and Area Studies represents a nest of wild-eyed ideologues, super-energized with vaccinations from phonograph needles whose usefulness is spent in the age of The Heritage Foundation, Rush Limbaugh and the Tea Party.;)

Seriously, the bombing was done without the knowledge of the people of the United States (government denial) in an attempt to create an out-of-site out-of-mind foreign policy.

The truth is, Cambodia was perhaps the most heavily bombed country in the history of the world, full stop. (The US didn't drop that much ordinance in WW2.) That is perspetive. Respectfully, artillery fire "don't enter into it". And again, respectfully, everything you say does, in my view, belittle the devastation of the Cambodian people.

The observation that a broken down ferry is the result of inept administration somehow disassociated from this historical catastrophe ...well Mr. Bull, they are lucky to have the broken-down ramshackle public service that they do, overwhelmed by problems of poverty, disease, underdevelopment, non-existing infrastructure, poor expertise and, yes, the specter of the Kmer Rouge.

Smooth sailing...

Hello:

We all know that the Yale Centre for International and Area Studies represents a nest of wild-eyed ideologues, super-energized with vaccinations from phonograph needles whose usefulness is spent in the age of The Heritage Foundation, Rush Limbaugh and the Tea Party.;)

Seriously, the bombing was done without the knowledge of the people of the United States (government denial) in an attempt to create an out-of-site out-of-mind foreign policy.

The truth is, Cambodia was perhaps the most heavily bombed country in the history of the world, full stop. (The US didn't drop that much ordinance in WW2.) That is perspetive. Respectfully, artillery fire "don't enter into it". And again, respectfully, everything you say does, in my view, belittle the devastation of the Cambodian people.

The observation that a broken down ferry is the result of inept administration somehow disassociated from this historical catastrophe ...well Mr. Bull, they are lucky to have the broken-down ramshackle public service that they do, overwhelmed by problems of poverty, disease, underdevelopment, non-existing infrastructure, poor expertise and, yes, the specter of the Kmer Rouge.

Smooth sailing...

So ??????? have you now said enough !!!!! we get the point so how about you give it a rest now. The topic was not about Cambodian history ...most of us are well aware of it and you have kindly emphasized your point now and seem hell bent on having a go at Mr Bull ...:mad:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but you are dragging things way beyond the limit of my original post question !!!

Thank you once again John Bull for answering my post YOUR response & comments were greatly appreciated .

Hello:

Smooth sailing...

So ??????? have you now said enough !!!!! we get the point so how about you give it a rest now. The topic was not about Cambodian history ...most of us are well aware of it and you have kindly emphasized your point now and seem hell bent on having a go at Mr Bull ...:mad:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but you are dragging things way beyond the limit of my original post question !!!

Thank you once again John Bull for answering my post YOUR response & comments were greatly appreciated .

Archived