Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

My first was on the Celebrity Zenith in 1993. In 1996 I sailed on a 10 day Southern Caribbean on the Statendam.

Zenith is my first love and Statendam is my second. They were so very similar. Small, cozy and gracious. Tramp that I am I loved them both almost equally.

1969. Franconia to Bermuda with a group of Boy Scouts. "C" deck that cost each of us $78.00. Had to earn our fare. Loved that midnight buffet.

Edited by Ryten

Like a previous poster, my first voyage was on the original Queen Elizabeth. In July of 1968, her final season, we sailed to England – my first visit to a country in which I would eventually study and live for a number of years. Such a magnificent liner. I can close my eyes and feel her now.

Our cabins were on B-Deck, and I remember opening the porthole, sticking out my head and staring down at that great black wall of riveted metal with seawater racing past at the bottom. There were Jaguar sports cars on display in the huge foyer at the top of the 1st class staircase, pure delight to a 15-year-old boy.

I remember much discussion between my parents as to whether we should choose another line for our return voyage (the United States vibrated excessively, we were told, and the France was too modern), so we returned on the Queen, and ran directly into a fierce late summer storm, with rope lines stretching along the public rooms and the North Atlantic washing against our B-Deck portholes.

I've never forgotten the caring attention of the Cunard crew, the stewardesses who helped us through a bout of seasickness, the wonderful dining room waiters (one named Kent, as I recall) who took such care - and an older gentlemen serving tea in the Main Lounge, who asked my brother and me one day, in the most circumspect way, if we were First Class.

Several years later, in Hong Kong, I sailed out on a friend’s boat to view the twisted hulk of what had been the Queen. It broke my heart.

My love affair with ships and the sea, begun in that long ago summer, has never ended, cruising next to Bermuda in the 70s on the Franconia, then encircling the Pacific with Orient Overseas Lines - and continuing on to this day.

What a wonderful story.. Thanks for sharing it with us!

:D

My first cruise was in the late 80's on (at the time) RCCL Song of America. I was single at the time and went with the 'ski club' from my work. I had no expectations except for those I had from 'The Love Boat'. It was all that and more... I sailed RCCL religiously for years introducing friends and family to my joy of cruising. I took a break from cruising then csme back on board with my DH and DD one time in NCL Spirit it was my DH best most relaxing vacation. In 2009 my DH passed aeay. Now I cruise 1 to 2 times a year with DD, other family members and a few times solo. I'm hooked for life!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

Boarding The Epirotiki Line's Jason in St. John New Brunswick was our intro to cruising in 1987.

A passport was required since it did visit the French colony of St. Pierre & Miquelon.

After 7 days, and visiting Nova Scotia, Charlottetown and Quebec City, we ended in Montreal.

Eventually experiencing the Westerdam in the early 90's, we have been hooked on HAL ever since.

Our first cruise was on the Regal Princess to Alaska in 1994 for our 25th anniversary. We took our 2 high school and college age daughters with us. They had their own stateroom and thought they were really something!

Since then we have spent hundreds of days at sea and occasionally take the whole family, even our 2 grandchildren who also love cruising - a family tradition now!

My girlfriend, later my wife, and I sailed on the Sitmar Fairsky (later the Sky Princess) in 1985. That was my first cruise -- 30 cruises ago.

I didn't want to go. I liked hiking (I've done the Grand Canyon rim to rim, but that was in another life). She said, "Try it. You'll like it." So I tried it. To please her. I figured she'd know. She already had 20 or so cruises under her belt.

I'd never seen so much food in my life. Loved the croissants. Many times. No one had told me they were practically all butter, and thereby hangs a tale:

I was thinner in those days, and I liked tight jeans. Once on the ship, however, I took 'em off, hung 'em in the closet and didn't put 'em on again for the duration. On the night before disembarkation, as I'm sure you all know, you put your luggage outside the door and just save the clothes you're going to wear off the ship in the morning. Yep, my tight jeans.

Problem was, I didn't realize I'd gained about 10 pounds. Couldn't get the jeans zipped. Had to get on the plane with my fly open. She thought it was a riot. I didn't, though today I can see the humor.

Moral of the story, according to DW: The sea air shrinks your clothes.

KK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

back in 1984, I was doing work for a Travel Agent and my wife wanted to go on a cruise. I asked her to find me the least expensive, shortest cruise available out of Tampa, FL. I believe it was $99 each for a cruise to Cancun/Cozumel. I was hooked. Have only been on three since then and this will be our fourth, July 20th Statendam Seward to Vancouver

Hoping for many more.

