Question.....

Frassy

My friend and I are going on a cruise in May. She booked early thru Carnival and told them I would be going and would be in her cabin. She paid her entire fee. I have not yet paid anything. I have found that the prices are much cheaper elsewhere. Am I obligated thru Carnival? Can we both book thru two different channels and still stay in the same cabin? The amount of cancellation fee is ridiculous.

My friend and I are going on a cruise in May. She booked early thru Carnival and told them I would be going and would be in her cabin. She paid her entire fee. I have not yet paid anything. I have found that the prices are much cheaper elsewhere. Am I obligated thru Carnival? Can we both book thru two different channels and still stay in the same cabin? The amount of cancellation fee is ridiculous.

You should give your friend the information of where you found that information (print it out, including the website name, etc.)...and have her call Carnival and ask for the discount.

Be aware, though, that the other site may have lots of restrictions -- make sure you're comparing exact cabin grades (there are dozens on any particular ship) and exact decks, before you call Carnival. Often the website will list the price for the least desireable cabin, and have "waffle words" like, "go here for as low as..." yet when you actually call about the cruise, the cabin you want will be priced much much higher.

No,you can't book elsewhere and be guaranteed the exact same cabin. Did she give the cruise line your name when she booked? When you say "she paid her entire amount", did she pay for YOUR half of the cabin too...or is that pending?

You should give your friend the information of where you found that information (print it out, including the website name, etc.)...and have her call Carnival and ask for the discount.

Be aware, though, that the other site may have lots of restrictions -- make sure you're comparing exact cabin grades (there are dozens on any particular ship) and exact decks, before you call Carnival. Often the website will list the price for the least desireable cabin, and have "waffle words" like, "go here for as low as..." yet when you actually call about the cruise, the cabin you want will be priced much much higher.

No,you can't book elsewhere and be guaranteed the exact same cabin. Did she give the cruise line your name when she booked? When you say "she paid her entire amount", did she pay for YOUR half of the cabin too...or is that pending?

I haven't paid anything yet on mine. Yes, she gave them my name

No you cannot book yourself in the same cabin as she is through a second agency. Each cabin has it's own booking not the person in the cabin.

Are you past final payment date? Or is the fare she has booked a special non cancellable one?

If not then SHE can cancel the booking and then you can both decide whom to book through, but be sure you are comparing full prices, everything included and for the same category of cabin.

No you cannot book yourself in the same cabin as she is through a second agency. Each cabin has it's own booking not the person in the cabin.

Are you past final payment date? Or is the fare she has booked a special non cancellable one?

If not then SHE can cancel the booking and then you can both decide whom to book through, but be sure you are comparing full prices, everything included and for the same category of cabin.

THank you, I don't think she wants to pay the cancellation fee so I guess we're stuck. IF prices come down, will they match other TA's, etc., or do you know?

THank you, I don't think she wants to pay the cancellation fee so I guess we're stuck. IF prices come down, will they match other TA's, etc., or do you know?

When your friend placed the booking she either paid a cabin deposit or the entire amount for the cabin. While prices are typically quoted per person based on double occupancy everything is done based on the cabin as that is what is sold.

You must talk to your friend to straighten things out as she is the one who has the necessary details.

When your friend placed the booking she either paid a cabin deposit or the entire amount for the cabin. While prices are typically quoted per person based on double occupancy everything is done based on the cabin as that is what is sold.

You must talk to your friend to straighten things out as she is the one who has the necessary details.

Thank you for all of the replies!! It is much appreciated.

No the cruiseline will NOT match a TA fare. If they did then TA's would refuse to book cruises.

Now if Carnival themselves advertise a lower price for the same category cabin on your sailing, and it is not restricted, to say, New bookings etc. Then you can usually call them and get the lower price or an upgrade of your category, [that may or may not be something you would want].

When do you actually sail?

No the cruiseline will NOT match a TA fare. If they did then TA's would refuse to book cruises.

Now if Carnival themselves advertise a lower price for the same category cabin on your sailing, and it is not restricted, to say, New bookings etc. Then you can usually call them and get the lower price or an upgrade of your category, [that may or may not be something you would want].

When do you actually sail?

THanks...I'm understanding more now. WE sail at the end of May

I really don't mean this to sound ugly but...it sounds to me as if your friend did all of the work on the original reservation and advanced your half of the expenses. While I'm sure you would like a better rate then what may have been available at the time she booked (and I understand that), you were ok with it at the time. What I'm trying to say is, please don't come up, at this late time after she's done all of the work and paid your share, and try to criticize what she's done because now there's a better rate available.

I have had this happen to me in the past when I did all of the booking, made all of the arrangements (all after consulting in depth with the other party), had all i's dotted and t's crossed, then she decided that something should be done differently. It's both hurtful and a PITA!

If final payment time hasn't arrived yet' date=' she didn't have to pay the entire amount yet and would still be able to cancel without penalty, as far as I know.[/quote']

I know...I'm not sure why she would pay it all up front....but anyway...what's done is done. :-)

Did you book early saver? If you did you should be checking the prices frequently as they often go down. We have a group with 7 cabins. The 4 OV cabins have gone down $40 each and the 3 balcony cabins have gone down $110 each since booking. Particularly check the special savings - like over 55 or state you live in as they often offer discounts. Even if your friend is paid in full she can get OBC. If you're not paid in full you can get the cabin discount or OBC if you are. Good luck.

Did you book early saver? If you did you should be checking the prices frequently as they often go down. We have a group with 7 cabins. The 4 OV cabins have gone down $40 each and the 3 balcony cabins have gone down $110 each since booking. Particularly check the special savings - like over 55 or state you live in as they often offer discounts. Even if your friend is paid in full she can get OBC. If you're not paid in full you can get the cabin discount or OBC if you are. Good luck.

Yes, it was early saver. She has paid in full and hopefully can get OBC. I have not paid anything. We will keep checking with Carnival for lower fares. Thank you very much... Merry Christmas.

Yes, it was early saver. She has paid in full and hopefully can get OBC. I have not paid anything. We will keep checking with Carnival for lower fares. Thank you very much... Merry Christmas.

Hi Frassy, she had to have paid something for you. You are required to put down a $250 deposit per person at the time of booking (assuming a 6+ day cruise - it's less if there's less days). You will definitely have to pay thru Carnival if there's already a reservation made. She could cancel but there will be a cancellation fee - if she booked early saver. If she didn't, there is no cancellation fee because you're before final payment.

Really curious where you saw such a lower price...I haven't found anything that comes close to the Carnival Early Saver rate except right before sailing. Make sure you're not looking at a guarantee rate vs. the specific stateroom rate you currently have before you decide to cancel.

Hi Frassy, she had to have paid something for you. You are required to put down a $250 deposit per person at the time of booking (assuming a 6+ day cruise - it's less if there's less days). You will definitely have to pay thru Carnival if there's already a reservation made. She could cancel but there will be a cancellation fee - if she booked early saver. If she didn't, there is no cancellation fee because you're before final payment.

Really curious where you saw such a lower price...I haven't found anything that comes close to the Carnival Early Saver rate except right before sailing. Make sure you're not looking at a guarantee rate vs. the specific stateroom rate you currently have before you decide to cancel.

Hey Bumbles...she tells me she didn't pay anything on my behalf. I have to call Carnival and get it all straightened out. I found the lower price on one of the websites that sends you several quotes. We're not going to cancel...we are going ahead with what we have got. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Archived