Booking with Princess directly & Change in Quality of Service

cruzer225

We sailed on the Crown Princess in October 2009 from Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale. It is not a trip for relaxation. The ports we covered extensively led to that (and I realize people can opt out of tours, getting off the ship, etc.) We should know better but taking transatlantic repositioning cruises are just the opposite. We'll take our next sailing with a mix of sightseeing AND relaxation. This info is mainly for newbie cruisers.

Now onto booking: We've booked our last several cruises directly with the cruise lines. We also do the FCC on Princess and, as Elite (16+) cruisers have noticed that we do not get upgrades. Always got them through national TA's and more than Princess has ever provided. Yet, I always hear stories of lower fares and upgrades...feel somewhat cheated for my loyalty to Princess.

The quality of food service, the lack of accommodation for those who opt not to take advantage of anytime dining, etc. impacted us on our recent cruise. The food was not up to Princess standards unfortunately. Guess that comes with fact that the bottom line keeps the ships moving.

I wonder how cruisers will find the newly launched ships (or those about to be launched) Imagine 5000+ pax. I found the Crown crowded but I believe with the 3200 souls on board and the cold weather until we arrived in Norfolk, no one but a polar bear would appreciate the cold temps on deck. And the layout on the Star is much better than the Crown IMO.

We are planning our next cruise in the Baltics and will be looking at other cruise lines out there and what they offer. Princess needs to keep their food up to an "exceeds expectations" category and their dining staff need to be more cordial. They may take it for granted that they'll get the recommended tip charged to the credit card in advance, but that's faulty thinking on their part. We tipped an amount commensurate with the services we received (or did not receive).

We sailed on the Crown Princess in October 2009 from Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale. It is not a trip for relaxation. The ports we covered extensively led to that (and I realize people can opt out of tours, getting off the ship, etc.) We should know better but taking transatlantic repositioning cruises are just the opposite. We'll take our next sailing with a mix of sightseeing AND relaxation. This info is mainly for newbie cruisers.

Now onto booking: We've booked our last several cruises directly with the cruise lines. We also do the FCC on Princess and, as Elite (16+) cruisers have noticed that we do not get upgrades. Always got them through national TA's and more than Princess has ever provided. Yet, I always hear stories of lower fares and upgrades...feel somewhat cheated for my loyalty to Princess.

The quality of food service, the lack of accommodation for those who opt not to take advantage of anytime dining, etc. impacted us on our recent cruise. The food was not up to Princess standards unfortunately. Guess that comes with fact that the bottom line keeps the ships moving.

I wonder how cruisers will find the newly launched ships (or those about to be launched) Imagine 5000+ pax. I found the Crown crowded but I believe with the 3200 souls on board and the cold weather until we arrived in Norfolk, no one but a polar bear would appreciate the cold temps on deck. And the layout on the Star is much better than the Crown IMO.

We are planning our next cruise in the Baltics and will be looking at other cruise lines out there and what they offer. Princess needs to keep their food up to an "exceeds expectations" category and their dining staff need to be more cordial. They may take it for granted that they'll get the recommended tip charged to the credit card in advance, but that's faulty thinking on their part. We tipped an amount commensurate with the services we received (or did not receive).

We have been on the Tahitian Princess twice in the last 5 months for a total of nearly 10 weeks. We found the service to be excellent and the food was very good. We gave our cabin stewards, waiters and assistant waiters an extra tip beyond the autotip

The quality offood service, the lack of accommodation for those who opt not to take advantage of anytime dining, etc. impacted us on our recent cruise. The food was not up to Princess standards unfortunately. Guess that comes with fact that the bottom line keeps the ships moving.

Upgrades? Get serious. Upgrades are never a given regardless if you are Elite (16+) cruisers or not. We have over 40 Princess cruises and very seldom see an upgrade. What is your definition of an upgrade?

You should read other postings about the food. Food quality is not what it use to be on any cruise line. Anytime dining has nothing to do with service or food. We have done Anytime dining since it has started and always received good to excellent service. TD and AD have the same food.