Edited by Bernie and Ert

I was thinner in those days, and I liked tight jeans. Once on the ship, however, I took 'em off, hung 'em in the closet and didn't put 'em on again for the duration. On the night before disembarkation, as I'm sure you all know, you put your luggage outside the door and just save the clothes you're going to wear off the ship in the morning. Yep, my tight jeans.

Problem was, I didn't realize I'd gained about 10 pounds. Couldn't get the jeans zipped. Had to get on the plane with my fly open. She thought it was a riot. I didn't, though today I can see the humor.

Moral of the story, according to DW: The sea air shrinks your clothes.

KK

Thanx for this ... I laughed out loud reading it to myself and again when I was reading aloud to DH !!

They say you never forget your first :p and the Ryndam was the one that won our hearts on our very first cruise - Alaska land and sea.:)

First cruise was an all expense paid South Pacific cruise on the USS Buckner. Not so bad, had to share a cabin with another fellow, and in the officers' club SOMEbody forgot to put the booze aboard. Imagine playing bridge all that time?

So we end up at a great beach and the captain announces that we can go ashore and enjoy a day on the sands. Except, he said, take all your stuff with you so my crew can clean your cabins. We did, then once ashore watched as that darned captain tooted his horn and sailed away. Boy, were we mad.

Good thing we had those rifles, though. You see, this was in September 1966.

First cruise was an all expense paid South Pacific cruise on the USS Buckner. Not so bad, had to share a cabin with another fellow, and in the officers' club SOMEbody forgot to put the booze aboard. Imagine playing bridge all that time?

So we end up at a great beach and the captain announces that we can go ashore and enjoy a day on the sands. Except, he said, take all your stuff with you so my crew can clean your cabins. We did, then once ashore watched as that darned captain tooted his horn and sailed away. Boy, were we mad.

Good thing we had those rifles, though. You see, this was in September 1966.

Andrew, thanks for serving! Semper Fi!

USNavyUSNSSimonBBucknerT-AP-123_zpse3889077.jpg

Laid down, 15 February 1943, as a Maritime Commission type (P2-SE2-R1) hull, under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 681), at Bethlehem-Alameda Shipyard Inc., Alameda, CA.

Launched, 4 June 1944

Commissioned USS Admiral E. W. Eberle (AP-123), 24 January 1945, CAPT. George C. Carlstedt, USCG, in command

During World War II USS Admiral E. W. Eberle (AP-123) served in both the European-Africa-Middle East and Asiatic-Pacific Theaters

Following World War II USS Admiral E. W. Eberle was assigned to Occupation service in the Far East

Decommissioned, 8 May 1946

Transferred to the US Army Transportation Service, circa 1946

Commissioned into Army Transportation Service (ATS) as USAT Admiral E.W. Eberle circa 1946

Renamed USAT General Simon B. Buckner circa 1946

Reacquired by the Navy, 1 March 1950

Assigned to the Military Sea Transport Service (MSTS)

Placed in service as USNS General Simon B. Buckner (T-AP-123)

USNS General Simon B. Buckner was assigned to Occupation service in the Far East

During the Korean War USNS General Simon B. Buckner (T-AP-123) saw service in the war zone from July 1950 to July 1954

During the Vietnam War USNS General Simon B. Buckner (T-AP-123) saw service in the war zone

Placed out of service in 1967

Laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet

Struck from the Naval Register, 20 August 1990

Title Transferred to the Maritime Commission, 14 July 1993

Final Disposition, dismantled in May 1999 at International Shipbreaking Co., Brownsville, TX.

Edited by Copper10-8

My first ship was the S.S. Norway back in 1996. It was a 7 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary. If I had only known then what I know now I would have really savored every second aboard that beautiful ship. I have so many wonderful memories of her...the beautiful Club Internationale, the ridiculously long interior hallways that seemed to stretch for 300 yards, the magnificent view of the bow from the tender. She was sadly dismantled and scrapped a few years ago. I'm honored to have sailed on a true trans-atlantic oceanliner.

Great Thread- my first cruise was back 1983 on board Epirotiki´s Jupiter, she is already at the bottom of the sea after a collison with another ship! I was hooked right then and there- but to young still!

