Tips for clean eating on the cruise?

BigJo

For those who do like rolls, just have one per day and try to avoid the butter.

Use the ship as a spa as there are so many wonderful food items to enjoy that are not only good for you but are not high in calories.

At the same time, enjoy so have a dessert, etc but try to offset that with exercise.

After all, you should enjoy the cruise and that includes the food.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

You distill salt water into fresh by boiling and collecting the steam to condense to fresh water; the salt is left behind. I'm thinking (if my memories of 6th grade science projects are correct:)) that heat doesn't get rid of sodium, it just evaporates the water molecules and leaves the salt behind..

• 2 months later...

I not only eat clean, but also organic and GMO free. Pretty easy to do at home, not so much when cruising. (Although GMO free is pretty easy to accomplish on European itineraries.)

Here's how I plan on managing it on my next cruise...

Because the ship is in French Polynesia year round, it's mostly provisioned locally and from France/Europe. So most foods should be GMO free. I'll just have to grin and bear it on the organic, although they use a lot less pesticides/herbicides/"cides" in general in the EU.

I plan on keeping the same workout routine as at home. I typically run 6-7 days a week, five miles a day. I'll do that on the treadmill. Three mornings a week I strength train prior to running. I also take 4-5 yoga classes a week, times vary between morning and evening. I will continue the strength training and yoga per my usual routine, although the yoga practice will all be in the morning.

I'll keep breakfast the same as I do at home. It's pretty much any combination of egg whites, veggies, berries, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, banana, hard boiled egg, and protein powder with tea to drink. What and how much depends on which exercises I've done prior to breakfast. My breakfasts can hit 800 calories, although sometimes that doesn't even equate my exercise calories for that morning.

Lunch is generally either a salad with grilled chicken or grilled/broiled fish with steamed/grilled/broiled veggies. That will be easy to continue.

Dinner is usually chicken breast or fish with veggies and often a whole/ancient grain. I eat a lot of quinoa and spelt. A couple times a month I'll have lean beef or beans as the protein. When I eat out I ask them not to put bread on the table. I will be very surprised if they have ancient grains on board, so I'll just skip the starch.

I'll have dessert once or twice, but most nights I'll either order fresh fruit for dessert or just have a bite of my husbands. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so it's not a big deal for me.

I've gotten very good at just walking past the crapola foods on a buffet line like they don't exist. The longer I maintain a clean diet, the less I have any desire to eat junk. The thing I crave the most often is fruit and oatmeal.

My biggest problem will be the wine. At home I typically drink a couple of glasses a week. On the cruise I expect I will drink 2-4 a day. In all honesty, that would still only be the equivalent of a little over one pound gained, no biggie--I can shred that off in two days when I get home.

I agree with the others that you should strive to eat as close to the way you do at home as possible. Changing your food could lead to any number of digestive issues--not something you want to have happen on vacation.

• 3 weeks later...

IMO it is a real shame when people lump foods into categories of "clean" or "dirty" or "good" or "bad." It is also more of a shame when people feel like they have to deprive themselves on a cruise.

IMO it is all about a little self control and enjoying life. There should be no reason that you cannot enjoy any food on the cruise that you really love. As an example, if you want a piece of cake with dinner, just cut back on the bread, as both are carbs and calories. You can easily shift the calories from the bread to a slice of cake.

It is all about moderation.

Also, just as an aside, do you realize that there is no magical or special advantage to eating 5 or 6 meals a day in a "bodybuilder" diet? I encourage you to visit the nutrition forum on bodybuilding dot com and do some lurking.

Start with these four threads:

"Nutrition For Newbies & Must Read Threads." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851

"Calculating Calories and macronutrient needs." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

"Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821

Critique my diet:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129523333

IMO it is a real shame when people lump foods into categories of "clean" or "dirty" or "good" or "bad." It is also more of a shame when people feel like they have to deprive themselves on a cruise.

IMO it is all about a little self control and enjoying life. There should be no reason that you cannot enjoy any food on the cruise that you really love. As an example, if you want a piece of cake with dinner, just cut back on the bread, as both are carbs and calories. You can easily shift the calories from the bread to a slice of cake.

It is all about moderation.

Also, just as an aside, do you realize that there is no magical or special advantage to eating 5 or 6 meals a day in a "bodybuilder" diet? I encourage you to visit the nutrition forum on bodybuilding dot com and do some lurking.

Start with these four threads:

"Nutrition For Newbies & Must Read Threads." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851

"Calculating Calories and macronutrient needs." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

"Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821

Critique my diet:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129523333

Great post Snorkelman and I look forward to reading those threads! I couldn't agree more about enjoying your cruise food - in moderation - just as you should enjoy food in everyday life. My sister and I switched to a mostly paleo diet this past year and really feel like it's made a difference for us. Not that either of us is what most people would consider "overweight" (she's Zumba instructor and personal trainer and I'm a distance runner who also weight trains), but we both found that into our 50's it was just so much more difficult to keep the weight off through our middle. It's not for everyone, and I probably only stick to it about 80-90%, but it's what works for us. I found it was pretty easy to stick to that diet when we cruised over the summer, so many vegetables and fruits at the buffet, and during dinner I just skipped the bread, potatoes and rice, although I did splurge on dessert. And yes, I did have a cheeseburger and fries one afternoon and pizza a couple of times. I mean, that Princess pizza, I wasn't going to completely give that up! I did put on a couple of pounds but it came right off as soon as I got home and back into my regular eating routine. You have to enjoy life a little!

• 5 weeks later...

Too many chemicals. Organic and non-GMO foods will help you avoid major sources of carcinogens from entering your body. Use an organic whey, non-GMO protein powder. Otherwise, it looks similar to mine, although I Introduce more healthy fats (olive oil, avocado) and less processed food--only brown rice, never white for example. I also eat fish where you eat beef.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Archived