RSVP to Hawaii Oct 30, 2010

RMS Olympic

I wonder if the Friday before boarding.....a tour of a pineapple planatation would be fun. I think Dole use to have tours......

Thats something you wont find in the Caribbean.

May query to see if such tours are available....and play REAL tourist.:D

I have it on good authority that the Dole Pineapple Plantation is worth a look-see, especially after the tour for a pineapple split (as opposed to banana, of which there will be plenty swinging.) Bill is salivating already (for the pineappple split.)

Kyle, are you joining us at the CC Meet and Greet? we won't make you work... unless you want to work the room. :)

Add me to a list. I Dunno if imma leave the ship that morning or just sleep in my cabin till the PAX cabins open if they let me. Lol. But yes I'll come to the meet n greet. Of all the places I've been in on the ship the martini bar isn't one of them. Weird...

Well I just booked the Kayak excursion on Friday the 5th...to the falls. The chance to see Reuel paddling down river will be like watching a remake of the African Queen......and he aint no Humphrey Bogart!

Hey Ballyman.....you have a kayak partner if you want one.

Jim and Bill.......pineapple tour...on Friday before the cruise.......I'm gonna shoot for it and will look into it on the web. Maybe we can get a small group together...the more the merrier. I want to see how they make those holes in the slices before they put it in the can. I have fantasies about the equipment! LOL

A pineapple split.....scrumpscious.......:p

WE LEAVE FOR LGA IN JUST 6 1/2 HOURS. Flying to Maui Monday Evening! Whoo Hooo! One Question, uh When and where is the meet and greet? richnyc (at) live DOT com

Cruise Critic Meet and Greet

October 30th at 5 PM in the Lanai Martini Bar on Deck 13 (Forward).

It is also listed in the RSVP schedule.

Have a good flight, see you end of the week, some of us still have to work... :(

Hi All,

We are in the last throws of packing and Mike, Sam and I are looking for advice with what to bring for dinner.

I would really rather eat cheese and crackers out of a vending machine at the bus station than have to dress up for dinner, but I wanted to see if there was a general consensus on if shorts (dressy resort style) will be allowed in the main dining room.

What does the group think?

So excited that we leave for the 'Left Coast' tomorrow for a few days before heading to Honolulu on Friday. :)

Hi All,

We are in the last throws of packing and Mike, Sam and I are looking for advice with what to bring for dinner.

I would really rather eat cheese and crackers out of a vending machine at the bus station than have to dress up for dinner, but I wanted to see if there was a general consensus on if shorts (dressy resort style) will be allowed in the main dining room.

What does the group think?

So excited that we leave for the 'Left Coast' tomorrow for a few days before heading to Honolulu on Friday. :)

RSVP and the ship agree on what the appropriate the dress code for dinner would be. NCL is casual so jeans and khakis are fine and that is what I am taking. I don't know how shorts would go down. (OK, I have some idea ;) )

Aloha gange - It sounds like Friday night will be a big night out for the local boys. People are excited that you're all coming over!

My guess is that the standard "circuit" will end up looking like this:

Day - Explore the Island! Queen's Beach really hasn't been that happening in awhile. It's quite eroded, the concessions aren't always open, and there's a sizeable homeless camp in the park nearby. So go hike Diamond Head, rent a car and loop around the island, learn to surf (there might be a small SW swell, which would be perfect for beginners in Waikiki), whatever.

Happy Hour to 2 am - Hulas will be your default bar. LoJax has not caught on, and Fusions is hen parties until 1:30 am. No one goes there before 2am. Wang Chung is a nice, albeit very small, alternative. It's worthwhile to pop in for a drink!

For a mixed crowd: an evening drink at the Beach Bar at the classic Moana Surfrider should be de rigueur for everyone. It's a lovely place.

Eating - Dining in Waikiki can be a challenge, and what was good last year isn't this year. Morimoto's new place is getting all the buzz right now. I haven't been there yet. The Hula Grill above Duke's has an excellent view from the lanai, and has good Hawaiian fusion takes on local fish. The ahi "poke" tacos with wasabi guacamole are excellent. Cheesecake Factory has big plates of yummy fatty goodness. For lunch, Me's Korean Barbecue is about the only place in Waikiki that is both good and affordable; it's a surfers' favorite.

Halloween - A lot of guys from O`ahu are flying to Maui for their party, and you'll be in port that day. This one is shaping up to be a pretty big event!

RSVP and the ship agree on what the appropriate the dress code for dinner would be. NCL is casual so jeans and khakis are fine and that is what I am taking. I don't know how shorts would go down. (OK, I have some idea ;) )

I asked RSVP and the answer is: "No shorts or tank tops or swim wear".

I asked RSVP and the answer is: "No shorts or tank tops or swim wear".

Darn. I wonder if they would mind the a$$less chaps though? :eek: It's so tough to have to run back to the room and change before the Blackout Party, would just be easier to wear them to dinner. (Just so everyone know's I'm kidding!)

Thanks for finding out Peter! See you guys in a few days!

What do some of you have planned for the Kona day? We're not doing an excursion and was wondering what there is to do nearby. I saw that there is a beach a few miles north of the pier (Honokohau Beach) but I am not sure if it is nice or if there is a better beach nearby.

It won't kill any of us to look decent for dinner.

