Dressing on Royal Caribbean

Sailfish

I will be sailing on the Radiance of the Seas on January 2, 2010; it's been a while since we last cruised with Royal Caribbean. A few years ago, I noticed that passengers relaxed the dress code on our last cruise with Royal Caribbean compared to Princess, where I found I dressed up more at dinner. I'd love to get some input, as I am trying to sort through my clothes. I am not talking about formal nights - I know what to take.

On the surface, it appears the dress code is pretty much the same across the board with most mass market cruise lines. But having it on paper is not the same as in real life. With a cruise coming up in less than a month, I was wondering how I should pack; nicer outfits or dresses at dinner, or a more casual approach with capri pants and tops. What would you pack for a cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship?

Thanks.

Suzi

Don't know if this will help but I'll tell you how I packed for Royal Caribbean....nicer outfit or dresses for dinner. Matter of fact, I wore dresses or skirts every night which I even do on one of the more casual lines. :)

That being said, you will see a mixture of everything but I did not see anyone that was a total slob.

I cruised on Radiance this past October, just a 5 night cruise and am in the process of packing today for a cruise next week on RCI Mariner.

For evening, I pack black (or ivory) slacks and two nice tops, formal wear and a couple jersey dresses. I may pack a nice pair of trouser style jeans (even though I have been told they are "out of style"), I still like them with a nice blouse.

I think that you will be fine either way. Perhaps dress nicer on the casual nights in the middle, more casual first and last night...that's my plan.

In reality, you will see all types of people on cruise ships. That some choose to dress too casual is their choice. I don't think we need to compromise our own selves because others choose to dress down.

You sound like you care what you look like and how you present yourself to the world, which to me is a great thing. And...I feel there is a possibility that others may admire the way you look and try to dress nicer themselves the next time around as well. Dressing well could catch on ;):)

I will be sailing on the Radiance of the Seas on January 2, 2010; it's been a while since we last cruised with Royal Caribbean. A few years ago, I noticed that passengers relaxed the dress code on our last cruise with Royal Caribbean compared to Princess, where I found I dressed up more at dinner. I'd love to get some input, as I am trying to sort through my clothes. I am not talking about formal nights - I know what to take.

On the surface, it appears the dress code is pretty much the same across the board with most mass market cruise lines. But having it on paper is not the same as in real life. With a cruise coming up in less than a month, I was wondering how I should pack; nicer outfits or dresses at dinner, or a more casual approach with capri pants and tops. What would you pack for a cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship?

Thanks.

Suzi

When I cruise RCCL, I wear nice outfits to dinner, sundresses, nice capris, etc. I also dress formal on formal nights. I don't like that other passengers disregard the dress code. I believe it cheapens the experience of others.

When I cruise RCCL, I wear nice outfits to dinner, sundresses, nice capris, etc. I also dress formal on formal nights. I don't like that other passengers disregard the dress code. I believe it cheapens the experience of others.

For better or worse, I like to dress the norm. I went on a short Carnival Cruise out of Los Angeles, and felt very over dressed - with the exception of formal night, people generally dressed very casually at night. All my outfits were on the dressy side. You might not have minded, but I certainly felt a little out of place.

Since then, I have cruised with Celebrity and Princess; both cruise lines had people in the evenings dress up more on non-formal nights - much more so than with Carnival. Since it's been a while we cruised with Royal Caribbean, I wanted to see who has cruised with them lately and could tell me how people were dressing in the evenings. From what I could tell at the message boards, it's more casual than Princess or Celebrity, but maybe not as much as Carnival.

We've sailed RCI more than we've sailed other lines, and I tend to dress casually, yet pulled together and neat. I've actually even worn my jean jacket to the DR with a nice skirt and top - I think it looked fine and no one looked sideways at me. Everything mentioned in this thread is a go on RCI - capris, skirts, sundresses, etc. You will look wonderful! Enjoy your cruise. :)

We've sailed RCI more than we've sailed other lines, and I tend to dress casually, yet pulled together and neat. I've actually even worn my jean jacket to the DR with a nice skirt and top - I think it looked fine and no one looked sideways at me. Everything mentioned in this thread is a go on RCI - capris, skirts, sundresses, etc. You will look wonderful! Enjoy your cruise. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I will take my two formal outfits, but leave my more dressy clothes at home and focus on nice resort wear for the rest of the cruise. It sounds like I can dress like we did in Hawaii - a tad more laid back even in the better restaurants was the norm.

Archived