What do you really mean with 'Guess that comes with fact that the bottom line keeps the ships moving?' Cruise lines are moving ships because fares are very low compare to what they use to be. So, cutbacks are here and more are coming.

We have done most of the Princess fleet and do not see that much difference between the ships layouts. Maybe it was just a cruise you did not enjoy.

What is your point?

cruzer225-Sorry you didn't seem to enjoy your cruise. Not quite sure why you would post twice about the same cruise and your disatisfaction, but that is your choice.

I do hope you find another cruise line that delivers exactly what you are looking for. But I think I would go more towards Regent or Silver Seas and stay away from the main stream cruise lines I see in your signature line. Lots of changes recently in all of them, and an upscale cruise line might be more to your liking. Just remember, you will be paying probably 10X more for that honor, but I am sure you will enjoy your voyage more. Good Luck!

Two threads to slam Princess. While I might find something to agree with you on the vast majority of what you are writing I strongly disagree with you.

I too think you should confine your cruises to Christal, Silver Seas and maybe Regent.

Also you must realize the Star and Crown are essentially the same ship one just has a few hundred more paxs.

Have a great day where ever you go.

Sitmar Fairwind

Regal Princess

Royal Princess

Star Princess

Crown Princess

Not sure of the number on each since my memory needs a defrag.

I also have sailed on Cunard and Celebrity (not listed in my signature) with the rest of the lines I have been on at least 1-6 times each.

I don't feel my comments are derogatory. Like a particular orifice in the human body, opinions are like people: everyone has one!:o

Two threads to slam Princess. While I might find something to agree with you on the vast majority of what you are writing I strongly disagree with you.

I too think you should confine your cruises to Christal, Silver Seas and maybe Regent.

Also you must realize the Star and Crown are essentially the same ship one just has a few hundred more paxs.

Have a great day where ever you go.

I think Seabourne is probably what the OP should book. I understand they have some really good pricing now (which is, of course, relative.)

FYI, why on earth would you book directly with Princess when you could get a much lower rate with a good TA... plus perks? If you saved a whole lot, perhaps your attitude might be adjusted.

Ok - I just realized this is the same poster who posted the tipping question.

I am also confused by this post and am not exactly sure what the point is. Though - I was also on this specific cruise and I have to say it was the strangest cruise I have ever been on. If this was my first introduction to Princess or to cruising, I would never cruise on Princess or any other ship for that matter. This cruise made me question my future bookings with Princess and realizing that if all of there ships are soon to be like the Caribbean/Crown/Ruby Princess type ships - I realize that I will be switching cruise lines.

Sharing a TRAVEL review is one of the original intent of a TRAVEL board, followed by ................

Jack - I hope Princess is stepping up the game on the tipping issue. I am getting my hula hoop ready as well;)

OP -"Yet, I always hear stories of lower fares and upgrades...feel somewhat cheated for my loyalty to Princess."

Now you know not to believe everything you hear or read:eek:. While I find your expectation a bit off "food exceeding expectation" in this day and age, your review was far from derogatory but more on the honest side . As you see that 'type' of feedback is NOT always appreciated or understood. The cruise lines give us options on tipping and in the end we may choose to exercise it differently letting our conscience be our guide. I am Kool and got the point of your review loud and clear, you need to take cruising to the next level, preferably an all inclusive line.

Good Luck!

Ok - I just realized this is the same poster who posted the tipping question.

I am also confused by this post and am not exactly sure what the point is. Though - I was also on this specific cruise and I have to say it was the strangest cruise I have ever been on. If this was my first introduction to Princess or to cruising, I would never cruise on Princess or any other ship for that matter. This cruise made me question my future bookings with Princess and realizing that if all of there ships are soon to be like the Caribbean/Crown/Ruby Princess type ships - I realize that I will be switching cruise lines.