I've got a pair of linen trousers packed as does my friend. I checked with NCL regarding wearing leather flip flops in the dining rooms and they said it would probably be okay if worn with nice clothes.

I've got a pair of linen trousers packed as does my friend. I checked with NCL regarding wearing leather flip flops in the dining rooms and they said it would probably be okay if worn with nice clothes.

I wore flip flops with jeans on the last 4 NCL cruises I have been on with no problems. Even Holland America did not mind on the gay cruises.

Aloha gange - It sounds like Friday night will be a big night out for the local boys. People are excited that you're all coming over!

My guess is that the standard "circuit" will end up looking like this:

Day - Explore the Island! Queen's Beach really hasn't been that happening in awhile. It's quite eroded, the concessions aren't always open, and there's a sizeable homeless camp in the park nearby. So go hike Diamond Head, rent a car and loop around the island, learn to surf (there might be a small SW swell, which would be perfect for beginners in Waikiki), whatever.

Happy Hour to 2 am - Hulas will be your default bar. LoJax has not caught on, and Fusions is hen parties until 1:30 am. No one goes there before 2am. Wang Chung is a nice, albeit very small, alternative. It's worthwhile to pop in for a drink!

For a mixed crowd: an evening drink at the Beach Bar at the classic Moana Surfrider should be de rigueur for everyone. It's a lovely place.

Eating - Dining in Waikiki can be a challenge, and what was good last year isn't this year. Morimoto's new place is getting all the buzz right now. I haven't been there yet. The Hula Grill above Duke's has an excellent view from the lanai, and has good Hawaiian fusion takes on local fish. The ahi "poke" tacos with wasabi guacamole are excellent. Cheesecake Factory has big plates of yummy fatty goodness. For lunch, Me's Korean Barbecue is about the only place in Waikiki that is both good and affordable; it's a surfers' favorite.

Halloween - A lot of guys from O`ahu are flying to Maui for their party, and you'll be in port that day. This one is shaping up to be a pretty big event!

HiSurfer! Are you on the RSVP cruise? We met on last year's Atlantis Mexican Riviera Cruise on board Marinated on the Sea. We did the zip line/waterfall rappelling, rope bridge thing in PV in the pouring down rain...was a blast!

Mark

What do some of you have planned for the Kona day? We're not doing an excursion and was wondering what there is to do nearby. I saw that there is a beach a few miles north of the pier (Honokohau Beach) but I am not sure if it is nice or if there is a better beach nearby.

We aren't doing an excursion here, either, because I have read that Kona is an ideal walking port. Several important historical sites are within strolling distance of the tender dock, and there is a nice little crescent beach right there. Also there is the Kona Inn Shopping Village, and a free shuttle will take you to Hilo Hattie and the Kona Coast Shopping Center.

You can reach the beaches south of Kona by taking the Ali'i Shuttle, which is a public bus that runs along Ali'i Drive.

Jim and Bill.......pineapple tour...on Friday before the cruise.......I'm gonna shoot for it and will look into it on the web. Maybe we can get a small group together...the more the merrier. I want to see how they make those holes in the slices before they put it in the can. I have fantasies about the equipment! LOL

A pineapple split.....scrumpscious.......:p

Okay-a couple of things:

The cruise is Saturday, not Friday

What happened to the Friday morning Diamond Head hike? You were so easily swayed by a pineapple sundae?:eek:

Well.... !!!

Record-breaking storms in the Midwest this morning, and for the next 2 days.

ORD has an incoming ground stop....

But.

Our Plane is on the ground at ORD, and at the gate waiting.

With more than a little luck, the Limo will be here, and the traffic won't be impassible with the power out all over, and we will get to the gate on time.

Then, we might take off.

Or not.

Sigh.

Safe and happy travels to you all. We will let you know if United 1 gets going today or not.

Well.... !!!

But.

With more than a little luck, the Limo will be here, and the traffic won't be impassible with the power out all over, and we will get to the gate on time.

Then, we might take off.

Or not.

Sigh.

Safe and happy travels to you all. We will let you know if United 1 gets going today or not.

What is it with you and flights?! Too bad the Winnabago can't make it all the way to Hawaii. ;)

Safe travels everyone.

Well.... !!!

But.

Then, we might take off.

Or not.

Sigh.

We have to go through ORD on Thursday morning. Just read about the ORD stoppage. We already had a horrendous delay at ORD earlier this year coming back from South Beach - ugh! It was a nightmare. I am so hoping that this itinerary goes smoothly. I hope your flight gets off on time or - at the very worst - you are only minimally delayed.

Safe travels to everyone, and see you in Hawaii!

I'm renting a car everywhere else but Kona. Decided to do the kayaking excursion listed on the NCL excursions site. Looks like a nice outing.

Speaking of weather. Kauai will have rain for the next 5 days BUT the forecast is for sunny by next Thursday when the ship arrives. It looks like it will be nice for the cruise. We were worried because Hawaii is supposed to have a WET winter this year. That is good news for us because we have been needing the rain.

It looks like Maui will be partly cloudy on Sunday and Monday which makes for a great beach day. I will warn folks who plan to go to Little Beach to get a beach umbrella because there is little shade there. Ours is already on the ship in the hands of the cruise host (who you will all enjoy). I took him on a Kauai hike last week and got lots of good tips about the ship.

Archived