Computer use question - not internet access

NCTribeFan

OK, so the taxi will be here in 3 hours. I thought of something last night, while lying in bed, trying to relax and sleep. :p

I never take a laptop or get the internet package because I have no need nor desire to stay in touch with anyone while I'm cruising. I cruise to get to wonderful ports and to relax on sea days.

BUT, DD's camera died last May while we were in Barbados (I think it got damp while we were on the Harrison's Cave tour). Anyway, I wanted her to bring the memory card out of her camera, so we would have a spare.

She forgot to do that and I'm not going to go to the store to buy another one this morning.

Here's my question. If I take a memory key, is it possible to use a computer to upload my pics from my camera using the USB cord, then download them to the USB key?

That way, I could take lots of photos and not have to worry about running out of memory. I would lock the USB key in the safe to be sure I didn't lose it!

Do the computers in the internet cafe even have USB ports?

OK, so the taxi will be here in 3 hours. I thought of something last night, while lying in bed, trying to relax and sleep. :p

I never take a laptop or get the internet package because I have no need nor desire to stay in touch with anyone while I'm cruising. I cruise to get to wonderful ports and to relax on sea days.

BUT, DD's camera died last May while we were in Barbados (I think it got damp while we were on the Harrison's Cave tour). Anyway, I wanted her to bring the memory card out of her camera, so we would have a spare.

She forgot to do that and I'm not going to go to the store to buy another one this morning.

Here's my question. If I take a memory key, is it possible to use a computer to upload my pics from my camera using the USB cord, then download them to the USB key?

That way, I could take lots of photos and not have to worry about running out of memory. I would lock the USB key in the safe to be sure I didn't lose it!

Do the computers in the internet cafe even have USB ports?

The Destiny had the USB ports on the PC's but we brought our own laptop and only used it to download pics from our camera everyday. It worked out perfect! We took well over 5000 pic's!!!

I do know the computers on Liberty have USB ports. I would assume they all do.

My mother brought the camera charger that goes to the USB port, not the one for the electrical outlet.

Anyway....I went to the purser and he called the computer guy and they charged my mom's camera. Not sure if they always will do that, or if they'll do it for pics.

This one has a recharging cradle. It has one cord that is just for the power to recharge, and then it has the USB cord to plug into the computer to upload pics.

I'll take the key with me and check it out when we board. If it looks like I can use one of their computers (for free!), I'll give it a try and adjust the number of photos I take accordingly.

I've noticed that the system (tower) on Carnivals systems is usually locked away, so that you can't access any USB port. (I'm sure they don't want anyone messing around with their systems, and if you can't load your pictures, you'll go to the photo shop and pay them to do it.) This may not be absolutely true on all ships, but the ones I've noticed are that way.

"SKY"

The computers on every Carnival ship I've been on have been 'thin client' machines. That means they have no hard drive, no optical drive, etc. They're meant primarily to be a terminal for web access and little else.

Even those are pretty much inaccessible so I'd be really concerned about relying on that to transfer images.

As was mentioned above, there generally are kiosks or machines available to transfer images to CD but at 700 megs of capacity that's not a lot of images for newer cameras that have 8, 10 or 12 megapixel image sensors...

:)

I did take my laptop, but did not once get on the net with it. I used it to keep track of photos (moving photos daily from my camera to laptop) and also to keep a daily blog. I kept it off line and then when I got hope it was easy to just upload it to the net (you can see the results by clicking on the link in my signature).

The Destiny had the USB ports on the PC's but we brought our own laptop and only used it to download pics from our camera everyday. It worked out perfect! We took well over 5000 pic's!!!

WHAT?????

Did you see anything without looking through the viewfinder??:D:D

I travel with a Laptop everywhere, so I would not use one of these but a friend that goes a little deeper in to the third world than I do uses a portable SD card backup device and loves it. Do a search for "Digital Foci Photo Safe II"

Archived