Has anyone brought a telescope on board?

cruisinreunion

We are bringing our three kids, 15,12, 10 on a Bermuda cruise this spring and I was thinking that stargazing at night would be really great. My oldest daughter is into astronomy and has a really great telescope. We are driving to the port, so no issues with airline luggage but was wondering if we could even bring the telescope on board with us. Has anyone ever done so? Is there too much light from the ship? Is there anyplace to stargaze?:) thanks for any information and advice

You should not have a problem bringing it aboard. The problem might be finding a good spot to use it - free of the ambient light from the ship. If there is an open deck forward of the bridge - possibly one or two levels below, it should work - such areas are not lit at night so as to preserve night vision of bridge personnel. Most other upper decks are pretty well lit at night.

Ooops, reread your note and saw about Bermuda. Which ship?

We've had a bit of luck finding darker places on some cruise ships as suggested above, but have had even better luck when there was an officer on board who also loved astronomy. Ask when you get on board and keep asking.

You will have deck vibration, but having your own telescope and encouraging your daughter's interest is better than not doing so.

I've written a letter (once on board) to the captain and requested a viewing opportunity. Be prepared to wear a jacket if the ship is moving rapidly as there will be a wind chill issue even if it is only a few degrees.

It is certainly worth a try in any case. You might be able to link up with a ship's employee who has a keen interest.

I doubt it would work, with all the movement you really couldn't zero in on anything. There is alot of ambient light on a cruise ship.

A telescope requires a stationary platform.. bring binoculers.. they move with you, and you can see loads of stuff.

Enjoy your cruise!

Totally agree, binoculars or hand held scopes are ok, but tripoded scopes, too much movement. Not only vibration, but even the biggest ships in the calmest of waters will still roll. Last time I was on QM2, after visiting the planetarium, the had a couple of night time shows up on deck 12 for star gazing, unfortunately I never got to them, there was some good shos on:(

I doubt it would work, with all the movement you really couldn't zero in on anything. There is alot of ambient light on a cruise ship.

A telescope requires a stationary platform.. bring binoculers.. they move with you, and you can see loads of stuff.

Enjoy your cruise!

Exactly

I have tried both, and telescope does not work, too much movement.

There is also way more light than you would think with either but good Binocs work best. Good for daytime viewing as well and easier transport.

Also remember there is often MIST or fog at sea so skies are not as great as one would assume.

I wonder if you might not be able to build on your daughter's interest by focusing on celestial navagation, thereby tying her interest into your vacation on the water.

Perhaps an officer or crew member could be persuaded to talk with her about it?

There's an interesting on-line resource to get the basics here: http://www.celnav.de/

I wonder if you might not be able to build on your daughter's interest by focusing on celestial navagation, thereby tying her interest into your vacation on the water.

Perhaps an officer or crew member could be persuaded to talk with her about it?

There's an interesting on-line resource to get the basics here: http://www.celnav.de/

interesting link!

we have used low power spotting scopes in Alaska for wildlife watching...very difficult to use, even when the ship is moving very slowly (glacier bay). I agree that a higher powered astronomic telescope would be impossible.

OTOH, stargazing through binoculars can be fantastic!!!

I have a pair of 10x canon stabalized binoculors. They do a a great job of getting rid of the ships vibration.

I'm not much into to astronomy, but I have been able to see the 4 large moons of Jupiter changing positions around the planet with the Canon.

Aloha,

John

I agree--toooooo much movement for a telescope....it's hard on solid land to keep what you're viewing in the field of sight....(the earth is moving pretty fast!) and on a ship..no way.

Bring decent binoculars....hopefully you'll have clear skies...we've always had stringy clouds that periodically obscure the view.

Don't lug a telescope!

Thanks everyone for the advice! I had thought of her binoculars before but was thinking the telescope would work. We are overnight for three nights in Bermuda, so the movement wouldn't be an issue on those nights but the light is the big issue. We will be on the NCL Dawn, wich we have never sailed on, so not sure about the deck situations. I think I will talk to the officers when we get there to see if there is anyone on board with her same intererests. I remember on our honeymoon cruise on the RCCL Majesty of the Seas, we actually had a Stargazing one night, as a ship activity, for which they actually shut the lights off on the back of the boat for us, and provided everyone with star charts. Was very cool, but also many years ago. We have cruised several times since then, on on several different lines, and never saw anything offered like that again.

I guess her binoculars are coming with us!!!;)

Archived