Violence?

Marie321

DH and I have booked a Mexican Riviera cruise. I asked my sister if she would like to go along, but she said there is far too much violence for her to even consider it. She says some of her students tell her of violence in the coastal towns. I've only heard about violence in the border towns. Are Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan safe for American tourists?

DH and I have booked a Mexican Riviera cruise. I asked my sister if she would like to go along, but she said there is far too much violence for her to even consider it. She says some of her students tell her of violence in the coastal towns. I've only heard about violence in the border towns. Are Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan safe for American tourists?

My dh and I travel down to PV every chance we get, the only time we fear for our safety is when we have to overnight in Vancouver BC in order to catch a early morning flight out to PV. I have girlfriends who travel down to PV on their own thorughout the year .

I walk alone in Pv early mornings and some nights and have never once feared for my safety, I truly can't say that for many of the Canadian and Americans cities I travel to for work and pleasure.

The experts for PV, Cabo and other ports can also speak but *I* truly think you and your sister will be fine :)

We spend up to a month each year in Cabo and have never felt unsafe even at night. Not sure what she is talking about?:confused:

In fact, we are currently looking for a condo there and hope to be living there half the year starting in about 2 years!

You will be more safer in the places on the Mexican Riviera then in many other places in the USA and/or Europe. There are thousands and thousands of tourists staying here for just a few hours, but even more staying for various months.

Of course it is wise to use your common sense.

The reports of violence in Mexico aren't being manufactured - they're underplayed if anything. To suggest Mexico, or this particular region, is safer than where most of us live (if someone were to do such a thing) is a silly assertion, IMO. Relatively few foreigners visiting the Mexican Riviera will find themselves in dangerous situations, though - and the greater risk probably comes from picketpockets than from someone who will do you bodily harm. And, the greater risk will be borne by independent travelers who enjoy exploring off-the-beaten path parts of the port cities without knowing the "lay of the land." "Common sense" isn't an attribute many vacationers exhibit so it's always good to re-think things prior to embarking on a trip, and somehow reminding ourselves to be careful - in any destination - before venturing out. Have a great trip.

The reports of violence in Mexico aren't being manufactured - they're underplayed if anything. To suggest Mexico, or this particular region, is safer than where most of us live (if someone were to do such a thing) is a silly assertion, IMO. Relatively few foreigners visiting the Mexican Riviera will find themselves in dangerous situations, though - and the greater risk probably comes from picketpockets than from someone who will do you bodily harm. And, the greater risk will be borne by independent travelers who enjoy exploring off-the-beaten path parts of the port cities without knowing the "lay of the land." "Common sense" isn't an attribute many vacationers exhibit so it's always good to re-think things prior to embarking on a trip, and somehow reminding ourselves to be careful - in any destination - before venturing out. Have a great trip.

It might be a nice idea to change your name from gomexico into donotgomexico. It seems that you are not willing or able to write anything positive about Mexico. At least I have only seen your negative replies to any question.

I have travelled the world allover, been in many countries, cities etc. and can compare situations for tourists. Of course there are no guarantees anywhere in the world, but the word "common sense" is just that.

Simply said donot walk in dark streets, donot carry unneccessary valuables with you, donot take too much money on you, donot drink too much, know where you are going etc.

By experience I know that unfortunately tourists are robbed, pickpocketed, and sometimes cheated all over the world. "Famous": for that are e.g. Istanbul, Rome, Barcelona, also my hometown Amsterdam. But remember that Miami a few years go was unsafe for tourists in rentalcars. In many US towns there are areas that are very dangerous too.

So..to be safe (and not even there for 100%) better stay at home???????

We are staying for a few months during winter again in Mexico, just like last year. We enjoy it very much, feel at home and safe, realising nothing in life is for sure.

The violence we read about ,here in San Diego, is all drug related.

It is mostly gang vs.gang or gang.vs. police/army.

I haven't heard of tourists being involved AND mostly it seems it's along the border not along the coast that far south.

It is always smart to keep your wits about you when out and about in any city/town in the world!! Street smarts are the same everywhere.

Violence in Mexico is associated with the drug trade (especially along the US-Mexican border) and kidnapping in Mexico City. There is a visible military and police presence in the major tourist destinations intended to make then a safe, fun destination for foreign tourists. The central government is even cracking down on the timeshare industry because their sales staff was getting to aggressive on the streets. They are really dedicated to having you come, relax and SPEND MONEY!

The cruise ships bypass ports where civil unrest, of any type, can pose a threat to their passengers. I have to echo what others have said … You are safer in the tourist areas of Cabo, Mazatlan and Vallarta than you would be in large US cities like, say, Chicago.

Don’t be confused by people that want to use national statistics and imply they are a reflection of what is happening in the cities you are traveling to.

Enjoy!

We will be cruising Mexico for Christmas, and the violence I have heard about is closer to the border towns where the drug traffic into the US is heavy. There is always the option to stay in the ship!

