Booked connecting rooms now not available

Nannersmom

In July one member of our group going on the Ectasy booked connecting rooms. BTW yes we are using a TA. When the TA contacting Carnival for deposit payment. Carnival applied the deposit to only one cabin, so when final payment was made, we got told the connecting cabins were not available because of this mix up. Seems there is already someone in that second cabin. Carnival said they will not move them...even though this was Carnivals mistake! Our family member was told they could be moved to have two cabins side by side, but they are traveling with younger kids so this isn't really feasible (hence the need for connecting cabins) My TA keeps trying to work with Carnival on this but Carnival is not budging and Carnival will not talk me or the family member since we used a TA...Any suggestions?

No, this is not "Carnival's fault". Carnival books what the TA tells them to book.....and reconfirms the entire booking on the phone..and follows up the reservation with a printed confirmation. Anytime a deposit is made, an invoice is generated to your TA - or to you if you've booked direct.

You TA most likely made the error and now wants to put it on Carnival to keep herself out of trouble.

You should have been copied in with every confirmation and invoice generated. Look at those documents to see what it says.

And, you are right....Carnival will not interfere with a travel agent booking...they will not deal with you at all...and your travel agent knows that. It's very easy for an agent to lay the blame on Carnival knowing that they won't talk to you.

You can always call the agent and have her set up a 3-way conversation between you, she and Carnival......that will straighten it out.

We could have saved you some time and told you that all people count, no matter their ages. It is a coast guard thing from what Iv been told. They count each person for the muster station, no matter big or small, and only a set amount allowed for each muster boat.

I know to you, it is like a hotel where you can sneak in someone not registered, but thats not how a ship works ...so you have to count everyone, its not a matter of the beds per se.

Between the posters here we probably know as much about booking as your TA and whomever they are talking to at Carnival. Its still not clear to us that Carnival is sharing the blame ... I missed where you had the 3 way and heard Carnival admit they were to blame in any way. The TA should have been keeping track of the bookings and didnt. Anyway, ask away, as people here will at least be able to tell you things like they count each person and you can only put 3 people in a cabin rated for 3.

fire

At first I felt insulted at the remark that "think this is like a hotel" but then I know you are just trying to help

We do not think of this as an "hotel" we know we can't "sneak" anyone in. We were not trying to sneak anyone in. The infant is paid for, in full. She will show up on all manifests and would be counted per muster. This wondering in our minds is why we would need larger then a double since the infant would be in her parents cabin. We were explained that is a maritime thing. We as a group were just trying to find a way to "fix" the situation. We even as a group wondered about moving one of the three children into one of our cabins (fully with Carnival's blessing so every body is counted for fully). My mom and sister offered to do this but my cousin does not want to as she did not want to burden them with any resposiblities for her child. Others (myself included) do not see the big deal, but let's give my cousin the credit that she at least feels parenting her child is her responsiblity and not the groups. My husband and I even said the child could be moved into our cabin or my uncle who is traveling alone said he would take one of the boys. It is not a matter of trust to my cousin, it is the matter of parenting responsiblity.

fire

At first I felt insulted at the remark that "think this is like a hotel" but then I know you are just trying to help.

OK well I snunk someone into our hotel room in Galveston that didnt have a hotel room for Crazies and she didnt pay for a 3rd person in the hotel room ..I meant a ship is different, you cant get by with that.

Once you are on the ship .... you can move that pack n play and the infant can sleep wherever you want. You just have to book them into a cabin that sleeps the right number (nothing to do with if they choose to sleep elsewhere).

Move the infant in, and move people around once you get on the ship. Even if you have to put a mattress on the floor. Where they sleep and where they are booked are different things on a ship. sorry if I said it wrong, I open mouth and insert foot.

fire.

Happy New Year too you! I am sure we can be friends!

And I have been known to stretch the rules on hotels :)

Another set of my grandkids live in ND. When we go to visit them, we stay at a hotel that is attached to an indoor waterpark. If you stay at the hotel, the park is free. So...we list the kids on the room so they get to play in the waterpark the week we are there...they just don't sleep with us. On the other hand, if they wanted to, they are able to stay the night.

People book cabins they dont plan on sleepin in all the time... just keep that in mind. Grandma plans on sleeping by herself, but they put Sissy in with her because she cant be in with parents ... but then the cruise comes and Sissy sleeps on the sofa with parents.