I am so intrigued by your comment that it was the strangest cruise. Please elaborate. And trust me, I am NOT a flamethrower........just very curious.;)

I am so intrigued by your comment that it was the strangest cruise. Please elaborate. And trust me, I am NOT a flamethrower........just very curious.;)

Ginagirl - I wrote a review, if you search my posts you can probably find it. It was just really frustrating for me. It was my first cruise with an additional deck of passengers and no covered pool and it was a cool weather cruise (though the weather with the exception of the first 2 days cooperated and was that of a normal Canada NE cruise). It just felt very crowded to me and I struggled to find a place to sit in the Horizon Court, there were lines for breakfast and lunch in the dining room, the atrium/deck 7 was really congested in the evenings and it was difficult to walk through at times, it was tough to get into any entertainment venue with out showing up an hour before..... Instead of being fun, it just seemed like a lot of work for a cruise. This was a very port intensive trip and I know everyone probably ate breakfast at the same time and that we had Traditional dining so we hitting venues at the same time as a lot of other people but I have done many cold weather cruises before and had not run into this with Princess ever. So many people love this class of ship and I have no desire to return to it due to the crowding issues we encountered. On the other hand, our wait staff in Traditional dining was good, food seemed like typical Princess, I didn't run into any rude staff - they all seemed cheerful to me. If you want to read the long review - just do a search on my name in this section (I didn't put it in the review section).

I actually think true upgrades are quite rare, but they get a lot of attention when they do happen so this may give the impression that they are more common. To the OP, you are certainly entitled to your opinion on the food, service and so on, but please don't let the lack of an upgrade sour you on Princess. I think all the mainstream lines are about the same on this, the percentages are not good. NCL actually has a different approach -- they offer occasional "upsells" where chosen passengers are offered a better category for a price that is less than the posted fares. Even those are few and far between.

Ginagirl - I wrote a review, if you search my posts you can probably find it. It was just really frustrating for me. It was my first cruise with an additional deck of passengers and no covered pool and it was a cool weather cruise (though the weather with the exception of the first 2 days cooperated and was that of a normal Canada NE cruise). It just felt very crowded to me and I struggled to find a place to sit in the Horizon Court, there were lines for breakfast and lunch in the dining room, the atrium/deck 7 was really congested in the evenings and it was difficult to walk through at times, it was tough to get into any entertainment venue with out showing up an hour before..... Instead of being fun, it just seemed like a lot of work for a cruise. This was a very port intensive trip and I know everyone probably ate breakfast at the same time and that we had Traditional dining so we hitting venues at the same time as a lot of other people but I have done many cold weather cruises before and had not run into this with Princess ever. So many people love this class of ship and I have no desire to return to it due to the crowding issues we encountered. On the other hand, our wait staff in Traditional dining was good, food seemed like typical Princess, I didn't run into any rude staff - they all seemed cheerful to me. If you want to read the long review - just do a search on my name in this section (I didn't put it in the review section).

We are long-time Princess and other lines' cruisers who always enjoyed our experiences on every ship, every time. However, I can definitely identify with your recent experience. Things have certainly changed, and I'm sorry to say - not for the better. At one time, we would NEVER have seen some of the poor attitudes we can encounter occasionally on some ships by some personnel. I tend to attribute it to the auto tipping policies. There are always hard-working people and there are always slackers; but when the monetary incentive is removed, the slackers tend to take advantage of that and ultimately ruin it for the exceptional workers. As for the crowds on such large ships, it has become a pain to even try to get a table in the Horizon, get seats for a show or lounge chair by the pool. We don't even bother going to the venues where free champagne or watered-down drinks are being offered. All of this tends to add to the overall dissatisfaction we experience now.

We are and always have been grateful tippers, but to be honest; I am so sorry that the tipping issue has come to this juncture just because there have been past passengers who took advantage of how it used to be. But I still believe good service is insured by rewards EARNED and not given automatically beforehand. That simply removes healthy incentive, making some employees who will, exhibit laziness and/or worse. In these companies corporate greedy desire to boost profits more each year, some idiot came up with the idea that we can make bigger profits with bigger ships. WRONG!!! What they have accomplished is the need to discount tremendously to fill these huge ships, thus diminishing profits. And what I find appalling is that they have effectively diminished their passengers overall enjoyment of the total experience. And believe me when I say even the upscale lines have diminished in quality also. I would gladly pay whatever it costs, fairly I might add, to see the return of the wonderful cruises of the past. But sadly I do believe those days are long gone but most fondly remembered. If and when grats become part and parcel of the fare, there will be even more disappointing experiences in store for cruising public. And there is a great possibility that more slothful employees will look for and expect additional tips just to give adequate service. In any event, this CC forum should remain an outlet where posters should be able to voice their experiences without being attacked by others. There can be much validity to both sides but courtesy should always be evident in all of our dealings with everyone. Once we lose that civility, all is lost.:eek: Coral, thank you for kindly responding to my request regarding your latest experience. I can definitely commiserate after sailing on the Ruby myself.

