Packing for Alaskan Cruise

sgmburt

We are going on our first cruise ever and will be going to Alaska next year. All I can think about is how on earth am I going to pack all the clothes we will surely need for such a cold climate? I am concerned about packing warm clothes such as heavy coats, boots, sweat suits and the like. If I pack all these types of clothing, won't I inevitably end up with too many pieces of luggage for the airline? I am clueless as to what we will need to be comfortable. All suggestions welcome....

We are going on our first cruise ever and will be going to Alaska next year. All I can think about is how on earth am I going to pack all the clothes we will surely need for such a cold climate? I am concerned about packing warm clothes such as heavy coats, boots, sweat suits and the like. If I pack all these types of clothing, won't I inevitably end up with too many pieces of luggage for the airline? I am clueless as to what we will need to be comfortable. All suggestions welcome....

Pack light clothing you can layer... Depending what time of year, it may be pleasantly warm. Much of this summer in Alaska was upward of 75-80 degrees.

Example of things you can layer...

Short sleeve shirt

Long sleeve shirt over that

Windbreaker over that

Windbreaker can be rolled up very tiny (and would be the waterproof element (if necessary). Warmer day or warms up later? Tie the long sleeve shirt around your waist if you don't have a bag or backpack. If you do, it will all fit easily.

Don't pack parkas and the sort unless even 60's and 70's are considered arctic in your book. And like you said, it means that many more suitcases

We took the 7-day Explorer cruise from Seattle on the Westerdam on May 17-23 this year. When we sailed away, many of us were in shorts and T-shirts. We had brought mounds of clothing to layer which we never used. Didn't use the parkas we bought as the weather was in the 60s and 70s with plenty of sunshine. We had to buy t-shirts in Juneau and Ketchikan because of the warm weather

We plan on taking the exact same cruise you are on next year, but will still bring layers just in case. We have friends in Juneau who advised us to take the May or early June cruise before the rain season begins.

We did the Alaska cruise in September 2008 and May 2009. You never know what the weather will be. In May we sat on our balcony in shorts it was so warm. In September we were bundled up in our winter coats in the cold, wet rain but loved it. Used their "dam" umbrella many times! (Not sure if they still have those?) I didn't pack boots or sweats-just jeans and layered clothing like "Dutch" said.

It is so beautiful you will love it no matter what kind of weather you have.:)

DH and I have been on a few Alaska cruises and during the majority of them we have had very nice weather, a little rain at times on a couple but the only time it is really cold is when we actually are at the glaciers and out on deck. Even then if the sun is out it can get warm in a hurry. Those who live in warm climates tend to get colder than those who are used to colder weather so having layers does work best. One travel tip that I found helpful is to use those plastic travel bags that you put the clothes in then take out all of the air. I usually just lay down on the bag after sealing it to get the air out and it does save room in the suitcase. I don't take parkas but have taken bulky jackets and this works great. Take a hat, scarf and light gloves but it is not as cold as you would think. You'll enjoy the trip greatly!

As the others said dress in layers. Pants, shoes, socks, T shirt or long sleeve shirt, hoodie, rain coat.

Bring thin gloves for viewing the glacier.

We've gone twice to Alaska. Late June 2007 it was 70'-80s. We were wearing shorts and T-shirts. Same time in 2008 it was in the 40's and rainy. Guess which cruise the kids and DH went snorkeling? Yep, 2008.

Problem was in 2007 we never did see the glacier because of fog. It was as white as this screen. In rainy, cold 2008 Glacier Bay was beautiful.

All great suggestions found posted already. One more I can add is to consider using HAL's laundry packages. In June of 2008, it was $45.00 for unlimited laundry for a week's cruise. Since we had been to AK already in 2006, when we packed WWWWAAAYYYY too many clothes, we came better prepared for the 2008 trip. We packed much, much less and took advantage of the laundry package, sending clothes out each day except the last, and usually, even though it isn't billed at such, was returned later the same day - all folded beautifully and separated by tissue paper in a basket, or hung nicely on hangers. Well worth the cost and kept our luggage to a minimum. Don't forget you will probably be purchasing sourveniers in ports, and if you're anything like us - maybe buying some teeshirts or sweatshirts, so you can wear those as well throughout the cruise. You will truly love Alaska - it is the most amazing destination! Thats why we're headed back for our third cruise on the Amsterdam on May 31st - 14 nights this time. Woo-hoo! Smooth sailing to you, and don't sweat the packing thing, you'll be fine!

