Regent Arranged Flight Denver to Vancouver

colomom

I have been reading so many posts that suggest arriving in your departure city a day early because of lost luggage, delays, stress, etc.

My TA offered to book us a hotel room but I declined. Now I am having second thoughts...

My question is about your experiences with Regent arranged flights. Any lost luggage stories? What airline did Regent book you on? What time was your flight if it arrived the same day you sailed? How were you picked up at the airport on arrival? If I do ask to get in a day early do I have to stay where Regent suggests?

What's your best advice?

TIA

BTW, I am not as concerned about flying home on disembarking day. Should I be?

It sounds like your TA isn't familiar with Regent. That makes it more difficult for you when they should be making it easier.

Regent typically uses "Star Alliance" members for their flights (United, etc.) If they cannot get your destination by 1:00 p.m. (Vancouver), Regent will put you up in a hotel at their expense.

I did a quick look at flights from Denver to Vancouver and most of them arrive at night, so, it is likely that they will put you in a hotel.

If you want to book yourself into a hotel a day early, you will have to pay a $100.00 per person deviation fee and will lose your transfer to the ship. You can then chose your own flights. OR (more options)

You can opt out of Regent's air -- receive a credit and book the whole thing yourself.

Although we have not lost luggage on flights Regent has booked (knock on wood) it can happen -- on any airline. As long as you have enough time between flights, you should be fine.

While a lot of people want to book their own flights, we prefer to let Regent take care of us. We want them to take us to and from the ship - take care of a hotel if it is necessary, etc. In Athens last year, Regent put us up (their expense) at a beautiful hotel overnight because we could not get home the day of debarkation.

Hope this helps:)

We have used Regent air and Regent booked hotels in the past. We have been satisfied with the Regent air and paid the deviation fee to arrive a day early. When we were using Regent hotels, the transfers to the hotel and ship were still included. However, Regent seems to have changed their pricing on the hotels they offer. They now seem to price the hotels at about 2-3 times what you could book them yourself with the hotel. If you don't pay attention, you can be fooled because they quote the price per person not per room and if you and your TA are not watching, you can be caught:mad:.

Coloman,

United code shared with Air Canada does have a morning non-stop from Denver to Vancouver which will get you there in plenty of time. Leaves about 8:30 AM and gets into Vancouver at 10:23 so if TC is correct about Star Alliance being preferred by Regent, my money is on you being on that flight. Did not see any other non stops or connections arriving before noon.

My guess is that Regent won't want to have to pay for a room with such a convenient and inexpensive flight. Another consideration is they might fly you into Seattle and bus you up to Vancouver. With only the one morning flight into Vancouver, even going out the day before then having your luggage go astray, you only have the one flight to get it to the ship on time.

Personally, would not be too concerned about a non-stop; most luggage losses come on missed connections. As TC described, taking a deviation will cost you a minimum of the $100 deviation fee plus hotel at least $150 and transfers for around $40 so you are looking in the neighborhood of $300 to arrive the nite before.

Only you and your significant other can determine the risk you are taking vs. the dollars you need to spend to alleviate the risk and you can't alleviate the whole risk in any case.

Great information all...thank you. I agree with TC2 that we should let Regent handle it and if we are on the flight rallydave mentioned that sounds perfect. I definitely do not want to be bused to Vancouver but it won't ruin the trip. I will avoid any additional cost this way as well.

Also I agree mikeIam, the price of the hotel my TA quoted seemed really high. I am going to come straight home too, I will be missing my kids. No hotel in Seward/Anchorage either.

Now I need to decide if the train from Seward to Anchorage is worth the extra $$ or is the "Motorcoach" sufficent (hopefully comfortable).

We have used Regent air and Regent booked hotels in the past. We have been satisfied with the Regent air and paid the deviation fee to arrive a day early. When we were using Regent hotels, the transfers to the hotel and ship were still included. However, Regent seems to have changed their pricing on the hotels they offer. They now seem to price the hotels at about 2-3 times what you could book them yourself with the hotel. If you don't pay attention, you can be fooled because they quote the price per person not per room and if you and your TA are not watching, you can be caught:mad:.

