RSVP to Hawaii Oct 30, 2010

RMS Olympic

Lets see, its 9:33

that means a week from today I should be just finishing up my hike on Diamond head and ready for breakfast in the company of someone fabulous...no not Reuel. She will still be in her box with that shovel of dirt from the old country.

Anyone else at the park shore wanna hike Diamond head Friday morning...and be able to say you did it and claim bragging rights.

Tamara said she is packing something light to wear....must be her store bought personality....its light all right! (Rumor has it it is polyester) Meow.

Formal clothes...not for me. Maybe a Hibiscus flower shirt.......yeah baby.

Hey Bruce...in Honolulu....can you wear shorts out to dinner or is it trousers? I have no idea how informal Hawaii is. Thanks

Formal clothes...not for me. Maybe a Hibiscus flower shirt.......yeah baby.

What's all this talk about formal wear? Every night on the ship is casual. I might pack a pair of khakis, that's about as formal as I am going to get. :)

To the locals: what are the tips for buying Hawaiian shirts? Good places to buy, what not to get? ;)

Anyone else at the park shore wanna hike Diamond head Friday morning...and be able to say you did it and claim bragging rights.

We are planning on doing Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona first thing Friday morning, maybe beat the crowds. On the day of disembarkation we will have a car and most likely tour the island before our 7:40 pm flight. Still need to figure out a shower/freshen up place!

Hey Bruce...in Honolulu....can you wear shorts out to dinner or is it trousers? I have no idea how informal Hawaii is. Thanks

From what I have read it is very informal and shorts are OK in most restaurants.

We used our Droid on a roadtrip in May from Northern California to Colorado and Western Kansas. Only on two occasions did I lose the signal. With the Maps and Navigation program the Droid actually downloads the route when it has a signal and the only things you may lose along the way are the local attractions. Have John open the Map program right now and zoom in on Hawaii. See if it populates roads and attractions.

Do check on your carrier's coverage accross all of the islands we are visiting though. Verizon's looks quite good overall, but there are some "patchy spots".

Pat

Thanks, Pat. We do have Verizon as our carrier. John is going to play with the Droid this weekend, and then we can make our final decision. I take it you guys are planning to rely solely on the Droid and not pack any other GPS devices?

Chad

Welcome aboard.

Do not worry, we are all far tamer in person than we seem on these boards :(

As to driving the Hana Road, did it once years ago and thought it a phenomenal waste of time.

The scenery can be beautiful for the one not doing the driving, but the driver will only see curves and potholes.

A nice relaxing day on any secluded (or gay) beach might be a better alternative for the same time.

RDU,

Do try to participate in the party themes at least in some small way.

You yourselves will feel much more in the party spirit if you do.

But, yes, there are maybe 10% or more that don't do anything.

As of yet I don't know what I'll be doing. But I promise you it will be light weight and pack easily :o

I wouldn't win any costume contests anyway.

My other half who is a fantastic costumer doesn't want to do anything, go figure !

r.

It seems like a very nice group of people, and I can't wait to meet all of you! Tamaracboy, I've been doing lots of research on the Road to Hana, and I'm hoping we won't regret doing it. We are going to drive all the way to the end to the Oheo Gulch and work our way backward. That way if we run out of daylight, we can pace ourselves with the stops better. We want to hike the Pipiwai Trail to Waimoku Falls. We plan to stop often and switch drivers so that one of us doesn't have to shoulder the entire burden. Of course, since it will be my hubby's birthday, I may drive the whole thing so he can relax. :) We're going to stop at Mama's Fish House for dinner on the way back and then plan to stay on the ship for Halloween festivities. I've heard a lot of people say it's not worth the stress...but I guess we feel like this might be the only time we make it to Hawaii, so we want to do all the "must do's" when we can.

I've done a little bit of research and have found Honokohau Beach in Kona, and Donkey Beach and Secret Beach in Kauai. Has anyone heard of these gay beaches in Kona and Kauai and/or have any tips on better beaches if these are not worth the trip?

We're staying on the ship Halloween night btw.

Skip Donkey Beach on Kauai. It was great 10 years ago but now has a bike path going by it and houses nearby so is no longer the gay beach. Secret is beautiful but getting rougher by the day because of winter. The main gay beach (if you want to take your clothes off ) on Kauai is now Larsons Beach.

