Tip Question

kimpri

1st time cruise next month on Carnival and confused about the tips. Actually, surprised to find I have to pay an additional $250 more for tips-do I really need to tip $10 a day for a 9 yr. old.? Are these optional, and if not, why isn't that just included in the price of the cruise? Like I said-I'm confused!

Like everywhere else, tips are optional. However, you will find that your cabin steward and wait staff will be working very hard to make your cruise memrable. As to 9 yo, they usually make more of a mess than adults, resulting in more work for the staff, if anything you should give more for the child

You can opt out of the automatic tips but please don't do it unless you get bad service. The crew depends on tips to provide them with a living wage. Personally I feel cruise lines should just raise the price of the cruise and pay the crew more and eliminate tipping except for really exceptional service. But cruise lines like to be able to advertize low prices and by adding tips to the fare would lose some customers.

Have a great next cruise.

You can opt out of the automatic tips but please don't do it unless you get bad service. The crew depends on tips to provide them with a living wage. Personally I feel cruise lines should just raise the price of the cruise and pay the crew more and eliminate tipping except for really exceptional service. But cruise lines like to be able to advertize low prices and by adding tips to the fare would lose some customers.

Have a great next cruise.

I would also much rather see prices raised for cruises, restaurants, etc and tips eliminated, but I am not holding my breath.

Tips are a part of the restaurant and hotel service culture. Mind you, lots of us wish that such employees got paid a living wage, but until that happens, they depend on tips to supplement their otherwise meager income. The employees wages are based on the estimated tips that they will receive. And yes, it will cost you the same for a child as for an adult. A child uses the same number of dishes, towels, that adults use. Depending on their sleeping arrangements, the same number of sheets. If your child was instead an adult sharing the stateroom and dining facilities with you, he'd be expected to pay the same amount in tips..why should a child be exempt, or pay less?

I just consider the tips a part of the cost of the cruise, and if I can't afford the cruise -- plus the appropriate tips -- then I don't go.

We did the auto tipping last year on the Carnival Splendour and it was $280.00 for our family of 4 even though our little munchkin was only 6. I thought full tipping for her was excessive as she is so young.

It has nothing to do with age. A 6 yo is likely to cause more work for the cabn steward and wait staff. If anything the tip should be higher for her.

I think most here missed one key element in the OP's post..

"First time cruiser"..

All the information given here is just that, good information.. Being this is their first cruise, they do not know what to expect while on board.. Once they get on the ship, learn their way around and finally get into Vacation mode, the tip issue will go out the window er port hole...

Once they get the notion that, for example, they are at dinner and something on the menu really floats their boat, they can order 2 or 3 or 4 or... of it/them and the price does not change, well maybe they will understand some of what has been said here.. It is very true that the cabin steward and dinning room staff go well above the call of duty to make your cruise a memorable one...

When I cruise, I have no issue with the auto tipping set up.. I gladly let it get added to my S&S account. I will usually leave an extra $50.00 to $100.00 with a note for the cabin steward on the last night of the cruise..

Enjoy your cruise and please, do a great deal of research here on CC before you go.. You will be hooked on cruising for the rest of your life.. Can't beat the bargin...

Children are people, too...the waiters and room attendant do just as much for a child as for you!

Tips should be considered part of the expense of cruising.....

Carnival tries to make it 'easy' by adding the tips to your account. Some other lines give you the option of adding them, or paying the tips in cash.

When you go out to eat, you plan on tipping, do you not? It's the same on a ship...you have to PLAN to tip!

Children are people, too...the waiters and room attendant do just as much for a child as for you!

Tips should be considered part of the expense of cruising.....

Carnival tries to make it 'easy' by adding the tips to your account. Some other lines give you the option of adding them, or paying the tips in cash.

When you go out to eat, you plan on tipping, do you not? It's the same on a ship...you have to PLAN to tip!