Back in 1997 the first BIG ONE was RCI´s Grandeur of the Seas- in those days she was called " Megaship" ! LOL!

I'm honored to have sailed on a true trans-atlantic oceanliner.

I feel the same way about the first ship I ever sailed on, the S.S. Independence, in the summer of 2000. At 50 years old, I knew she was on borrowed time when I had the privilege of sailing on her, and her last cruise was just over a year later. Long, sad, story short, she eventually ended up at the ship breakers in India.

Two of many things memorable about that seven-day cruise of the Hawaiian Islands:

1) We stood by a stopped and surfaced British submarine off Kauai that appeared to be in distress (smoke visible), at the Coast Guard's request. We were intially unable to make contact with the sub, and apparently the CG had no ships closer than ours in case a rescue was needed. Contact was eventually made, and it was determined that the sub was in no danger, just performing some maintenance that required surfacing.

2) We ended up reversing our scheduled itinerary in attempt to outrun a hurricane that developed; we sailed south of the islands, staying in their lee, while the storm passed north of them. Kudos to the captain, as we didn't miss a port--just saw them in different order!

For those of you not familiar with the Independence, she was the sister to the S.S. Constitution. Both were originally built for the American Export Lines for TA service. You may recall the old "I Love Lucy" episode with Lucy missing her ship and being lowered onboard at sea by helicopter. That ship was the Constitution. She sank off Hawaii years ago while being towed for scrap.

Thanks, Copper, for starting this thread. I have enjoyed (belatedly) reading it :)!

Our very first cruise was on Monarch of the Seas. I didn't know if I would like it or not, so we only booked a 2 night cruise. I was hooked the first night!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My parents took their 3 boys on their 2nd honeymoon.... God Knows why? We were 9, 7, and 6 years old. I remember having guests on board prior to embarkation. The adults were drinking and laughing all the time. For the Sail Away we went to the railing and everyone was throwing confetti and streamers. On the cruise I remember having tea and crumpets on the deck. There was a storm at sea and I remember the pool water having these 5' waves. The Gym had these really cool wooden oar rowing exercise machines. One of the nights my parents let me (the oldest) come to the nightclub on the boat. They were playing a game where the husbands wore diapers over their pants and baby bonnets. They sat on their wives laps and were fed beer from baby bottles. I could not wait till I was a grown up. I think I also won about $100 playing bingo on the boat. I think, us boys, had our own cabin with bunks that pulled down from the wall. Another thing we thought was as cool as can be.

[YOUTUBE]E3PiovfSJA4[/YOUTUBE]

p359449200-5.jpg

Edited by Help@

ms Veendam... August 1999!

It was a Sail with the Stars cruise with the Olsen twins. I was young then :) It was a roundtrip Alaska from Vancouver. We went to Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan. I absolutely loved every minute of it and fell in love with HAL.

I feel the same way about the first ship I ever sailed on, the S.S. Independence, in the summer of 2000. At 50 years old, I knew she was on borrowed time when I had the privilege of sailing on her, and her last cruise was just over a year later. Long, sad, story short, she eventually ended up at the ship breakers in India.

Two of many things memorable about that seven-day cruise of the Hawaiian Islands:

1) We stood by a stopped and surfaced British submarine off Kauai that appeared to be in distress (smoke visible), at the Coast Guard's request. We were intially unable to make contact with the sub, and apparently the CG had no ships closer than ours in case a rescue was needed. Contact was eventually made, and it was determined that the sub was in no danger, just performing some maintenance that required surfacing.

2) We ended up reversing our scheduled itinerary in attempt to outrun a hurricane that developed; we sailed south of the islands, staying in their lee, while the storm passed north of them. Kudos to the captain, as we didn't miss a port--just saw them in different order!

For those of you not familiar with the Independence, she was the sister to the S.S. Constitution. Both were originally built for the American Export Lines for TA service. You may recall the old "I Love Lucy" episode with Lucy missing her ship and being lowered onboard at sea by helicopter. That ship was the Constitution. She sank off Hawaii years ago while being towed for scrap.

Thanks, Copper, for starting this thread. I have enjoyed (belatedly) reading it :)!

I agree. This is my favorite thread. Her sister the USS Constitution was also famous for carrying Grace Kelly and her bridal party over to Europe for her wedding to Prince Ranier.

It's interesting how many of these ships end up sinking while under tow to the breakers. It's like they are choosing their own more dignified end.