Another driving vs flying

All along I have been gung ho about driving to MIA as we will be spending an additional few days in FL after the cruise. I created a spreadsheet this morning and by the time you figure in an extra night's lodging, meals / snacks along the way, parking and fuel compared to airfare, a rental car and gas post cruise etc. the numbers balanced to the exact amount.. literally.

Our concerns about flying are loss of luggage. Last time we flew we lost a bag and didn't get it back for 3 days. not really sure how that works if you're at sea but it invovled us driving into Newark airport at the UPS hub to pick it up as they didn't deliver on Saturdays... and it would have been Monday before we got it.

I'm not crazy about flying either. I go into a mini panic attack until we get off of the ground and then start to calm down... maybe Xanax ;)

Also not thrilled about putting 3k+ miles on the car and the risk of car trouble / traffic / accidents delaying our arrival is real.

The biggest pro about flying is we won't be exhausted from the road.

Now I just wish Southwest would open booking past 5/7/10 as our cruise date is 5/23. I need to verify prices but I'm guessing it'll be around $500 total.

The drive TO the cruise isn't the main problem...it's the driving home....that's a looooong way!

When we fly, I "cross-pack"---something of everyone's in every bag, just in case something goes on vacation by itself! That way, everyone has SOMETHING!

And, if you fly a day ahead, you'll have some time to locate any missing bags (if they even go missing!!!)

I vote for flying...that drive will be a killer.

I think we are going to fly. I found transport through SAS, waiting on a quote now... and I fell in love with the pictures of The Clay hotel, I hope it's as nice in person. We will get in the day before, hopefully by noon. Get our bags dropped off at the hotel and then probably just hit the beach or roam around the area.

I'm driving to Savannah GA in a few weeks and to Boston and back in March and probably again later in the year PLUS a drive the New Orleans and Denver at some point... might as well take it easy for this one!

Also, the drive there would be tough. We are getting married on 5/21. Cruise is on 5/23 so we were planning to leave right after the wedding / reception and hit the road. We will have been up ALL day and out late the night before. I cannot drink so that was not a concern for me but it would have been rough coming AND going!

http://www.ridesas.com/html/reservations.html

http://www.clayhotel.com/

Looks like Southwest opens up for summer booking tomorrow... so I can get an idea of how much that's going to cost and plan accordingly.

I'm being told that we (are) might be spending a day at Disney World after the cruise. I said I would like to play that by ear, no telling how tired we will be after the cruise... She said she does not care, she wants to go :|

Definitely after a wedding flying is easier. If I could offer you some suggestions. Plan your flight for the 22nd. Too much stress to go to airport and the alter! SWA often has a sale (each quarter) and sometimes will go to as low as $59 for each leg of trip. If you want to go to Disney World jump on SWA from Fort Lauderdale to MCO (Orlando) and request the transfer service to Disney hotel (It really is fun to stay on property and you have transportation around the world). Stay as long as you can then fly MCO to home airport. I would also recommend waiting a bit to book your Southwest. No real advantage to booking so far out. Your credit card is charged immediately and you can not cancel and rebook a cheaper fare. Sign up for rapid rewards and sale announcements online and book when you see the SALE sign!

Congrads on your wedding. Awesome honeymoon.

Thanks, we are planning to fly on the 22ND, wedding on the 21st. I'm going to book a hotel near the airport and just have a shuttle run us over in the morning. I want to catch an early flight and don't want to mess with parking.

After the cruise we have plans in FL so we will drive from the Miami port to Disney and then probably a day split between Daytona Beach and St. Augestine and then fly home from JAX.

Thanks for the ideas though!

Have done this very route. Be aware that it is about a 4 hour drive from Miami to Orlando (maybe more getting out at the port). Orlando to St. Augustine over 2 hours and St Augustine to JAX is longer than you think because airport is on the west side. The state of Florida just keeps going and going and going. Lots of toll roads in both the Miami and Orlando areas. Definitely will want the Sun Pass and this bill will come in 3-4 weeks after you turn in the rental car. Lots of people fuss but that is the way the Sun Pass works and you definitely don't want to wait to pay tolls with exact change. Parking in St. Augustine (we were there Sat. night) was awful! Are you aware that you have to pay parking at Disney World if you do not stay on property? Check out the price to drive to Orlando and you might be cheaper flying SWA (I have done both in the last year -- depends on what we want to do. )Have a great one.

Well, this past summer we were going to spend some time in St. A but we got stuck on 95 out of Savannah. It took us a little over 4 hours to get from Savannah to Jacksonville, a 90 minute drive. That cut our day VERY short so going back is something I want to do. My bride to be grew up on the gulf coast so we will want to zip through there on our way up. The route we will take, from Fort L to Orlando is actually closer to 8 hours but I LOVE driving and hate flying so that's A OK with me... and it'll be broken up pretty nicely too.

I have stayed at Clay. 2-3 nights better; its best buy on the beach. Nice Italian restaurant across the street a block or little more away. French bakery with good breakfast pasteries same area. Beach 2 blks, do the beach walk. Good Starbucks on Ocean Drive/ 15th by beachwalk. Enjoy.

Archived