I also found out that the local Kauai gays will have an info booth. I am not sure if it will be IN the pier building or not. I think they will also have tents in the park about a block from the pier.

Shorts are fine at dinner anywhere in Waikiki as far as I know. If you go to somewhere like Alan Wongs (where Obama dines) you might want to dress up (and get a second mortgage). I DO have a lunch or dinner recommendation for Oahu that might surprise people. We always have lunch at The Pineapple Room which is the restaurant Inside Macys at the Ala Moana mall. It is a less pricy version also owned by Alan Wong.

For quality Hawaiian shirts hit Macys. That is where local businessmen shop. For pure tourist go to Hilo Hatties. The Red Dirt tshirts are still very popular. Those are actually dyed with Kauai dirt.

I THINK the ship will let us wear shorts to dinner but I can check on that. Normally they do not allow jeans but I heard they have already been told jeans will be ok for US.

I just heard about the "Beer and Burbon Tasting" that they usually have on sunday evenings at 8:30. For $20 you get a good sampling and it wraps up with a full big glass mug of beer you keep. The rest of the week you can refill it for $8.95. That might give me a good start on the Halloween party later. :-)

I also just realized we should get the sports bar to put on CNN instead of sports on tuesday night when many of us will be watching the election. I will check to see if it is even possible to get MSNBC because Rachael Maddow will be far more entertaining.

Thank you so much for all the great information. I hope that after you are bombarded with questions, you still have time to enjoy the trip even if it is in your own backyard.

Peter......Less clothes this time...maybe fit everything into one suitcase and the other for hair care products...yeah, right;).

PS...heard thru rumor control Max is going really casual....just some blush powder on his........you know...on thatwhich became so famous by the pool on previous cruises. I am so envious!:D

Half packed...now to pull clothes out of the bag.....never could pack light.

Skip Donkey Beach on Kauai. It was great 10 years ago but now has a bike path going by it and houses nearby so is no longer the gay beach. Secret is beautiful but getting rougher by the day because of winter. The main gay beach (if you want to take your clothes off ) on Kauai is now Larsons Beach.

I also found out that the local Kauai gays will have an info booth. I am not sure if it will be IN the pier building or not. I think they will also have tents in the park about a block from the pier.

Ahh, thanks so much for the info Bruce. Would have sucked to get all the way there just to be disappointed. Will look into Larsons Beach. Probably play the beach days by ear, but just wanted to have a few maps and stuff ahead of time for the Kona and Kauai days. Don't care about taking the clothes off, but just want a beautiful spot to go for the shore days where there will be a few other people and we'll feel safe.

Ahh, thanks so much for the info Bruce. Would have sucked to get all the way there just to be disappointed. Will look into Larsons Beach. Probably play the beach days by ear, but just wanted to have a few maps and stuff ahead of time for the Kona and Kauai days. Don't care about taking the clothes off, but just want a beautiful spot to go for the shore days where there will be a few other people and we'll feel safe.

One easy beach that is pretty nice is the one you can walk to from the port in Kauai. There is also a shuttle. That will be the best spot to see some of the ship boys in bathing suits. I have heard that you will see some of the ship boys WITHOUT bathing suits on Little Beach on Maui.

Just saw more posts and an ad on the FB page for this party. I actually think it is a little tacky to promote this so much when people have already paid so much for the cruise and might have expected to have something that night, but that's just my own humble opinion.

Is anyone going to that?

We are not going to this party and will be staying on the ship Sunday night. I did an Atlantis cruise a few years ago that overnighted in Ibiza and they did a similar thing with a party onshore. Was actually worth it since the attraction of Ibiza is the nightlife. Not sure about how interested I am with Maui's nightlife, so going to take advantage of an off night and just do the late night dancing in the club after dinner.

Just saw more posts and an ad on the FB page for this party. I actually think it is a little tacky to promote this so much when people have already paid so much for the cruise and might have expected to have something that night, but that's just my own humble opinion.

Is anyone going to that?

We are not going to this party and will be staying on the ship Sunday night. I did an Atlantis cruise a few years ago that overnighted in Ibiza and they did a similar thing with a party onshore. Was actually worth it since the attraction of Ibiza is the nightlife. Not sure about how interested I am with Maui's nightlife, so going to take advantage of an off night and just do the late night dancing in the club after dinner.