I wouldn't push the sister to go now- if ANYTHING happens, now matter how unlikely, you may never live it down :rolleyes:

I totally agree with you about GOMEXICO... After having read numerous threads I have also observed that whoever this person is, he is very negative about Mexico and in particular the Mexican Riviera. I think it is about time he travels to somewhere else in the world if he appears to dislike it so much.

My wife and I have travelled to the ports in the Mex Riv and found it to be very safe indeed for tourists so much so we are travelling back on the Mariner soon.

Criticism is a good thing HOWEVER all the time is boring???????

I totally agree with you about GOMEXICO... After having read numerous threads I have also observed that whoever this person is, he is very negative about Mexico and in particular the Mexican Riviera. I think it is about time he travels to somewhere else in the world if he appears to dislike it so much.

My wife and I have travelled to the ports in the Mex Riv and found it to be very safe indeed for tourists so much so we are travelling back on the Mariner soon.

Criticism is a good thing HOWEVER all the time is boring???????

+1 about "go"mexico

Violence in Mexico is a big problem in the boarder areas and larger cities. There is some crime in any tourist areas but not necessarily violent.

I take a vacation in Mexico about once every year. Either cruise or all inclusive. The only problems I have heard about in the touristy cities usually happens for one of the following

Those who over drink, or go looking for drugs or prostitution.

Those who don't use common sense with there valuables.

I agree with the other posters. As long as you use common sense you should have no worries.

I find it hard to believe that you think Chicago is safer than Mexico.

I make many trips to the cruise ports in Mexico, and I walk, ride the bus, take taxis, and have had no problems. That said, I use common sense about where and when I venture, same as I do when in the USA.

I would think twice about doing the same in Chicago.

I don't think gomexico was being negative. He didn't say stay our of Mexico, he only said, yes there are some problems in MX just as there are all over and we all need to keep that in mind and be careful, safe travelers. Sounded like good advice to me.

I have been to Mexico over a hundred times. OK only three times on excursions (but going to MR next year so I will double that) the rest was for work and most of it was in Nuveo Laredo which is a border town. Most of the violence is in the border towns and it is really awful. It used to be a good place to go, but now almost no one crosses the border unless they have to.

That being said, as other posters have stated, be smart and you should be OK. I don't agree that you are safer in Mexico than Chicago though.

Many more people visit Chicago than visit the ports on shore excursions and nothing happens to them.

I have been to Mexico over a hundred times. OK only three times on excursions (but going to MR next year so I will double that) the rest was for work and most of it was in Nuveo Laredo which is a border town. Most of the violence is in the border towns and it is really awful. It used to be a good place to go, but now almost no one crosses the border unless they have to.

That being said, as other posters have stated, be smart and you should be OK. I don't agree that you are safer in Mexico than Chicago though.

Many more people visit Chicago than visit the ports on shore excursions and nothing happens to them.

Curious statement. In 2008, 220 American died in all of Mexico from non-natural causes while there were 510 murders in Chicago ... and you don't want to know the number of rapes, robberies, assults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts and arsons.

The original poster asked about violence in three specific tourist destination cities. gomexico (who hales from Chicago) felt the need to take crime data from all of Mexico and imply that data is representative of what all of us would encounter in Cabo, Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta.

Of those 220 Americans that died in Mexico during 2008, one was murdered in Puerto Vallarta as he fought with a burglar that was robbing the condo he was staying in late one night. No other crime related American deaths occurred in Cabo or Mazatlan.

Across Mexico . . . 89 died in vehicle accidents, 24 suicides, 21 drownings, 24 air/marine/other accidents, and 61 were classified as either drug related, execution or homicides.

220 Americans died of non-natural causes across all of Mexico in 2008 and 510 were murdered in CHICAGO during the same time frame. Do you really think it is safer in Chicago then in Mexico? And if you want to answer the original poster's question ... do you really think it is safer to be a tourist in Cabo/Mazatlan/Puerto Vallarta or somebody that lives in or visits Chicago?

Gomexico has been on tons of Mexico related message boards for at least 10 years and is known for spouting off incorrect info like it is fact- I cannot tell you how many people on Thorn Tree, Mexconnect and various other boards have easily discredited him and his "info". So take what he writes with a grain of salt like everyone else does.

To the OP- I've lived in Vallarta for almost eight years. I hail from Las Vegas and Minneapolis and I can tell you a million times over that Vallarta is much more safe than either city I lived in until 2002. I read the crime reports, the statistics of many metropolitan cities in the US and Canada and of course ours- and for having over 350,000 residents and over 2 million tourists each year, our over-all violent crimes are more equal to a city of 80,000 to 100,000 people.

Curious statement. In 2008, 220 American died in all of Mexico from non-natural causes while there were 510 murders in Chicago ... and you don't want to know the number of rapes, robberies, assults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts and arsons.

The original poster asked about violence in three specific tourist destination cities. gomexico (who hales from Chicago) felt the need to take crime data from all of Mexico and imply that data is representative of what all of us would encounter in Cabo, Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta.