You just have to satisfy the rules when you book so that there will be a muster jacket in the booked cabin for each person.

Im in a cruisin' mood, get to cruise end of January again.... good luck. Hope you can find a way to book and just go and try to enjoy, even if a parent has to sleep in a different cabin then they planned on to watch out for the kids.

Oh well, at least sharing this may help others to know what to look for as soon as they get their confirmation from TA or Carnival. Time to move on. Besides, whatever the outcome, we cruise in one month.

Glad to see 2009 behind, been a rough year for me, so I guess that is why I was letting these things bother me.

I guess I wanted things to be "perfect" as this cruise was my idea, it is to celebrate my 25th anniversay. For a second time around, (or even the first!) this is a big mile stone to reach. Other issues had happened and this just fit into the " what the heck else can be screwed up section"

Reading these boards have given me some great hints that we are going to do. First off, decorating our doors. and I got scrapbooking supplies for the kids. Most of them will be old enough to do their own.

I have learned a few things...like being able to ask for a conference call. That was a new step for me

To everyone - have a wonderful New Year. May you and your families be blessed.

nannersmom -

Happy New Year to you also!

I've lost track - I take it you've suggested upgrade to connecting Balconies (as the lowest category connecting cabins available) and Carnival is resisting?

ken

nannersmom -

I've lost track - I take it you've suggested upgrade to connecting Balconies (as the lowest category connecting cabins available) and Carnival is resisting?

ken

They booked thru a TA and the TA is already saying they took $500 out of their pockets to upgrade them to side by side cabins at the current rates. I dont think the TA would pay more to upgrade them, especially as rates are probably higher now than when they originally booked.

nannersmom ..... I agree put it behind you and enjoy your cruise. No cruise is perfect. You just cant let things bother you.

nannersmom -

ken

Ken,

I've lost track a little myself. The last I read the connecting balconies were both doubles and CCL said no rollaways could be but into one of those cabins.

I can only guess that they have reached the limit but can't understand why they were booked into a double cabin with a rollaway and going to 2 doubles with 1 rollaway that put CCL over the limit??

I would think one would cancel the other out and keep the count the same.

Bill

They booked thru a TA and the TA is already saying they took $500 out of their pockets to upgrade them to side by side cabins at the current rates. I dont think the TA would pay more to upgrade them, especially as rates are probably higher now than when they originally booked.

nannersmom ..... I agree put it behind you and enjoy your cruise. No cruise is perfect. You just cant let things bother you.

I agree that it's time to adjust to the situation and start enjoying the cruise.

Only of academic interest - I'm still not understanding why Carnival apparently took responsibility for the situation but the TA is apparently the one paying to (somewhat) rectify it.

ken

I agree that it's time to adjust to the situation and start enjoying the cruise.

Only of academic interest - I'm still not understanding why Carnival apparently took responsibility for the situation but the TA is apparently the one paying to (somewhat) rectify it.

ken

Carnival never took responsibility that I know of, but the OP said it was both the fault of Carnival and the TA. I dont see that as Carnival taking responsibility, just taking some of the blame from the OP.

Carnival never took responsibility that I know of, but the OP said it was both the fault of Carnival and the TA. I dont see that as Carnival taking responsibility, just taking some of the blame from the OP.

Post #36: "Okay, had the conference call. Carnival did say they messed up, but the best they can do is upgrade them to side by side cabins."

Sounds like Carnival took the blame, but also sounds from this that Carnival upgraded them????

ken

Some questions answered...

Carnival said there was a "mistake made" on the booking. Due to the mistake, an upgrade was completed. Per the conversation, this was "paid for"- TA claimed she paid for it. I don't know if "monies" were exchanged between to Carnival and TA, maybe Carnival gave her a discount on the updgrade that I don't know about. Carnival said they do not discuss the "fees arranged" with TA per agreements. Personally, if the TA paid for it, so be it. Like I mentioned before, TA caused other issues that had to be addressed. As those issues were between my group and the TA (not Carnival), I felt no need to post them here.

We were told the connecting cabins would not work because they were doubles and they can not place 3 people in a double. (Cousin is a family of 5)

I went to the TA and Carnival before I mentioned anything on this board. I got additional help from other posters (like I had the right to ask for a conference call). Which getting to talk to them gave me some leverage to get to the truth.