Agree that Regent appears to make quite a bit on their hotels but, if you check things out, there are times the Regent Hotels work. Took a Baltic Cruise in Aug and stayed at the Hilton in Stockholm that I booked on the Hilton web site for about 60% of the price Regent wanted but for a cruise in 2010 starting in Seward, using my own air, seems that while the Regent price for the Hilton appears high, for me it includes transfers from the airport, back to the airport for the train which is also included as well as breakfast. Calculated the price of all that were included plus the discounted web price for the hotel and the Regent price is almost exactly what I would spend booking everything separately and by booking with Regent, just needed to tell my TA and not check a lot of web sites and send e-mails. Also we are currently scheduled to arrive in Anchorage at 12:50 AM so nice to have the Regent transfer waiting for us in baggage claim. What I am saying is it isn't always less expensive to book yourself.

Great information all...thank you. I agree with TC2 that we should let Regent handle it and if we are on the flight rallydave mentioned that sounds perfect. I definitely do not want to be bused to Vancouver but it won't ruin the trip. I will avoid any additional cost this way as well.

Also I agree mikeIam, the price of the hotel my TA quoted seemed really high. I am going to come straight home too, I will be missing my kids. No hotel in Seward/Anchorage either.

Now I need to decide if the train from Seward to Anchorage is worth the extra $$ or is the "Motorcoach" sufficent (hopefully comfortable).

Regent absolutely would not bus you from Seattle to Vancouver (a horrible thought - we live in between the two cities -- a dreadful drive). For some odd reason, Regent shys away from Air Canada. However, if they are the only airline that will get you to Vancouver in time to embark on the ship, perhaps they will use Air Canada. Like I said, the worse case scenario is that you will be put up in a hotel -- no big deal!

rallydave:

Agree that sometimes Regent hotels work out. However, I have checked the Regent hotel prices for potential cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale in 2010 and their prices are about 3 times greater than I could book independently. Considering that the hotel already offers breakfast, I think that I can arrange transport from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to the hotel and hotel to the ship for considerably less than $500+. I think that Regent is saying that they are not in the hotel reservation business -- if you want them to arrange it for you, they will, but you will pay a premium. In other markets, the situation may be different.

In September we changed planes in Denver from Phila while it got us to Vancouver in plenty of time, going through Customs and Immigration at Vancouver took us more than 3 hours because of the huge crowds and lack of Canadian Personnel.

Go a day before to be safe.

Train v's Bus in Seward, Defintely the bus, the train took 4 hours v's 3 hours by bus. The train seats were very uncomfortable.

TG

In September we changed planes in Denver from Phila while it got us to Vancouver in plenty of time, going through Customs and Immigration at Vancouver took us more than 3 hours because of the huge crowds and lack of Canadian Personnel.

Go a day before to be safe.

Train v's Bus in Seward, Defintely the bus, the train took 4 hours v's 3 hours by bus. The train seats were very uncomfortable.

TG

Did Regent book your flights? What time did you arrive in Vancouver. I know the airport is usually horrendous -- this could be one of the reasons why Regent has to put so many people up in a hotel.

Regent absolutely would not bus you from Seattle to Vancouver (a horrible thought - we live in between the two cities -- a dreadful drive). For some odd reason, Regent shys away from Air Canada. However, if they are the only airline that will get you to Vancouver in time to embark on the ship, perhaps they will use Air Canada. Like I said, the worse case scenario is that you will be put up in a hotel -- no big deal!

The Air Canada flight in this case is a code share on a flight operated by United so doesn't matter if Regent shys away from Air Canada (which is a Star Alliance Airline). It really is a United aircraft and you said Regent likes United.

As to the immigration/customs hold up in Vancouver, think the 3 hour delay was an abberation. Have flown into Canada many times and while immigration sometimes takes awhile, worse I ever saw with 5 planes arriving at the same time was 45 minutes. Customs always seems to be just pick up the bags and walk on thru. No wait ever.

Your arrival may vary.

The Air Canada flight in this case is a code share on a flight operated by United so doesn't matter if Regent shys away from Air Canada (which is a Star Alliance Airline). It really is a United aircraft and you said Regent likes United.