I was on the Crown Princess in July and overall, thought the food and service were quite good. We didn't have any of the problems that the OP and others had on their cruise. We had late traditional dining and our waitstaff the first couple of nights were very poor and excrutiatingly slow (we walked out at 10:30 without our coffee because we couldn't stand sitting there for another minute). We said something to the Maitre d' and after two nights (of a 12-day cruise), we had a completely new waitstaff for the rest of the cruise who were terrific.

It is about time someone, besides me:), starts writing on the overcrowding conditions on these new ships.

What you posted above I have posted numerous times, mostly bits and pieces not near as comprehensive as yours because some just brush it off. For me the difference between these extra deck things and the space ratio on the rest of the fleet is monumental. I have gone on a crusade on space ration because of these ships. We did the Caribbean Princess 9/18/04, CB as the in crowd calls it. It was a get a way after some remodeling and a new ship so we went without doing much research, and I research everything. Why would I research it was the same as the Grand I thought. Good grief Charlie Brown we were in complete shock. There were 3500 poor soles on that ship and we got stuck on the other side of Cuba in a hurricane. lines every place. We had free internet then but you had to stand in line for an hour. We finally got our cell phone to work on deck. Dining was ok because we always get 1st seating. Lounge shows impossible and can you imagine a crowded art auction?:eek:

That was the first and last time for one of these overcrowded things for us. Never say never but it not our intention to ever sail on one again. We have never been back to FLL since then and we love FLL and Solo's restaurant if it is still there. We were on the The Tahitian a year ago October, Sapphire in April, the Island in August and will be on the Golden in April to Hawaii and maybe the Grand this summer if we can work it out. If they replace these with the extra deck things guess we will be looking.

Again thanks for posting your views.

It is about time someone, besides me:), starts writing on the overcrowding conditions on these new ships.
Jack, I still think that overcrowding depends more on the weather and the CD's planned activities than anything else. We were on the Golden three years ago from Buenos Aires to Santiago and for most of the cruise, it was way too cold to be outside on any open deck and even the covered pool area was unusable. That meant that ALL of the passengers were stuck inside with little to do other than to mill around the Atrium, hog tables in the buffet, etc. The CD (can't remember who it was) was useless; he had very few things planned. When my sister and BIL talked to him at the most-traveled luncheon, he whined that his budget was too small and he didn't know what activities to plan for the mostly South American passengers. It was awful and if that were my first Princess cruise, I would have sworn off Princess. I blessed the day I'd decided to treat myself with a mini-suite as I spent a good deal of my time there... it was way too crowded everywhere else on the ship. Far moreso than any experience I've had on the Caribbean or Crown Princess.

FYI, I agree with you in that the newer ships with no covered pool area should stay strictly in the Caribbean or warm weather areas; they're a poor choice for cruises when it's raining or cold and unfortunately, Princess is redeploying these ships to these itineraries. It'll be interesting to see how the Crown is on my T/A next September when I anticipate it'll be pretty cool most of the time.

Jack, I still think that overcrowding depends more on the weather and the CD's planned activities than anything else. We were on the Golden three years ago from Buenos Aires to Santiago and for most of the cruise, it was way too cold to be outside on any open deck and even the covered pool area was unusable. That meant that ALL of the passengers were stuck inside with little to do other than to mill around the Atrium, hog tables in the buffet, etc. The CD (can't remember who it was) was useless; he had very few things planned. When my sister and BIL talked to him at the most-traveled luncheon, he whined that his budget was too small and he didn't know what activities to plan for the mostly South American passengers. It was awful and if that were my first Princess cruise, I would have sworn off Princess. I blessed the day I'd decided to treat myself with a mini-suite as I spent a good deal of my time there... it was way too crowded everywhere else on the ship. Far moreso than any experience I've had on the Caribbean or Crown Princess.