I do totally agree that children are people too. I don't want to seem like I am underestimating the importance of tipping for children. My little one has been taught to pick up after herself and not to cause any extra work for the staff that is why it seemed like a lot for a 6 year old. On my upcoming cruise we are doing MTD so are tips are all prepaid so I wont even notice it this time around. Maybe because it was our first ever cruise it came as a surprise. Now I know what I should expect.

1st time cruise next month on Carnival and confused about the tips. Actually, surprised to find I have to pay an additional $250 more for tips-do I really need to tip $10 a day for a 9 yr. old.? Are these optional, and if not, why isn't that just included in the price of the cruise? Like I said-I'm confused!

I'm in full agreement with keeping the auto-tip in place.

Even though a child is taught to pick up after themselves-- a cabin steward will be making their bed twice a day.

your waiter will be serving your child just like he serves you. (this includes the food on the lido deck buffet.)

!0.00 per day is not a lot for our society.

I do have a curious question to people who dont know about auto tipping.

Did you not read your contract when you made your deal?

Did you not read the "stuff" when you did the fun pass thing?

Did you not read the terms of service when you did final payment,

and final question--- is this information not in the published stuff??

I do not want tips automatically added to my cruise fare- I want good service and trully believe that if tipping was done away with and added to my fare service would drop considerably. (as it is with the automatic tip--these people are relying on doing their service to get an extra added bonus--which I have done on all cruises except one.

On a cruise, instead of tipping after each meal- breakfast, lunch and dinner and instead of tipping each day for maid service like you would at restaurants and hotels, you instead tip a daily fee that covers all of those tips. At only $9 per day per person, this is much, much less than what you would be tipping if you had to do it after each meal and each day for your room. You will be waited on hand and foot and will probably end up tipping more than the suggested amount after you realize how wonderful the service is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone... don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question about tipping at the end of the cruise.

I have no problems tipping extra for great service (hopefully plan on tipping the counsellors at the camp for our kids, extra for our dining room server, room steward, etc) but my question is: do you bring extra cash onboard and then put it into separate envelopes to give out to the person being tipped...or do you just add any extra amounts onto your credit card when you check out at the end of the cruise?

I am very detail oriented (to the point of OCD) and always prefer to have my envelopes preprinted and ready to give out at the end of our vacation. But I have heard that the staff all have to share their tips anyway, so it would be so much easier to just add the tips onto my card at the end...any thoughts?

TIA :)

Take care,

Diana

Hi everyone... don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question about tipping at the end of the cruise.

I have no problems tipping extra for great service (hopefully plan on tipping the counsellors at the camp for our kids, extra for our dining room server, room steward, etc) but my question is: do you bring extra cash onboard and then put it into separate envelopes to give out to the person being tipped...or do you just add any extra amounts onto your credit card when you check out at the end of the cruise?

I am very detail oriented (to the point of OCD) and always prefer to have my envelopes preprinted and ready to give out at the end of our vacation. But I have heard that the staff all have to share their tips anyway, so it would be so much easier to just add the tips onto my card at the end...any thoughts?

TIA :)

Take care,

Diana

You'd get more answers if you'd post this as a new thread.

If you leave the auto-tip in place and truly are tipping extra for perceived good service, you can indeed prepare envelopes in advance if you like..

or simply hand the person cash on the last day (or whenever you feel appropriate). Or you can fill out the "good service" cards that are in the cabins on most lines, and give them that along with the cash.

If you leave the auto-tip in place, then any extra cash -- whether in an envelope or simply handed to them as cash -- is theirs to keep. If you don't keep the auto-tip in place, then they do have to turn in the cash -- whether in an envelope or not -- and it is pooled and shared with all the folks who should have been getting the auto-tip.