We went back and forth on this one and finally decided to attend. We DO know some hot local boys who will be there. Part of the decision was because it IS Halloween night and the party is so close to the ship and we can quickly return when we feel like it. I expect we will be on shore for a few hours and then come back to the smaller party on board later.

We went back and forth on this one and finally decided to attend. We DO know some hot local boys who will be there. Part of the decision was because it IS Halloween night and the party is so close to the ship and we can quickly return when we feel like it. I expect we will be on shore for a few hours and then come back to the smaller party on board later.

My feeling is that we will see the RSVP guys on the ship all the time so it will be cool to hang out with some of the locals. And we will have Halloween 2 with the costume party on the ship. My original Halloween outfit will now be used on the ship and we still have to come up with something for the Maui party. We may recycle/reuse previous cruise costumes. ;)

I wonder if the Friday before boarding.....a tour of a pineapple planatation would be fun. I think Dole use to have tours......

Thats something you wont find in the Caribbean.

May query to see if such tours are available....and play REAL tourist.:D

Just visited a site Aloha-Hawaii.com:Hiking Diamond Head

The hike is only .7 miles up, and is suppose to be a moderate climb. The site had pictures of what the view is like...fabulous!

Entry fee to the park is $1, and it is recommeneded to bring a bottle of water, a hat and wear sunscreen.

So I figure a 2 hour roundtrip in the morning before the heat and crowds start.

If I start at 7, that means breakfast somewhere at 9...leaving the balance of the day to sight see.

Hope I can get some others to roll out of bead and take a walk......lots of photo Ops!

Lets see, its 9:33

that means a week from today I should be just finishing up my hike on Diamond head and ready for breakfast in the company of someone fabulous...no not Reuel. She will still be in her box with that shovel of dirt from the old country.

Yes, Bob & I would like to hike the Diamond Head with you! We also haven't planned anything for Fridaythe 5th and may be interested in the Kayak excursion that you mentioned.

Max

Assuming these are attending:

Monumax and Bob

mikec5426 and GaryR6273

Hey, I responded as soon as you first asked!

Max

Uh, maybe it ended up in my spam box! :D

Speaking of spam... Bruce, what's the best place to experience Hawaiian spam?!

Yes, Bob & I would like to hike the Diamond Head with you! We also haven't planned anything for Fridaythe 5th and may be interested in the Kayak excursion that you mentioned.

Max

Were any of you on that Bioluminescence excursion in San Juan? OMG a bunch of queens in kayaks.. in the DARK??! That was quite entertaining. Especially a certain Reuel... We may have to do this just to get a good laugh. :D

Uh, maybe it ended up in my spam box!

It's different ? ? ! !

or just with Pineapple on top & resting on a Banana leaf ? :p

Were any of you on that Bioluminescence excursion in San Juan? OMG a bunch of queens in kayaks.. in the DARK??! That was quite entertaining. Especially a certain Reuel... We may have to do this just to get a good laugh.

Wellllllllllll a lot of people followed us and came out alive ! ! (in spite of Robert's steering) :rolleyes:

And, Miguel & I are already booked on the Friday AM Kayak/waterfall tour :p

So you'll all be following me again ! :cool:

r.

Were any of you on that Bioluminescence excursion in San Juan? OMG a bunch of queens in kayaks.. in the DARK??! That was quite entertaining. Especially a certain Reuel... We may have to do this just to get a good laugh. :D

It was pitch black coming back...and to make matters worse we were wearing what we thought were glow in the dark bracelets and they were to mark the front of the boats, so we had no idea whether other kayaks were coming or going!:)

It was pitch black coming back...and to make matters worse we were wearing what we thought were glow in the dark bracelets and they were to mark the front of the boats, so we had no idea whether other kayaks were coming or going!:)

Well we were all glowing in the dark, or should have been, after stirring around in that radioactive water ;)

Did any notice if it was downstream from a nuclear plant ? ? :rolleyes:

This time it'll be tropical ferns :cool:

r.

Uh, maybe it ended up in my spam box! :D

If you want canned it is the same as home. DO NOT try the low sodium type. It makes the regular tast good. Pick some up at Safeway and you can eat it in your cabin. :-)

The only restaurants I have seen it in would be the really old diner type places that you see outside of the tourist areas. The kind of place 70 year old men might go to. No one else eats it.

BUT, if you want a good souvener they do have a Spam cookbook to buy for gifts.

Archived