Balcony Lights on Aft Cabins

SAC69

I had a forward "inside" cabin on Victory. Lots of door-banging noise going out to the not-so-secret deck very early in the morning (which is totally unnecessary; all you have to do is shut the 1 door before opening the 2nd to avoid the wind tunnel).

Out front, on that deck, it is extremely windy, as you might expect.

But it was great to stand and watch us pull into ports!

That itinerary was so tiring (as expected) that about the only things I did on the ship were eat and sleep. Got that cabin (4G) for a 4A price, but the layout was strange. Be careful if booking these. Many are HC modified and the beds do NOT make a king, which is fine for me as I sail with my DD. But the couples may not like that. It didn't have a lot of maneuvering space, and as noted, too much door slamming. The center cabins would probably be a better choice but, again, check the cabin layouts first.

Of course not. Heaven forbid anyone consider anyone other than themselves! :rolleyes:

Don't worry. If someone leaves the light on the balcony and they aren't actually ON the balcony, I'll let someone know. :D

It just seems that there should be plenty of light coming through the cabin windows. Just how bright does it need to be to walk out your door to a chair?

And if you need the lights on for other activities (yuck - wouldn't want to be the people using those deck chairs on the next sailing), then I'm not sure what to think! :p

Just would think it should be possible to enjoy your wonderful, large balcony without having the lights blazing at night.

Maybe for the home video :eek:

I had a forward "inside" cabin on Victory. Lots of door-banging noise going out to the not-so-secret deck very early in the morning (which is totally unnecessary; all you have to do is shut the 1 door before opening the 2nd to avoid the wind tunnel).

As I noted, I'll be all the way on the other end of the ship (aft wrap), BUT I will very likely venture forward to see the stars late at night! And BTW, I am extremely noise-aware (my house is like a funeral home without the music :-) No TV, rarely a radio on. I'll be absolutely certain to NOT bang the doors. :)

Does the Glory have a "secret" deck open to the public? Where is it, if so? I love looking at the stars!

All Carnival ships similar, look at deck plans all the way forward on passenger decks. Find one that looks possible and go there and try the doors. I've found my way out there on every ship I've sailed.

I suspect you can see cruise ships from Jupiter. There is no shortage of lights of all kinds on them.

The immediate bridge area is kept dark so it isn't obvious when they are filming people on their balconies.

Other reasons are for not interfering with surveillance cameras and the ubiquitous backup cameras on cruise ships. One never knows when they might have to parallel park at sea. :D

...........I need it to watch my service dog use her onboard potty and then to clean up after her at night. I didn't realize they would shut my balcony lights off on me!

Try calling the Special Needs Department and let them know what you just shared with us. I am sure they can make special arrangements for you.

I suspect you can see cruise ships from Jupiter. There is no shortage of lights of all kinds on them.

The immediate bridge area is kept dark so it isn't obvious when they are filming people on their balconies.

Other reasons are for not interfering with surveillance cameras and the ubiquitous backup cameras on cruise ships. One never knows when they might have to parallel park at sea. :D

Good ones!:D

I like to go out on my balcony at night to relax and read a book. What would YOU have me do? Turn out the light and use a flashlight to read? NOT. I will use my balcony light. That is why it is on the balcony (to use). But also, I would not leave it on when I am not using the balcony.

I like to go out on my balcony at night to relax and read a book. What would YOU have me do? Turn out the light and use a flashlight to read? NOT. I will use my balcony light. That is why it is on the balcony (to use). But also, I would not leave it on when I am not using the balcony.

You can't read with all that grunting and moaning coming from the next 5 balconies. Who you kiddin'?:eek::p:D

Try calling the Special Needs Department and let them know what you just shared with us. I am sure they can make special arrangements for you.

I don't think they would help, honestly, and it is a safety issue. But, I did order a flashlight I've been wanting to get after hearing about it in a photography seminar I went to a couple months ago, so I'll not only use that on the balcony but also in the future for photography ... and in case of black-outs at home, as our collection of flashlights always seems to be broken or out of batteries when we need them (what is up with that?!). You can use one light on it or two, depending on how bright you need it to be. It is hand-held, not a clip-on, but oh well, at least I know I'm not wasting money on it! It was under $30 anyway.

You could grab a booklight for cheap at the drug store or book store. I have a great one that somebody got me for Christmas a few years ago - it has six LEDs in two sections (three LEDs each) that you can angle out from each other to make the light wide enough to fit a large book or small for a small book. It has two kinds of clips on it (a slide-onto-the-cover/pages type clip and an alligator-style clip on the back that is removeable 'cause it is magnetic) and space to keep two sets of spare batteries (those tiny round silver ones). I wish I knew where one could find it and what it was called, but I love it! I use it at home at night when I don't want to turn the big overhead lights on just to read a book.

But, you can also use your balcony lights if you're out there, of course. :)

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I want to thank all of you who posted in it about the balcony lights being turned off at night! Indeed my balcony lights (deck 7, aft wrap) never functioned, so the strong double-bulb flashlight I brought (thanks to this thread) was required for taking my dog to her potty area at night (not to mention picking up after her and changing the potty pads under the faux grass). If y'all hadn't posted about this, I never would've brought a flashlight and I don't know what I'd have done!! I'm forever grateful!

• 2 years later...
Of course not. Heaven forbid anyone consider anyone other than themselves! :rolleyes:

Yep you're right, heaven forbid you think of anyone other than yourself. How about the passenger with vision issues (my next cruise I will be travelling with two legally blind people, although they do have some vision) and can't see in the dark? Shouldn't they have some say in how their balcony enjoyment is accomplished?

Don't worry. If someone leaves the light on the balcony and they aren't actually ON the balcony, I'll let someone know. :D

It just seems that there should be plenty of light coming through the cabin windows. Just how bright does it need to be to walk out your door to a chair?

And if you need the lights on for other activities (yuck - wouldn't want to be the people using those deck chairs on the next sailing), then I'm not sure what to think! :p

This is totally inappropriate, could be a few people sitting on their balcony playing cards.

Just would think it should be possible to enjoy your wonderful, large balcony without having the lights blazing at night.

Personally, if I spent all my cruise time worrying about what everyone else wanted on their vacation, I'd stay home. It just amazes me that people put so much effort into, attire, lights, smoking, drinking, etc. When do you people have fun!!

I was on another board and saw a thread related to the balcony lights being disabled after dark because is presents a navigation safety issue. Is this true on all ships? I have an aft wrap on the Triumph in March that I would like to enjoy it at night and not have to rely on what cabin light filters out.

Cruised in July on the Spirit. We had an art wrap and the lights worked at all hours of the day, in port or at sea.

Good lord. Why all the snarky comments on EVERY freaking post lately? Maybe the OP had visions of reading on his/her balcony at night? Or is asking for one of a million other reason we have no way of knowing about. Just answer the question and leave the sarcasm, i.e., attempt at being dry/witty/humurous, out of it.

OP, I wish I had an answer for you. I've only had one balcony and honestly can't remember about a light at night. I do know we had a magnificent moon to sit out by. I looked here hoping someone might supply a real answer for you, and anyone else who might have the same question. Good luck getting a real answer here.

I had wanted to read on the balcony while my husband was watching movie in the cabin, but there was no light, and not enough light filtered from inside. That was on Celebrity. I was on Carnival a couple of years ago (not in an aft balcony), but I don't think they had lights, either.

Archived