Hi everyone.do you bring extra cash onboard and then put it into separate envelopes to give out to the person being tipped...or do you just add any extra amounts onto your credit card when you check out at the end of the cruise?

cash given directly to the service people- that way i know they know its there.

puttin it on the card-- it might be shared

I have worked as a teacher and in retail and can honestly say most children leave huge messes because their parents are not diligent and are rather oblivious to the behaviour of their "little angels." Tipping should be done as a way of saying thanks and letting them know that you are happy to not have to pick up after your child for a week and have their service.

Tipping is important to anyone in the service industry as their base pay (if any) is measly at best.

Kimpri,

there are good reasons why the service charge is there and is what it is. some lines it is 12.00 per day person including children.

and many on here would like to see it just included in the fare, but there are legal reasons they don't do that.

So the tipping structure is what it is. Be aware that the TIPS are the Huge Majority of the service crews pay. They get almost nothing in actual wages separate from the service charge. They work 12 to 15 hour days 6 to 7 days a week for months on end.

If the service charge was included into the fare then everyone would be complaining about that too the higher cost of cruising.

Please just accept that this is one of the costs of cruising, I hope you are aware of the the other Costs on board, and make your plans accordingly.

Why would anyone think that they should not have to tip just because someone is 6 or 9? The server still has to take their order (which is harder whith children because the parent will ask 5 or 6 times what do you want to eat?) bring their plate to the table, refill their drink, clear the plate, clean the mess etc. They earn that tip when it is a family.

Why would anyone think that they should not have to tip just because someone is 6 or 9? The server still has to take their order (which is harder whith children because the parent will ask 5 or 6 times what do you want to eat?) bring their plate to the table, refill their drink, clear the plate, clean the mess etc. They earn that tip when it is a family.

I think if anything the cabin steward and wait staff should get extra tips for the messes that children make.

Good information, Thanks!

We are first time cruisers as well, leave this Sunday. Can't wait.

I am planning on the tip prepay arrangement.

That being said, I understand you still tip the Porters for the luggage and the Room Steward.

Who else should we expect to tip in addition to the prepay and the two mentioned above? Also, if 15% gratuity is added to bar/drink orders. Does that make them happy, or is additional cash expected for good service?

Good information, Thanks!

We are first time cruisers as well, leave this Sunday. Can't wait.

I am planning on the tip prepay arrangement.

That being said, I understand you still tip the Porters for the luggage and the Room Steward.

Who else should we expect to tip in addition to the prepay and the two mentioned above? Also, if 15% gratuity is added to bar/drink orders. Does that make them happy, or is additional cash expected for good service?

Your room steward is included in the daily amount that you will pre-pay. I may tip a favorite bartender or cocktail server at the end of the cruise an addional amount if we really though they provided exceptional service, the person who delivers room service is not included in the daily tip amount so a few dollars to them, porters, taxi drivers, tour guides.

I am cruising w/ my hubby and an 11-yr. old and 5-yr. old. We're going on a 4-day Carnival cruise and $160 is being added automatically to our account for the tips/service charge. Is it perfectly fine if I just leave it exactly like that, and our wait staff and room steward and everyone else will get their due tips and know that we didn't stiff them? I would much rather just have the tips charged automatically this way and me not to have to worry about it at the end of every day. I will of course give tips to the porters and for room service, etc. We don't drink alcohol so don't have to worry about that. I just wanted to make sure that if I did leave the automatic charges, I wouldn't have to worry about making additional tips for servers and room attendants (unless I wanted to give something extra, but if I don't it's okay too?).....

Since she mentioned tipping for her 9-yr. old, I know that our 2 kids will probably NEVER even step foot into the dining room, and that my hubby and I will do it only once or so. On the only other cruise we went on, we had dinner by room service or buffet almost every night, and breakfast and lunch at the buffet. I'll try out the dining room once but I much rather enjoy eating privately in the comfort of my room and I don't really care about trying out exceptional food in a 5-star dining setting (I know, I am weird and probably not a good candidate for cruising.) But if I don't eat in the dining room, will they give our tips to the servers at the buffet??? How do they know?

Archived