As to the immigration/customs hold up in Vancouver, think the 3 hour delay was an abberation. Have flown into Canada many times and while immigration sometimes takes awhile, worse I ever saw with 5 planes arriving at the same time was 45 minutes. Customs always seems to be just pick up the bags and walk on thru. No wait ever.

Your arrival may vary.

I know that Air Canada is a member of Star Alliance. However, there have been two instances when Air Canada had better flights (in our opinion) and they used Lufthansa. They probably have a better contract with Lufthansa. In the OP's case, you are no doubt correct about using United/Air Canada.

In terms of the airport in Vancouver, this is our "home" airport (although we live in Washington -- it is closer than Seattle). Our experience with immigration is a bit different than yours. The wait, at times, was so bad that we obtained a Nexus pass that includes an iris scan. When we last arrived in Vancouver (September), we bypassed the long line -- went to the iris scanner and were finished within a minute or two.

TC2,

Was there a charge ($) for this "Nexus Pass"? I looked at their website but the cost, if any, is not easy to find. What did obtaining this pass require?

TIA

The Nexus Pass is used mostly by people who drive back and forth to Canada. You probably have seen this "booklet" -- just in case, here is a link http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5084-eng.pdf. The cost used to be $50 for five years. If you get the "iris scan" portion, I believe it is $100 for five years. In my opinion, this would not be the best solution for you. It takes a lot of time, etc.

Something to think about in the future is the "Global Online Enrollment System" (GOES) which is part of the Trusted Traveler Program under the U.S. Department of Customs and Border Protection. Here is a link to that: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/ . This allows you to enter most major airports in the U.S. (arriving from a flight outside of the U.S.) to bypass Customs & Immigration by going to a machine that reads your fingerprints.

Sorry if this is a lot of information. Not that many people are aware of these programs. It makes it much easier for the passenger as well as the government. We get to avoid the lines and they know that our background has already been checked:)

Searched for info on the Nexus card as it sounded like something interesting to get. From what I saw, the cost including the Iris scan is $50 for 5 years which is fine; the biggest issue is what appears to be the requirement to go in person to an interview with the Canadian Customs as well as the US Customs people.

This is fine for those living near the border but, for those of us not near Canada, that would be a very costly and time consuming issue.

From this it appears this program is set up for people living near the border who are able to attend the interviews and not for those living further from the border unless they have the time and money to travel to the border just for an hour interview.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea how Regent gets a Phoenix guest to Vancouver? Also, the return trip is from Anchorage & it looks as if everything comes through Seattle & at very odd hours - like 12 Midnight or long layovers of TWO days! I think I would have to pay the deviation on both ends if this is what we will have to choose from !

Any info and/or help would be appreciated. We are used to making our own travel arrangements but maybe no more!

Happy Cruising!

Faith

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea how Regent gets a Phoenix guest to Vancouver? Also, the return trip is from Anchorage & it looks as if everything comes through Seattle & at very odd hours - like 12 Midnight or long layovers of TWO days! I think I would have to pay the deviation on both ends if this is what we will have to choose from !

Any info and/or help would be appreciated. We are used to making our own travel arrangements but maybe no more!

Happy Cruising!

Faith

Can't help with the Phoenix to Vancouver portion but, am flying to Anchorage next Sept. to catch the Navigator and I do know that US Air does have a non-stop from Anchorage to Phoenix but, it does depart around 2 AM. Alaska has a one stop thru Portland at about 11:30 AM but, might be hard to make with the long trip from Seward to Anchorage.

Seems most flights get into Anchorage late in the day or evening making most flights out of Anchorage in the very late evening and early morning hours. Alaska seems to have several flights in the afternoon to Seattle/Portland but, not sure about connections to Phoenix.

Possibly Regent will set up a day room in Anchorage and then you can take the non-stop around 2 AM.

HOpe this helps,

Dave

Hi all,

Happy Cruising!

