Louis Vuitton - Singapore vs. Dubai

Hobar

Hi

It really depends on your exchange rate.

IMHO, the USA has the best prices for Louis Vuitton. In Australia, we are ripped off blind for it and the prices that I've seen in the USA make me cry:D as they are so good in comparison.

I was visiting Singapore last year and their LV prices were more expensive than Australia because our dollar was so weak. A couple of years ago, I bought in KL and I saved $50 over the Australian price...really no big deal.

Dubai I don't know because I haven't been there.

I wish I was in the US now because with your weak dollar, I could buy LV cheap to my hearts content:D

Cheers

ging466

1. which has the better selection?

2. Will conversion rate be better in Singapor or Dubai (US Dollars)?

I think both places will be about equal. They have their own stores in four Singapore Locations and three locations in Dubai plus you'll find them in other department stores and certainly both of these places have lots of stores and malls.

On the issue of stores, and not in the price range of Luis Vutton. For silk items for men and women of nice quality and reasonable costs check out Jimmy Thompson. It's largest stores are in Thailand such as Bangkok. But they have a few smaller stores in Singapore. One is located adjacent to other stores at the Raffles Hotel. They have very nice purses that are of silk that fold up very nicely for travel. My wife bought several. They have other nice items for women and also have nice items for men from ties to bow ties to shirts. Also nice items for the house.

Keith

Where LV is concerned, as with many lux brands, you will find very little variation in price, only a small amount and I mean small compared to the prices of these things, because of the exchange rate.

These luxury brand companies aim for their prices to be virtually the same worldwide.

Many years ago, when we visited Dubai, we had dreams of picking up such items cheaply, less tax etc, but in reality this was not the case, apart from the excellent selection in Dubai, choice was the only benefit over buying elsewhere!

Thanks all, for the responses. i find that the conversion is minimal, but less 9% tax in Arizona and the VAT i get back, i do save some -- but i think it's more fun to think that, hey, i got that in Marbella, or Cannes, or Hong Kong, etc. And to curb my penchant for buying LVs, I save the purchases for my annual Eurpoean / Asian, etc trips. On the Hermes bag, I am fine with the one I have, which took my hubby 6 months on a waiting list to get. But the LVs change and I like variety on those. With the weak American dollar, I don't really save anyting buying abroad, and my European friends love coming here an take advantage of our weak dollar.

I think both places will be about equal. They have their own stores in four Singapore Locations and three locations in Dubai plus you'll find them in other department stores and certainly both of these places have lots of stores and malls.

On the issue of stores, and not in the price range of Luis Vutton. For silk items for men and women of nice quality and reasonable costs check out Jimmy Thompson. It's largest stores are in Thailand such as Bangkok. But they have a few smaller stores in Singapore. One is located adjacent to other stores at the Raffles Hotel. They have very nice purses that are of silk that fold up very nicely for travel. My wife bought several. They have other nice items for women and also have nice items for men from ties to bow ties to shirts. Also nice items for the house.

Keith

Thanks for the tip, Keith! We will be in Bangkok in October.

chicagogal. You are very welcome.

Here is the web site for Jim Thompson.

http://www.jim-thompson.com/

If you click on retail shop it will give you the locations. Some are small such as ones in the various hotels and others are quite large. There are a couple of large ones including one at the Jim Thompson House and Museum. There was one that was not too far from the Oriental Hotel. We took the hotels rivers boat over to an area where we got the sky train and then to the mall where the store was located.

We do not usually pick up many items on trips and spend very little time shopping. But we had a lot of sucess here between several of these purses for my wife (again very resasonably priced silk purses with the advantage that they are light and fold easy for packing in luggage), some tops for my wife and several ties for me. They have many other silk items as well.

Keith

Archived