Dress for the Chef's Table

flamomo

We are thinking seriously of trying to do the Chef's Table.

Does anyone know if this is usually offered for one of the formal nights?

I'm hoping it is done on a "resort casual" night, but if it is on a formal night, it would not be a deal breaker.

We've done the Chef's Table twice this year and neither one was on a formal night.

I wore slacks but with a fancy top. You will have pictures taken during the dinner (which are included).

An experience not to be missed! :)

Cindy

Smart Casual and remember you have to wear "closed" toe shoes.

Great experience, and I plan on making it one of the things I do on every cruise:D

I had read that same thing - you needed to wear closed toe shoes. I asked the Maitre 'D about that when he interviewed us and he said you don't need to wear closed toe shoes. Maybe each Maitre 'D has different "rules" - this was on the Sapphire Princess.

I was the only lady at our Chef's Table in close toed shoes. It's for safety reasons. The floors in the galley are ceramic and can be slippery if they get wet. There are also a few grates in the floor, so if you are wearing high heals, you need to be careful not to get your heal caught.

After being met by the Maitre'd in the Piazza at the entrance to the lowerdeck DR, you will be issued white coats and "marched" (poor choice) through into the galley where you will be met by the Executive Chef for your tour.

At the culmination of the tour, you will be offered a varied never ending selection of hors d'oeuvres with flowing flutes of champagne (not cheap Princess vin mousseaux). Having finished, you will be relieved of your white coats and led to a central table in the DR specifically set for your dinner.

The maitre'd will then introduce your table team as well as the ship's sommelier who will explain the evening's wine selections for you.

Interesting cleansing of the palate...raspberry sorbet was served, but wait, the Exec Chef then went to everyone's sorbet and lathered it with a good 2 ounces of Grey Goose vodka... now that's different and totally delicious.

The entire dinner service included soup, salad, appetizers, desserts and the main course. Total time from "white coats on" til leave DR was approximately 3 hours and worth every minute.

Ciao for now!!!

Clothes must be clean, and as I recall no shorts or bare legs. Our table was 'clean casual'

john

Sweetie, believe me, that's so not a rule for the Chef's Table. 'Cause I'd never have done it: there's no way anybody would get me into stockings in the tropics! Seriously, bare legs are not prohibited. However, I do recall reading someone's review who mentioned their Chef's Table was on formal night. I'd think that was a real rarity, though.

Sweetie, believe me, that's so not a rule for the Chef's Table. 'Cause I'd never have done it: there's no way anybody would get me into stockings in the tropics! Seriously, bare legs are not prohibited. However, I do recall reading someone's review who mentioned their Chef's Table was on formal night. I'd think that was a real rarity, though.

Shorts are not permitted in the galley, so, no bare legs.

john

After being met by the Maitre'd in the Piazza at the entrance to the lowerdeck DR, you will be issued white coats and "marched" (poor choice) through into the galley where you will be met by the Executive Chef for your tour.

At the culmination of the tour, you will be offered a varied never ending selection of hors d'oeuvres with flowing flutes of champagne (not cheap Princess vin mousseaux). Having finished, you will be relieved of your white coats and led to a central table in the DR specifically set for your dinner.

The maitre'd will then introduce your table team as well as the ship's sommelier who will explain the evening's wine selections for you.

Interesting cleansing of the palate...raspberry sorbet was served, but wait, the Exec Chef then went to everyone's sorbet and lathered it with a good 2 ounces of Grey Goose vodka... now that's different and totally delicious.

The entire dinner service included soup, salad, appetizers, desserts and the main course. Total time from "white coats on" til leave DR was approximately 3 hours and worth every minute.

Ciao for now!!!

Sounds like a fabulous evening! We are going to sign up on our next cruise and hopefully will be selected. Thanks for sharing.

I was the only lady at our Chef's Table in close toed shoes. It's for safety reasons. The floors in the galley are ceramic and can be slippery if they get wet. There are also a few grates in the floor, so if you are wearing high heals, you need to be careful not to get your heal caught.

The "close toe'd" shoe thing was stressed and enforced when we did the CT on the Emerald (Oct 2008).....

Bob

Ours was last August in Alaska on the Island. Not on formal night, no white coats. However, all the ladies were Dressed and all the men wore coats and ties but no tuxes.

Ours in Alaska on the Island August 4th had us wear lab coats in the kitchen and looking at our pictures, it appears that most people were the typical business casual dress for the dining room.

On the Crown this month, the 3 seatings were all on casual nights. Most of our folks were in business casual and there were women in open toe shoes. They mentioned this at the interview but said that they did not keep women out of the kitchen if they didn't have any closed toe shoes to wear.

I agree with the earlier comment, the Vodka shot with the sorbet was a great way to cleanse the palate. Too bad they didn't offer the vodka with the caviar appertizer - then we'd have felt like we were back in Russia.

The paired drinks were excellent with the dinner - champagne with the first four appetizers in the kitchen (I believe we consumed 3 bottles), then white wine, red wine with the entree, then an aperitif, then lemoncello just before dessert.

For the time we did the Chef's table and the other times we saw it, it was always casual.

I also agree with the earlier comment about the Vodka shot with the sorbet was a great way to cleanse the palate. There was another night they had a sorbet appetizer in the dining room and we asked for Vodka. At first the folks we were eating with thought we were a little nuts, but then they tried it and loved it. We have our bottle of Gray Goose at home for the sole purpose of doing this at home. Loved the Chef's Table.

If you want to get an idea about what was worn, here is the link to a video from our Chef's table.

Archived