John and Diane's Amazing Adventure - Part II

Johnny B

Two years ago, in 2008, we took a "once in a lifetime" world cruise. Because we knew we'd never do it again, we booked the balcony and took eleven bags. We had amazing overland adventures in Cambodia, India and Egypt. We came home exhausted but incredibly happy with what we had seen.

So, you might ask, what are they doing now? Well, we're doing it again. Our "twice in a lifetime" world cruise, so to speak. After loving the westbound itinerary, which resulted in getting an extra hour's sleep every four nights, we swore we'd never take an eastbound cruise. Guess what? This one's eastbound. We'll sail from Ft. Lauderdale again, and then go through the Panama Canal, but this time we'll partially circumnavigate South America, stopping in Ecuador (where we'll begin an overland tour to Machu Picchu), Peru, Chile, and Argentina. In the midst of that, however, we'll nip down and see Antarctica. It's sounding marvelous already. They we cross the South Atlantic, heading to Namibia and South Africa, where we'll go to a game preserve for four days to celebrate John's birthday. After Africa, we continue to Mauritius, Seychelles, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Korea, Japan, Russia, and then across the North Pacific to Vancouver, Seattle, and Los Angeles, where we'll disembark.

The bags are packed, the shots and visas are taken care of, and now if we can just get through the holidays, we'll be on our way. We hope you'll be able to join us along the way.

I can hardly wait to read all about your adventures. I remember you writing about them 2 years ago and it was a treat to read all about them. Thank you so much for doing this again. It's a lot of work and money on your part and I really appreciate it:).

thank you for taking the time to post for us. I was an avid reader two years ago.

It will be interesting to know how you feel about the Eastbound travel. I loved our recent Westbound TA. Those five 25 hour days in a row were wonderful!

We will both be cruising the Amalia Glacier and Canal Sarmiento off Chile as we return from our Antarctica visit on the Veendam.

Have a wonderful adventure - I will enjoy reading all about it.

Tina

A cruise is, I think you would agree, an amazingly relaxing way to travel. You get up when you want to, do as much or as little as you wish during the day and evening, and still get to see the world. So why have the last few days been so nuts? We have good friends who began their world cruise in Los Angeles (probably to get away from all the madness we're having), so we took advantage and drove the 4 hours to LA (actually Long Beach) to see them, have lunch together, and leave four suitcases in their cabin.

As part of the 4 hour drive home, we stopped at the home of some friends for their daughter's engagement party, and then finally, finally got home about 8:00 to greet our daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter and Diane's brother - all of whom had arrived during the day. Then the rest of the Christmas madness began, with last minute shopping, cooking for dozens (at least it seemed like it), and then, today, opening gifts, getting rid of the wrapping paper, cooking dinner for 7 (which could have fed 50), and in the middle of it all, we just said "forget it" and took a 3-mile walk to the beach with our 3-year old granddaughter in gorgeous 65 degree California weather (sorry North Dakota, we couldn't help ourselves).

One guest leaves tomorrow, three more on Sunday and then, iin his own type of madness, John invited about a hundred (really!) former students to an open house Sunday evening. What was he thinking? Was he even thinking? (One of those questions without an answer)

Monday will be "put away the Christmas stuff" and HAL pick up the luggage day, Tuesday is get the house put together and go to the hotel for the night, and then Wednesday (which can't come a second too soon), we fly off to Key West for New Year's. We've heard it's absolutely mad there - a good place to get away from all the stress.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah (our Methodist granddaughter's favorite expression), and our best wishes for the new year. See you in Key West!

Archived