RSVP to Hawaii Oct 30, 2010

RMS Olympic

It was pitch black coming back...and to make matters worse we were wearing what we thought were glow in the dark bracelets and they were to mark the front of the boats, so we had no idea whether other kayaks were coming or going!:)

Silly queens, see glow sticks and decide it's to be worn! That was a fun excursion... and I did like the bioluminescence the water too.

If you want canned it is the same as home. DO NOT try the low sodium type. It makes the regular tast good. Pick some up at Safeway and you can eat it in your cabin. :-)

No, I can eat spam from a can here any day! :)

The only restaurants I have seen it in would be the really old diner type places that you see outside of the tourist areas. The kind of place 70 year old men might go to. No one else eats it.

I thought it was one of the highlights of Hawaiian cuisine!

BUT, if you want a good souvener they do have a Spam cookbook to buy for gifts.

Nothing will ever beat the 'Glory Hole' cookbook from Sitka, Alaska, I am sorry I did no find out about that until after we sailed away.

Just visited a site Aloha-Hawaii.com:Hiking Diamond Head

The hike is only .7 miles up, and is suppose to be a moderate climb. The site had pictures of what the view is like...fabulous!

Entry fee to the park is $1, and it is recommeneded to bring a bottle of water, a hat and wear sunscreen.

So I figure a 2 hour roundtrip in the morning before the heat and crowds start.

If I start at 7, that means breakfast somewhere at 9...leaving the balance of the day to sight see.

Hope I can get some others to roll out of bead and take a walk......lots of photo Ops!

I think we could very easily be talked into this if we haven't already done it before you get there. WTH-why not do it twice? I think Friday will be a kick-back day for us in Waikiki. That is, if we aren't stuffed from oulled pork and warm buns the night before.

Shorts are fine at dinner anywhere in Waikiki as far as I know. If you go to somewhere like Alan Wongs (where Obama dines) you might want to dress up (and get a second mortgage). I DO have a lunch or dinner recommendation for Oahu that might surprise people. We always have lunch at The Pineapple Room which is the restaurant Inside Macys at the Ala Moana mall. It is a less pricy version also owned by Alan Wong.

For quality Hawaiian shirts hit Macys. That is where local businessmen shop. For pure tourist go to Hilo Hatties. The Red Dirt tshirts are still very popular. Those are actually dyed with Kauai dirt.

I THINK the ship will let us wear shorts to dinner but I can check on that. Normally they do not allow jeans but I heard they have already been told jeans will be ok for US.

EXCUSE ME

Nothing less than a full evening gown would ever do for dinner

I wonder if the Friday before boarding.....a tour of a pineapple planatation would be fun. I think Dole use to have tours......

Thats something you wont find in the Caribbean.

May query to see if such tours are available....and play REAL tourist.:D

There is a nice tour on Maui

Maui Tropical Plantation Not a huge Pineapple grove but you get to really see a number of the products of Hawaii actually growing, not too involved and fairly cheap. We have gone twice, nice gardens too.

We went Costume shopping today, decided not to go too elaborate It is about the fun and a touch of costume, just cannot get the major shee bang going in a suitcase.

Hi all. Ron here from Seattle. Fourth cruise, first time on RSVP. Cruising solo with a friend as cabin mate on deck 8.

Does anyone have a list of theme parties for each night?

So far I know of

Saturday Home Town T Shirt

Sunday Halloween Party Ashore

Monday Costume Contest and Dance

Leather Party

Is there a Red Lava Party? Which night?

Thanks for all the great info so far.

Ron

Hi all. Ron here from Seattle. Fourth cruise, first time on RSVP. Cruising solo with a friend as cabin mate on deck 8.

So far I know of

Saturday Home Town T Shirt

Leather Party

Ron

If you go to the RSVP site page for the cruise they have two downloadable files. One has basic cruise info and the other has a pretty full schedule.

The Red hot lava party is a t-dance on Friday afternoon.

The site on Diamond head was great.....the pictures of what to expect were a big plus. I hope Reuel reads the notes...expecially on footware...not to wear heels.

I think this will be a great way to really get into the Hawaiian spirit.

Now to figure out what to do the rest of Friday after a nice breakfast post hike.

Today is start packing day.......

I booked a hotel room near the Tampa airport because of the early flight to Phoenix on Thursday morning. So this trip actually starts Wed......I am so ready!

Will you be planning on doing the beach by the hotel? I thought I read somewhere that there was an area called Queens beach...that was in the vicinity of our hotel. I dont want to miss anything..........

being the wall flower that I am I like to follow and watch the action;)

If Reuel is there we could burry him and watch the ied come in......

Of course Peter being the life guard type would probably save him.:o

Now to figue out how to maintain my virtue on this island of beauty.....after a few mai tais at Hulas beverage stand!:eek:

Hi Ron, welcome!

We have a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet scheduled on October 30th at 5 PM in the Lanai Martini Bar on Deck 13 (Forward). Please join us and meet he rest of the gang.

RSVP to me at boytjieny at yahoo dot com with your name(s), CC id and room number.

So far I know of

Saturday Home Town T Shirt -

Leather Party

Ron

Here is the short list and the full schedule

Will you be planning on doing the beach by the hotel? I thought I read somewhere that there was an area called Queens beach...that was in the vicinity of our hotel. I dont want to miss anything..........

It is right on front of the hotel, dear. ;)

Queens Beach is the one the boys go to near Hulas. Just head to the beach in front of the zoo and walk toward Diamond Head until you are near a pavilion with a snack bar and restrooms. That is it.

So glad to hear that there are restrooms there! The gay beach in Rehoboth Beach, DE is far from restrooms (except the ocean, or course).

So glad to hear that there are restrooms there! The gay beach in Rehoboth Beach, DE is far from restrooms (except the ocean, or course).

Would that be "Poodle Beach"? Or the state park? Its been years since I've been but spent alot of my wayward youth on the weekends having fun in Rehomo.

I think Friday is going to be a Queen's beach afternoon. I want to do the hike with you boys Friday morning up Diamond head but as of now, it look like I'll be tied to the phone for a few work related conference calls. Seems we decided to boost our 2011 budget planning up a few weeks...and my vacation falls right smack in the middle of the new timeline. D'oh!

5 more days of work. I'm excited to be a passenger on my ship! The crews all excited as well. Stayin in 10614 It'll be nice to be in a balcony room. I've spent the past 5 months on deck 2 underwater in a "closet" sized room. Haha. Facebook is http://www.facebook.com/kyleluvskylie

Aloha!

Kyle

5 more days of work. I'm excited to be a passenger on my ship! The crews all excited as well. Stayin in 10614 It'll be nice to be in a balcony room. I've spent the past 5 months on deck 2 underwater in a "closet" sized room. Haha. Facebook is http://www.facebook.com/kyleluvskylie

Aloha!

Kyle

Kyle, are you joining us at the CC Meet and Greet? we won't make you work... unless you want to work the room. :)

Archived