I have a letter set up to go to the TA employer (not just the local supervisor and they have heard my issues and don't do much about it). I am just waiting until after the cruise to send it just in case more happens. Which I am hoping this is it!

Did I clarify a few things?

Carnival said there was a "mistake made" on the booking. Due to the mistake, an upgrade was completed. ?

Carnival is being professional ... not taking any blame or saying the TA screwed up ... they said "a mistake was made" (didnt say by them if what you say they said is true), which is as I and G'ma surmised. ... Carnival would never take the blame. It would be out of character.

Dont let the TA sway you into this is Carnival's fault. The TA is your booking agent, which makes it their fault for not handling this. I also notice the TA didnt agree to pay for the upgrade until after the conference call. So it accomplished something.

Carnival said there was a "mistake made" on the booking. Due to the mistake, an upgrade was completed. Per the conversation, this was "paid for"- TA claimed she paid for it. I don't know if "monies" were exchanged between to Carnival and TA, maybe Carnival gave her a discount on the updgrade that I don't know about. Carnival said they do not discuss the "fees arranged" with TA per agreements. Personally, if the TA paid for it, so be it. Like I mentioned before, TA caused other issues that had to be addressed. As those issues were between my group and the TA (not Carnival), I felt no need to post them here.

We were told the connecting cabins would not work because they were doubles and they can not place 3 people in a double. (Cousin is a family of 5)

I went to the TA and Carnival before I mentioned anything on this board. I got additional help from other posters (like I had the right to ask for a conference call). Which getting to talk to them gave me some leverage to get to the truth.

I have a letter set up to go to the TA employer (not just the local supervisor and they have heard my issues and don't do much about it). I am just waiting until after the cruise to send it just in case more happens. Which I am hoping this is it!

Did I clarify a few things?

nannersmom - Didn't mean to involve you anymore! We were just speculating over the claims of the TA, who sounds a bit suspect to me.

On boarding, I'd consider tracking down your cabin steward, briefly mentioning there was a booking screw-up, and asking if it's remotely possible that he/she could come-up with a Rollaway for the cabin - probably won't happen, but you never can tell. If it DOES happen, a few extra $$$ to the steward at the endo of the cruise.

Time to start anticipating the cruise and discarding negative vibes!!!!! Enjoy!!!

ken

Figuring the weather people are forcasting a temp of -5 with the windchill tonight and temps staying

Its been cooler here than usual and 3 snows already this year in Texas.

.... Its why I book in late January, to break up the winter and get where its warm. Im with ya.

nannersmom - Didn't mean to involve you anymore! We were just speculating over the claims of the TA, who sounds a bit suspect to me.

On boarding, I'd consider tracking down your cabin steward, briefly mentioning there was a booking screw-up, and asking if it's remotely possible that he/she could come-up with a Rollaway for the cabin - probably won't happen, but you never can tell. If it DOES happen, a few extra $$$ to the steward at the endo of the cruise.

Time to start anticipating the cruise and discarding negative vibes!!!!! Enjoy!!!

ken

Opps, hit something to soon

So with cold temps...that cruise is going to feel great!

Wow! I'm sorry to hear your story.

Now, I'm not saying any of this is true, but just speculating on my own...

Sounds to me like the booking was made by the TA and the TA got the booking numbers (pre-deposit) with the rooms. Then when the deposit was given to the TA, the TA only included one of the booking numbers when placing the deposit with CCL and so the full deposit was put on one room instead of both rooms. When the deadline for the deposit was passed, one room had the double deposit and the other room had none, so the room with no deposit was "canceled" and went back into the available pool and another couple booked the room. So, the fault was the TA's for not being careful about putting both booking numbers when placing the deposit with CCL. This would also explain why the TA was paying the money out of pocket to try to compensate the irate parents.

This is one of the reasons that the last two family cruises we've set up, we've booked directly with CCL and had a PVP that was the POC for everyone. Each family member contacted the PVP and made the arrangements. In fact, the PVP even contacted the group leader when any questions or problems came up. The PVP was even nice enough to let both my brother and I be group leaders and she contacted both of us when any questions came up. This helped us a lot. And booking directly with CCL, we got several bonuses (we got some credits for group photo discounts and even a $50 OBC for the cabins in our group). The PVP was excellent in helping us decide what bonuses to get and applying them to all group cabins.