Zip lock sells 5 gallon bags that work perfectly as space bags.We always take them and use them especially for our dirty laundry that never seems to pack as well as clean cloths.We are warm weather folks and the only time we were cold was cruising hubbard Glacier.Discovered my Florida winter coat just didn't make it BURR!!!!!!!!!The rest of the time it was warm especially latter in the day .So layer,layer layer.I also always bring a cardigan because some of the area on the ship tend to get chilly while other are warmer,

A point I don't think anyone has mentioned is all the tourist stores in port sell cold weather/rainy weather gear at moderate prices, local logos for souvenirs.

If your closet doesn't have anything rain/wind resistant, consider Frogg Toggs Dri Ducks. Weird name for hoodie+pants, unisex, under $20, which fit into a quart (or smaller) ziploc baggie...only designed for a couple of uses, disposable, you can toss for your return trip. You can find these on eBay.

I scoured many packing lists to come up with a list that worked for us. DH and I each packed a 26 inch suitcase. Both of us also carried a backback. We were on a 7 day cruise and a 9 day independent land tour. We did do laundry on the ship, but if we were not going on a land tour, we would have been okay. Key is layers. Yes, you will hear the stories of those who had wonderful weather. How fortunate they were. Not everyone is that lucky. We cruised mid-June in 2008. 2008 happened to be the year ALaska hit record lows while we were there and had a very cool summer that year. I have lived in Michigan all my life and love winters. I have to say though, that I after my trip, I was just plain tired of being cold. We were gone a total of 18 days and only one day could we go without a jacket. Even that day I was chilly, but determined to not have to wear a jacket. Come prepared for all types of weather and you should be fine. Here is a tidbit from my review regarding things I packed:

Glad I had: Waterproof jacket and shoes, wind pants, fleece pants, silk long underwear, earmuffs, convertible mittens, merino wool socks, wipes, homemade ziploc cover for camera, nightlight, travel alarm clock, power strip, Alaska Cruise Handbook and Map, Milepost, Northern Lights Coupon Book, lanyard, Shout Wipes, backpack, extra rechargeable camera batteries, postage stamps, ginger root capsules, important Alaska phone numbers programmed into my cell phone.

Didn’t need: Hand and foot warmers, clothes pins, ear plugs, eye covers, laundry soap (provided on HAL), sunscreen ;)

Here are a few links with packing ideas:

http://www.alaskacruises.com/what_to_pack.asp

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=612676

We pack light clothing that we can layer. Have never taken boots to Alaska. Water proof shoes work for us.

We have Gortex jackets that are water proof and have zippered linings.

Take a hat and gloves.

Do you have an extra Gortex coat for me?I could wear it over my FLA Winter coat.LOL!

We did an Alaska cruise in September and sweated our butts off in Juneau but it was chilly in Ketchikan. Definitely layer so you can take stuff off if needed. I only wore runners but I'm from Vancouver so a little rain and wet feet don't really bother me. Waterproof shoes or boots are a good idea.

I was definitely thinking about the packing situation all wrong and boy would we have been in trouble! You guys gave the best advice and it is greatly appreciated! We sail May 16th and can hardly wait! First cruise and first trip to Alaska so we are hoping for a great vacation experience!

After a couple of Alaskan cruises I think I can recommend waterPROOF vs water resistant shoes and clothing. These worked very well during a September repo. Fleece is very lightweight and easily packed. Layering has been suggested by most of the posters and it definitely is the way to go. Comfort is far more important than making a fashion statement, especially on a whale watch or nature hike.

Alaska is spectacular and you have chosen your first cruise well. The only problem - both are addictive! Have a great time planning and sailing. If you have not joined the Roll Call for your sailing I urge you to do so. It will enhance your Alaskan experience.

After a couple of Alaskan cruises I think I can recommend waterPROOF vs water resistant shoes and clothing. These worked very well during a September repo. Fleece is very lightweight and easily packed. Layering has been suggested by most of the posters and it definitely is the way to go. Comfort is far more important than making a fashion statement, especially on a whale watch or nature hike.

Alaska is spectacular and you have chosen your first cruise well. The only problem - both are addictive! Have a great time planning and sailing. If you have not joined the Roll Call for your sailing I urge you to do so. It will enhance your Alaskan experience.

What do you mean by Roll Call? This is new to me....

Archived