Faith

Most flights have one stop and get into Vancouver too late. Alaska Airlines has a flight getting in at 12:50 p.m.. United (using Air Canada plane) gets in at 12:18 p.m. The only non-stop that I saw was U.S. Airways which gets in 1:32 p.m. -- a little late since Regent wants flights to be by 1:00 p.m.

My instinct is that they would use the United/Air Canada flight.

Thanks for your help, Dave & TC. I guess I will just turn it over to my TA. She surely had Phoenix clients with the same questions. We have exhausted ourselves in trying different flight schedules & am no closer now than a month ago!

I only know for certain we will arrive one day early and probably will remain one day later so we can relax a bit.

If anyone else comes up with a miracle, please let me know!

Happy Cruising!

Faith:(

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it took awhile but I finally chickened out on letting Regent handle the air for our cruise. After looking at the available flights I got very nervous.

For the Denver to Vancouver segment I only saw the early morning flight getting us into Vancouver around 10:00AM. Then I read about how customs can get backed up, one poster mentioned 3 hours to clear, and I know how crazy the weather has been lately, so I decided that I really wanted the cushion flying in the day before would afford. Further checking found the flights from Denver to Seattle (there are many choices) were much cheaper. The Quick Shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver looked like fun actually, they even have free wi-fi on board, so that is what we will do. Big savings.

What really scared me though, was the flights out of Anchorage on disembarkation day. Our TA said that Regent advised us not to book a flight before 2PM. Well, that did not leave a lot of choices. Most flights had stopovers, and all over creation (Houston, Minneapolis, Chicago), making for some flights of 14 hours! The only non-stop flights were departing at 10:50PM and arriving at 6:00AM the next day. But hey, that actually sounded good, considering the alternatives. We can hang out in Anchorage until flight time, then sleep the whole flight home. No stops, no changing planes. I could not be sure that Regent would put us on that flight so I called the TA and had her remove the air.

After booking the flights on my own, booking the Seattle-Vancouver shuttle, getting a night pre-cruise at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver and having 6 hours in Anchorage post-cruise, I can still book my mom's flight RT from SF to watch our kids and I will just about break even.

Turned out to be better for me to do it myself.

:D

Oh, and BTW, we did not have to pay any "deviation" fees at all. Our TA said it was because we never changed the flights Regent confirmed, we handled it before Regent had to get involved. Regent just gave us credit for the air portion of the cruise.

We used Regent air for a cruise originating in NY and Regent put us on a nice daytime AA non-stop from LAX to JFK so apparently they're not locked into only Star Alliance airlines. (we normally arrange our own flights though so don't have much experience with Regent air)

Jackie,

Regent might use Star Alliance for flights to and from Seatac but we have been on Delta, American, Lufthansa and Air France and Air Tahiti Nui.

When you deviate you can pay the additional and select flights but you give up the ground transportation. We almost always have deviated if we have not done our own air so we could fly in a day early (or more). Our TA is wonderful and has selected flights and given us choices - all worthwhile.

For Alaska, the flights from Anchorage are mostly later in the evening. It's two or three hours from the port to the airport depending on your mode of transportation.

Jackie,

Regent might use Star Alliance for flights to and from Seatac but we have been on Delta, American, Lufthansa and Air France and Air Tahiti Nui.

When you deviate you can pay the additional and select flights but you give up the ground transportation. We almost always have deviated if we have not done our own air so we could fly in a day early (or more). Our TA is wonderful and has selected flights and given us choices - all worthwhile.

For Alaska, the flights from Anchorage are mostly later in the evening. It's two or three hours from the port to the airport depending on your mode of transportation.

Kathy, you're right -- Regent does not only use Star Alliance. We just tend to get Lufthansa most of the time and they are Star Alliance. Also, returning from Rio, we were put on United. We do like Lufthansa, but, due to a 14 hour layover (going to Cape Town), we deviated and used British Air. Note: We usually fly out of Vancouver;)

It is interesting to learn that flights out of Anchorage are later in the evening. Do you know if they have a day room for passengers who have chosen to use Regent Air?

I am concerned about recent reports of Regent putting their passengers on red eye flights to Ft. Lauderdale. This is something they have not done in the past. Guess it's a cost saving measure.

Archived