Back to your problem. One suggestion for a solution is to look at the suites. There are several suites on the "Upper Deck" / deck 6 that have a king bed and a sofa couch that can sleep two. If they can put a rollaway bed there, then you have a suite (which is rather large) that your whole family can be in. It may not be as nice as having two adjoining connecting cabins, but you have the peace of mind of having everyone in the cabin. The cabins are quite large (pretty close to the space of two cabins) with the only drawback being only one bathroom. However, for getting ready, you can send the kids to the spa to shower and change for dinner. Just a suggestion for another option to consider. I have no idea which cruise you are on and whether the suites are available, but it sounds to me as if that might be an option for the parents to be able to keep track of the kids better.

Good luck and I hope everyone still enjoys the cruise.

Thanks Snoopy!

The family would need to have two bathrooms because...the father suffers really bad from motion sickness. IF he had a problem he would not by "tying up" the only bathroom...plus with the connecting cabins,if he did not feel well, he could lay down in one cabin and the family could be in the other.

BTW...our group is being given a $100 OBC per cabin booked...per Carnival and my TA, every group is given this.

Thanks Snoopy!

The family would need to have two bathrooms because...the father suffers really bad from motion sickness. IF he had a problem he would not by "tying up" the only bathroom...plus with the connecting cabins,if he did not feel well, he could lay down in one cabin and the family could be in the other.

BTW...our group is being given a $100 OBC per cabin booked...per Carnival and my TA, every group is given this.

Yes, I remember now--we had the option of the $100 OBC or splitting the perks. We opted for $50 in OBC per cabin and the group photos with frames for each room, plus a couple of other things. Our "value" was about $125-130 per cabin in perks this way, and since we were going for my parents 50th anniversary, we wanted the group photos for everyone.

Well, good luck with everything.

Dear Nannersmom,

I have a sister "nanner" so I'm nannersister...one of the best sisters...but truly no favorites.

Thank you to you and all for the education...if only I remember all the details.

Biggest family vacation I have had is last year. This week exactly. My parents 50th

and all spouses, children, and grandkids. Sixteen folks total. 4 timeshare condos on the

Big Island. The killer by far was the air out of here for 16 folks. We did all the tricks...

that all the details would allow. I am the 50 year old, eleven months after mom and dad

married. Sister just had her 25th. I am really pushing for an Alaskan cruise while all still here and healthy...Dad is weakening.

Thank you for all of this...thank you for all entries. I hope to remember details...have a

fantastic time. The planning, to me, is often toughest of all possible challenges.

Again, have a great time, and thank you. sjn911

Dear Nannersmom,

I have a sister "nanner" so I'm nannersister...one of the best sisters...but truly no favorites.

Thank you to you and all for the education...if only I remember all the details.

Biggest family vacation I have had is last year. This week exactly. My parents 50th

and all spouses, children, and grandkids. Sixteen folks total. 4 timeshare condos on the

Big Island. The killer by far was the air out of here for 16 folks. We did all the tricks...

that all the details would allow. I am the 50 year old, eleven months after mom and dad

married. Sister just had her 25th. I am really pushing for an Alaskan cruise while all still here and healthy...Dad is weakening.

Thank you for all of this...thank you for all entries. I hope to remember details...have a

fantastic time. The planning, to me, is often toughest of all possible challenges.

Again, have a great time, and thank you. sjn911

Just make sure for every cabin booked it has a seperate confirmation number from Carnival.not just a seperate invoice! Also groups get special perks but the group has to have a minimum of 8 cabins. If you elect to use a TA, just make sure all the paperwork given is double checked for errors!. Carnival does it own group sales, so you may want to deal with them direct

The planning part can be time consuming. Not only was I working with the TA, but I also researched the hotel the group will be staying at in Galveston, parking during the cruies, arranging for flights and car rentals and excursions. What added to that "fun" is I am the only one of my group in NC, everyone else is in either Chicago or San Diego! And basically the "computer advanced" people are me(not really that advanced) and my daughter (her husband is an IT specialist) in San Diego, so most of our stuff with everyone else has been done by phone! Email or even a chat program is great to have.

We decided as a group to just have a pizza party at the hotel the night before we cruise. The hotel has an indoor pool the kids can play in and the adults can just catch up with each other. Some of them I have not seen in 2 years!

Archived