Cruise lines and the economy

LiseD

We just returned from a cruise and my husband and I got in this discussion about how the cruise lines are "making it" in this economy. (Actually when we saw 6 ships in Grand Cayman we decided the economy can't be too bad! ha ha)

OK...here is the real question....for you veteran cruisers.....the cruise lines seem to be offering pretty low fares these days. Do you see any changes in service, food, # of employees or what is being offered on the trip to off set the low fares? OR...do they still make so much money on other revenues (ie gambling, alcohol, shore excursions) that they can still offer the same quality service?

We have all seen the decline in what airlines offer so just wondering if the cruise lines have had to make similar cuts?

The answer you will find will vary by cruise line.

Certainly, each cruise line is trying to reduce its costs. Just as they have reduced their cruise fares the are pushing their vendors to reduce costs for various services that are purchased by the cruise line. At the same time, many cruise lines are reducing to some extent the services they provide. Some of this might be minor and some might be more obvious.

It is certainly challenging time for many industries and hopefully the cruise industry wlll manage through this environment without having to make significant changes in the quality of their respective products.

Keith

The changes that they have made are supposed to be transparent. IOW back of the house changes that are not supposed to be seen or felt by their clients.

However, after reading the boards and some of my experience, there have been some changes that are affecting the overall product.

I know we dance around this subject sometimes but I have most definitely noticed a change in the overall product but it would be unrealistic to expect otherwise. Cruiselines are in the hospitality industry which has taken a real hammering and so they do what they have to in order to get "bums on seats" starting with very aggressive pricing and cost cutting in other areas. I still think they offer remarkable value for money for what they actually provide, ie, a more or less fully inclusive vacation including entertainment. I wish the whingers on the lookout for refunds or compensation over really very minor irritations would remember this and try to find a Caribbean ocean-side resort including travel where they could get even close to the same deal.

We have noticed small reductions in the product, year by year, ever since we started cruising, in, or about 1996, however on our last cruise I don't remember any added cutbacks, although entertainment may have taken a small hit. This is an area that could have had a cut, since the overall product seemed poorer.

john

Archived