Sea Sickness and Cure / Prevention

arobryn

Hi all - I'm sure this topic has been addressed, but a half hour of searching hasn't found it so I'm gonna ask -

First - what are people's sea sickness cures?

Second - was I sea sick? I've only cruised once and it was pretty calm (noticed ship movement, but it wasn't extreme), but almost the whole trip I felt sort of tired and fuzzy headed (no excessive drinking - I was feeling groggy enough - I didn't want to make it worse with alcohol). Not sick in my stomach. I'm wondering if I had a mild head cold and the ship movement exagerated it. Or is this a motion sickness symptom, also? I intend to ask my doc about it, but figured I might get more feedback from cruise experts.

We're planning on doing a trans Atlantic this summer so I want to do some research and see if I can remedy the problem this time.

Thanks in advance!

~ L'aura

Here's just one thread that covers many of the issues you are concerned about. I'm a Bonine person -- one in the morning and one before dinner. I start taking them one or 2 days before sailing. I don't get drowsy and can still enjoy the Martini Bar! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1096048&highlight=sea+sickness

Smooth sailing!

tt

Your symptoms sound more like jet lag than seasickness.

You'd be either sick to your stomach/dizzy etc.

I also take a generic for Bonine. The med in it is Meclazine. You need to start it before the ship sails but I wait until I am on board not days before.

Hi all - I'm sure this topic has been addressed, but a half hour of searching hasn't found it so I'm gonna ask -

First - what are people's sea sickness cures?

Second - was I sea sick? I've only cruised once and it was pretty calm (noticed ship movement, but it wasn't extreme), but almost the whole trip I felt sort of tired and fuzzy headed (no excessive drinking - I was feeling groggy enough - I didn't want to make it worse with alcohol). Not sick in my stomach. I'm wondering if I had a mild head cold and the ship movement exagerated it. Or is this a motion sickness symptom, also? I intend to ask my doc about it, but figured I might get more feedback from cruise experts.

We're planning on doing a trans Atlantic this summer so I want to do some research and see if I can remedy the problem this time.

Thanks in advance!

~ L'aura

It doesn't sound like sea sickness, you would be nauseated! A friend of mine uses a presure point braclet, it works for her. I take dramamine with me , but never have had to use it. Take somethings with you, and see first, I wouldn't want to be groggy on the trip. The braclet has no side effects so you might try it.

arobyn - What you describe is exactly how I feel when "seasick" -- no nausea, only an overwhelming dizziness and feeling like my hands held 10 pound weights. I was so miserable, on one cruise in chopppy water the symptoms even awakened me while I was asleep in the middle of the night.

Ginger, bonine and dramamine did absolutely nothing for me. About six cruises ago, (out of desperation because it was so expensive), I tried the ReliefBand http://www.relief-band-watch.com/ and I have had no symptoms since. I even managed a couple hurricanes and a two day crossing of the Tasman Sea.

I hope you find something that works for you. Cruising is so worth it. :)

I have the same symptoms when I cruise it is not a seasickness for me it is an inner ear problem. Bonine is the only way I can cruise. One in the morning and one at night. I start it the morning of embarkation and never get the symptoms anymore. Hope this helps!

Thats not jet lag. Jet lag is when your internal body clock is not adjusted to local time( it is afternoon but your body thinks it is bedtime,, or its the middle of the night but you are ready for breakfast) . Travel fatique is more like that ,, but one gets over that after a few days.

That does describe how I sometimes feel when I cruise though,, so I do think it is a type of seasickness. Seasickness is an inner ear thing for most people,, and yes,, that can and does make most of us feel sick to our stomachs,, but for me,, only if seas are rocky. If seas are calm,, I can get that feeling you describe.

I take a Bonnie once in am and once in pm.. works for me. I take first pill in am before I board ship,, and I take lowest dose( chidrens even) I can. If seas are rough,, I take more and stronger dose. It is a blessing.

I agree that it does sound like motion sickness. The inner ear is highly involved with motion sickness, hence the dizziness. Some people feel nauseous, but not dizzy. Me, I get dizzy first. Actually, I get real sleepy first, then light-headed.

Dramamine is an antihistamine. It clears the inner ear, no dizziness. Problem solved. Bonine (meclazine) is an antiemetic. Not sure how it works, but it does and with a lot less drowsiness than Dramanime.

Archived