Of those 220 Americans that died in Mexico during 2008, one was murdered in Puerto Vallarta as he fought with a burglar that was robbing the condo he was staying in late one night. No other crime related American deaths occurred in Cabo or Mazatlan.

Across Mexico . . . 89 died in vehicle accidents, 24 suicides, 21 drownings, 24 air/marine/other accidents, and 61 were classified as either drug related, execution or homicides.

220 Americans died of non-natural causes across all of Mexico in 2008 and 510 were murdered in CHICAGO during the same time frame. Do you really think it is safer in Chicago then in Mexico? And if you want to answer the original poster's question ... do you really think it is safer to be a tourist in Cabo/Mazatlan/Puerto Vallarta or somebody that lives in or visits Chicago?

OK, MSN, I am not supporting GoMexico but if please don't give out statistics that are not comparable. You make it sound like 220 Americans dying in Mexico is nothing compared to Chicago. But of those 510 murders in Chicago you state, were all the people who were murdered from Chicago or tourists? How many people were murdered in Mexico total? Do you think a bullet will discriminate between a citizen or toursit?

Do you have statistics on how many of the 510 murders in Chicago were tourists? No you don't because that would be a good comparison. If you know where you are going, you are as safe in Chicago and most places in the US. If you go down the wrong street in Chicago or any of the ports of call in Mexico, then you have to worry.

I know the population of Chicago is less then Mexico, but I am responding to someone comparing Chicago to Mexico.

And by the way, I did answer the OP's question, I said most of the violence was in the border towns. And Im sure that "rapes, robberies, assults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts and arsons." never occur in Mexico.

OK, MSN, I am not supporting GoMexico but if please don't give out statistics that are not comparable. You make it sound like 220 Americans dying in Mexico is nothing compared to Chicago. But of those 510 murders in Chicago you state, were all the people who were murdered from Chicago or tourists? How many people were murdered in Mexico total? Do you think a bullet will discriminate between a citizen or toursit?

Do you have statistics on how many of the 510 murders in Chicago were tourists? No you don't because that would be a good comparison. If you know where you are going, you are as safe in Chicago and most places in the US. If you go down the wrong street in Chicago or any of the ports of call in Mexico, then you have to worry.

I know the population of Chicago is less then Mexico, but I am responding to someone comparing Chicago to Mexico.

And by the way, I did answer the OP's question, I said most of the violence was in the border towns. And Im sure that "rapes, robberies, assults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts and arsons." never occur in Mexico.

We have a few board members who like to confuse people with statements base on false data or claims of national trends. gomexico likes to use irrelevant data to advance his own personal agenda (whatever that might be).

The status of a person, tourist or resident, while in any given US city is immaterial when that person is the victim of a violent crime. They just become a statistic.

Way too many people are the victims of media sensationalized reporting of world event. Drug violence, and deaths along the border associated with that business, is reported as if these same events were taking place throughout all of Mexico. I was not attempting to trivialize the deaths of 220 Americans in Mexico last year. I was just putting that statistic into perspective vs. gomexico’s claims. One non-cruise ship American tourist lost his life on the Mexican Riviera last year. That is a statistic and it should only be used to judge the relative safety of a cruise ship passenger when he or she gets off the ship.

Tourists, in the cruise ship ports along the Mexican Riviera, are a pampered/protected class of people. They are not the target of violence. So yes, a bullet will discriminate between a local or a tourist because the bullet will not be present at all.

The typical cruise ship tourist visits a port during daylight hours, travels with other tourist or goes off the beaten path with an organized excursion.

Bottom line … A cruise ship tourist has a greater chance of being the victim of criminal violence (or catching H1N1) in their home city, or traveling to their port of embarkation, than while visiting the established cruise ship destinations on the Mexican Riviera.

MSN, I think we are both trying to say the same thing. I do feel safer at the cruise ports in Mexico than I ever did when I travelled for business. Just like everyone says don't drink the water in Mexico. If you go to a tourist spot you should be fine, but outside of that I would not trust it much.

I think my point was that I do feel safer at home like most people probably do. We know where to go and where not to go.

It is interesting, Nuevo Laredo, where I mostly went for business used to be a pretty big tourist spot. Good food and drink. Many a high school student and working people would stop across the border for some drinks. Now no one goes over the border unless they have to. I doubt that will ever happen in the ports of call since there is no distribution and if this did happen they would just stop going to that port.

... It is interesting, Nuevo Laredo, where I mostly went for business used to be a pretty big tourist spot. Good food and drink. Many a high school student and working people would stop across the border for some drinks. Now no one goes over the border unless they have to. I doubt that will ever happen in the ports of call since there is no distribution and if this did happen they would just stop going to that port.

My first duty assignment, in the early 70's, was at White Sands. We often went across the bridge from El Paso into Juarez and partied hardy until the cows came home. Thirty-five years later and I was on the border again supporting ICE and putting up the Bush barrier wall. Things aren't what they used to be along the border. It's not a friendly place anymore. That is why we escape the snow in Vallarta instead of Harlingen.

Archived