FYI, I agree with you in that the newer ships with no covered pool area should stay strictly in the Caribbean or warm weather areas; they're a poor choice for cruises when it's raining or cold and unfortunately, Princess is redeploying these ships to these itineraries. It'll be interesting to see how the Crown is on my T/A next September when I anticipate it'll be pretty cool most of the time.

Pam - I have to somewhat respectively disagree. While these ships may work in the Caribbean (not sure, haven't experienced and won't experience it myself) - I have been on cold weather cruises (Canada/NE on the Star and 7 or 8 Alaskan cruises) and have never experienced the crowding and lines I did on the Crown. The temps were the same on the Star as the Crown for the ports that were identical and it was night and day on what it was like on the ship.

I honestly don't think the CD did a bad job on the Crown. There were always tons of activities IMO - it was just they were "inside activities" like my previous cooler weather cruises. These ships should "stay in the Caribbean".

This thread has taken a different direction. Here is the review I wrote about my experience on the Crown if you are interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1097234&highlight=crown+oct

Gertz - I admit, I was somewhat worried about the crowding before taking the cruise but thought because it was so port intensive 13 ports in 15 days that it really wouldn't be an issue. Enough people had posted that the ship wasn't crowded at all so I went with it. I won't do that again.

Pam - I have to somewhat respectively disagree. While these ships may work in the Caribbean (not sure, haven't experienced and won't experience it myself) - I have been on cold weather cruises (Canada/NE on the Star and 7 or 8 Alaskan cruises) and have never experienced the crowding and lines I did on the Crown. The temps were the same on the Star as the Crown for the ports that were identical and it was night and day on what it was like on the ship.

I honestly don't think the CD did a bad job on the Crown. There were always tons of activities IMO - it was just they were "inside activities" like my previous cooler weather cruises. These ships should "stay in the Caribbean".

I think it changes from cruise to cruise, possibly depending on the passenger mix as well as temps and CD. We were on the Crown for 12 days in July and didn't see any crowding even though it was chilly and rainy several of the days. And I agree with you in that these ships should stay in the Caribbean or other warm-weather areas.

I think it changes from cruise to cruise, possibly depending on the passenger mix as well as temps and CD. We were on the Crown for 12 days in July and didn't see any crowding even though it was chilly and rainy several of the days. And I agree with you in that these ships should stay in the Caribbean or other warm-weather areas.

The only thing I can think of is maybe you were in port late in Europe in some of the ports or people were tired from a European itinerary that they didn't go to a lot of the entertainment venues. Just guessing here.

The demographics of this trip were a group of very well traveled people. There were 5 captain circle parties and many people I encountered had been on 100 plus cruises (various lines, not just Princess and not loyal to Princess).

Jack, I still think that overcrowding depends more on the weather and the CD's planned activities than anything else.

Hi Pam your as lovely as ever. We were in the Caribbean not in the hurricane but dodging it along with a whole bunch of other ships. The weather was fine. When there is a line at the art auction it is crowded.

This thread has taken a different direction. Here is the review I wrote about my experience on the Crown if you are interested:

Both of 225's threads should go another direction IMO. But he is the one that actually brought it up. Think I read your review but will go and read it again. Most of the complaints or problems I have read on the extra deck ones are related one way or another to too many people.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1097234&highlight=crown+oct

Gertz - I admit, I was somewhat worried about the crowding before taking the cruise but thought because it was so port intensive 13 ports in 15 days that it really wouldn't be an issue. Enough people had posted that the ship wasn't crowded at all so I went with it. I won't do that again.

I think some, not all, of these people saying that haven't sailed on the say Island/Coral/Sapphire/Diamond, G/G/S or even Ocean/PP which are not our favorites but have wonderful space ratios. And of course I forgot the Sea/Sun/Dawn which are fine also. The difference is immediately noticeable. We wanted to do Canada but will have to wait.

Archived