Hotel Directors on NCL Ships

sjnyc323

Interesting to see the fans of the HD's on the ship.

Don't get me wrong, the HD on both of our cruises showed up at our M&Gs, they seemed to have a very nice personality and both assured our groups that if we had a problem we should feel free to come to them.

OK since I didn't have any issues, or at least none that warranted seeking out a HD for, what would be the deciding factor to whether I had a fabulous HD or not?

I've never understood the facination with HD, F&B, CD etc. Even the captain for that matter. Now personality wise, I felt our 2nd captain was a lot more visual than our first and very friendly with a good sense of humor when you spoke with him. But seriously as nice as that is as long as he keeps me safe and gets me to where I'm going, I don't see the big deal about him either.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing something :confused:

The Hotel Director is the 'boss' of 95% + of the ship's crew. The better the boss, the happier the crew.

Plus, some HDs just stand out.

There are 4 who I would love to sail with anytime:

Sean

Klaus

Prem

Armando

Armando is one that I don't hear much about, but when I had a minor issue which I approached him about, not only was it rectified within minutes, but he greeted me by full name the rest of the trip, whenever our paths crossed.

Even better....he remembered every detail when we sailed with him again a couple of years later.

I vote for Rosita Shandy on the Sun, and Dennis Prguda, who is currently on the Epic. They are both outstanding Hotel Directors, very personable and hardworking.

I was unimpressed with Dennis. Is Rosita still on the Sun?

Stephen

The Hotel Director is the 'boss' of 95% + of the ship's crew. The better the boss, the happier the crew.

Plus, some HDs just stand out.

Stephen

Well since my crew was fantastic and appeared very happy, I had good HDs ;) Don't ask me their names, I have no idea :)

I guess I'll just have to wait until I get one that "stands out"

I am thinking about taking my wife on a last minute cruise aboard Epic. Looking to go anytime between Dec. 10-31st. Does anyone know who the Hotel Director will be on any of the above dates onboard Epic? I agree, the Hotel Director really makes a difference in regards to the crew and service you receive.

Just off the GEM yesterday

Stephen (Knott?) from Australia was fabulous

we had my daughters birthday on board and he brought some of the head officers to the restaurant to sing HB to her.

then after the fact each day she received chocolates, and chocolate covered strawberries to munch on.

he has a mailbox at the reception desk, you can write him anything, commend the staff, or just say hi. I had my DD write him a thank you note.

Interesting to see the fans of the HD's on the ship.

Don't get me wrong, the HD on both of our cruises showed up at our M&Gs, they seemed to have a very nice personality and both assured our groups that if we had a problem we should feel free to come to them.

OK since I didn't have any issues, or at least none that warranted seeking out a HD for, what would be the deciding factor to whether I had a fabulous HD or not?

I've never understood the facination with HD, F&B, CD etc. Even the captain for that matter. Now personality wise, I felt our 2nd captain was a lot more visual than our first and very friendly with a good sense of humor when you spoke with him. But seriously as nice as that is as long as he keeps me safe and gets me to where I'm going, I don't see the big deal about him either.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing something :confused:

I think the thing that impresses me most about a person in any position on the ship is that they remember names and faces. Those people see approximately two thousand or more people every week and deal with a myriad of problems and situations, but still remember details and take the time to welcome you. I am not only talking about officers. There are many waiters, stewards, officers, and others who call us by name and some we haven't seen for three or four years. It is like visiting old friends and talking about family and mutual friends.

The squeals, hugs, and warm welcomes are priceless !!!!

My vote is for John O'Hara but yes I did find one HD that I did not like, it was on the old Majesty years ago.

Funny you should mention this Hotel Director, he was on my last Jewel cruise in January 2010 and I didn't care for him much either. :cool: He definitely didn't do much for the crew morale on that ship either. :eek:

I vote for Calvin Lodge who has been the HD on several of my cruises.

He's very friendly, interesting, and seems well-liked by the crew.

I'm with you. I had Calvin on the Sun once and twice on the Dawn every thing ran like clock work no problems at all. That tell tells me the H.D. on the ball.

My vote would be for John O' Hara. He made my Jan 2010 cruise on the Jewel the most memorable and special one to date. It saddens me he is now longer with NCL. I hoping to be on one of his ships again. I had read on these boards he was going to Pride of America.

Oh well such is life.

My vote would be for John O' Hara. He made my Jan 2010 cruise on the Jewel the most memorable and special one to date. It saddens me he is now longer with NCL. I hoping to be on one of his ships again. I had read on these boards he was going to Pride of America.

Oh well such is life.

I agree, John O'Hara was the best. I just read a review of the POA from June 2011 and he was HD at that time but no longer. I thought he left NCL quite some time ago, but yet he was in Hawaii 6mo. ago. Hummmm!

John made the decision to leave NCL in August, saying he wanted to be home more. Being away from family for 4 to 6 months at a time would be wearing on anyone, not just John.

He was by far the best hotel director hands down. Sadly when he left NCL, it really dropped NCL down a bar in my book. Not only was he great towards passengers, he was one of the only hotel directors that the Pride of America had that told crew words of encouragement, good job, keep it up etc. A very missed man onboard.

Archived