Oceania Says Its Got News on Marina

editor@cruisecritic

I'd rather have included wine at lunch and dinner than all the Lalique. I have enough of it at home.

I would have much preferred Baccarat to Lalique - with more simple and clean lines (understated elegance) as opposed to Lalique's "over the top" look.

Alas, they didn't consult me;)

marina_shipyard.jpg

Great Picture! She's real! She's a lot further on than I would have thought. I can hardly wait for more.

Even though some of it might be a bit more elegant than my Okeechobee farm house :rolleyes:, and while I may not have a single piece of Lalique, I'm still really looking forward to sailing on her.

I do not have any of either so if anyone has too many pieces they can send them to me.

I prefer Lalique;)

Lyn

Too bad Lyn about your preference,

I only have Baccarats (and Chihulis) - otherwise I would have surely sent you all my Laliques;)

Baccarats are nice also ...any spares :D

Sorry - you had a chance, made the wrong choice:)

Seriously though, I am really looking forward to the Marina. Hope they have some nice new itineraries for her. We'll definitely try her, even though she'll be outfitted with Lalique, for the right itinerary.

We'll definitely try her, even though she'll be outfitted with Lalique, for the right itinerary.

Look at the bright side, Paul, at least Oceania managed to steer clear of the last gasps of Waterford!

What a fiasco, that might have been.

Lalique has had a nautical cachet since it was used extensively in the Normandie of 1935.

300px-Normandie_color.jpgnormandiepanels.jpg

Those former smoking room panels (notice the depiction of tobacco leaves) were and thankfully are Lalique.

Today, they are a part of the Normandie themed specialty restaurant onboard Celebritys' Summit.

laliqueplatenormanidieglybtr017.jpg

Amber glass panels such as these, once lined the dining room walls of the Normandie, and were designed to be softly back-lit.

SS_Normandie_Grande_Salle_%C3%A0_Manger.jpg

Believe it or not, in 1935 the French Line was very proud of the fact that this Dining Room had no windows. Most passengers hated to see the rough North Atlantic, yet claustrophobia was an issue.

So, the ceiling is three decks high, and they sheathed the whole room in opaque glass. It was all a very elegant trompe l'oeil.

It will be interesting to see if the Marina has anything as spectacular....

Have to agree with the majority- the Lalique staircase sounds like it belongs with lots of gilt Louis Quatorze 'precious' furniture. Not what I choose to lounge on in my dockers after a hard day of sightseeing. And why mix that with the much nicer sounding Ralph Lauren room decor? Frank, is it too late to think this one over?

Too bad Lyn about your preference,

I only have Baccarats (and Chihulis) - otherwise I would have surely sent you all my Laliques;)

Thanks Paul for pointing out Chihuly works.

I have seen some of his pieces but I admit I never look at names just at pieces I like. some of his pieces are wonderful.

We collect the poor man's crystal :D .... Swarovski

Lyn

Paulchili, feel free to send me all your spare Chihuly's!

CintiPam,

I will if I find any "spare" ones. Sorry about my misspelling of Chihuly (I wonder how the plural of Chihuly is spelled? - Chihulys? Chihulies?)

PS - Sorry for these OT posts - this is it.

The information I was given about the Marina on a recent cruise with Oceania is as follows: she will begin sailing and the end of 2010, or early 2011. While her itineraries are not yet known, it is likely she will sail in the Carribbean for the first several months. At or about the end of March, her spring/summer itineraries will be made available. The first people to have notice of those itineraries are Oceania Club Members, so you should register on Explore the Ships for the Priority Reservations list if you are not already registered.

All of the staterooms on the Marina will be more spacious, in fact, 50% larger. All will have marble tubs and a separate shower room. The veranda staterooms will be 312 sq. ft., the penthouses, 420 sq ft., the owner's suites 2000 sq ft or larger, with a private elevator, jacuzzi, etc.

There will be 10 restaurants, including four speciality restaurants. The decor will be "modern classic", casual yet elegant. The goal is to keep the same "intimate atmosphere" as on Oceania's current ships.

No information was available, nor perhaps decided, regarding pricing, but the term "affordable luxury" was used.

No information was available, nor perhaps decided, regarding pricing, but the term "affordable luxury" was used.
So Oceania has gone from "upper premium" (with premium meaning Celebrity and HAL) in pricing to "affordable luxury" (with luxury being RSSC). So what is "affordable", and to whom?

Since it's inception in 2003, Oceania Cruises has used the term "affordable luxury" as well as "upper premium" to describe the cruise product it offers.

RickeyCruz5

Quite right. I remember Joe Watters using the exact same term to describe the line and then elaborating "80% of what you get on a luxury line for 60% of the price".

Me thinks he pretty much hit the nail on the head with that.

In regards to pricing, on my last O cruise, they said that the verandas and penthouses would be priced in line with those on the current ships as they will continue to "sell by itinerary, not by hardware". They alluded but did not state that the big suites would be priced above given the great size increase.

So Oceania has gone from "upper premium" (with premium meaning Celebrity and HAL) in pricing to "affordable luxury" (with luxury being RSSC). So what is "affordable", and to whom?

Celebrity and HAL are mass-market cruise lines. Apples and oranges.

"Luxury" includes Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, SilverSeas, etc. "Affordable luxury" is service, food and amenities that approach those lines, but at prices that are affordable primarily because they don't include as much in the price.

Just returned from a lovely river Christmastime river cruise on Avalon, and learned that O will start taking rezies in January. I immediately went to O to see the deck plans so I could make my rez, but there still is nothing so we can see the layout and what type of accommodations we would like.

Any suggestions in this area?

Just returned from a lovely river Christmastime river cruise on Avalon, and learned that O will start taking rezies in January. I immediately went to O to see the deck plans so I could make my rez, but there still is nothing so we can see the layout and what type of accommodations we would like.

Any suggestions in this area?

Yes.

Be patient.

"Luxury" includes Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, SilverSeas, etc. "Affordable luxury" is service, food and amenities that approach those lines, but at prices that are affordable primarily because they don't include as much in the price.
That sounds like a good answer close to the truth. That means you can save some money if you don't want other items included in the "luxury" lines, other than that you pay the same as the "luxury" lines. It is presenting the facts in a very diplomatic way, and we appreciate its skillful honesty .. meow!

On Insignia a few weeks ago, the "Oceania Club Ambassador" said that Marina would open up to Oceania Club Members for booking on Jan 16th - three days before general public bookings. He didn't have any itineraries or ship plans, but said something about the Carribean.

Archived